• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Carroway

so whatever happened to those awesome Mech's you had in EW? Isn't the expansion cannon? Would be cool to have them in XCom 2 :/

The M.E.Cs are being used by Advent. I think that Jake stated, that since XCOM lost. EW never happened in Xcom 2's timeline. That being said, Advent uses M.E.Cs (not sure if that is a spoiler or not) although they are fully mechanized.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a mod to remove that annoying blowhard from screaming at you every time a civilian gets killed in a settlement attack mission?

Listen, Firaxis. You can't design every mission on a timer then scream at the player like they are an incompetent idiot as the timer decreases every turn when there is physically nothing the player can do to stop it.

so whatever happened to those awesome Mech's you had in EW? Isn't the expansion cannon? Would be cool to have them in XCom 2 :/
The assets are in the SDK, so they could be modded in.

Theory:
The EW stuff might've been part of the whole "the Commander was running ADVENT's strategy the whole time" thing.

courtesy of reddit

Hold ctrl and right click the places you want to go - this way you can avoid sight/acid/fire etc. and get to where you want to be.

Tip : doesn't always work - sometimes aliens will activate even if you check every tile and they show you no LOS

also the way you guys are talking up in here has me scared that I'm gonna have to restart just because I followed the tutorial...

does anyone know of any really good primers I can use to just... skip the tutorial and start a new game without it? I don't even wanna continue where I left off ATM for fear of digging myself a deeper hole.

Nete

There are already 11 brave souls in GAF-COM, willing to fight
and die
for Earth's freedom and waffles for everyone.

KYRuAuU.png

Then check the second and third posts of the thread for all the information you need.

AsfaeksBR

I'm in Africa and I was Gaining Intel in an area (takes 7 days). After it finished, I went there on a mission. After the mission ended, it opened another location to Gain Intel on that'll take 7 more days, but the original area I was just at still has the "Gain Intel" button.

What should I do? Go to the new area, or gain intel on the previous one?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I hope someone mods in the Archangel armor from EU. Snipers don't get any endgame armor that compliments their abilities like the rest of the classes

Afrocious

Ok so I need serious help.

These timed missions? I suck at them. I'm playing Ironman Veteran (I think that's the 2nd difficulty).

XCOM 2's timed missions requiring you to do something within a certain amount of turns while killing everything? I legit can't do it with the knowledge I have now.

What are you folks doing? I feel like I'm not thinking this through or what. I do fine for a bit, but always I end up having to restart my campaign because one of these go wrong.

Crackbone

These timed missions? I suck at them. I'm playing Ironman Veteran (I think that's the 2nd difficulty).

XCOM 2's timed missions requiring you to do something within a certain amount of turns while killing everything? I legit can't do it with the knowledge I have now.

What are you folks doing? I feel like I'm not thinking this through or what. I do fine for a bit, but always I end up having to restart my campaign because one of these go wrong.

Typically you want to complete the first part of the mission (hack, destroy a target, etc) then worry about clearing the board. The first part is timed. Once that is completed you have unlimited turns to mop up.

patapuf

Usually you have an objective, you don't need to kill everything. You can always clean up after. It's also good to know that you can evacuate after dashing.

That said, as you pointed out, there's a lot of learning to do. I wouldn't immediately restart a campaign that goes south (or not immediately play ironman) but play it out and learn the mechanics, especially on the strategic map, where you won't learn anything by replaying the first month over and over.

From what i've read, it's pretty common to loos rookies to the meat grinder at the start.

Also, the game likes to throw surprises at you. And surprises usually mean your guys die. In ironman it's good to at least have an idea what's coming.

just now getting started

I like that I can build my roster out of my friend's names in a randomizing pool before the game starts vs naming them as they come in.

couple quick questions:

1. what is a VIP/dark VIP?
2. Why am I able to select their class? Doesn't everyone come in as a rookie and they get assigned once they get their first promotion? or did that system change?

just now getting started

I like that I can build my roster out of my friend's names in a randomizing pool before the game starts vs naming them as they come in.

couple quick questions:

1. what is a VIP/dark VIP?
2. Why am I able to select their class? Doesn't everyone come in as a rookie and they get assigned once they get their first promotion? or did that system change?

VIP is someone you need to rescue as an objective, Dark VIP is somebody you need to kill or abduct.

I *think* it raises the *chances* of your guy ending up as that class, because the one time I did it it definitely worked out that way. Or it could be for cosmetic reasons. W/e.

Normally doing the main objective inside the available turns will stop the clock but will still require you to kill the remaining enemies (sometimes) afterwards.

Sciz

It's possible to earn and purchase troops that are already leveled up in certain cases.

OK, after saying the start of the game on commander isn't as RNG/cheap as XCOM EW, the later enemies are kinda stupid IMO. It feels like I'm playing JRPG or watching anime now, with everyone having a power level over 9000. Enemy melee attacks...way overdone.

Just saw a
Big Daddy
for the first time. This has been a good game, but I don't see it replacing EW for me.

Corpekata

Banned
You get to pick class because the created pool of character can appear as veteran rewards from missions, resistance HQ, etc. It doesn't affect them if they end up as rookies.

Afrocious

Typically you want to complete the first part of the mission (hack, destroy a target, etc) then worry about clearing the board. The first part is timed. Once that is completed you have unlimited turns to mop up.

This makes sense. This is how I did it in XCOM 1. The problem I run into based on this is that it feels XCOM 2's surprises in the shadows are fucking brutal.

I'm debating if I should make assault dudes spec into shadows instead of swords.

Usually you have an objective, you don't need to kill everything. You can always clean up after. It's also good to know that you can evacuate after dashing.

That said, as you pointed out, there's a lot of learning to do. I wouldn't immediately restart a campaign that goes south (or not immediately play ironman) but play it out and learn the mechanics, especially on the strategic map, where you won't learn anything by replaying the first month over and over.

From what i've read, it's pretty common to loos rookies to the meat grinder at the start.

Also, the game likes to throw surprises at you. And surprises usually mean your guys die. In ironman it's good to at least have an idea what's coming.

Damn. IDK what difficulty I should set it to then. I did beat Ironman Normal in XCOM 1. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and do the same here in XCOM 2. I thought the 2nd difficulty in XCOM 2 was Normal though lol.

Normally doing the main objective inside the available turns will stop the clock but will still require you to kill the remaining enemies (sometimes) afterwards.

True.

patapuf

This makes sense. This is how I did it in XCOM 1. The problem I run into based on this is that it feels XCOM 2's surprises in the shadows are fucking brutal.

I'm debating if I should make assault dudes spec into shadows instead of swords.

Damn. IDK what difficulty I should set it to then. I did beat Ironman Normal in XCOM 1. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and do the same here in XCOM 2. I thought the 2nd difficulty in XCOM 2 was Normal though lol.

True.

"veteran" is normal, but xcom2 is more difficult than the first.

Falk

that puzzling face
Wow 404k owners according to steamspy. I know we have to wait 3 days but this will go over a million sales in a few days.

I'm wondering if the delay did them a wonder here. Not only did it shift out of the danger zone as far as releases go, hype definitely seems to have built up over the last few months.

"veteran" is normal, but xcom2 is more difficult than the first.

I'm not sure if it's objectively more difficult, but it does require you to understand its game systems a LOT more. Properly using grenades for one - it's possible to faceroll through EU just shooting everything and having Sectoids walk out into the open to get stunned/captured. Helps that Dr Vahlen isn't constantly whining about you blowing corpses/weapon fragments up.

Geoscape and unit diversity also definitely has a lot of gotyes, and base construction doesn't really have a set optimal way like EU's 'spam engineers*, make sure to start construction of satellites by ___ of the month and comm station by ___ of the month" (10th and 15th if I recall). Between Proving Grounds, GTS and Advanced Warfare there's too many good things and not enough Supplies/power to build them all.

If anything I'd say the game has a lot more depth, but my gut instinct is that once people start getting used to the game systems, ironman runs are going to have a similar success/fail rate, as in the hard maths is in a similar range.

*Granted, we're really early in the life cycle and best-practices tend to crop up when people have tried things out a lot more.

RS4-

That last mission is extremely dumb. Just straight up terrible design.

Finished on whatever the third difficulty is and I don't know how many hours. Just wanted to get this shit over with before SFV comes out.

Overall, the game was eh.

courtesy of reddit

also the way you guys are talking up in here has me scared that I'm gonna have to restart just because I followed the tutorial...

does anyone know of any really good primers I can use to just... skip the tutorial and start a new game without it? I don't even wanna continue where I left off ATM for fear of digging myself a deeper hole.

i'm sorry for repeating myself but i'm super anxious here in regards to continuing this game even though I really, really want to play it more. and I can't find any really all-encompassing tips or strategy videos, which isn't surprising, the game's only been out a couple of days, but shit, man, I don't got the time to continue then restart right now.

I found a decent 'top 10 tips' video and I think I'll just work from there but if at some point any of you come across something more comprehensive I'd really appreciate a link here or through PM.

Xcom 2 is doing weird things with my computer. Not an in-game issue, but after I leave th game, I'm experiencing a severe deterioration of my internet connection, with much lower bandwidth and a 150-400ms ping. Other steam games and Diablo 3 fail launching because there's no answer from the servers.

I have to reboot the computer for things to go back to normal.

I checked the processes to see if the game didn't have some torrent feature, but there's nothing. And it happen only with Xcom 2.

I'm wondering if the delay did them a wonder here. Not only did it shift out of the danger zone as far as releases go, hype definitely seems to have built up over the last few months.

Yup I think so plus all that media attention regarding modding making this a must buy for any PC gamer. I'm personally having a blast so far with the game, haven't had many performance issues as many people seem to have and I'm sure they can be fixed with updates/drivers.

i'm sorry for repeating myself but i'm super anxious here in regards to continuing this game even though I really, really want to play it more. and I can't find any really all-encompassing tips or strategy videos, which isn't surprising, the game's only been out a couple of days, but shit, man, I don't got the time to continue then restart right now.

I found a decent 'top 10 tips' video and I think I'll just work from there but if at some point any of you come across something more comprehensive I'd really appreciate a link here or through PM.

Watch some Beaglerush vids maybe? At least you will get an idea how an experienced player deals with those same situations.

Sciz

I'm not sure if it's objectively more difficult, but it does require you to understand its game systems a LOT more.

Whether or not someone got acclimated to Long War is going to be the deciding factor in what they think of 2's difficulty, I suspect.

Danj

There are already 11 brave souls in GAF-COM, willing to fight
and die
for Earth's freedom and waffles for everyone.

KYRuAuU.png

Then check the second and third posts of the thread for all the information you need.

Will there be a story thread involving our characters like there was last time for XCOM:EU? Because that was awesome.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the consensus on the steam controller in general, and how it pertains to this game? Since it's being bundled at a discount, and it's the only controller that's officially supported.

justjim89

How do I increase my squad size? It just says you can through the guerrilla training school, but nothing in that room says how.

Also, the snakes are fucking obnoxious and broken. Hard to hit, can travel halfway across the map, can pull your soldiers halfway across the map, and the binding move sucks ass.

This game is so good, but it is way harder than EU. I've had to savescum my way through like 3 missions so far.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok I'm amending my first post to request a mod that shuts up that annoying asshole who CONSTANTLY screams at you about timers.

Every timer mission he yells at you at least four times. And to add to how fucking annoying it is, the game makes you sit there and do nothing while he finishes his asshole sound bite that I've already heard 30 times before.

I'm stressed enough by these timers without some intolerable obnoxious shit head taking control away to scream at me about something I have zero control over.

Nete

Will there be a story thread involving our characters like there was last time for XCOM:EU? Because that was awesome.

Dunno. If somebody wants to do it, go ahead. Neither my imagination nor my english are good enough for it :p

How do I increase my squad size? It just says you can through the guerrilla training school, but nothing in that room says how.

Also, the snakes are fucking obnoxious and broken. Hard to hit, can travel halfway across the map, can pull your soldiers halfway across the map, and the binding move sucks ass.

This game is so good, but it is way harder than EU. I've had to savescum my way through like 3 missions so far.

Go to the GTS and hit the button at the bottom. You'll be able to buy stuff like squad size from there.

Afrocious

Yup I think so plus all that media attention regarding modding making this a must buy for any PC gamer. I'm personally having a blast so far with the game, haven't had many performance issues as many people seem to have and I'm sure they can be fixed with updates/drivers.

Watch some Beaglerush vids maybe? At least you will get an idea how an experienced player deals with those same situations.

Dude. thanks for linking to him. Watching now. Great perspective on plays.

Tacitus_

The bar fills left to right on the hack so I assume the mark for the hack attempt just is the inverse, telling you how far the bar needs to go to succeed. Which is why like a 2% success is all the way at the end and 100% is right at the left.

Or am I missing something else?

I don't understand? Is that "unlock change 0%"? I think it's 0% chance to "unlock" (read: trigger) feedback which would lead to reinforcements being called? So in other words you have 0% chance for reinforcements?

Hacking mission objectives always have 100% on the leftmost box. Which is why I'm puzzled.

Falk

that puzzling face
Here's Tip #1

DISORIENT EVERYTHING

Sectoid mind controlling your dude? DISORIENT HIM

Viper chokehold? DISORIENT HER

Stun Lancers running across the map faster than Sonic the Hedgehog to spike you? DISORIENT THEM (their name literally tells you to stun lancers)

Seriously, flashbangs are OP, and turns Sectoids into gibbering wastes of turns since early-game they really, REALLY like to mind control, or raise a zombie if there's an Advent corpse around. Next turn you DISORIENT it and it drops.

From what I understand, disorients
- invoke aim penalty
- invoke severe movement penalty
- disable all abilities except move and attack, and breaks channeling.

Hacking mission objectives always have 100% on the leftmost box. Which is why I'm puzzled.

Hah, got thrown off, but yeah, it says security tower, has a security tower in the background, but those aren't typical security tower bonuses.

red731

Just incorporated push ups into my game.

10 push ups when starting game, 20 push ups when soldier dies.
Pectoids hate this!

The sad things about some of the bugs -- like not being able to see the right level in a building, or not breaking glass for a shot, or the environmental "result" of grenades being shown before the grenade is thrown -- is that many of them were visible in review builds months ago, and Firaxis were like, "Yeah, still some bugs, we're working on them for release."

:(

Here's Tip #1

DISORIENT EVERYTHING.
Advanced disorientation strategy: Don't disorient a lone sectoid who isn't doing any psionic bullshit yet. If you do, he'll just shoot at you instead. Most of the time, if you leave him, he'll waste his turn doing psionics, and then you can kill him safely on yours.*

Situational, though. Otherwise, yeah, disorient everything.

*I mean obviously there are fringe cases where he'll panic someone and they'll jump out of cover, reveal a new pod, and then turn around and shoot your newly-minted sergeant for luck. But those are fringe cases.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what is the consensus on the steam controller in general, and how it pertains to this game? Since it's being bundled at a discount, and it's the only controller that's officially supported.

It's some of the best steam controller support for a game, as its native. I use it exclusively. That said, you could get the same (if not more) done with the lat XCOM's native gamepad support, so it is a little disappointing in that regard.

What's here works well.

What happens if you stay for a turn in the PSI Field that
the codex unit
throws at you? The one that disables your weapons.
Do you take damage?

Falk

that puzzling face
Advanced disorientation strategy: Don't disorient a lone sectoid who isn't doing any psionic bullshit yet. If you do, he'll just shoot at you instead. Most of the time, if you leave him, he'll waste his turn doing psionics, and then you can kill him safely on yours.*

That's what I said!

And remember that your flashbangs don't affect your troops. It really is a GOAT grenade type.

Of course, now that you can blow out floors and stuff there's some extra utility to even normal grenades.

Top Bottom