• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: reviews thread

Mega spoilers (obviously):

I'm inside the bionis about to enter the chamber to fight the Telethia that is merged with Melia's brother and Lorithia. The mechonis has been destroyed, Egil's dead. And Shulk is alive for some mysterious reason.

I have not been able to beat that boss battle, and put down the game for about 3 months now.

How far am I? I think I'm close to the end give the amount of shit going down.

you're really near the end of the game IIRC.

Peltz

Hmmm... looks like I should just look up how to beat that boss. Although I'm sure I'm extremely rusty on the battle system at this point. There was a lot of nuance to it that I doubt I remember.

jrqywkql.jpg

Pretty much the same as before D:

Disappointing.

Lehow

Mega spoilers (obviously):

I'm inside the bionis about to enter the chamber to fight the Telethia that is merged with Melia's brother and Lorithia. The mechonis has been destroyed, Egil's dead. And Shulk is alive for some mysterious reason.

I have not been able to beat that boss battle, and put down the game for about 3 months now.

How far am I? I think I'm close to the end give the amount of shit going down.

After that boss, there is a final dungeon and then the final boss. Should take around 2 hours to finish, if you don't rush the dungeon. If you rush(avoiding battles and sidquests) can be completed in less than an hour.
EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm not counting the time wasted in the final boss. Depending in your level might be hard(However, in my opinion the Telethia-Lorithia boss is harder than the final. The final one is just time consuming

Overside

Banned
Great! This was one of my main concerns. Is it smooth on both cities and open plains?

Like the wii version there seems to be little to no slow down during world traversal regaurdless of where you go or look.

But large battles, with lots of enemies, lots of fancy ether transparency/lighting effects, and mostly from certain ethe effectsr heavy party characters pairing together is what seems to do the trick. Makes getting perfect b button presses a crapshoot (Though its still perfectly easy to get the 'good' result)

Which is nothing the wii version didnt have itself.

Peltz

After that boss, there is a final dungeon and then the final boss. Should take around 2 hours to finish, if you don't rush the dungeon. If you rush(avoiding battles and sidquests) can be completed in less than an hour.
EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm not counting the time wasted in the final boss. Depending in your level might be hard(However, in my opinion the Telethia-Lorithia boss is harder than the final. The final one is just time consuming

Lmao... Didn't realize just how close I am. Alright. I'll suck it up and finish it this weekend.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
use Melia and Riki

lol that's not very helpful. You have to have a pretty specific setup with the right skills leveled to make them useful. I feel like success in this game's combat is all about setup and preparation. The execution is usually pretty much the same, but you have to have things setup "the right way".

Like most JRPGs, thats how it tends to go. The strategy is in the preparation, not so much the execution.

nothing bad about weird japan stuff, but it just seems so damn generic. and the english voice acting is good? I was a bit bummed that they didn't include the japanese dub due to cartridge restrictions :/

Xenoblade has one of my favorite dubs in gaming. Everybody is so well casted and talented, which is good since Xenoblade has a lot of emotional scenes. I pre-ordered the JP version of 3D and I'm actually kind of bummed out that I won't be able to hear the english cast in it.

Corgi

Banned
what would I pay to be able to remap skill switching controls to ZL ZR instead of the dpad...

who needs those camera controls in battle anyways

jorgejjvr

what would I pay to be able to remap skill switching controls to ZL ZR instead of the dpad...

who needs those camera controls in battle anyways

I was hoping there would be an option where you can use the c stick for the skills while on combat, and then it goes back to camera control while you are roaming the world. C stick for skills during combat, camera control while roaming

would have been perfect

remapping zl and zr works too, what do those button do in the game?

ok sounds good!
one more thing: is the exploration worthwhile and fulfilling in this game? I had the problem with Dragon Age Inquisition that exploring the yet beautiful areas was pointless because the loot or quests I got was bad or boring.

Exploring will allow you to find hidden areas with items and unique monsters that drop certain items like weapons or skill books for upgrading skills. You'll also get experience points for each checkpoint or new area you discover in sections on the map. In my opinion, exploring is worth it, but I believe some of the items, weapons, and skill books are random drops. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about the random drops. :p

TheMoon

I was hoping there would be an option where you can use the c stick for the skills while on combat, and then it goes back to camera control while you are roaming the world. C stick for skills during combat, camera control while roaming

would have been perfect

remapping zl and zr works too, what do those button do in the game?

Just a reminder, ZR was mapped to battle commands during combat.

Overside

Banned
lol that's not very helpful. You have to have a pretty specific setup with the right skills leveled to make them useful. I feel like success in this game's combat is all about setup and preparation. The execution is usually pretty much the same, but you have to have things setup "the right way".

Like most JRPGs, thats how it tends to go. The strategy is in the preparation, not so much the execution.

Xenoblades pretty demanding on both really. Particularly if you want to take on enemies higher than your level.

For helping the quote originator out on his boss battle though, I dont think its either.

Assuming its the fight right before the end game section that a lot of people have trouble with, his solution is likely more holding zr and pressing down on the d pad.

'Please get out of the horrible flesh melting ether acid before you die guys, thanks'

TheMoon

Just a heads up, seeing as copies are making their way out there now and it looks like my copy will arrive tomorrow, too, I'll post the OT tomorrow afternoon.

Grief.exe

I'm near the VERY end of Xenoblade on Wii but I haven't beaten yet, nor have I even booted up the game in months. I think I'm going to double dip when this comes out in NA and restart from scratch. It's a shame that my 90 hour file will remain incomplete for the time being.

I simply can't find time to sink into this game and it being on a portable will do wonders.

I'm skeptical this strategy will work.

jorgejjvr

IIRC, they switch which enemy you're targeting.

Unless that's L and R, and I'm getting those mixed up. In which case they're used to give your teammates orders and zoom the camera in/out.

Just a reminder, ZR was mapped to battle commands during combat.

I guess we will have to stop and use the dpad to use arts :( unless there is some other option, first time I've had a problem with the dpad being right under the circle pad

i liked being able to move around WHILE moving through the arts and using them all at the same time with the wii mote + nunchuck

TheMoon

Isn't that a bit soon though? Especially since US doesn't even get it till next Friday.

That'd be about 24h before it officially releases in Australia. What does the US date have to do with anything? Plus, copies are out there. No reason to not post it.

Rich!

Isn't that a bit soon though? Especially since US doesn't even get it till next Friday.

Comes out in Europe on Thursday. Australia and NZ too, which means its technically out on Wednesday. Also bear in mind many retailers online in EU and UK ship early, and we have a bank holiday this Friday too.

My paypal has been charged for my copy today and is being dispatched tomorrow. Will have it Wednesday as will many others in EU and the UK. And Australia.

We need an OT. We aren't waiting until the USA release on the 10th when the rest of the world has the game already! Sorry.

I guess we will have to stop and use the dpad to use arts :( unless there is some other option, first time I've had a problem with the dpad being right under the circle pad

i liked being able to move around WHILE moving through the arts and using them all at the same time with the wii mote + nunchuck
It's really not as big of a deal as you make it out to be. Played through the whole game with the Classic Controller Pro and this very rarely ever bothered me. All you need to do is make sure the Arts you're often using consecutively are placed right next to each other - which you can do easily since you can place whatever Art you want anywhere you want (barring the center, which is always the Talent Art). You can then switch focus onto the next Art in line while your character is still doing the animation for the Art you just executed.

jorgejjvr

It's really not as big of a deal as you make it out to be. Played through the whole game with the Classic Controller Pro and this very rarely ever bothered me. All you need to do is make sure the Arts you're often using consecutively are placed right next to each other - which you can do easily since you can place whatever Art you want anywhere you want (barring the center, which is always the Talent Art). You can then switch focus onto the next Art in line while your character is still doing the animation for the Art you just executed.

Great tips actually

Rich!

Playing with the pro controller was the best option anyway

Once you master switching between the left stick and d pad or even going into beast mode and just using your other fingers in a sprawled out fashion, its totally superior

I mean, camera control!

TheChaos

Haven't been paying attention very well but did they manage to include the Bionis' Shoulder in this one? Judging by the videos I've seen it looked pretty much finished before they decided to cut it out.

Rich!

Haven't been paying attention very well but did they manage to include the Bionis' Shoulder in this one? Judging by the videos I've seen it looked pretty much finished before they decided to cut it out.

I very much doubt its included.

Can someone who has it post a pic of the back side of the card? Curious to see what it looks like compared to a non new-3ds exclusive card.

Rich!

Can someone who has it post a pic of the back side of the card? Curious to see what it looks like compared to a non new-3ds exclusive card.

I will post pics when I get mine on Wednesday. But others will beat me to it first of course.

I'm curious to see what the difference is...the cart slot on the N3DS is evidently different to the OG 3DS. You have a bit more leeway to put the cart in, and you have to push it through some sort of obstruction/gate. If that makes any sense.

So it could very well have an extra notch or something.

TheMoon

The game is 1:1 the same. There was never a chance they put this pack in because you'D have to have a reason to go there. Which means changing the story which means writing more story, designing more quests, new enemies, adding more VO, new localization efforts. This is a port.

MoxManiac

Thinking of picking this up even though I have the wii version, since I feel the only way i'll actually get around to playing it is in portable form. Is the graphics really that much of a downgrade?

Top Bottom