• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown |OT| Neo GAF is Under Alien Control

they havent said too much about strategy layer changes, I think they're going to introduce the ability to launch multiple bases and base assaults, which I know were two of the most requested features when the first game came out.

With the new structures, you're going to need more facility slots to complete the game on classic or impossible.

The Stig

they havent said too much about strategy layer changes, I think they're going to introduce the ability to launch multiple bases and base assaults, which I know were two of the most requested features when the first game came out.

With the new structures, you're going to need more facility slots to complete the game on classic or impossible.

i wouldnt get your hopes up. that would be more than an expansion.

Sentenza

they havent said too much about strategy layer changes
Yeah, they haven't. But unlike you I fear that's simply because they are not planning many changes in the first place.
Of course I would be very glad of being proven wrong, because I think that's by far the weakest part of the game.

Jintor

Yeah, they haven't. But unlike you I fear that's simply because they are not planning many changes in the first place.
Of course I would be very glad of being proven wrong, because I think that's by far the weakest part of the game.

I live in hope.

The Geoscape layer of the original is still my favourite implementation. To tear up their current satellite system might be shitty though...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Fucking punching aliens through exploding cars, man.

Fuck yeah.

Multiple bases seems kinda useless unless they have a lot of other changes in store.

Dead

well not really...yet
Dunno why it took me so long to play this, but picked this up on PS3 and it is cool as shit. Never played any of the old xcoms tho.

Just lost my first dude, shit sucked but I soldiered on!

DarkFlow

Banned
Dunno why it took me so long to play this, but picked this up on PS3 and it is cool as shit. Never played any of the old xcoms tho.

Just lost my first dude, shit sucked but I soldiered on!

I always use Rookies as cannon fodder scouts. If they live, then I know they have what it takes lol.

Morokh

The randomize promotions second wave option for the expansion looks ridiculously entertaining.

Maaan I got that confused with the actual game xD

Just finished the game itself and was really pumped to start it again with that option, only to find out I confused it with the expansion ...

Well, I'll just go with randomized stats in Classic for now :p

After finishing this on impossible, classic ironman feels easy as hell. Impossible is bullshit, the only way to get through is via save scumming. Thin Men being able to OHKO your guys from across the map is utter shit. At least on classic, enemies actually have a chance of missing.

Sentenza

After finishing this on impossible, classic ironman feels easy as hell. Impossible is bullshit, the only way to get through is via save scumming. Thin Men being able to OHKO your guys from across the map is utter shit. At least on classic, enemies actually have a chance of missing.
The whole idea of giving enemies a stealth hit/crit/cover bonus at higher difficulty settings is bullshit, quite frankly.

Tacitus_

I think the panic level rising by 3 in the countries you didn't go to is more bullshit. Once I got a couple months in and had a reasonable level of satellite coverage it's been mostly smooth sailing. I found the Thin Men spamming poison spit a lot more annoying since it had a tendency of making my guys chain panic.

Jintor

Here is a gif of a sniper panicking, turning around and instantly headshotting a dude with reaction fire

best_animated_images_epic_jump_shot.gif

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I always use Rookies as cannon fodder scouts. If they live, then I know they have what it takes lol.
Rookie hazing is the leading cause of death for my XCOM unit.

You want to be a squaddie, huh? Bring back a live Muton.

Tacitus_

Though I have to admit, the teleport move the aliens love to abuse causes much grief and save scumming. I just had a squad of elite mutons teleport into the deploy zone that had no other entrances and had one of my guys trapped because a fire started in the single doorway out of there. Oh joy.

I think the panic level rising by 3 in the countries you didn't go to is more bullshit. Once I got a couple months in and had a reasonable level of satellite coverage it's been mostly smooth sailing. I found the Thin Men spamming poison spit a lot more annoying since it had a tendency of making my guys chain panic.

I finished impossible with one country left until the program was shut down. Got pretty fucking lucky there, launching satellites at the end of the month in countries with high panic helped a lot.

Also, on my classic ironman playthrough, I haven't done the Alien Base Assault yet, but I already have plasma weaponry, titan armor, full satellite coverage on my remaining 12 countries, and $4000 in the bank. Now I see why it's a good idea to use the arc thrower early.

And yeah, teleporting enemies is fucking stupid, and it's even more stupid that they're fixing it with a paid expansion rather than with a patch.

Jintor

They've specifically said 'no more teleporting enemies'. Given Firaxis, I would think they would slip it into a normal patch as well. I'd hope so, anyway.

Sentenza

The best news about this so far is one I just read on an italian forum: apparently they are also heavily revamping the cover system.
Now it doesn't just make a distinction between "covered", "flanked" and "out of cover" but it applies various degrees of cover bonus according to the angle from where an enemy is shooting and how good the cover is.
Or so I've just been told.

Pennybags

So many haters in the EW thread.

Details keep coming in, it's not like the expansion is just maps and mechs. People seem to ignore that it touches the whole game, rebalancing combat.

Now it doesn't just make a distinction between "covered", "flanked" and "out of cover" but it applies various degrees of cover bonus according to the angle from where an enemy is shooting and how good the cover is.

It's a new Second Wave option.

Tacitus_

The best news about this so far is one I just read on an italian forum: apparently they are also heavily revamping the cover system.
Or so I've just been told.

The interview I posted said something about that revamp, but didn't go into detail.

Sentenza

So many haters in the EW thread.

Details keep coming in, it's not like the expansion is just maps and mechs. People seem to ignore that it touches the whole game, rebalancing combat.

Well, it's a bit their fault, isn't it? They are releasing just limited amounts of information instead of stating from the start what everything they are putting on the table, which sound like a pointless marketing strategy talking about an expansion of a pre-existing game releasing in a couple of months.

Jintor

Well, it's a bit their fault, isn't it? They are releasing just limited amounts of information instead of stating from the start what everything they are putting on the table, which sound like a pointless marketing strategy talking about an expansion of a pre-existing game releasing in a couple of months.

Information rollout about videogames in preview cycles is always this way. It's the same reason they doll out trailers over time instead of all in one big lump. They want to keep their name in the active consciousness with new information every few weeks.

So the fanbase is all grumbly now, and as more information is released it'll look better and better. So it goes.

OH MY GAWD...

this game. this fucking game...is SO AMAZING.

Yep, LTTP a bit, but still... I'm having a hell of a time. Only a couple of hours in, but I see the hype and praise are well deserved.

The Stig

with all this hype im finally gonna bite the bullet and do ironman impossible.

ive done impossible and classic ironman but not I/I

just got lone wolf earlier, it has inspired me.

edit - update - got wet work somehow. on ironman impossible....... amazing.

in the 2nd month. lost 1 country and just got through the terror mission. have lost maybe 5 soldiers I think. this is the game. this is the one.

Thrakier

I already poured 22 hours in the game and it still doesn't end, mission after mission. It's just tedious now. Plz let me finish. How!??

McNum

I already poured 22 hours in the game and it still doesn't end, mission after mission. It's just tedious now. Plz let me finish. How!??
Go to the Situation Room, look for whatever is marked ***PRIORITY*** Do that. All the main story missions are marked like that.

If you're stuck and don't know what to do next, check back to the Situation Room once in a while.

The Stig

will it be base defence like the old game? in that you custom build your base and the base level reflects that?

I think more likely there is a one-off large base level much like the base assault against the aliens.

Does anyone know if Enemy Within will use the same trophy set as Enemy Unkown, or will it be a new one?

Wanna know if I can sell my Xcom copy or not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there anyway to check how many missions you did? I'm not sure if I've fucked up my PC playthrough for "Ain't No Calvary Comin'" or not.

Jintor

I know a new round of press things is happening atm. I anticipate announcements soon.

I nearly got my hands on some info, but unfortunately the press guy remembered what I did last time I got my hands on early code =P (well, not really, but kinda)

Started a new game yesterday, really liking the balance of impossible + flanking perk from second wave. Disappointed to see that there hasn't been a patch released to address the problems though.

Is Firaxis going to let us see a numerical list (or function keys) of soldiers on the HUD?

And are there going to be more music pieces in the expansion?

ShaneB

Looking for mod advice. What's the easiest way to name generate so those appear in game? Meaning I don't want to edit names in game after characters appear, I just want "soldier name X" to be recruited, and when I start the game I'll be playing characters I named.

Top Bottom