• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

I'm absolutely fine with negative reviews. (or should we say lower than average) Not everyone has to love the game and even if their arguments are weak, the fact that he gave it a lower score means he didn't have the best time playing the game which is perfectly ok. I would be more concerned if everyone loved the game as I know my taste and that would not be possible. :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
This thread is a preview of what the OT is going to be isn't it?

24688802046_3657379630_o.gif

Pennywise

I'm absolutely fine with negative reviews. (or should we say lower than average) Not everyone has to love the game and even if their arguments are weak, the fact that he gave it a lower score means he didn't have the best time playing the game which is perfectly ok. I would be more concerned if everyone loved the game as I know my taste and that would not be possible. :p

We've only seen reviews above the average score so far, and I doubt it's gonna change.

We've only seen reviews above the average score so far, and I doubt it's gonna change.

Yep which is a bit strange and I'll explain what I mean. XCOM has some very particular design choices which I happen to love but a lot of people don't and rightly so. Very high scores like these only means the reviewers are "accepting" the XCOM mechanics and judging the game quality as a whole. Otherwise I could not imagine all those reviewers being ok with the RNG system just to give an example. So yea, I'm happy the game is reviewing well, I may just have different views on what a review should be.

see5harp

Whelp. Bought key on the site mentioned earlier. Seemed dirty paying less than what I paid for The Witness but I will enjoy anyway.

klaushm

Legit? GmG

Greymarket? someone who likes them more will probably answer with where already.

$45 dollars is the best price? Wow. Guess I'm lucky.

I bought it for $22(R$ 89,90) today at Nuuvem, but, don't know if they accept international payment, or if there is some kind of region lock for Steam keys.

$45 dollars is the best price? Wow. Guess I'm lucky.

I bought it for $22(R$ 89,90) today at Nuuvem, but, don't know if they accept international payment, or if there is some kind of region block for Steam keys.

I think Nuuvem's version is region locked to South America...

Pheace

I think Nuuvem's version is region locked to South America...

I think they sold ROW till somewhere end of last year and since then it's Brazil version. It's in the Steam database. There was an email cancelling preorders I think that were made after that they couldn't sell ROW anymore.

Because console exclusives add value to the platform. PC exclusives are bad for gamers.

Lol closed platform good for gamers ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I'm contributing properly for an Xcom 2 thread right?

Seriously though I'm psyched. Does Nexus already have a placeholder mod page up for this yet? If not where is the defacto mod download location on launch?

Adnor

Banned
I think they sold ROW till somewhere end of last year and since then it's Brazil version. It's in the Steam database. There was an email cancelling preorders I think that were made after that they couldn't sell ROW anymore.

I asked them about the keys after they changed the store page:

Nuuvem Support said:
As the regional restriction took effect from yesterday, 25/01 , everyone who purchased the game before that will receive the passkey normally, unrestricted region. = )

So we should get ROW keys if we bought the game before that, but 2K could always change their minds and ask them to refund everyone.

Seriously though I'm psyched. Does Nexus already have a placeholder mod page up for this yet? If not where is the defacto mod download location on launch?

They'll use Steam Workshop.

Only thing that bothers me from the reviews is the apparently bad camera and the game just being a beefed up Xcom 1. I'd rather a sequel with new ideas not just an improvement on the previous iteration

C'mon man, posts like this just derail it further.

This thread's a mess, can we please get back on topic?

Case in point, is EGM's 7.5 the worst review so far, or have we seen lower? Curious what the widest range will be.

Even then, it feels like that review score was more because the writer didn't seem too familiar with turn based shenanigans. I'm curious to see if my impressions are the same as theirs when this thing is powered on here later

Lingitiz

Only thing that bothers me from the reviews is the apparently bad camera and the game just being a beefed up Xcom 1. I'd rather a sequel with new ideas not just an improvement on the previous iteration

Sounds more like the true version of what they really wanted to accomplish with EU/EW since a lot of compromises were made with that game (randomized maps, full character customization, extensive mod support, etc.). So this is them making good on the core formula.

Because console exclusives add value to the platform. PC exclusives are bad for gamers.

What the shit? Console exclusives benefit the console manufacturer's. It doesn't add value for the consumer. If the same game was available on other consoles, your enjoyment is not magically worse. Nor is it better when you're playing an exclusive.

Some people buy into this console war or hardcore fan stuff too much and abandon logic.

Corto

What the shit? Console exclusives benefit the console manufacturer's. It doesn't add value for the consumer. If the same game was available on other consoles, your enjoyment is not magically worse. Nor is it better when you're playing an exclusive.

Some people buy into this console war or hardcore fan stuff too much and abandon logic.

It's a joke.

I'm curious if the funny glitches (like disabling shot) are still in this one? Yeah...I'm sure they are.

Vks5x5N.jpg

I bet my sniper could win an X-Games gold medal with his trick shots.

Sblargh

Banned
There's all sorts of garbage in this thread at this point, but I wanted to roll back a few pages and state why I think that this series (and most games built around the feature) are really best in Ironman.

In Ironman, bad things happen and you're stuck dealing with them. These things aren't to be viewed as bad, though. They are to be viewed as interesting. A campaign where you stomp your way over the the aliens without having setbacks (or even minimal setbacks) is just not compelling.

The other side of things is that without the crutch of takebacks, you spec your characters and roll out your squads differently.

Playing a lower difficultly with ironman is a much more interesting game than playing higher difficultly and reloading when someone past CPL dies.

Yeah, man. I played EU on all its existence without ironman and I liked the game, but that's it, I liked it. Then the hype of XCOM 2 these past months made me go "ok, I'll try and finish it on ironman normal, why not?" and it was a different game. A objectively better game with better feels and better everything. It was an experience (tm). So I decided to give a go on Classic Ironman and so the game went, to me, from "this is a very good and fun game" for most of its existence to "this is godlike gameplay heaven on this earth and omfgbananas".

If (when) I say something like "scrubs who play without ironman", I am joking, I am awful at videogames and not particularly good at XCOM; people play like what they want, etc and stuff. But I'll defend, based on my particular experience, that Ironman, even in a lower difficulty like you said, makes the game better and more memorable. It's a disservice to not suggest people to try it on that mode.

Doop

I'm curious if the funny glitches (like disabling shot) are still in this one? Yeah...I'm sure they are.

I bet my sniper could win an X-Games gold medal with his trick shots.

I love it when I switch to my pistol as the sniper and they fire it with the sniper rifle model. Looks real dumb.

Sblargh

Banned
I love it when I switch to my pistol as the sniper and they fire it with the sniper rifle model. Looks real dumb.

Oh, this happened on one of firaxi's own livestream. A ranger was shooting his sword like a gun. Amazing stuff.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Even then, it feels like that review score was more because the writer didn't seem too familiar with turn based shenanigans. I'm curious to see if my impressions are the same as theirs when this thing is powered on here later

Why? Because they state they like first person shooters?

I seriously don't get why this happens in every review thread.

don't watch the Gametrailers review if you definitely plan on buying the game :p

I hadn't seen the 'Faceless' monster before and I wish I hadn't, and maybe it would have been an in-game surprise haha

anyways, awesome reviews. can't wait to play. i played EW for 6 hours last night in anticipation.

Kadayi

Banned
So pumped. Just wish there was a separate character builder app so I could build out my ppl before launch ala Sims.

Top Bottom