• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: reviews thread

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I understand all these things guys. I'm just annoyed I can't play it without replacing my perfectly functional 3DS XL.

Nope. Like that throughout the game. *shrugs*

Born in a world of Strife! Against the odds! We choose to FIGHT!

But in all seriously, I really liked the taking. There may have been a lot of it, but to me it showed that they were working together, rather than just having 3 silent protagonists that happen to be attacking the same thing at the same time

Peltz

I'm skeptical this strategy will work.

Lol... you and me both man. You and me both.

I'm just going to finish off the last 2-5 hours and be done with it.

It's a phenomenal game but I always struggle to finish games this long. Zelda games are typically the longest games I routinely finish. But this game dwarfs any Zelda. My inability to stick with it has nothing to do with the game's quality and everything to do with my habits as a gamer. It's a 10/10 for me regardless of the ending.

Overside

Banned
Lol... you and me both man. You and me both.

I'm just going to finish off the last 2-5 hours and be done with it.

It's a phenomenal game but I always struggle to finish games this long. Zelda games are typically the longest games I routinely finish. But this game dwarfs any Zelda. My inability to stick with it has nothing to do with the game's quality and everything to do with my habits as a gamer. It's a 10/10 for me regardless of the ending.

Heh, now I want to read your reaction to the endgame.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'll have it in roughly 36 hours! Plates too!

Big tip to newcomers: don't stick with Shulk the whole game. There's a certain boss - everyone knows who I mean - who will kick your ass if you haven't learned how to use magic characters. I'm going to use as little Shulk as possible.

Can confirm, multiple save slots. 3 in total.

Fantastic thank you.

SkyOdin

Big tip to newcomers: don't stick with Shulk the whole game. There's a certain boss - everyone knows who I mean - who will kick your ass if you haven't learned how to use magic characters. I'm going to use as little Shulk as possible.

I'll second that suggestion. It is easy for someone to get lulled into thinking that they have to directly control Shulk, since he is the main character and has some powerful unique skills, but that isn't the case at all. Shulk is probably the least interesting character to control directly. If you vary your team a lot and figure out which characters you enjoy controlling, you might get a lot more fun out of the game.

I'll follow up with a second suggestion for new players: don't get locked into thinking that you need a tank-healer-DPS team. Every combination of characters in the game can be viable if you know how to use them. Some of the teams that seem the most atypical at first can be the most effective and fun. There is a lot of room to be creative with team and character builds, so enjoy that part of the game.

Red Hood

Banned
Never played Xenoblade before, should I hunt for a second-hand Wii version (~ € 50. edit: better yet, it's like € 60/70. ) or get this full price? I do want the "full" experience from the console version, but the native resolutions kinda looks baddish, whereas I hope the 3DS version looks a bit smoother due to it being on a much smaller screen.

Zing

Banned
Based on watching video of the 3DS version, I would stick with the Wii game. I'm currently playing the Wii version again. Maybe I'm being deceived, but the textures look worse on the 3DS version. Also, I would not want to first experience the stunning grand vistas in this game on a small screen.

Other than a large amount of aliasing, the Wii version looks fine to me on a 50" screen.

Never played Xenoblade before, should I hunt for a second-hand Wii version (~ € 50. edit: better yet, it's like € 60/70. ) or get this full price? I do want the "full" experience from the console version, but the native resolutions kinda looks baddish, whereas I hope the 3DS version looks a bit smoother due to it being on a much smaller screen.

Performance wise they both seem to be the same. If you don't mind playing on a smaller screen you might as well save some money and go with the 3DS version.

Netto-kun

It's Reyn time. So far the 3D effect in the game is kind of meh.
7xKnbka.jpg

Overside

Banned

The games are identical content and asset wise, the portable port is the 'full' version.

If you are already complaining about the Wii versions res of 480X800, I don't think going for 3ds @240X800 (3d) or 240X400 (2d) is going to help.

If you have the normal new 3ds and it's 120ppi screen, it might be all right, if you have the new 3ds xl and it's 92ppi screen, and jaggie's bother you, you will be in jaggie hell.

The best native hardware running solution for res and ppi would be playing the Wii game on the gamepad.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I was tempted to pick this up, but changed my mind for the time being. I'm sucked into Bloodborne, and have a backlog on 3DS as is. I'll grab it down the road when I have time to play another super long game.

Rich!

I understand all these things guys. I'm just annoyed I can't play it without replacing my perfectly functional 3DS XL.

Your OG 3DS XL isn't powerful enough to run Xenoblade. If it wasn't for the upgraded specs of the N3DS, it wouldn't exist in a portable form today at all.

You're gonna have to deal with that fact.

ilium

Tempted to get this, looks pretty awesome! (Except for those Character animations, especially walking...)

So exploration is encouraged right? Is there crafting? How anime cringe cheesy is the story?

Zing

Banned
Exploration, yes.

Crafting, kind of. You can make gems. One thing I enjoy is the trading mechanic. Basically, instead of simply selling your loot and buying what you want at shops, you can trade your loot directly with named NPCs at face value.

The story is great (so far for me).

I'm still waiting for the JP eShop to update with the game :(
So pumped to return to the game soon, event though I have put more than 120 hours in my game on Wii (did a 100% run, or at least a 99.5% if you count quests you can't do if you choose one path or the other) and watched chuggaaconroy's playthrough recently.

I want to play Bloodborne but I promised myself to beat Xenoblade first. I reached (only mentioning the area I'm in)
Mechonis Field
. How far am I? My PS4 arrives tomorrow. D;

Saiyan-Rox

Just read the game requires a bigger than 8GB SD card in order to download....anyone know exactly how many blocks it'll take?

Also don't suppose anyone has seen the coverplate for sale in the UK anywhere? it's OOS everywhere but the nintendo store and it's with the console.

TheMoon

Just read the game requires a bigger than 8GB SD card in order to download....anyone know exactly how many blocks it'll take?

You misread. It requires a card bigger than the default 4GB. Not 8GB. It's 29,500 blocks aka 3.6GB (or 3.7GB depending on where you look). Officially, it won't fit on a 4GB card.

All of this will be answered in tomorrow's OT, btw.

Saiyan-Rox

You misread. It requires a card bigger than the default 4GB. Not 8GB. It's 29,500 blocks aka 3.6GB (or 3.7GB depending on where you look). Officially, it won't fit on a 4GB card.

All of this will be answered in tomorrow's OT, btw.

So it's a case of GAME being wrong again? not that it surprises me. such a lousy POS company http://www.game.co.uk/en/xenoblade-...erchname=3ds-_-banner-_-XenobladeChronicles3D

29,000 is good then looks like i'll be dipping into the digital version. I don't want to be giving GAME profit which they don't make on codes lol

TheMoon

So it's a case of GAME being wrong again? not that it surprises me. such a lousy POS company http://www.game.co.uk/en/xenoblade-...erchname=3ds-_-banner-_-XenobladeChronicles3D

29,000 is good then looks like i'll be dipping into the digital version. I don't want to be giving GAME profit which they don't make on codes lol

GAME isn't wrong. You just didn't read it right.

To download Xenoblade Chronicles 3D you will require an 8GB or larger microSD memory card.

"8GB or larger"

8GB

or (!!!!!)

larger.

Assault

Glad this port is getting good reviews, 'cus I've been wanting to play this game for years but was not prepared to pay over the odds for the Wii version.

Eurogamer

The majesty of Monolith Soft's original, and the surprising faithfulness in so much of Monster Games' port, makes Xenoblade Chronicles 3D a worthwhile effort, even if it's never going to be enough to persuade people to upgrade to the New 3DS that's required to play it. It's also a worthwhile reminder of the craft of Takahashi as we approach the release of Xenoblade Chronicles X, the follow-up optimistically pencilled in for western release later this year. Ultimately, it's also a reminder that just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should: this is still a better RPG than most, but it's certainly not the recommended way to enjoy Monolith Soft's epic.

So usgamer posted their final verdict on the game and it looks like they weren't too impressed, especially Jeremy Parish.

Xenoblade Chronicles is an above-average RPG hamstrung by a really bad port. From the muddy visuals to the barebones interface, it's hardly a visual showcase for the New 3DS. It has merit, and its best qualities still manage to shine through on the small screen, but it's definitely not the optimal way to enjoy one of the more celebrated RPGs of the last generation.

3/5

It's kinda weird to find two JRPG experts (and people whos opinions I respect a lot too) writing a single review and both feeling so lukewarm on such a beloved game. What are the chances?

TheMoon

So usgamer posted their final verdict on the game and it looks like they weren't too impressed, especially Jeremy Parish.

Xenoblade Chronicles is an above-average RPG hamstrung by a really bad port. From the muddy visuals to the barebones interface, it's hardly a visual showcase for the New 3DS. It has merit, and its best qualities still manage to shine through on the small screen, but it's definitely not the optimal way to enjoy one of the more celebrated RPGs of the last generation.

3/5

It's kinda weird to find two JRPG experts (and people whos opinions I respect a lot too) writing a single review and both feeling so lukewarm on such a beloved game. What are the chances?

I don't get it either, I read the whole thing earlier. Jeremy says it's probably more on him since he's just not compatible with what this game offers but when he talks about specifics it comes across like he's either not trying or not "getting" it or hasn't gotten far enough maybe. It's bizarre to me on a whole. Kat saying she started skipping cutscenes broke my heart a bit (while I do agree Riki's English VO is horrible). Out of anyone, I would've expected those two to appreciate and love the game for the masterpiece that it is so I'm just baffled.

how are the colors in this game? i just saw video of the wii version and i thought it looked incredible. the grass was so green!

it looks really washed out on all these off screen videos on 3ds tho. i own the wii version but haven't played it. are the colors really that bad? i was gonna pick this up today.

I don't get it either, I read the whole thing earlier. Jeremy says it's probably more on him since he's just not compatible with what this game offers but when he talks about specifics it comes across like he's either not trying or not "getting" it or hasn't gotten far enough maybe. It's bizarre to me on a whole. Kat saying she started skipping cutscenes broke my heart a bit (while I do agree Riki's English VO is horrible). Out of anyone, I would've expected those two to appreciate and love the game for the masterpiece that it is so I'm just baffled.

Well at least they didn't rush the review for release. They gave the game a chance. I do wonder if playing the game now, after years of some very vocal people heaping praise on the game and the big drama with the Project Rainfall and everything, might have made them a bit more critical towards the game. In 2015, Xenoblade is a critical darling and no overlooked gem.

That or people like different things I guess.

Top Bottom