• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

- Rather bad optimization. Nothing to add really.
Try this modded BaseEngine.ini I came up with: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b98zbu11cus89b/BaseEngine.rar It tweaks the game's UE3 settings so that it streams textures better, better uses multithreaded shader stuff, and ups the minimum/maximum frame rates, along with some MIP stuff. The result is that the game runs smoother, but it doesn't solve all the problems (some of which are probably because the game relies on tons of particle effects).

Try this modded BaseEngine.ini I came up with: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b98zbu11cus89b/BaseEngine.rar It tweaks the game's UE3 settings so that it streams textures better, better uses multithreaded shader stuff, and ups the minimum/maximum frame rates, along with some MIP stuff. The result is that the game runs smoother, but it doesn't solve all the problems (some of which are probably because the game relies on tons of particle effects).

Did that already, gave me around 2-3 more FPS. At least the Avenger runs at 25 FPS+ now, while the Skyranger is still a slide-show., meanwhile I'm getting 40+ FPS in combat.
Seems like Firaxis didn't really bother optimizing the Avenger performance, rather mainly focusing on combat FPS.

Did that already, gave me around 2-3 more FPS. At least the Avenger runs at 25 FPS+ now, while the Skyranger is still a slide-show., meanwhile I'm getting 40+ FPS in combat.
Seems like Firaxis didn't really bother optimizing the Avenger performance, rather mainly focuing on combat FPS.
Not really surprised, the combat stuff is where FPS is really essential, while the Avenger stuff doesn't necessarily require a high refresh rate.

Jintor

Not really surprised, the combat stuff is where FPS is really essential, while the Avenger stuff doesn't necessarily require a high refresh rate.

I dunno. That shit should be smooth as butter since I spend a lot of time flipping between screens in the Avenger and it's really galling that it stutters and skips a little every time.

Things got even better: Just loaded a save I made when the camera and game got stuck on the Avenger right after a mission and before the after-action report...

The trooper I lost during operation Holy Thunder remained dead, the other 3 soldiers that participated in it were wounded and got promotions, got none of the loot I had collected... and then I went to the hologlobe and the game wants to do me THE EXACT SAME MISSION AGAIN xD! Operation Holy Thunder yet again. Seems like the game thinks that I aborded the mission before even starting it, despite me just finishing it before the game hanging itself up. Thank god I made a save during the mission... now the game only has to manage to load it, sigh.

Alright, my first ironman run is over. All it took was one wipe to set me on the path to defeat; I didn't focus on expanding my influence soon enough, which pigeonholed me in a downward spiral from there onwards.

Onward to my second ironman run, and, hopefully, a better future.

Lanrutcon

My second Ranger just learned Rupture from the Grenadier tree. So my shotgun ninja can now crit on demand.

This cross class thing is super random, but occasionally delivers gold.

RS4-

wtf is this shit with rescuing the civvies and STILL having to kill every alien. Even the faceless guys or whoever that you don't happen to trigger yet.

Uriah

Probably gonna have to start over on the normal difficulty. Screwed up on the strategic layer and it's really affecting the missions.

My second Ranger just learned Rupture from the Grenadier tree. So my shotgun ninja can now crit on demand.

This cross class thing is super random, but occasionally delivers gold.

Ughh I didn't get the future combat facility or whatever that allows you to get perks outside your class yet. Some or my men are already pretty high up in rank. It only happens when you rank up right? So essentially a solider that's fully leveled can no longer get additional perks right?

Corpekata

Banned
Is there any point to rescuing more than the 6 civvies in retaliation missions? Bradford makes some vague "we have a civilian contact" when you get the first 6 and again at 8 but I can't tell what that translates into. When completing you get like "increased supplies across the continent" but the amount seems kind of low

Well I think I am going to have to start the game again but this time on the lowest difficulty. I already got about 6 hours into a veteran campaign and restarted and am now about 5 hours into this veteran campaign and while I am doing slightly better, I haven't had a lick of fun. I enjoyed the hell out of the last game and it was my first and only turn based strategy game. I thought I could sling it on veteran but I guess not. It's just infuriatingly hard. Like, I actually have difficulty understand how people do well and have fun playing on veteran or higher. Granted this is due exclusively to my naivete regarding strategy games. But it still disappoints me that the game is this difficult, I wish it had been tuned so that it remained as accessible as the first game (at least on normal difficulty).

Oh well, third times the charm, now on easy mode, nearly 14 hours of time down the drain. Christ I hope I have at least some fun on easy.

Also the world map stuff has way too much going on. Constantly trying to do something and the game says, "Shit dude we need to do this thing, RIGHT NOW!" "Wait! We also need to do this right now too! Or the world explodes!!!!"

/anger venting. I want to love you like I loved the first game. Still hopeful!

Starting to get plasma weapons, better armor, and build up my base, but now I'm 2 bars away from filling the Avatar meter on commander. I'm boned. :)

I wish devs would stop adding launchers to their games

when I press play I want to play dat shit, if I want to look up news or whatever I'll check out the Hub News section

Coketruck

Got a weird bug that caused no civilians to spwan in retaliation missions, thus causing me to fail every one of them because there are no people for me to save.

Between this and the piss poor performance, I'm out until some patching is done.

Erheller

Finished it. Ironman on Veteran difficulty. Lost 4 troops, 2 in the first two month and 2 on the first Black site. I put of the final mission until December because I ignored Psi the entire game and wanted to completely max out a Psi trooper.

The difficulty curve seems to still be much higher at the beginning of the game. You don't have as many tools to deal with enemies, and it's difficult to manage encounters without a concealed Ranger.

I really liked the timed missions. There were many, many missions where I thought I was screwed because of the timer, but took a risk and came out with a flawless mission. There were also times when I thought I was screwed and took wounds or deaths. I didn't think any of my deaths or critical wounds were unfair in any way, though - I know I should have hunkered instead of praying for that 56% shot, or I should have aid protocoled my exposed ranger. Compare that to the untimed missions. Without the time pressure, I inched my team up square by square. I didn't have to make any hard decisions: I just right clicked, then spammed shift and y until my turn ended.

Grenadiers are easily my favorite class in the game. One well-placed grenade can easily change the course of a battle, and grenadiers get three. I stopped taking casualties once I was able to field two grenadiers. Proximity mines on Grenadiers seem to be a little overpowered, honestly. Proxy mines don't activate pods until they move on their turn. You can lob a proxy mine from out of LOS, overwatch your troops, and end your turn to get free shots as they activate and then get another free action afterwards. Special grenades are fun and useful, too, but they're more specialized and don't let you do the Beaglerush maneuver.

I'm not really sure what the Ranger's sword is useful for. There are some skill that help it a little, like Blademaster and Reaper, but swords do equal or less damage than shotguns, can miss, and require you to be next to your enemy. I can see the utility of getting Reaper, but the path to Colonel just seems... painful. Bladestorm is pretty useless, too, except for in the odd Retaliation mission with Faceless. I loved Concealment Rangers, though. Being able to spot enemies and control encounters was invaluable. Run and Gun with Rapid Fire is also amazing. I tried to take two Concealment Rangers with me as much as possible.

(I sometimes get the feeling that I'm hitting way more 50-80% shots than I should be hitting. Is it just me, or are the RNG bonuses for Normal back in XCOM 2?)

I know I screwed up my strategic game a lot, especially the Avenger layout. Always leave the middle slots open for workshops. But by the end of the third month I was snowballing really hard and getting all the researches done. I didn't have too many Proving Grounds projects (because I like grenades), but I was doing pretty well in most areas. Intel was a lot more important than I gave it credit for at first.

I really liked XCOM 2. I'm going to bump the difficulty up to Commander next time I play and see how different it is.

Ughh I didn't get the future combat facility or whatever that allows you to get perks outside your class yet. Some or my men are already pretty high up in rank. It only happens when you rank up right? So essentially a solider that's fully leveled can no longer get additional perks right?

Yup.

It's why it's always the second thing I build. The longer you have it up and running, the more opportunities for extra abilities you've got.

Snipers with Chainshot is potentially hilarious.

Eyeh4wk

One thing to watch out for if youre playing Ironman is that the saves wont load if you disable mods you were using. Decided to try out the free camera rotation mod, didnt like it, turned it off and now I cant reload my save without having it on. A tad annoying to be honest

lol, really? I'd be livid. Good to know.

Lanrutcon

Yeah, happens only on rank up but pretty rarely. Out of the last 10ish rank ups in my A team, I've gotten 3 extra perks. 2 of which are neat (Shredder on my Sniper and that perk that allows you to shoot then move on my main Ranger), and then Rupture on my other Ranger.

Tbh I wouldn't rush it: there's plenty of other critical stuff to invest in early in the game. Besides, you should be running multiple teams and not relying on one (unless you save scum, in which case I think you can probably get away with a single uber team).

The UI in the management layer is atrocious. I'm really enjoying this game overall, but the Avenger is the most frustrating strategy game interface I've used in a long, long time.

Why does it run so poorly? Why are only some rooms listed on the bottom quick-move bar? Why is the map screen? Really, just like, why? Not only that, why does every event, research item, or dude flushing the toilet somewhere halt everything in the map screen with a pop up? All of these things should be progress bars that can be viewed when they pop if you click them, not mandatory pauses. Even scanning a short area takes way too long because I have to click through every finished thing the game demands I look at immediately.

Erheller

Starting to get plasma weapons, better armor, and build up my base, but now I'm 2 bars away from filling the Avatar meter on commander. I'm boned. :)

Don't worry about the Avatar meter too much. When it fills up, you have 20 days (that's almost a whole month!) to reduce the meter. I like to have facility assaults in standby, because destroying one removes all of the progress it's contributed. Advancing the plot also decreases the meter. In my game, I let the meter go up to max probably 4 times or so.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If one was to restart, what would be a good / ideal build order and placement?

I don't give a fuck about spoilers

The UI in the management layer is atrocious. I'm really enjoying this game overall, but the Avenger is the most frustrating strategy game interface I've used in a long, long time.

Why does it run so poorly? Why are only some rooms listed on the bottom quick-move bar? Why is the map screen? Really, just like, why? Not only that, why does every event, research item, or dude flushing the toilet somewhere halt everything in the map screen with a pop up? All of these things should be progress bars that can be viewed when they pop if you click them, not mandatory pauses. Even scanning a short area takes way too long because I have to click through every finished thing the game demands I look at immediately.

Yeah, I assumed since this was PC only they would improve on the UI, but we even still have things like auto scrolling with no ability to scroll.

The animation for getting into the world map is especially annoying and takes too long.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

They didn't overhaul the UI at all and they took out the controller support. Sucks because the game worked better with the controller in the first.

Don't worry about the Avatar meter too much. When it fills up, you have 20 days (that's almost a whole month!) to reduce the meter. I like to have facility assaults in standby, because destroying one removes all of the progress it's contributed. Advancing the plot also decreases the meter. In my game, I let the meter go up to max probably 4 times or so.

That's good to hear, as I'd like to continue this playthrough. I am close to another blacksite and a story mission, but I was getting worried.

If one was to restart, what would be a good / ideal build order and placement?

I don't give a fuck about spoilers
Power facility in the middle of the first layer, then Guerilla Tactics School and Resistance Comms for the next two slots in whatever order you want. Remember to not assign an engineer to the power facility until after you get at least one other engineer.

Then Proving Grounds & the one that can give soldiers extra abilities on the second layer.

Random17

I'm about 22 hours in and I encounted my first lids.

protip: They can come out of burrowing, move and attack, all in one turn (in your turn)!

It's basically like overwatch.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Power facility in the middle of the first layer, then Guerilla Tactics School and Resistance Comms for the next two slots in whatever order you want. Remember to not assign an engineer to the power facility until after you get at least one other engineer.

Then Proving Grounds & the one that can give soldiers extra abilities on the second layer.

Whats about the thing that lets you have gremlin engineers adjacent to it?

Really Tutorial? Tried it on Classic and got wiped 3 times on that damn energy retrieval mission, but guess I'm learning something new every time.

Some tips built on the corpses of my 4 man squad.
1. The game doesn't automatically prevent you from walking through fire.
2. Timed missions end at "1 turn left" not "0 turns left".
3. Trucks have a deceptively large explosion radius.

Erudite

Yeah the strategy layer definitely leaves something to be desired if you're trying to get through it quickly.

The one that bothers me the most is going in and out of the world map. That animation feels so long and unnecessary.

I wonder if they've opened up the game enough so modders can fix that aspect of it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Whats about the thing that lets you have gremlin engineers adjacent to it?

Workshop should go in the 2nd or 3rd row.

The support gremlins are really good, but can only affect areas directly connected to it, so it's 'wasted' on the 1st or last levels.

That's good to hear, as I'd like to continue this playthrough. I am close to another blacksite and a story mission, but I was getting worried.

Yeah, the meter is a 'bit' of a misnomer/panic-inducing 'wtf do I do' moment.

It's still bad news if you have no facilities available to push the meter back down, or any of the steeper intel requirements for later, but it's not as punishing as one would think just by hearing Central talk about it when it goes up.

Incidentally, does cutting beginner VO stop Bradford from whining about civilians in every single retaliation mission?

If I have to hear 'Civilians are getting slaughtered out there' one more time.....lol

Incidentally, does cutting beginner VO stop Bradford from whining about civilians in every single retaliation mission?

If I have to hear 'Civilians are getting slaughtered out there' one more time.....lol
Christ, I wish there were arrows pointing to where the bulk of the shanties are, because I spend most of the first turn just trying to find the place (aside from the Retaliation Mission tutorial).

Jintor

yeah man i was just beginning to like bradford again but nope SHUT UP BRADFORD THEY'RE LITERALLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP

I'm enjoying it a lot, but I have plenty of little complaints about it, including the flicking back and forth between the base, Geoscape, pop-up windows, back to the base for research/facilities, Geoscape...it's maddening and I feel like I have the 2 pots of coffee shakes.

Heh, it turns out that if you destroy the floor where your VIP pickup is the game will move it to a different spot on the map. It was worth it to send two vipers and a muton plummeting to the bottom floor.

yeah man i was just beginning to like bradford again but nope SHUT UP BRADFORD THEY'RE LITERALLY ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP
Seriously. And no, turning off beginner v/o doesn't stop his whining.

I hate Retaliation missions. I've never failed one, but even when I double-time it and take crazy risks, the most civilians I've ever saved is 8. There's only 13 on the map, and at least one dies every turn (or so it seems).

Steel

Banned
Wow... Just had 7 killed and 3 injured in one mission. And it was going so well till the end too.

Now I'm being told I don't have enough uninjured personnel to deploy and I'm outta supplies.

0_0

Remmy2112

Seriously. And no, turning off beginner v/o doesn't stop his whining.

I hate Retaliation missions. I've never failed one, but even when I double-time it and take crazy risks, the most civilians I've ever saved is 8. There's only 13 on the map, and at least one dies every turn (or so it seems).

One civilian seems to die per turn if you have unexposed pods. Any exposed pods seem to focus on your people rather than kill civilians. This can be a double-edged sword.

that should be ran through the workshop's subscriptions list

No, it shouldn't. Having to change your subscriptions to enable/disable a mod would be a terrible way to implement them. Having a launcher where you check what you want enabled for the moment is a convenient way to handle it that many many PC games use.

No, it shouldn't. Having to change your subscriptions to enable/disable a mod would be a terrible way to implement them. Having a launcher where you check what you want enabled for the moment is a convenient way to handle it that many many PC games use.

yes it should breh

and it's less convenient for us vanilla users who have to go through a launcher to play

Top Bottom