• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Eldon

When are the reviews coming out? I really want to know if it's 30-40€ worth or not.
I loved my playthroughs of XCOM2, I just want enough changes.

You can face one pod at a time and succeed retaliation missions. It's all about prioritizing the most dangerous enemies and controlling the rest with freeze/flashbang/etc in case you can't beat the pod in a turn. Later on you'll have tools to manage multiple pod encounters.

I havent really tried using flashbangs or decoys. I have only used the nanoscale armor so far..

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Buy War Bonds

Start w/ old war bond propaganda ads, devolve into photos of bonded soldiers chilling back at the base.

What about a Nemesis reference instead to sort of reference the Chosen feature. Nemesis 2.5; Shadow of War; Olgoth!; The return of Ratbag. Or a mix of the propaganda + nemesis hehe 'We want you for U.S. Nemesis.' 'Keep the Nemesis terror from your home - Buy War Bonds.' 'Nemesis Rises -- Buy War Bonds.'

Belker

Lol.
It's absolutely senseless. I was early in the game, but suffered some losses, and I blame the path finding that decided it was better to burst through a window than go around the corner.

I looked at the footage and realised I made the character jump through the window. Although the waypoint I gave her was in front of a door, the *line* to the waypoint actually went through the building - into window and opening door from the inside.

I don't think I'd ever cottoned on to the fat that the blue waypoint line is as important as the waypoint.

Jintor

honestly i'm still inclined to go with Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies. pretty sure the Mario + Rabbids OT is going to have an XCOM title so it'd be nice to wink back.

Belker

|OT| Game Overwatch. ?

Edit - actually Game and Overwatch would have been a good title for Mario Rabbids, referencing the game and watch.

Also are there any known problems with crashing? I have never played a more crash prone game than this. First I thought it was because lf gpu oc but that doesnt seem to change anything.

honestly i'm still inclined to go with Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies. pretty sure the Mario + Rabbids OT is going to have an XCOM title so it'd be nice to wink back.

Yeah, I like that.

Sändersson;247166880 said:
Also are there any known problems with crashing? I have never played a more crash prone game than this. First I thought it was because lf gpu oc but that doesnt seem to change anything.

The game tends to crash sometimes but it shouldn't be too frequent.

Whats the best way to reduce chances to miss? Its ridiculous how often I have two characters one square away from the enemy and both miss. I just missed two times with rangers melee sword. After that my ranger got critted and two other soldiers panicked which is means auto game over.

Sblargh

Banned
Sändersson;247169760 said:
Whats the best way to reduce chances to miss? Its ridiculous how often I have two characters one square away from the enemy and both miss. I just missed two times with rangers melee sword. After that my ranger got critted and two other soldiers panicked which is means auto game over.

Flanking.
High ground.
Explosives to destroy cover.

Swords are also notoriously unreliable, even with a high hit chance of 80-something%, you just can't trust the damn thing.

Sändersson;247166880 said:
Might be running tons of mods simultaneously and/or blowing up tons of the map. The game uses a lot of memory due to those features and the destruction stuff also happens to hammer CPUs too.

Jintor

yeah i really hope the promises they've made about improvements for the new game are right cos i just loaded up XCOM 2 and even on a brand new 1070 and another 8gb of ram since the last time I played it was NOT having a good time on the battlefield

Flanking.
High ground.
Explosives to destroy cover.

Swords are also notoriously unreliable, even with a high hit chance of 80-something%, you just can't trust the damn thing.

Aaaa ok, good to know. Im not lying when I say that the hit chance was actually 80%. xD

Sblargh

Banned
You know, I remember saying it near the launch that the best thing about the sword was freeing you from picking run and gun, because the sword is essentially a less reliable run and gun (but a run and gun regardless). But now with the AP system where you can pick both RnG and its alternative, I see even less of a future for swords.

Erheller

Sändersson;247170888 said:
Yeah I know but after missing like 8/10 80% hits it starts to feel very suspect. I think im actually gonna record how many high hit chance shots I miss when I continue. :p

Are you playing on Legendary? If you aren't, the game is cheating the RNG in your favor :p

Jintor

OT is basically ready, I need more video links and of course to link reviews and shit but I can just go ahead and post now if ya'll want.

I need to sleep quite badly so it's this or in like 7 hours

I think this one should be obvious:

XCOM 2: War Of The Chosen |OT| Choose Wisely Too

or, based on 'wot I think' review of it:
XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Power Rangers Are Go!

Or if you're feeling like it:

XCOM 2: War Of The Chosen |OT| Good Luck Everyone
(ending of Blackadder Goes Forth, where they storm out of their trench on to certain death)

Are you playing on Legendary? If you aren't, the game is cheating the RNG in your favor :p

Yeah I actully read about that. Seems veeeeery hard to believe. Im playin at commander.

Should the engineer/scientist rescue missions be skipped in the beginning? I quite honestly cant complete a single one of them. Panicking makes sure I lose every time. :/

Edit: not saying the game doesnt roll in favour of player. :p

Sändersson;247174128 said:
Should the engineer/scientist rescue missions be skipped in the beginning? I quite honestly cant complete a single one of them. Panicking makes sure I lose every time. :/
No, you pretty much need them to keep the research/build times from being absurd.

Aaaah nevermind imgonna give up for good. For some reason I just cant do anything in this game.

Im doing a defence mission which is going well, until an alien mind controlls my sniper, which it uses to kill one of my soldiers. It doesnt hurt too bad since the dead soldier was a rookie. I am able to kill the alien and continue towards the target.

I aggro 3 enemies, one stun dude, one alien and one "commander." I get one shot before lts the alien's turn and I miss. Now for some reason another mob is pulled. And its 3 vs 5. The stun dude rushes to my highest lvl character and BAM one shot crit. Now its 2 vs 5. Other enemies miss except for the alien which mind controls another character and now its effectively 1 vs 5. As if this was not enough a red flare spawns behind my characters telling me reinforcements are coming.

Which just seals the sweet gg deal. xD

Sblargh

Banned
Commander is tough dude. Think of difficulty as: rookie = easy, veteran = normal, commander = hard, legend = hard, but everything takes longer.

Erheller

Sändersson;247177830 said:
Aaaah nevermind imgonna give up for good. For some reason I just cant do anything in this game.

Im doing a defence mission which is going well, until an alien mind controlls my sniper, which it uses to kill one of my soldiers. It doesnt hurt too bad since the dead soldier was a rookie. I am able to kill the alien and continue towards the target.

I aggro 3 enemies, one stun dude, one alien and one "commander." I get one shot before lts the alien's turn and I miss. Now for some reason another mob is pulled. And its 3 vs 5. The stun dude rushes to my highest lvl character and BAM one shot crit. Now its 2 vs 5. Other enemies miss except for the alien which mind controls another character and now its effectively 1 vs 5. As if this was not enough red flare spawns behind my characters telling me reinforcements are coming.

Sounds like you just aren't used to the mechanics. Commander is not the difficulty to learn the game on. If you're aggroing enemies at the end of the turn, you're pushing too much at the end of your turns.

Consider starting a game on Veteran. It's more forgiving and will let you actually learn how the game works. XCOM is game that isn't afraid to pummel players who make poor decisions, and it's extremely apparent on Commander and Legendary.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Sändersson;247177830 said:

I aggro 3 enemies, one stun dude, one alien and one "commander." I get one shot before lts the alien's turn and I miss. Now for some reason another mob is pulled. And its 3 vs 5. The stun dude rushes to my highest lvl character and BAM one shot crit. Now its 2 vs 5. Other enemies miss except for the alien which mind controls another character and now its effectively 1 vs 5. As if this was not enough a red flare spawns behind my characters telling me reinforcements are coming.

Play on Rookie.

Commander is for experts only. Veteran is for XCOM1 players.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Heroes always die

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| + Humans: Kingdom Battle

Also, I think Sandersson was talking about an ADVENT Commander, not Commander difficulty.

Nete

It's a shame that

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| A Mario + Rabbids Story

works better without the "War of the Chosen" part. Can't think of any other decent title :(

Scarced

Neo Member
Are we expecting a host of new items in the expansion (barring the new class tier weapons/armor) or just a few from the chosen?

Any tips for the timed save the vip missions? I knocked the difficulty one step down but it doesnt make the game seem any less unfair.

Like for example: i had 12 turns to run to a house and save the vip. Now im making my way to the house. Im running so that I can enter overwatch mode after every turn so I wont get spotted with my pants off. Now I get inside the house and I get spotted. No problem I kill two of them and only the commander remains. I run to flank him and boom second enemy mob aggros me. How is this fair and how can I do anything to counter this? I kill the commander and my soldier gets killed immediately the next turn since the next mob gets a free flank shot on him. Now im desperately getting one of my characters to open the cell door and the same time fighting the second mob. One of my characters gets mind controlled but I still have 3 left. I open the cell door and think what is the fastest way to the lz. I decide to blow a whole in the prison room wall since the lz is right next to it. Guess what, there is a random mob right beside the wall. I try to save one of my characters and run past them but for some unknown godly reason, one of the third mob's grunt had overwatch on (like why? They didnt get a turn but they have auto overwatch on suddenly?.) Well obviously he died and after my turn guess what. Enemy gets the reinforcement beacon, because ofcourse they do. Needless to say I lost all my characters and now I have only like 2 high lvl characters left so its gg. Its not like I can win any missions with rookies.

I dont get pissed when I lose, its fine and its part of the fun. But losing because some random mob basically spawns behind you is just crazyness. Which makes the whole difficulty thing seem very weird and arbitrary.

I can think of a few tips:
So, if you have concealment, you need to capitalise on it. Dash into full cover, spot areas where enemies might be hiding (like around corners), take high ground, and just in general move quickly into a position where your soldiers can ambush a pod. Proceed to the objective quickly and only bother defensively overwatching if you're concerned you might be revealed--every overwatch is like six tiles of wasted movement, after all. Together, this will minimise the distance you need to travel to complete the objective and ultimately the mission (leaving turns to adapt to whatever misfortunes or setbacks lie ahead).

For reinforcements, the one benefit you have is that you know where they're coming in. (From the reinforcement flare they drop a turn before arriving.) Use this to get into cover or set up an overwatch ambush. And yeah, enemies can move or overwatch after dropping in IIRC, which is why it's important to prepare for them before they arrive.

Lastly, IIRC, once you actually get the VIP is when they start calling in reinforcements, so be ready to book it to the evac the moment you capture/free them. The only advantage you have is speed; and by this I don't mean blindly dashing or anything, but having a very clear, defensible route in mind to the evac zone. Being under fire is fine--what matters is clearing a path to evac.

One other suggestion is dropping the difficulty down again. (Either that, or savescumming the missions back to the beginning.) It will help you avoid squad wipes, which will give you more time to get used to XCOM 2's quirks while also solidifying your command chops. This is because missions are just half the battle--there's also the strategy layer; understanding it will give you an edge in missions, in the form of better-equipped soldiers. But it's really hard to get the strategy layer down when missions are death spiralling.

There will always be future campaigns for higher difficulties or things like Ironman mode.

I can think of a few tips:
So, if you have concealment, you need to capitalise on it. Dash into full cover, spot areas where enemies might be hiding (like around corners), take high ground, and just in general move quickly into a position where your soldiers can ambush a pod. Proceed to the objective quickly and only bother defensively overwatching if you're concerned you might be revealed--every overwatch is like six tiles of wasted movement, after all. Together, this will minimise the distance you need to travel to complete the objective and ultimately the mission (leaving turns to adapt to whatever misfortunes or setbacks lie ahead).

For reinforcements, the one benefit you have is that you know where they're coming in. (From the reinforcement flare they drop a turn before arriving.) Use this to get into cover or set up an overwatch ambush. And yeah, enemies can move or overwatch after dropping in IIRC, which is why it's important to prepare for them before they arrive.

Lastly, IIRC, once you actually get the VIP is when they start calling in reinforcements, so be ready to book it to the evac the moment you capture/free them. The only advantage you have is speed; and by this I don't mean blindly dashing or anything, but having a very clear, defensible route in mind to the evac zone. Being under fire is fine--what matters is clearing a path to evac.

One other suggestion is dropping the difficulty down again. (Either that, or savescumming the missions back to the beginning.) It will help you avoid squad wipes, which will give you more time to get used to XCOM 2's quirks while also solidifying your command chops. This is because missions are just half the battle--there's also the strategy layer; understanding it will give you an edge in missions, in the form of better-equipped soldiers. But it's really hard to get the strategy layer down when missions are death spiralling.

There will always be future campaigns for higher difficulties or things like Ironman mode.

Hehe I am actually playing on ironman mode. But hey, thanks for the tips, greatly appreciated. I will propably give my current save one last go and see if I can salvage the situation before starting over.

Stoze

Have I gone too far gaf?
r9FFQoX.jpg

D9UCT77.jpg

Stoze

Sharpshooter Tracer rubs me the wrong way, but I guess if you had to go for a vanilla class Gunslinger is as close as you could get.

Expansion's Skirmisher or LW2's Ranger fit even better, though. Lots of moves and extra shots.
Yeah I went Gunslinger specifically for the Pulse Pistols, I don't play LW2 and don't have the expansion.

Because I'm building them with some respect to their character design, I've encountered some new interesting challenges, like Mercy going full battle medic tree which I would never do. Same with Genji, I've never fully committed to a sword/ninja type build before.

I'm partial to Mass Effect squads, myself.

Love XCOM's modding community so much.
Has the game's performance and technical issues been improved on PS4? Thinking of getting this in the current sale

WotC isn't out yet on console, releases on Sep 12th. There are no previews yet either, AFAIK.

But if it's anything like the PC version, the improvement should be dramatic.

Edit: Oh you mean vanilla through patches! Sorry, misunderstood. (In honesty, I thought this was the WotC OT...)

Top Bottom