• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I just did the normal mission concerning lara nara, I cant get over how simple missions can turn into this big thing, a whole entire new alien was just introduced because I took that mission.

Rockk

Is there a consensus on the best probe layout, pics preferable. Just got the
flight module
so I figured it was time. I stopped bothering since I would have to redo them for the endgame anyways.

EulaCapra

Thanks.

Also, once you first "Discover" a hexagon area, does the Fast Travel instantly pop up if it's available?

I'm in the upper left corners of Primordia and see no Fast Travel at all for a bunch of hexagons. There's an orange mining area at the tip which is currently inaccessible for me.

Golnei

So a quick question regarding chapter 11.
I understand why boot camp is a required mission snice it deals with Irina's brother which is something thatgets referred to at the ending discussion with Vanhelm but what was the significance of Nine Lives to it? It's been awhile since I completed that one so I might be forgetting something.

Also if you have Irina in your party does she just awkward stand in silence at the end when they talk about her?

I think Nine Lives is just required because it's a prerequisite for Boot Camp - also,
isn't Irina a restricted member for the latter?

Looking at how they made his affinity missions mandatory, I really can't get over what a missed opportunity it was to not kill off Gwin.

botty

Banned
I have been lurking this thread and everyone says that once they get a Skell the game really begins... a thousand hours later, and now that I have my first Skell I kind of am bored with the game. The game is extremely MMO in nature, which I know appeals to a lot of people, so I guess I should probably just stop here if the main draw isn't doing it for me.

This does raise a question I have, can the story be completed without a Skell?

Ulysses 31

Potential is essential for art damages, try to maintain it around 200++ when you mix matching your augs.
Bullet twister will give you TP per hit when you have an aura and raijin will increase the overdrive time when activated, enough to make you stay in overdrive.

Interesting, thanks.

Which Skill did you drop for the Mastermind class? I assume it's the thermal damage boost?

Cant get past chapter 10 boss, i need help.

Since you don't have a Verus, I'm going to take a leap and assume your party is lacking in G-busters. I forget how much the level 30 versions cost, but I would advise purchasing some for your whole party if you can afford it. Gravity is that boss's greatest weakness, followed by beam.

edit: In the long term, saving up for a level 50 skell would definitely be nice for the final chapters, but I definitely would invest in a few g-busters since there are a limited amount of gravity weapons, and bosses are weak to gravity throughout the final chapters (I also did chapter 12 with only level 30 skells, it's probably more important to get your ground game strong at that point). I think you can farm level 30 g-busters at the entrance to sylvalum too.

The twist is, as good as gravity is for the later story chapters, after you beat the story you'll probably start focusing on any element except gravity.

They will respawn unless they are quest special spawns. You cannot wipe all life from the surface of Mira.

stephen-lang-banner-avatar-2-3-4_zps139943c1.jpeg

Damnit

El Odio

Banned
I think Nine Lives is just required because it's a prerequisite for Boot Camp - also,
isn't Irina a restricted member for the latter?

Looking at how they made his affinity missions mandatory, I really can't get over what a missed opportunity it was to not kill off Gwin.
I figured that was a possibly for the requirement but I thought it'd be pretty redundant for the mission requirements to essentially list "do this mission and also do this mission which requires the previous mission.
In regards to Irina I'm pretty sure she's restricted for the boot camp affinity mission so my question was more in regards to when at the end of chapter 11 they're talking with Vanhelm. Elma mentions how Gwin claims she's borderline suicidal in her recklessness so given the game's decision to leave unrequired members silent it'd be super awkward to have them in your party, especially since they aren't restricted. Honestly it'd be weird to have either of them or Doug present given their actions in the hanger scene.

Honestly, Chapter 11 makes it painfully obvious what a poor choice that was.

I like Murderess
even if she's not the greatest person she still sticks to her code of ethics which is better than a lot of other people in the game.

I mean I guess, but its really grating. Like she started to
get catty at Eleonora
and I was about to throw her in front of some hungry Ciniculas.

H.B. "So, how would rate that?"
Murderess: "Not bad! But your personality could use a serious makeover."

Don't know what you're talking about lol

If anyone that should be on the receiving end of Murderess' venom, I nominate H.B. No matter how much he excels.

She's essentially the person Ayn Rand saw herself as. Still, I found her a little more endearing after her last affinity mission - even if I could have done without her
little 'power of friendship' speech

I did the first two, grinding for the last one. I thought the first one felt like it was unfinished.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
At first I thought getting hearts is hard, but then I realize how quick they are to fill up if you bring them in combat.

Golnei

I figured that was a possibly for the requirement but I thought it'd be pretty redundant for the mission requirements to essentially list "do this mission and also do this mission which requires the previous mission.
In regards to Irina I'm pretty sure she's restricted for the boot camp affinity mission so my question was more in regards to when at the end of chapter 11 they're talking with Vanhelm. Elma mentions how Gwin claims she's borderline suicidal in her recklessness so given the game's decision to leave unrequired members silent it'd be super awkward to have them in your party, especially since they aren't restricted. Honestly it'd be weird to have either of them or Doug present given their actions in the hanger scene.

Honestly, Chapter 11 makes it painfully obvious what a poor choice that was.

Since one doesn't show up until you've completed the other, it makes sense as a way to point you towards what you have to do next.

The way the party's handled does lead to a lot of awkward scenes, that's only one of the more egregious examples - having Nagi in the party in half of the affinity missions and sidequests brings up similar problems, especially in scenes with Vandham. Alternate dialogue would probably have been too much to ask for, but in scenes like the one at the end of chapter 11; it might have helped to
simply remove Irina from the cutscene if she's in the party.

I did the first two, grinding for the last one. I thought the first one felt like it was unfinished.

I guess you were supposed to feel unsatisfied by it, but they could have done a better job of making you more invested in pursuing further resolution. A lot of the affinity missions could have improved in that regard - though thankfully not all of them are as bad as Nagi's first.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So I'm ontop of this mountain that has a ring in it and I'm trying to find bobby's watch in this specific area they're saying, but I'm not seeing it and the red orbs are usually very easy to find, help?

hiryu64

Is there a consensus on the best probe layout, pics preferable. Just got the
flight module
so I figured it was time. I stopped bothering since I would have to redo them for the endgame anyways.

I don't know if there's a consensus on best layout, but this is the postgame layout I posted a few pages back:

Well, I finally got those three last booster probes I'd heard about. This is going to be my final probe layout. Very suitable for post-game, but if you've been diligent in probe collection throughout the story, you can get something close in late-game.

Primordia
lHF22Ji.jpg

Noctilum South
lEW7IW7.jpg

Noctilum North
ZkOeJUF.jpg

Oblivia
Q7TXQQL.jpg

Sylvalum
YZTbJV9.jpg

Cauldros
q4nEcqg.jpg

You'll notice that my numbers have dropped slightly from my last post. HOWEVER, one number you don't see has risen dramatically. Allow me to show you...
0X3DUSC.jpg

So yeah, those three boosters I got all went straight to Noctilum for extra storage. With a whopping 104550 miranium storage capacity, I've officially reached set-it-and-forget-it status. As you're setting up probes early on, the main things you'll want to keep in mind are as follows:

• Don't be afraid to experiment with various probe grades to see what works better and what doesn't. In the early- to late-game, it's wise to save before playing with your layouts.
  • Focus your chains on higher ranking sites. There are exceptions, however; with mining, sites with resources take precedence, and with revenue, sightseeing spots take precedence.
  • The duplicator in the east Oblivia junction point is where the majority of your overall revenue will come from. Find those sightseeing spots and buff the setup as best as possible.
  • Generally speaking, you want to prioritize sightseeing spots over revenue grade. An E-2 (rank E with two sightseeing spots) has better revenue potential than a B-0, for example. Probe grade plays heavily into this, however.
  • When placing mining probes, always prioritize sites with the rarest resources. These are Dawnstone in Primordia, Cimmerian Cinnabar in Noctilum, Ouroboros Crystal in Oblivia, Parhelion Platinum in Sylvalum, and Bonjelium in Cauldros. Higher grade probes will yield bigger hauls per cycle. You can always sell them for extra cash, and once they start auto-selling, they'll boost your effective revenue significantly.
  • Northern Noctilum has the best layout for storage probes. Focus your efforts there. Until you hit around 80k storage, you'll want to try to get your miranium income per cycle to always exceed your storage (unless you're prioritizing revenue).
I think that pretty much covers everything. Happy probing!

Only lay down enough mining probes to get slightly above your miranium capacity, then fill the rest of your empty spaces with research probes. And focus on Oblivia near the duplicator for maximum revenue potential. For what it's worth, I was routinely pulling in 150k to 200k in credits once I got the flight module, and the numbers just kept going up as I accumulated more probes.

I don't know if there's a consensus on best layout, but this is the postgame layout I posted a few pages back:

Only lay down enough mining probes to get slightly above your miranium capacity, then fill the rest of your empty spaces with research probes. And focus on Oblivia near the duplicator for maximum revenue potential. For what it's worth, I was routinely pulling in 150k to 200k in credits once I got the flight module, and the numbers just kept going up as I accumulated more probes.

Where are you guys finding all these probes?! I just beat chapter 10 and can only bring in 19k miranium and 39k in cash. They're placed well too it's just a matter of a lack of the tools needed.

I guess you were supposed to feel unsatisfied by it, but they could have done a better job of making you more invested in pursuing further resolution. A lot of the affinity missions could have improved in that regard - though thankfully not all of them are as bad as Nagi's first.

Yeah that one just felt utterly pointless. I was laughing at how short it was.

Interesting, thanks.

Which Skill did you drop for the Mastermind class? I assume it's the thermal damage boost?

The one which reduce the cooldown with ranged combo, but that because I already have secondary cooldown reducer in my armor. I'd drop thermal boost as another option since it didn't really give a big impact to overall damage at all.

Given what I've been tracking hopefully tonight or tomorrow the rp for telethia plume should be gone. When I logged in this morning it gave the half rp announcement.

Worst case it gets killed while I'm at work and I'll be a sad panda

hiryu64

Where are you guys finding all these probes?! I just beat chapter 10 and can only bring in 19k miranium and 39k in cash. They're placed well too it's just a matter of a lack of the tools needed.

The bulk of your research/mining probes will come from treasure sites in the field, so be sure you're working on your field skills/BLADE level. Some are obtained from quests, story missions, clearing the Collectopedia, etc. (primarily boosters, dupes, combat, and some storage probes). I used this GameFAQs thread to help, but it's not fully accurate.

finalflame

IS THERE ANY WAY TO AVOID
ZU PHARG
'S (chapter 10 spoiler) GODDAMN missiles and red ray of death!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! I had him down to ~15% on the second part of the fight and he just OBLITERATED my medium Lv.30 skell and then I got killed by adds. HOLY SHIT this fight is frustrating.

Edit: Nvm. I killed it. Turned out my squad was Cross (37), Elma (36), Lin (36) and Irina (30). And he was 39. No wonder that was so fucking hard. I finished it with Irina and Elma down and Lin and I at like 5% health and 2 adds on our asses. My fucking heart is palpitating. That's enough XCX for one night.

Jesus Christ, Rexoskell was so hard... and it didn't even give you the option to lower the difficulty like other missions.
But I don't care anymore, fuck you Definians, I got Mia now!

I finished all the missions I was able to find up to this point; I think tomorrow will finally be time to do chapter 12.

EDIT:
Oh and just to clear up a misconception, you do NOT need 80% of Cauldros if you already had 65% prior to starting the mission. I was over 65% but under 80% and it activated immediately. I remember another poster in the thread saying at first it wouldn't load for them but upon restarting it did, so it could just be a bug.

So I'm ontop of this mountain that has a ring in it and I'm trying to find bobby's watch in this specific area they're saying, but I'm not seeing it and the red orbs are usually very easy to find, help?
It's actually underground in a cave called the Devil's Colony, its entrance is a hexagon south of where you are I think.

Malus

I have been lurking this thread and everyone says that once they get a Skell the game really begins...a thousand hours later, and now that I have my first Skell I kind of am bored with the game. The game is extremely MMO in nature, which I know appeals to a lot of people, so I guess I should probably just stop here if the main draw isn't doing it for me.

This does raise a question I have, can the story be completed without a Skell?

Well I'd disagree with that. A lot of the best moments in the game are totally independent of skells.

Though it was really great flying up to
Divine Roost
for the first time.

EDIT:
Oh and just to clear up a misconception, you do NOT need 80% of Cauldros if you already had 65% prior to starting the mission. I was over 65% but under 80% and it activated immediately. I remember another poster in the thread saying at first it wouldn't load for them but upon restarting it did, so it could just be a bug.

Yeah it didn't start for me despite having 65%. Getting to 80% was a piece of cake though. It was the first time I actually grinded for completion percentage. and it's just a matter of looking at the check marks on the map and tracking down some treasure/tyrants. Having Ares 90 probably helped streamline things too when it came to beating tyrants. The Iron Deity fight was still intense as hell though.

IS THERE ANY WAY TO AVOID
ZU PHARG
'S (chapter 10 spoiler) GODDAMN missiles and red ray of death!?!?!?!?!?!?!??! I had him down to ~15% on the second part of the fight and he just OBLITERATED my medium Lv.30 skell and then I got killed by adds. HOLY SHIT this fight is frustrating.

Attack the thing on top to prevent the laser, I think the face is what needs to be broken or the pipe on it's back. The rockets are coming from the hole in front of it but it takes a lot of damage to break and is hardly worth the hassle IMO. Focus on the thing up top first and just watch the adds. It can be kinda easy to miss the spawn and then before you know it you have 4 guys on you plus the boss.

-Horizon-

Just finished Nagi's second affinity mission? Its the one where you go
rescue some people in sylvalum

He's too cool man, anime when?

Also got Celica playable finally.

Zareka

Chapter 12 available to start in front of me. My party is all 44 minus 4th slot Yelv who's 40. He doesn't have a Skell. Am I gonna have a bad time?

Pokemaniac

Chapter 12 available to start in front of me. My party is all 44 minus 4th slot Yelv who's 40. He doesn't have a Skell. Am I gonna have a bad time?

I personally recommend having at least one level 50 skell, but that's just my experience. It depends at how effective you are at combat.

Finally beat the game with almost 100 hours exactly on the clock when I finally got the chance to check again. Struggled on
Lao
for a bit but, eventually got him.
Did Irina's 4 Heart Affinity Mission immediately afterwards and it was pretty weird. No idea why it required Irina aside from the shouting.

I can't imagine trying to grind out affinity through combat (lookin at you xenoblade wii). Takes forever. Might as well just wait until postgame.

You can't wait until postgame for Lao!

also, grinding through combat was totally easy in the first game, you remember Stormy Belagon? :p

Malus

You can't wait until postgame for Lao!

also, grinding through combat was totally easy in the first game, you remember Stormy Belagon? :p

Maybe I wasn't employing the right strategies :eek:

If it's just him you shouldn't have a problem maxing him out with quests.

When buying my first level 30 skell, is it dumb to assume that more expensive equals better?

Sorta but you should always check their stats and see which one fits with your play style. My first 30 was an Inferno. It was a good all around but then I wished I opted for the Amdusias since I kept running out of fuel quickly.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hm, I completed Line of Fire, but I don't see Alex's Last Stand. I haven't seen anything about it being locked behind a chapter... anyone know anything about this?

Hm, I completed Line of Fire, but I don't see Alex's Last Stand. I haven't seen anything about it being locked behind a chapter... anyone know anything about this?

That's because each quest in that chain opens up after finishing a chapter starting from chapter 7, so you need to have finished chapter 10 to unlock it :p

Mmm this last 6% is going to be a massive grind.

Have to repeat this dumb support mission for affinity over and over to max out Mia, Phog, Alexa, Frye and Yelv, then grind for the ridiculous amounts of stuff you need for augments to take out the strong tyrants.

I'm almost wanting to just call it quits at 94% :p

Top Bottom