• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 Review thread

All this talk of ironman got me thinking...
I've beaten "Enemy Unknown" twice and "Enemy Within" 3 times (the last 2 with the "Long War" mod) in exactly the same way: perfect campaigns where I reload a save after every tiny mistake and completely crush the aliens with no casualties and hardly any injuries.
After many many MANY hours I still find it fun and compelling. I've never even tried ironman because it sounds like the opposite of fun to me...It sounds like playing a multiplayer game against a pro who is superior to you in every way and you just have to lose and lose until you slowly learn how to win.
I always assumed that some people just like that sense of growth and achievement more than the instant gratification of winning, but now I'm starting to think I might be missing something and I don't know what it is...

Anno

Traditionally I dislike timed missions, but I'm going to make a real effort to embrace them here. I've seen a couple good moments in various streams, similar to the ending the PCGN review, that make me want those moments more than I think I dislike feeling a bit rushed. Plus I think it'll just force me into being aggressive and take some risks, which I'm normally not big on.

Anyone who really wants to use a controller for Xcom 2 try Controller Companion on Steam. I've not used it myself but it's cheap (£1.99) and has had overwhelmingly positive reviews from 883 reviews. I'm considering getting it.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
My biggest complaint from the dev streams and reviews is that the old camera glitches, overwatch slowdown, and weapon swap bugs haven't been fixed. If these really obvious bugs haven't been fixed from the first game, what about any other bugs I've yet to experience?

Lingitiz

Anyone who really wants to use a controller for Xcom 2 try Controller Companion on Steam. I've not used it myself but it's cheap (£1.99) and has had overwhelmingly positive reviews from 883 reviews. I'm considering getting it.

Better off just grabbing a Steam Controller, which based on EU works pretty well.

I hope so, a few don't bother me but there seems to be a lot of missions with turn limits.

Also i heard some talk about official mods launching on day 1, does anyone know if that's true?

I'd give it a shot first.

And yeah, it's true. The Long War guys got signed up by Firaxis to put out 3 mods, all of which are going to be there at launch. The Muton Centurion (later-game enemy), the Leader soldier (sub?)class, and the SMG weapon, which aids movement and I want to say concealment at the cost of accuracy and I think damage.

I hope so, a few don't bother me but there seems to be a lot of missions with turn limits.

Also i heard some talk about official mods launching on day 1, does anyone know if that's true?
Yup. From their site:
This past weekend, during our panel at PAX South, we revealed details on our partnership with Long War Studios. LWS will produce three unique mods for XCOM 2, all available for free at launch. The mods are as follows:
lws_weapon_beam.jpg

SMG-series Weapon Mod

This mod adds three new Submachine Gun-type weapons, one for each of XCOM 2’s three weapon tiers: conventional, magnetic and beam. SMGs offer bonus mobility, concealment and close-range accuracy when compared to the Assault Rifle, but at a penalty to damage output and long-range accuracy.
lws_002.jpg

Muton Centurion Mod

This mod adds a new alien unit to XCOM 2: the Muton Centurion. This Muton leader is stronger than the base Muton and has the ability to grant bonuses to other alien units. These units are easily identified by their red armor and special face mask.
lws_003.jpg

XCOM Leader Mod

This mod adds a special “Leader” upgrade path for XCOM soldiers. Leaders, which may be unlocked via an upgrade to the Guerilla Tactics School, draw from a pool of ten new abilities. Each Leader may learn up to five of these skills. Only one Leader may be taken on a mission at a time.

All three of these mods will be available free of charge. For more information on mod support, watch the VOD of our PAX South panel below. You will be able to download and install these mods, and more, through Steam Workshop when XCOM 2 launches on February 5.

I'd give it a shot first.

And yeah, it's true. The Long War guys got signed up by Firaxis to put out 3 mods, all of which are going to be there at launch. The Muton Centurion (later-game enemy), the Leader soldier (sub?)class, and the SMG weapon, which aids movement and I want to say concealment at the cost of accuracy and I think damage.

Oh wow thanks. I think i read a thread here on GAF about Long War Studios and their work on Xcom 2 but didn't actually read the whole thing or i don't remember :)

And yeah i'll most likely give the vanilla game a shot before making any changes to see how i like it. I just really tend to dislike any kind of time/turn limits in games since i like to take my time.

Edit: Thanks for the Screens and info Lurker. That looks nice, that Muton looks like a Krogan from Mass Effect!

Nzyme32

Definitely skip the first one, it's horrible on every level that matters. I'd advise you to wait for user reviews before buying this one as well as these reviews could've been bought.

Because console exclusives add value to the platform. PC exclusives are bad for gamers.

F-U-C-K O-F-F P-E-A-S-A-N-T

This is classic. I can't tell who is serious and who's ego has been hurt so deeply. It is as bad as the guy that entered the other Xcom2 thread to complain of the game being "identical" to the prior game with an argument that clearly demonstrated both never having played that game or even watching or reading about this new one.

Typical PC game thread quality. Looking forward to the OT

Nzyme32

Any word on touch controls? I doubt my Surface Pro 2 could run this anyway.

Doubt the pro 2 can hack it judging by the minimum requirements. I have actually enjoyed play Starcraft 2 on a friends pro 3 and 4 using the pen, which is surprisingly usable. So I guess it could work well assuming one of them can handle it

Man, amazon.ca keeps sending me emails that the release date for xcom 2 has been updated to unknown. i've gotten 6 emails in the past few days telling me the same thing! Spoke to CS who told me that i'll get the game on the date of release, but I'm still a little worried why they'd start sending me emails over and over again telling me the same thing. I even got it twice in one day! lol

I've beaten "Enemy Unknown" twice and "Enemy Within" 3 times (the last 2 with the "Long War" mod) in exactly the same way: perfect campaigns where I reload a save after every tiny mistake and completely crush the aliens with no casualties and hardly any injuries.
After many many MANY hours I still find it fun and compelling. I've never even tried ironman because it sounds like the opposite of fun to me...It sounds like playing a multiplayer game against a pro who is superior to you in every way and you just have to lose and lose until you slowly learn how to win.
I always assumed that some people just like that sense of growth and achievement more than the instant gratification of winning, but now I'm starting to think I might be missing something and I don't know what it is...

sounds like the definition of fun to me. that's how i play every video game these days. i jack that shit up to the highest difficulty, and you know what? three hours in i'm the absolute shit just wrecking errybody because there's no better way to learn

trw

For me at least, the best feeling in xcom or games with similar permadeath and consequences is when things go real bad but you somehow manage to salvage it by improvising and barely scraping by. My first time in EU I did the savescum thing but it was so much more fun and rewarding to ignore that and try to come up with new tactics on the go. Every action has more weight behind it when you just can't load the save which leads to much more fun and varied ways to take out objectives.

TBiddy

Man, I have mixed feelings about this. I really loved the first game, and more of that sounds like a great thing.

But then they go and add timers and turn-limits, which are two things I absolutely hate. There'll probably be a mod for that, but as of right now, I'll hold back my purchase.

Any word on touch controls? I doubt my Surface Pro 2 could run this anyway.

It requires a GTX 460 or better as Steam's minimum requirements.

The GTX 460 is aproximately 2.5-3x more powerful than the HD4400 in the Surface Pro 2.

Even my Surface Book with dedicated 940m is probably only 2/3 or 3/4 as powerful.

Ont

Man, I have mixed feelings about this. I really loved the first game, and more of that sounds like a great thing.

But then they go and add timers and turn-limits, which are two things I absolutely hate. There'll probably be a mod for that, but as of right now, I'll hold back my purchase.

Enemy Within on Classic Ironman was a much better experience when you tried to grab all the timed meld canisters. Obviously, doing that in Impossible Ironman mode was suicidal.

For me at least, the best feeling in xcom or games with similar permadeath and consequences is when things go real bad but you somehow manage to salvage it by improvising and barely scraping by. My first time in EU I did the savescum thing but it was so much more fun and rewarding to ignore that and try to come up with new tactics on the go. Every action has more weight behind it when you just can't load the save which leads to much more fun and varied ways to take out objectives.

This is one of the reasons why I loved the original so much.

In fact, it is also the reason why I am more entertained now by watching others suffer permadeath loss just as I did back in the day.

Same reason why I no longer make Hardcore arpg characters.

All good coming from EU/EW but I doubt it'll appease the "UFO Defense was perfect"/"TU or death" crowds.

Cool.

Is there such crowds? I loved the originals but it was despite the flaws so I was happy with what they produced last time.

Sounds like all good again, just a shame about the Aus price as usual.

Spinifex

Cool.

Is there such crowds? I loved the originals but it was despite the flaws so I was happy with what they produced last time.

Sounds like all good again, just a shame about the Aus price as usual.

Ozgameshop has it for a pretty decent price.

2K must be the worst at ripping Australians off, Borderlands the pre-sequel is $100 lol

Jonm1010

Banned
Wish this game had day one controller support.

I would absolutely support this if it did but as a comfy couch PC gamer it's a no go til or if they implement it.

TBiddy

Enemy Within on Classic Ironman was a much better experience when you tried to grab all the timed meld canisters. Obviously, doing that in Impossible Ironman mode was suicidal.

Each to his own. I don't like being stressed like that. I play games to relax and have a good time - even if it means playing on easy.

Jonm1010

Banned
The console versions sold like shit and 2 won't have mod support behind it on consoles which is one of the huge selling points of 2. I say this as someone who played EU on both 360 and pc and preferred the game pad controls, I wouldn't even put a dollar on the line that this comes to ps4 and xbone.
With such sparse releases this gen I feel like XCOM would have a much better shot this go round.

Want this now.
So badly.
XCOM was one of those games I was quite bad at - on higher difficulties - but I just absolutely adored. Some of those mods seem quite cool, but I kinda wish there was a randomly generated map mode with co-op, but unless I've missed it, it's not that big a deal as the head to head stuff was pretty fun.
Come on CDKeys...

Yeah, I can't imagine playing XCOM without ironman. My first playthrough of the previous game was on normal + ironman, and I'm planning to do the same with this. From what I've seen/read I'm expecting this to be more difficult on the first go.

Top Bottom