• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxEra - Every First Party Xbox Game Will Launch Day One on Game Pass - Sarah Bond

Tfault

Could not find this posted.

In a recent interview at the Bloomberg Technology Summit Sarah Bond said:

“And the last piece is about game pass. We know our core users love game pass, game pass is a gaming subscription, you get a whole portfolio of games, but importantly you get every single one of the games we build day one in game pass. and the quality and the breadth of those games has only been going up over time. And you’re going to see some more really big games going into Game Pass later this year.”

Dina: “From Activision’s portfolio or?”

Sarah: “Across the whole slate, across the whole slate, you’re going to see some really amazing things. And keeping that as something that is really special for Xbox players is central to us

Should end the debate on COD?

XboxEra

Last edited:

feynoob

Bored Blah Blah Blah GIF by ABC Network

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This doesn't necessarily end the debate.

She never explicitly said that COD games would launch on Game Pass day one.

They could also have a very extended (30 days or more) early access period, only available for buyers, not available on Game Pass. They could introduce a new, more expensive ($30 or more) tier that has Activision games.

There are a lot of things that are still intentionally vague.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The next COD, sure. It's a litmus test. We'll see about whatever comes after that.

I just don't believe COD is the sort of game that's going to make someone subscribe to Game Pass indefinitely. If you're going to play it actively for a long time, why would you suddenly start paying $15/m for access to other games you clearly weren't interested in before? You'll just buy COD, like you have done for the past X years.

And if you ARE subscribing just to check out COD for a while, are you really going to splash cash on cosmetics for a game you don't even own?

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The thing I found most interesting when clicking through is the sidebar which shows that XboxEra is trying to get it's readers to pay for them to go to Gamescom.

That's some grift.

They could also have a very extended (30 days or more) early access period, only available for buyers, not available on Game Pass. They could introduce a new, more expensive ($30 or more) tier that has Activision games.

This is all possible, while I would be shocked if its 30 days, I could easily see them releasing COD at retail 10 days before Game Pass. Also the Game Pass version is more basic, includes the single player and a more stripped back multiplayer that requires an additional purchase to unlock the full retail version.

Portugeezer

Sorry, but it's not day one when gamepass players have to wait 3 days unless they buy the $100 edition. (I hate this arbitrary practice, publishers can eat a dick)

Last edited:
The vast majority of COD revenue comes from MTX (78%), and less than 10% comes from Xbox.

It will have an impact but not as dramatic as it may look.
The question will be: will the 78% move their preferred platform if they get their base CoD for "free" on GP? Xbox or PC. Or will MS just lose some money on those less than 10% and the rest will move along as though nothing had happened?

Darsxx82

If the strategy is to continue releasing all the games day one including the biggest revenue generator each year (COD) which now would be 100% of each game vs 30% when it belonged to ABK... we are definitely going to see consequences of some kind to compensate.

Could be:

-Increase the price of GPU (although I think it is something that is going to happen no matter what)

-That the COD version be limited to the campaign or light version that forces core COD users to opt for the purchase.

-Bring more games to other platforms to compensate for what is lost in sales on your platform.

The other possibility is that they are thinking about an experiment and the next COD will come out on the GPU one day and have proof of how it would work. And the fact is that 60-70% of COD's income is via microtransactions and who knows if it could be compensated in some way for the fact that users could use the money they save in the game to acquire a greater number of game accessories .And let it also be done by people who are generally not core COD users but who will play thanks to the GPU.

We must remember that COD is also going to be released on Switch 2 and that will generate extra returns.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

Nah, pretty clear that “all” means “all”. The Xbox people are completely clueless and would never do something as intelligent as you suggest.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The conclusion I've come to from seeing that is that they are broke and their audience are also broke.

I think it's more that they don't have an audience. I've looked on their forum a couple of times, never more than about 20 people on there.*

But also, why would you pay for them to go, even if you were totally loaded?

*Edit: One for the record books today -28.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Tfault

They are lying every time when they open their mouth, and people still using their words as an evidence. Amazing, really.

Who else are we meant to use? Random youtubers? Random forum posters? One thing not believing them, another just to completely ignore them.

It's the starting point for debate regardless of one's opinion.

King Dazzar

Would you trust someone who evaluates Xbox's current poor hardware position as being industry wide (I've shortened the quotes):

Dina: “The energy around the console right now is a little challenged, many of the hardcore long-term consumers are worried”

Sarah: “Yeah, at first the worry that I see is happening across the industry and I think that a lot of what we see is just industry all up."

There's just no way they can justify releasing CoD on Game Pass day one to internal stakeholders without increasing the price of Game Pass significantly. If they do then that's awesome for those of you that have GP and want to play CoD, from a business angle it's borderline retarded.

There's just no way they can justify releasing CoD on Game Pass day one to internal stakeholders without increasing the price of Game Pass significantly. If they do then that's awesome for those of you that have GP and want to play CoD, from a business angle it's borderline retarded.
Well if Xbox collapses, it does honestly make you wonder how much it matters. Gamepass is not on PS5 or Switch. So the only thing it would potentially affect is PC, and PC sales are usually pretty strong.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
Should end the debate on COD.

First time in these threads on GAF? Some of these posts are people who have spent years desperately throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks when it comes to the end of GamePass. There is nothing anyone can say or anything that can happen that will change the posts or threads. Just look at the spin already happening in this thread. And I love reading it.

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

I mean you literally have someone trying to argue that “across the entire slate” doesn’t mean everything 😆😆

BlackTron

They don't really know yet. They're having an internal debate about it. If you asked Phil he would say DAY ONE. If you asked his boss the next week he would dodge his way out of it. They put themselves in a catch-22 without a real escape. Even if they "confirm" something we won't really know until it happens because they can't agree with each other.

Top Bottom