• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Releases December 1st 2017

$100?

Had no idea it was that expensive. Well, regular edition for me, since I have to bundle it with the switch itself because I don't have one.

Are you gonna buy a Switch in December 1st?

giphy.gif

Slixshot

Banned
Care to provide some shots of these improvements. I've noticed them too, but some people in this thread still insist the game looks worse than a Wii U game.

That's baffling. You gotta appreciate even the sheer scope of these games. I'm playing Breath of the Wild right now and it's pretty clear that Nintendo took some notes on scale from Monolith :)

Pleasantly surprised it's made this year, with no delay. It's looking brilliant and it will be awesome to have a great JRPG to play on the handheld.

Switch is killing it right now.

Zelda BotW,
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,
Arms,
Splatoon 2,
Xenoblade Chronicles 2,
Mario Oddessy,

What an amazing first year for 1st party exclusives and even decent 3rd party support too, which many people didn't believe would happen.

Pleasantly surprised it's made this year, with no delay. It's looking brilliant and it will be awesome to have a great JRPG to play on the handheld.

Switch is killing it right now.

Zelda BotW,
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe,
Arms,
Splatoon 2,
Xenoblade Chronicles 2,
Mario Oddessy,

What an amazing first year for 1st party exclusives and even decent 3rd party support too, which many people didn't believe would happen.

Yeah its insane. Nintendo alone straight up murdered my wallet this year.

What makes this game "Chronicles 2" instead of "Xenoblade 3" ?

"X" is basically a side series that focuses more on exploration and a stronger sci-fi bent. "Xenoblade (numbered)" is story-focused with a more linear gameplay setup. Before X came out Takahashi was very clear that it was its own thing and not a pure Xenoblade sequel. He treats the two titles as very different types of games.

Maiar_m

Are you able to change clothes in the game? Like in the first game?
We don't know but the Titan in cat form in Rex's helmet makes it unlikely IMO. As for Blades, I'd go with a hard no. Pyra will always be dressed for the next swimsuit photoshoot throughout the game, bet on it.

RockmanBN

We don't know but the Titan in cat form in Rex's helmet makes it unlikely IMO. As for Blades, I'd go with a hard no. Pyra will always be dressed for the next swimsuit photoshoot throughout the game, bet on it.

Bleh, don't want that. Was great in the original so Sharla didn't have to wear her default outfit. Still getting the game, but I'm going to love looking at the scenery. Not so much the characters.

TheJoRu

Not sure if I want this, there's lots to play and limited funds. If reviews are really great I'll probably get it, it'd really be a good engrossing game to play over the holiday break.

Every time i see an American pre-order, it raises my blood pressure. I expect to be dead by morning lol.

Lets go Amazon or Best Buy. Update your shit lol.

RPGCrazied

Every time i see an American pre-order, it raises my blood pressure. I expect to be dead by morning lol.

Lets go Amazon or Best Buy. Update your shit lol.

Well, gamestop.com doesn't charge you before it ships. You could order there and cancel it if its cheaper or whatever on Amazon.

MTC100

Banned
Amazon.de has the Limited Edition for preorder it costs 99 Euro though...

I still preordered it, might drop before launching, we'll see.

It's already the second most wanted item in the videogames category, also Mario Odyssey Bundle with the Switch is at 12 and Odyssey at 8...

It's funny how the direct influenced pre-orders that much, Mario Odyssey was in high demand before but never cracked the top 10.

BTW: you see if something is successful if the BUNDLE is the same price as ordering the game and the console separately, lol...

neoemonk

Rewatched the whole XB2 section on my big living room TV...this looks amazing - cant wait for this one. Hope it can live up to our expectations !!

I watched on my laptop and now I have to watch it again on my Chromecast in the living room because of you.

Voice acting is really really shit.

Like, shockingly so. Is the VO strike hurting them this badly? Everything about this game looks so damn good, except the character designs, which look like they are out of a How to Draw Manga book for the most part, especially in the faces. But the battle system looks like an absolute blast.

adroit

So any bets (or confirmation) on whether or not the Xenoblade Pro Controller is going to be exclusive to GameStop in DJ Drumpf's America?

Like, shockingly so. Is the VO strike hurting them this badly? Everything about this game looks so damn good, except the character designs, which look like they are out of a How to Draw Manga book for the most part, especially in the faces. But the battle system looks like an absolute blast.

This game is being localized by Nintendo of Europe, who also handled the Xenoblade 1 localization. They're not affected by the VO strike.

-shadow-

It's being localised in Europe, so I have no idea why it's so bad since the strike isn't here. Especially since NOE has a track record that's more good than bad...

oti

Banned
My interest in this has increased after the Direct showing. The characters looks better now I believe (except for that utter trash girl Design my god I hope I can put a normal costume on her). Problem is Ni no Kuni 2 is coming out 6 weeks after this and I'm getting that one on day 1 no matter what. So I'll skip Xenoblade 2 for now and get it during a drought or something.

The voice actor strike has absolutely nothing to do with this, that is a strike only concerning the regulations in America and the localisation for this has been handled by Nintendo of Europe since they handled the well received localisation of the first game which gave killer robots cockney accents and after the lukewarm at best reception to Nintendo of America's handling of the Xenoblade Chronicles X localisation they've seen if they can repeat the trick with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is why the characters here have English and Scottish accents.

Now you are at least informed :)

TheMoon

What makes this game "Chronicles 2" instead of "Xenoblade 3" ?

X was not 2. That simple. :) X was about open world, do watcha wanna, sci-fi focus, all about mechs, explore, explore, explore, less story focus

Xenoblade and Xenoblade 2 are big worlds, somewhat linear progression through them tied together big grand story with sci-fi/fantasy bland.

This game is being localized by Nintendo of Europe, who also handled the Xenoblade 1 localization. They're not affected by the VO strike.

Do we actually know this? I hear people say this but never have I seen a source for that statement. Do we just assume this because of British accents?

The voice actor strike has absolutely nothing to do with this, that is a strike only concerning the regulations in America and the localisation for this has been handled by Nintendo of Europe since they handled the well received localisation of the first game which gave killer robots cockney accents and after the lukewarm at best reception to Nintendo of America's handling of the Xenoblade Chronicles X localisation they've seen if they can repeat the trick with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which is why the characters here have English and Scottish accents.

I thought the XCX localization was generally well received aside from a certain former poster.

Do we actually know this? I hear people say this but never have I seen a source for that statement. Do we just assume this because of British accents?

Yep. Here's the source: https://kotaku.com/xenoblade-chronicles-xs-director-on-localization-change-1796157409
While Nintendo of America localized Xenoblade Chronicles X, Nintendo of Europe is handling Takahashi’s next game, Xenoblade Chronicles 2. (NoE also localized the original Xenoblade Chronicles.) Director Genki Yokota, who works for Nintendo’s Japanese division (NCL), says all three companies are communicating about localization decisions that may prove to be controversial.

My interest in this has increased after the Direct showing. The characters looks better now I believe (except for that utter trash girl Design my god I hope I can put a normal costume on her). Problem is Ni no Kuni 2 is coming out 6 weeks after this and I'm getting that one on day 1 no matter what. So I'll skip Xenoblade 2 for now and get it during a drought or something.

I am mulling over the exact same issue myself. I'm confident this will be good, especially for someone who loves both the first Chronicles and X, but I may just wait for reviews before I make up my mind about trying to play 2 lengthy JRPGs back-to-back.

I just feel like having played Xenoblade Chronicles on both Wii and 3DS as well as X on Wii U within the last 3 years if I'm to skip out on one for a few months it'll be this game rather than Ni No Kuni, which I have only played through once and I am very intrigued about the direction the sequel has gone in.

If only NNK2 hadn't been delayed I think things would've been so much easier! :(

Lingitiz

I am mulling over the exact same issue myself. I'm confident this will be good, especially for someone who loves both the first Chronicles and X, but I may just wait for reviews before I make up my mind about trying to play 2 lengthy JRPGs back-to-back.

I just feel like having played Xenoblade Chronicles on both Wii and 3DS as well as X on Wii U within the last 3 years if I'm to skip out on one for a few months it'll be this game rather than Ni No Kuni, which I have only played through once and I am very intrigued about the direction the sequel has gone in.

If only NNK2 hadn't been delayed I think things would've been so much easier! :(

Excited for NNK2 especially on PC, but with this being on Switch it makes it the obvious choice for me. Really tough to sitdown and play a 100 hr RPG these days, but a portable makes it doable.

RPGCrazied

Did they say you can switch armor? I have yet to see the main character in any other outfit other then his scuba gear.

At least we know it has functions though when he goes underwater and his little pet lives in his helmet.

Fireblend

Banned
Did they say you can switch armor? I have yet to see the main character in any other outfit other then his scuba gear.

At least we know it has functions though when he goes underwater and his little pet lives in his helmet.

I'm guessing not. You could in the other games, but there's no way they've shown so much of this one yet not mentioned a word about customizing your characters' appearance. A shame, but I guess they decided against it in the end.

It's being localised in Europe, so I have no idea why it's so bad since the strike isn't here. Especially since NOE has a track record that's more good than bad...

Thanks for the heads up! I loved Metal Face's voice, so if this game has anything ridiculous like that I will be much happier haha. But yeah, maybe they just picked bad takes for the trailer. Here's hoping at least.

Surfside

Banned
I'm guessing not. You could in the other games, but there's no way they've shown so much of this one yet not mentioned a word about customizing your characters' appearance. A shame, but I guess they decided against it in the end.

But you could get different outfits as the story progresses or as reward for side missions.
That's pretty common in jrpg's.

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/article/91de0ccd-96a8-11e7-8cda-063b7ac45a6d.html

https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/204208-xenoblade-chronicles-2/75773353?page=1

Translation of a new Message by Takahashi

"And there it is, the December 1st release date.
The office has been a whirl of activity lately, fixing bugs and making final balance adjustments, but we're almost there. I'm so grateful that everyone has put so much effort into crafting the game up until now. (Just look at all that grass that's grown.)

I finished up a full check of the game the other day...we're checking through the enormous amount of quests and in-game content now, but [Koh] Kojima(Producer) and everyone will be assisting, so I'm honestly not worried at all.

So, the trailer today only just introduced the basics. The characters and areas shown were only a small part of the whole, Xenoblade 2 has plenty more in store for players.

And the Blades are a must-see. We debuted ”Finch", who was designed by Kunihiko Tanaka, and there are many more rare Blades for everyone to look forward to! By the way, the song playing in the background of the battle explanation was ”Fight!!", by [Kenji] Hiramatsu, and it primarily plays in the early areas of the game. Different locations and situations will have different battle themes, so you can look forward to those too!

There are so many more things to talk about, but I don't want to step on the PR staff's toes, so that's it for today. We'll be revealing more and more details from here on, so please stick with us all the way until release!"

Takahashi confirms multiple battle themes so that explains why the temp. boss theme (which was in the E3 demo for the boss) and the unique monster theme are different.

DJIzana

Do we know if you can actually go underwater though? In previous Xenoblade games you could always swim on the surface (but never underwater). Sure, Rex has lore behind his outfit but we don't know if it will actually serve a functional purpose in game, like being able to explore underwater.

Top Bottom