• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So hyped for this game that I'm tempted to pre-order. But I won't.

wait, you wont buy it or you wont pre-order it out of some moral stand against pre-orders? because you can save quite a bit by pre-ordering

Fishook

I can understand the complaints of time limited/turn limited, I usually hate this mechanic but if I am playing turn based games, I don't mind it as much because as it encourages me to change my generally defense play style, But as long as it flexible enough not to be frustrating, but people want to win every battle with little or no casualties, where true X-Com is not like that.

The beauty with the Original X-Com that you can customise the difficulty to you liking, I usually play games on Easy/Normal but found the first a tad easy on Normal, but as I am not a fan of time limits I will stick to normal. I am really looking forward to this as there not alot on the horizon which takes my fancy.

patapuf

I can understand the complaints of time limited/turn limited, I usually hate this mechanic but if I am playing turn based games, I don't mind it as much because as it encourages me to change my generally defense play style, But as long as it flexible enough not to be frustrating, but people want to win every battle with little or no casualties, where true X-Com is not like that.

The beauty with the Original X-Com that you can customise the difficulty to you liking, I usually play games on Easy/Normal but found the first a tad easy on Normal, but as I am not a fan of time limits I will stick to normal. I am really looking forward to this as there not alot on the horizon which takes my fancy.

I think this is the goal of the time limits.

X-com is all about managing risks and the "optimal" playstyle in EU was super defensive since it was the least risky. There was no punishment for taking your time. and - more importantly - there was no reward for taking risks.

From what i have seen playing defensively is still perfectly possible - it just won't be what guarantees you the most rescources.

mikemandey

Already pre-ordered.. Will have to split my time between this, ROTTR, Diablo 3, Dragon's Dogma, and Fallout 4. Damn!

A couple of minutes in and the game sounds buggy as hell.

"The game has some issues with optimization"

welp. shit.

"You wouldn't really expect a strategy game like this to be demanding in terms of the performance, and yet it is. And that I imagine is because I imagine they didn't prioritize optimizing it before releasing it".

Doesn't sound like Firaxis to me, back to waiting for trying it on Steam first before buying.

Pheace

A couple of minutes in and the game sounds buggy as hell.

Some quotes,

"It's excellent, astonishingly excellent frankly. A brilliant improvement on the original. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. "

"I love XCOM 2 to death, it's my favorite GOTY so far [...] this game is excellent. Outstanding. Fantastic. Needs to be patched but I had a load of fun with it and I imagine you will as well"

Kind of skipped to the end as I've been avoiding any base scenes and he started off with it xD

Some quotes,

"It's excellent, astonishingly excellent frankly. A brilliant improvement on the original. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. "

"I love XCOM 2 to death, it's my favorite GOTY so far [...] this game is excellent. Outstanding. Fantastic. Needs to be patched but I had a load of fun with it and I imagine you will as well"
Nobody's doubting the game is great. It's just frustrating because Firaxis is a PC-focused developer making a PC exclusive game and yet there are optimization issues even though their games have always been pretty well optimized. There's no reason for a turn based strategy game being as demanding as this is. Also for ironman people gameplay bugs and glitches can ruin an entire run. Even more frustrating since the game was delayed already.
Yeah, now I feel bad for minimum spec people.

Hi. Whatever, I'm sure it'll be sorted out eventually, just hope they release the Resistance Warrior Pack down the line, gotta have my customization.

Se_7_eN

Just pre-ordered, Enemy Unknown was great... Now I have to finish The Witness before Friday, I am screwed.

Damn it! Firewatch is next week also...

Nete

And 60 hours for a first playthrough in the second easiest difficulty sounds pretty much alright.

He also feels a bit disappointed with Firaxis not going the extra mile in equipment tiers and so, but is still a minor complaint and one that mods will take care of for sure.

There's a pretty reasonable argument that Long War had one too many armor and weapon tiers and not enough usable side-grade armors. I think that XCOM 2 probably wants at least one or two more "novel" armors but three tiers of base seems fine. Weapons are another issue and I expect mods to come out with more variety of weapons that also have perks attached to them (similar to Art of War for Long War, if you've ever seen that mod in action).

I read that the game ran out of the box with 8x MSAA enabled if you jam it on highest, which might explain some of the perf issues. That's one area where I'm really not worried about it too much-this game is intended to have a multi-year lifespan and a year from now we'll just blitz over the rough edges w/ better hardware.

Sblargh

Banned
Well, the three tiers were intentional design choices; if it stiffled variety, I don't know (and he played the game, so he would know better than me); but there is this clear design choice of making research be worth it by making the gear it gives straight up better.

But it seems to me a very clear design goal. Weapon type (ballistic, magnetic, plasma) is the three tiers of power; and then there are special ammo and customization to make each weapon more specialized. Even the way they unlock seems to be based on this idea that the weapon type is the standard (everyone gets magnectic rifles as soon as it researches), but mods are personalized. You also research each type on a different room; stuff from the engineering is universal and stuff from the proving grounds is unique.

I am not saying he is wrong in feeling lack of variety; but it's not due to lack of content, for example; seems like a top-down design choice to have three tiers and then particular customization that is more of the "lateral" nature.

SRG01

Anyone know if it's built upon/continues from EW as a code base, like how Civ:BE was built from Civ5? I'm not surprised that it has optimization issues considering how EW ran...

Sblargh

Banned
Anyone know if it's built upon/continues from EW as a code base, like how Civ:BE was built from Civ5? I'm not surprised that it has optimization issues considering how EW ran...

EU was Unreal 3; this still is Unreal 3, but they have said something about heavily modifing the engine this time around.
So, to answer your question.... kinda?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
GMG is 25% off so thats your best bet

Decado

I think this is the goal of the time limits.

X-com is all about managing risks and the "optimal" playstyle in EU was super defensive since it was the least risky. There was no punishment for taking your time. and - more importantly - there was no reward for taking risks.
IMO, they could handle this issue much better than just by slapping time limits onto more missions.

"The game has some issues with optimization"

welp. shit.

"You wouldn't really expect a strategy game like this to be demanding in terms of the performance, and yet it is. And that I imagine is because I imagine they didn't prioritize optimizing it before releasing it".

Doesn't sound like Firaxis to me, back to waiting for trying it on Steam first before buying.

Welp.

My current rig is out.

on the last thread getting locked, I still think it's silly that OTs don't go up a week in advance anymore. Are we supposed to talk about VPNs here or create a new thread orrrr

Rhaknar

on the last thread getting locked, I still think it's silly that OTs don't go up a week in advance anymore. Are we supposed to talk about VPNs here or create a new thread orrrr

its extra weird because that thread wasnt bumped, it had been active for weeks?

Decado

How would you do it, then?
Actual tactical ramifications? Depending on map/mission, reinforcements for one. Or have the AI react in such a way that excessive turtling can be dangerous. Reward offensive maneuvers. In ew it could be suicide to move forward or flank as pods could be "activated". Quite frankly, if they're that close they should already be in the fight.

Fighting defensively should have risks associated with it as well as benefits. Far better than just having the dev
Say, "no you can't do that 'cause design!"

early civ5 was rough on people's computers too for the game it was

IMO, they could handle this issue much better than just by slapping time limits onto more missions.

that would require a lot more game design & balancing skills than firaxis is seemingly willing to commit
it's easier for them to just make a sandbox-y game that different people can play in different ways than to make a finely tuned strategy/tactics game where players are forced to make correct decisions if they want to succeed

Rhaknar

watching tthe total biscuit WTF is... video has me worried about difficulty.

I was planning on playing on veteran (normal) but he claims its too easy. Now, I dont particulary like super hard games, I get frustrated, but I worry about power creep, and power creep in xcom 2 seems much bigger than 1, because those late game abilities you get seem super OP.

maybe its best to go the one after veteran, and probably save scum a lot >_>

EU/EW mp is more active than ever on PC. Shame the aliens seem to be much worse than humans though, also that they never added in EW alien units unless I'm missing something.

I do think a week in advance was too much, a few days in advance might be good tradeoff though. But the last thread being closed was weird since the rationale stated was just strange given that the thread had been active for weeks and weeks.

I do think a week in advance was too much, a few days in advance might be good tradeoff though. But the last thread being closed was weird since the rationale stated was just strange given that the thread had been active for weeks and weeks.

yeah I don't understand it oh well

F6425CAC455695C01B0F86AF5BF3939949630C42

16CD9E27AAC652D3CF553F68C9ED9B2B48E22668

592D43584910DEA41E5D063D60C3A0F655190796

Stay classy XCOM community. and then he shitposted on my profile, went to his and he had a liveleak shooting as his featured screenshot and was part of the Broteam group. he must have been really sad his troops got turned in to chryssalids :(

I was planning on playing on veteran (normal) but he claims its too easy. Now, I dont particulary like super hard games, I get frustrated, but I worry about power creep, and power creep in xcom 2 seems much bigger than 1, because those late game abilities you get seem super OP.

I plan on playing bronzeman style on commander difficulty. If things really go to hell, I'll decide if it's worth redoing the entire mission, rather than doing some quicksave/load every turn or something. I mean a person can still play ironman without it enabled, and it is useful in case you run into bugs, glitches, or a corrupt save.

GECK

Tbh, Legendary is looking pretty easy if you abuse Grenadiers and the mimic beacon. So definitely some balance issues that Firaxis needs to sort out. Failing that, just use a difficulty mod which I'm sure will be quite plentiful shortly after release.

Man, the mod support for this is by far the most exciting thing. With the addition of the concealment mechanic, I can see a really cool mod to turn the game into a stealth tactics game a la Invisible Inc/Metal Gear Acid. Can't wait to see what people do with that.

Miletius

Got my GMG key this morning, and pre-loaded this afternoon. I think the last time I got a game on release day was Pillars of Eternity, so I'm pretty excited for this one. Hopefully I have some time to play this weekend.

Top Bottom