• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Releases December 1st 2017

Fou-Lu

They are probably two halves of the same whole.
(Spoilers for Xenosaga):
Like KOS-MOS and T-elos.
It would be fun if Pyra turned out to be the evil twin.

LordKano

Another thing I have noticed. Pyra is on the right while the blonde is on the left. The blade in the middle is in both red and golden color.

Hmm... Looks kind of fishy.

We haven't see blonde girl since last January, right ?
She's probably deeply connected to the plot.

Reki

Another thing I have noticed. Pyra is on the right while the blonde is on the left. The blade in the middle is in both red and golden color.

Yeah, she'll probably confront you at some point in the first half of the game and then join you when you defeat her or something.

It makes me wonder if by virtue of introducing a lot of blades to the party we'll have less "properly" playable characters than the previous games (7 in XC and 19 in XCX).

Harpoon

I think all of the characters shown here might be party members, as the guy with the pompadour's Blade was shown levelling up in the Gamescom footage.

Oh, hope he is a driver.

Pretty sure he is, as the girl with the glasses and lightbulb hat has been shown next to him a few times and she looks much more like a Blade.

Yep, I didn't mean it in a bad way.

There is quite a decent bit more going on in Xenoblade's world design than many other JRPGs that aren't just Dungeon Crawlers. Monsters have routes around the world and different behaviors based on their species. Landmarks tend to be distinct, there's a lot of verticality to space which has only gotten better over each game, making traversal of these areas more interesting, there are very few invisible walls.

There's a lot more going on in Xenoblade's area design to get you to feel that way about the scale in addition to the art design. If you could not jump off a cliff, would the vertical space matter? If the higher level monsters weren't placed to keep you from accessing parts of the world even in the early game, you wouldn't move quite as deliberately, and the game would lose a sense of awe, that you are small in the face of a grand world.

Yeah it would be a good way of destroying the OT.

So naw.

Agreed, anything to encourage boring posts about the game should not be an OT title.

Maiar_m

She was shown twice in the E3 trailer. But yes, she's definitely important. I'm getting strong Melia vibes from her.

She'll be a copy of Pyra in an attempt to recreate the Aegis, first used to try and stop Rex's quest, but then eventually becoming allies, and Pyra's final form is fusioned with blonde girl. Betting money right now.

tjlee2

Neo Member
Very excited about the game, but not yet committing because I currently do not own a Switch. Monolith has been hit or miss in its history to me (played Xenogear, all Xenosaga, and Xenoblade 1) so while this game is a console seller for me (Mario is helping out a lot here at the moment too), I want to be sure before making the purchase.

With the number of factions being introduced, there is potential for the political setting to be intriguing. If things aren't too black and white, there can be a lot of layers to the overarching story. While the motivation for the main character/party at first glance is very straightforward (much like Xenoblade 1), the pieces are there for the story to have a lot of complexity and interesting twist and turns (hopefully ending up like Xenoblade 1).

No strong opinions on characters one way or the other at the moment. I have no problem with the designs, and I don't think they are worth noting as either exceptionally good/bad cases. Characters are more defined by their associated personality and actions, so hopefully they are interesting both individually as well as a whole through out the game. Xenoblade 1 characters were mostly fairly static, but when grouped together they complemented each other very well, both protagonists as well as antagonists. It's not always about doing something unique. Going standard/generic but doing it well can still provide an amazing cast in the end.

Really enjoyed Xenoblade 1 combat. Interested to see how/if the new mechanics add to the game. Not excited about randomized blade, which is actually one of many reasons I skipped Nioh even though I cannot get enough of Souls type games. It's more tolerable for me in RPGs so it's not a major issue.

Definitely hoping this is more a hit than a miss from Monolith.

Oh, hope he is a driver.

cCf9wYf.jpg

Probably, since he has a weapon and a character following him around.

XandBosch

I think this will be a game I buy when Switch finally has that couple months with no big releases. There are too many games coming out this holiday that get priority. Mario, Skyrim, Doom, Stardew, still haven't played Rabbids, just started Samus Returns, etc.

This seems like it'll take forever to beat - in a good way.

She'll be a copy of Pyra in an attempt to recreate the Aegis, first used to try and stop Rex's quest, but then eventually becoming allies, and Pyra's final form is fusioned with blonde girl. Betting money right now.
If they actually write up this type of light novel melodramatic cliché plot on top of the these horrible character designs I will be massively disappointed.

It seems pretty clear that the Aegis Blade everyone wants is a fusion of Pyra and Mellow Yellow over there, but who knows where that'll actually land in the narrative. It could (and hopefully) is something that's revealed early on instead of being this huge shocking secret.

duckroll

I wonder if we'll ever learn more about the localization process in Xenoblade 2. They're making massive changes to the terms and names of places and people. I can understand changing the Japanese inspired names to make the connection more obvious in English, but I'm puzzled by the faction changes because in Japanese they're clearly named after the Seven Deadly Sins in the original Latin - Invidia, Superbia, Gula, Acedia, Avaritia, and Ira. Which means there's probably a Luxuria somewhere too, since we saw 8 factions but they only highlighted 6. The English names seeming like high fantasy made up names is less interesting imo.

That is my main issue as well. In the artwork, she looks completely fine. But the 3D in-game model just looks ridiculous with that chest they gave her there, which seems much larger and completely unrealistically shaped even compared with the artwork.

Oh... boobs aside I'm not a fan of her outfit either. It's too "sexy" just for the sake of it. What reason would a female character in a universe like that have for being half naked?

Astral Dog

I wonder if we'll ever learn more about the localization process in Xenoblade 2. They're making massive changes to the terms and names of places and people. I can understand changing the Japanese inspired names to make the connection more obvious in English, but I'm puzzled by the faction changes because in Japanese they're clearly named after the Seven Deadly Sins in the original Latin - Invidia, Superbia, Gula, Acedia, Avaritia, and Ira. Which means there's probably a Luxuria somewhere too, since we saw 8 factions but they only highlighted 6. The English names seeming like high fantasy made up names is less interesting imo.

thats interesting maybe to make it less obvious or kid friendly, i doubt its going to really matter either way they are just names

TheMoon

It is pretty funny how people gave you flack in the Metroid Samus Returns threads. It's just a title guys.

At this point I'm used to it and use it to fuel my next awful choice that is secretly amazing ;D

(I do warn people every time, though!)

duckroll

thats interesting maybe to make it less obvious or kid friendly, i doubt its going to really matter either way they are just names

It might not matter in the larger scheme of things, but Takahashi never names or writes anything without a reason behind it. They're not just random names. If he names something after a foreign word that is part of a thematic set, it's intentional and a reference to how he thinks of whatever he is naming. Definitely interesting.

Welp, I took the plunge and started Xenoblade 1 because I have a problem. I don't even know if the two are super connected, but I've got until late October until Destiny 2 PC and Mario Odyssey come out. I figure I can finish this by then.

Why do people want a title that will lead to the OT having no proper discussion?
Self derision ? We can have a chuckle about some things about the game and have serious discussion, both things aren't mutually exclusive.

It might not matter in the larger scheme of things, but Takahashi never names or writes anything without a reason behind it. They're not just random names. If he names something after a foreign word that is part of a thematic set, it's intentional and a reference to how he thinks of whatever he is naming. Definitely interesting.
Interesting indeed.

I wonder if the FIGS translation will follow the English translation or straigtht from Japanese.

Nekster

Wow, i didn't notice it. I definitely like a lot more the original with all these seven deadly sins implications and references. It's a shame they changed it! :_

I remember some names being changed in XCX, and I'm pretty sure 8-4 and Treehouse were in communication with Monolith Soft for a large chunk of the game's development.

Nickie

Neo Member
"Camera angle." Right.

GoNintendo did a few other comparisons of characters and shots from the recent footage to earlier stuff. Everything is definitely improving.

The time of day affects cutscenes so it must be taken to consideration that the lighting changes based on what time you arrived to that cutscene...

Why do people want a title that will lead to the OT having no proper discussion?

Because this:

Btw, If the OT is not called "Puberty hit the Monado like a truck" what's the fucking point

is fucking hilarious.

The time of day affects cutscenes so it must be taken to consideration that the lighting changes based on what time you arrived to that cutscene...

Dude the face looks absolutely *NOTHING* alike, where the lighting looks very similar. What are you smoking that lighting would completely change the eyes and facial shape!?

While time of day could be a factor for some of the differences, it wouldn't explain the changes to Rex's eyebrows, his eye shape, his iris size, or the change in the width of his mouth.

That being said, I'm not sure how much his model has changed since E3. In the E3 trailer, he seemed to look much closer to the September screenshot than the January screenshot.

Nekster

I would have been happier without knowing the original faction names are the seven deadly sins... now i'm starting to feel angry about the localization. Why they do that!

Ridley327

We did have something of a minor controversy with Xenoblade X, where the acronym for BLADE changed between Japan and the west, from Beyond the Logos Artificial Destiny Emancipator to Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth. Same thing with going from Dolls to Skells.

That being said, I think that Takahahsi always signs off any changes, as I know 8-4 mentioned in the past that he gave them a lot of freedom with the localization for Baten Kaitos Origins and I assume they enjoyed the same on Xenoblade X.

Self derision ? We can have a chuckle about some things about the game and have serious discussion, both things aren't mutually exclusive.

Interesting indeed.

I wonder if the FIGS translation will follow the English translation or straigtht from Japanese.

Because lots of Xenoblade threads are always derailed and it sucks.

Usually most discussions devolve to character designs.

Edit: We haven't really talked about the story aspect of the game until the last few pages.

Top Bottom