• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Ok, GAF.
Questions about your very first playthrough.

1. Difficulty? Ironman or no?
2. How do you plan to customize soldiers? Silly? Serious? Real People? Not customize?
3. Will you create some characters on the character pool before playing or let everyone be born on the battlefield?
4. Long War Studio mods? Yay or nay?
5. Do you have an epitaph ready for your very first casualty?
1. Commander Ironman. Then, when I inevitably fail, Commander Ironman. Then, when I fail again, Veteran Ironman.
2. I'm kinda weird about this, but the character pool doesn't appeal to me at all. I like my characters to be new each playthrough and largely generated by the game. I just leave them default until they hit Sergeant (i.e., until they've earned it), then I tweak their look and appearance in detail. But as far as I'm concerned, they're the heroes of that particular story, and once it's told, I want all-new characters on my next playthrough.
3. As above: born on the battlefield.
4. Yay. I'll have them all on from the start.
5. I don't plan to have casualties, you monster.

Makikou

I'm tempted to run first playthru with the LW Team's SMG & Leader/Officer rank mods.

Also of course i'm playing Ironman. Probably Commander because Normal in XCOM EU was a bit of a pushover for me.. but then again on Classic i got my ass kicked hard.

Character pool is weird. I'm a very non-imaginative person so i cant come up with anything epic like Beaglerush does. I think i'm just going to let the game generate them.

I do not want to highjack this thread but the performance thread isn't up yet and I think people would like to know more about performance because of TBs warnings (and at least this is a PC exclusive game so it's not completely out of place).

There are 5 presets Minimum, Low, Medium, High, Maximum.

The game seems to run fine on a gtx 970 (~59fps) and 390 (~65fps) on the High preset. The maximum preset needs around 4.2 gb of VRAM because of 8xMSAA and runs like shit on most GPUs (no big surprise here). A gtx 980 seems to be able to handle the maximum preset with turned down MSAA to 2x.

All infos are from the latest (?) steam review build.
More infos and some graphs here...

I did "will it run" on the web...etc.

It says I check the box for all of the "recommended" thresholds except for onboard video card memory...ram? Memory? Gigaflopz?

Anyway...any of you know if that will be a deal breaker for the game to run at all or will it simply be slow and less pretty?

I did "will it run" on the web...etc.

It says I check the box for all of the "recommended" thresholds except for onboard video card memory...ram? Memory? Gigaflopz?

Anyway...any of you know if that will be a deal breaker for the game to run at all or will it simply be slow and less pretty?

Which video card do you have?

I'm assuming you have lower VRAM than what is recommended.

Kudo

Couldn't resist the urge to wait for sales after all, grabbed it from GMG and now pre-loading!
Hyped as hell, hopefully it runs well on GTX 780@1440p.

mjc

So I never really beat XCOM EU/EW, am I missing anything story-wise? Or are the kind of retconning what happened with the story of this game?

So I never really beat XCOM EU/EW, am I missing anything story-wise? Or are the kind of retconning what happened with the story of this game?

I wouldn't worry about the story of the first one. There actually is a novel taking place between the two games, although I didn't bother with it.

The "canon" story is that XCOM lost before it even got up and running fully in EU/EW. I don't think they even research laser weapons before the earth got overrun. Everything else you need to know will be explained at the start of 2, I think.

(The prescribed story of these games is very much secondary to emergent narrative, of course.)

patapuf

These are not story heavy games.

The first game is about aliens attacking the earth. The Canon they chose for Xcom 2 is that you loose and they enslave humanity.

that's really all there is to it in EU. All the narrative is you expanding your knowledge on the Aliens and how to kill them. This one is supposed to have slightly more interesting storyline though.

pantsmith

Not generally one to complain about OT titles, but this one is basically the title equivalent of missing a 95% shot.

There are so many good ones you could have gone with, my favorite being "95% chance of coming to consoles"

Huh. Did a "will it run" and I'm apparently good for medium settings :D

GT750M keeps on ticking.

Not generally one to complain about OT titles, but this one is basically the title equivalent of missing a 95% shot.

There are so many good ones you could have gone with, my favorite being "95% chance of coming to consoles"

Platform Warzzz titles are just a bad idea.

Corpekata

Banned
Funstock Digital keys appear to be up. They didn't send me an email yet, decided to just check my orders and they were finally up.

zonezeus

Not generally one to complain about OT titles, but this one is basically the title version of missing a 95% shot. There are so many good ones, my favorite being "95% chance of coming to consoles"

Agreed, and if we don't want to go with that the "Make Earth great again" is also much better.

Funstock Digital keys appear to be up. They didn't send me an email yet, decided to just check my orders and they were finally up.
Yeah, the key e-mails for all the distributors weren't super fast. I actually got my GMG keys hours before the e-mail came because I logged into my account and copied them down.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

I understand why you wouldn't want to invite platform warriors into the thread but yeah the current one is pretty rough.

Zone 2 here, I had to be doing the night-shift today, of course! It's going to take forever.

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

I understand why you wouldn't want to invite platform warriors into the thread but yeah the current one is pretty rough.

I'm one that wishes it was on consoles just so I didn't have to worry about system specs and I thought the "95% Chance to Hit Consoles" was pretty fucking great.

I think I've heard it on GT Live with Xcom devs like 2 or 3? weeks ago that there are not gonna be any Second Wave options in the game,is this confirmed or I misheard it?

Guess you can mod those in later though

9cfc8cf5cbc39db14acee1fe33730d07.png

Goddamn I have 1000x the recommended RAM :O

Shaldome

Read the novel yesterday in preparation of the game. Not that it would be necessary to understand what's going on.
Planing on doing a normal play through first and will start a new play through with colleagues after that. May bump up the difficulty up for that one ("You are going to trigger the over watch. Never liked you anyway!")

Aaron D.

Don't go near the American Truck Simulator OT title.

Good grief is it disappointingly juvenile.

Tworak

You know what, your are right. I looked up on steamspy and it had over 3 million.

I don't know how big it was at launch though. Seems like it did good over time.
didn't mean to shit on you or anything. just seemed like you had more information than I did. :p

but yeah, xcom1 sold pretty good.

Jarekx

I didn't know this was so soon. This month is already hurting my wallet (and my free time).

Well, can't skip out on XCOM.

Top Bottom