• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Oh boy not many hours to go until the a global nemesis leaves and you'll have to do squad tasks to get reward tickets rather than rip of appendages. Unless it will be like the telethia and respawn for no reason.

This is how I got mine. It's 100500 storage
tumblr_nzuiw4iiPu1svt5z8o1_1280.jpg
Are you serious? I can get 105000 using two less duplicators but using two G2 booster instead of G1 and G2. Layout as so:
WVW69irgebAuyOEplT

It makes me sad how many people use that crappy 4 duplicator layout instead because internet told them it was good.

what people did not say is they use lots of INSECTOID XX augments to face that dude
I killed him once but it was luck of the RNG with cockpit triggering at the right time

now I think at my level I could kill all of them with one hit
Even with those I couldn't KO Joker with one phoenix, I had to finish it with a scythe.

How are the crowns determined anyway? It can't be outright kills because then the intro tyrant should be crowned, so I was thinking it might be a deaths to kills ratio,
Technically the online social functions are not working when you fight the intro tyrant so maybe that is why it has no crown.

Oie! I wanted to get some revenge on that big floating ass cave near FN 410
called Luxaar's Xern level 90 tyrant had him down to 40% health then he tips to his side after Lin called for a topple so I though You go LINLEEE!
Fucking thing charged up a super weapon and 1 shot my A90

bummer
Since this seems relevant the Xern seem to drop heavy Skell armour from their appendages (of which they have many) though like you say
they can make short work of even an ares 90

R.D.Blax

Aww yes, new thread !

Anyway, I finally managed to make my level 60 Inferno, and I want to give it the Antimatter super weapon, but I just realized I don't the level 60 unlocked yet, anybody know I can find the file to unlock it ?

Got this from my wife yesterday for Christmas and I'm now playing it for the first time. Despite seeing countless videos (including Nitendo's Survival Guide series) I am still completely blown away by the scope and scale of this game. Feels like stepping into the most massive PS2-era RPG of all time (and I mean that as a compliment).

Game needs to stop giving me mining probes. I am swimming in mining probes. I need storage probes! And more research probes. I haven't bothered optimizing any probe operations because I have no freaking storage and my research probes are all different levels!

Started playing last night. After three hours in, I dig it quite a bit.

Haven't read the manual yet (playing on the gamepad- off TV play) but I think I kinda follow what's going on so far. Text is too tiny on the pad, but I'm surviving

My wife got me this for Christmas and after playing it for 2 hours I feel like I have no idea what's going on. I dont usually play rpg's but this looks amazing so far. Just need to figure things out.

Lexxism

If you've got a decent AOE weapon on your skell just go farm Joker. He's got like 50-60 dudes around him which are easy to kill. If you don't want to do that then wai until night time, go to West NLA gate, and there should be 3-4 level 60 things, and they go down fast with a few g busters.

most people would do Joker

I did the mech base in Oblivia south of FN 305
they spawn at level 58-60 and easy to kill with 2 hits
just kill them one at a time try not to take a whole mob of probes while doing that
and avoid the level 68 tyrant near the area
Thank you.

Are you serious? I can get 105000 using two less duplicators but using two G2 booster instead of G1 and G2. Layout as so:
WVW69irgebAuyOEplT

It makes me sad how many people use that crappy 4 duplicator layout instead because internet told them it was good.
Yeah, but it's not like I have an option with my current situation. That's all I have since I can't find the 2nd booster. I was planning to do what you told me but I just went to this one because Duplicator was more easy to find than boostEr. But hey I didn't say mine was good. This is just pretty much my option.

Revven

Just picked this up with Christmas money, currently downloading the data packs and I cannot wait to start playing sometime later day. :D

Griss

If there's one game design element in this game that I unconditionally hate, it's the forced respawn timer.

I'm up to 12 times now where my team were about to deliver the final blow against the enemy only for time to run out. It's astonishing how this happens again and again - they get them right down to the end, only for the timer to run out. What is the point of having a team if they're not allowed come through in the clutch for you? Why make you watch 30 seconds of the action rather than just respawning you? The fact that I've started counting how often this happens shows that it's way too often. I really should just auto-respawn, but every time I think 'This is the time they bail me out.' And it never is, because there's always 1-3 seconds too little time.

That's the one thing that's frustrating me atm.

I'm having a lot of trouble with Definian Downfall

I see the orange crystal which I know I should get but my party members do no climb the rock to join me up there leaving me to face 3 prones at high levels

this being done post end game I am sure they added extra ass caves in here like that stupid level 80 tyrant I'm on foot dammit!

edit: wooohoo finally metal geared that shit

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm having a lot of trouble with Definian Downfall

I see the orange crystal which I know I should get but my party members do no climb the rock to join me up there leaving me to face 3 prones at high levels

this being done post end game I am sure they added extra ass caves in here like that stupid level 80 tyrant I'm on foot dammit!
Should be a piece of cake since you've been working on ether longsword...

TheMoon

Dunno if these help, since you might know a lot of these. Most for combat basics:

- Don't spam arts. Take advantage of double recast for twice the power/effect.

- Take advantage of the boosted effect of some arts. For example, if an art boosts damage when used at the side of the target, then go to the side first then use it. Not only it will grant bigger damage and additional effects like TP gain or debuffs, it will also trigger soul challenge more often.

- When soul challenge (B prompts) appear, time it properly as it will provide healing for the entire party. Plus if one of your teammate responds to your call, you and him/her will also get additional healing (plus some special effects like buffs and TP). It also boosts party morale, which can increase up to 3 bars (1 perfect/good soul challenge = 1 bar in morale). Morale boost makes soul challenge and soul voices appear more often, granting you more chances of healing and getting bonus effects especially when the battle gets lengthy.

- Reserve your TP. Use only when necessary or going for the kill. You might have dangerous encounters where you need TP for aura or for reviving allies. And of course you will need them later on for Overdrive after Chapter 5.

- Check your arts palette in the menu to mix and match your arts depending on your playstyle. Balanced ones usually put a good assortment of melee, ranged, buffs/heal, aura and debuffs/ether. Melee-centric puts a lot of melee arts plus aura and buffs to improve melee attacks/damage. Same for range-centric except more range arts than melee.

- Of course don't forget to level up your arts in the menu. Press X to level it up (consumes BP).

- Master first one Class branch before jumping to different class branches. For example, if you go first for longswords and assault rifles, then master that class branch all the way to Duelist. This enables you to use long swords and assault rifles in other classes when you are unfamiliar with other weapons forced to you on another class branch, plus use the associated arts for the type of weapon you use while you are still mastering other classes for new arts.

- Of course, don't forget to attach skills. Those are freebie buffs. And you can also level them up by pressing X.

- Use augments to your equipment for additional buffs. Press X to the equipment with a free slot to attach an augment.

- You can also play around with the arts palette and skills of your party members.

- Play around with the soul voice options in the menu too. This helps in having your teammates respond to your soul voices more often. For example, if you have a melee-centric party member, change your soul voice to command more melee arts. Of course it also works the opposite way, only that your party members cannot change the soul voice options, so it's the main character who have to adjust the arts palette.

- Press the R stick to lock-on to the target and its appendage. Would save you trouble later on when you go for certain item drops since you got to destroy certain body parts to let certain items be dropped after battle.

- Hold R button then press a direction on the d-pad to command your party members to do certain things. This helps your team be organized, especially in situations where things become chaotic. You can also press (+) then choose a command from the list.

- You can also jump and dash while in battle. This helps especially when chasing opponents when they go out of attack range or when you want to escape.

I put a link to this post under "general newbie tips" into the OP, btw.

Malus

If there's one game design element in this game that I unconditionally hate, it's the forced respawn timer.

I'm up to 12 times now where my team were about to deliver the final blow against the enemy only for time to run out. It's astonishing how this happens again and again - they get them right down to the end, only for the timer to run out. What is the point of having a team if they're not allowed come through in the clutch for you? Why make you watch 30 seconds of the action rather than just respawning you? The fact that I've started counting how often this happens shows that it's way too often. I really should just auto-respawn, but every time I think 'This is the time they bail me out.' And it never is, because there's always 1-3 seconds too little time.

I only ever thought of this as a positive lol. My team has saved my ass a couple times, whereas in the first game if you died without enough party gauge to be revived, you automatically respawn. At least there's a chance now.

Dunno if these help, since you might know a lot of these. Most for combat basics:

- Don't spam arts. Take advantage of double recast for twice the power/effect.

- Take advantage of the boosted effect of some arts. For example, if an art boosts damage when used at the side of the target, then go to the side first then use it. Not only it will grant bigger damage and additional effects like TP gain or debuffs, it will also trigger soul challenge more often.

- When soul challenge (B prompts) appear, time it properly as it will provide healing for the entire party. Plus if one of your teammate responds to your call, you and him/her will also get additional healing (plus some special effects like buffs and TP). It also boosts party morale, which can increase up to 3 bars (1 perfect/good soul challenge = 1 bar in morale). Morale boost makes soul challenge and soul voices appear more often, granting you more chances of healing and getting bonus effects especially when the battle gets lengthy.

- Reserve your TP. Use only when necessary or going for the kill. You might have dangerous encounters where you need TP for aura or for reviving allies. And of course you will need them later on for Overdrive after Chapter 5.

- Check your arts palette in the menu to mix and match your arts depending on your playstyle. Balanced ones usually put a good assortment of melee, ranged, buffs/heal, aura and debuffs/ether. Melee-centric puts a lot of melee arts plus aura and buffs to improve melee attacks/damage. Same for range-centric except more range arts than melee.

- Of course don't forget to level up your arts in the menu. Press X to level it up (consumes BP).

- Master first one Class branch before jumping to different class branches. For example, if you go first for longswords and assault rifles, then master that class branch all the way to Duelist. This enables you to use long swords and assault rifles in other classes when you are unfamiliar with other weapons forced to you on another class branch, plus use the associated arts for the type of weapon you use while you are still mastering other classes for new arts.

- Of course, don't forget to attach skills. Those are freebie buffs. And you can also level them up by pressing X.

- Use augments to your equipment for additional buffs. Press X to the equipment with a free slot to attach an augment.

- You can also play around with the arts palette and skills of your party members.

- Play around with the soul voice options in the menu too. This helps in having your teammates respond to your soul voices more often. For example, if you have a melee-centric party member, change your soul voice to command more melee arts. Of course it also works the opposite way, only that your party members cannot change the soul voice options, so it's the main character who have to adjust the arts palette.

- Press the R stick to lock-on to the target and its appendage. Would save you trouble later on when you go for certain item drops since you got to destroy certain body parts to let certain items be dropped after battle.

- Hold R button then press a direction on the d-pad to command your party members to do certain things. This helps your team be organized, especially in situations where things become chaotic. You can also press (+) then choose a command from the list.

- You can also jump and dash while in battle. This helps especially when chasing opponents when they go out of attack range or when you want to escape.

Thank you.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I find that rather obnoxious too. Same as RPGs that go Game Over as soon as the MC is down, even though here's at least a chance of recovery.

Jims

Switching to Galactic Knight from the sniper class is a really bad idea when doing Chapter 9. :(

Right when I started that battle, I thought, "I have no idea what I'm doing in this class." Better go learn that ground game for awhile.

I haven't gotten that AM yet, but is that the set with the golden battle thong? Generally, I hate all the armour options that enter generic MMO territory (Reyn's heavy sets and Sharla's costumes were pretty bad about that in the first game as well) - thankfully, some of the starter AMs generally avoid that look, but it's still hard to find anything from the alien AMs which look decent, apart from a few. I've ended up sticking with combinations of early armour and casual clothes for most characters, and for Elma, I couldn't bring myself to change her outfit at all. Maybe I'll use the black palette swap of her default once I get it.

Regardless, it's still a significant improvement on the first game.

Nah, its not that one. It has really cool leg armor and everything is covered minus the little part in the back exposing the booty and a metal thong. They just had to make that booty pop out. The top has the claws and feathers on the shoulders with the middle area exposed. Ridiculous but hilarious in a way.

The light armor for most arent that great but the heavy armor is pretty decent. The orpheons have some cool heavy armor.

I like the black version of Elma's default. For a while I put her in a black tank and the black bottoms of the default. It looked pretty hot and badass in a non ridiculous way.

Something strange happend to me after playing the game for a while now. I installed the data packs and everything was fine but for a few days now it seems that the textures need a lot longer to load and the pop ups are much worse. :/ Somebody who noticed something similar? Should I delete the data packs and install them again?

Btw I installed the data packs on the Wii U itself and not my external hard drive.

Something like this happened to me after I backed up my Save game to a USB, and then took the USB drive out with the Wii U powered off. I'm reinstalling teh data packs atm (getting 2 megs/sec from the shop), I'l respond later tonight if they fix anything.

Load times are total BS w/o the data packs installed though. I think it took like 60 seconds to load up the barrack.

I only ever thought of this as a positive lol. My team has saved my ass a couple times, whereas in the first game if you died without enough party gauge to be revived, you automatically respawn. At least there's a chance now.

If you want someone to be a 'rez bitch', take out all TP using arts out of their palette, and give them a ton of MAX tp mods. You'll get chain rez'd then.

I think I accidentally gave Lao no TP arts early in the game, and he was reliably res'ing the party.

Xenoboy

God dammit, so now I have Skell that's DoA. Eh, I'll keep it, just for the time being. I don't want to solo enemies in these quests...

Wiseblade

OK the body count racked up in normal and affinity missions is ridiculous. I can't remember the last time I did a mission which didn't involve multiple NPCs kicking the bucket. And I KNOW they're not all my fault.

I make my lvl 60 archetype thinking I won't get anything better anytime soon. Then today someone puts up an insane lvl 60 rifle on treasure deal. I end up getting it and it steamrolls the archetype.

Even with those I couldn't KO Joker with one phoenix, I had to finish it with a scythe.

lol you need more than just Insectoid if you're planning to kill with 1 phoenix. Insectoid only = kill with at least 2-3 arts (phoenix+g-buster should be enough if you stacked really a lot/enough base attack)

R.D.Blax

Poor Yggralith Zero, I just did 2 squad mission where we were overdriving him to death without him being able to do anything lol. I bet he regret coming to Mira with all these time where he is being massacred

Mandelbo

Just started out yesterday, this is my character right now:

Currently I'm a Striker - it's going well so far! Initially I didn't like the battle system too much because the game tells you jack shit about how it actually works, but I'm really enjoying it now that I've read the manual and some of the tutorials here. I've just finished chapter 3, so now all the social features are up and I can do side quests and such. Is there a way to stop "squad member achievements" from appearing in the top left? I joined the lifehold squad and it's a little irritating having notifications about other people's characters popping up.

Poyunch

So I finally got the Skell yesterday and I feel like such a cheater going to places I'm definitely not "supposed" to be at.

I mean if you can do it go for it but the game just feels like easy street now in terms of traversal.

Aomber

Got this game for Christmas. I really enjoyed the first Xenoblade but I've played 2 hours so far of XCX and... I'm not feeling it yet. The world is really beautiful but the pacing is throwing me off, did anyone else feel like the game just had a slow start?

Also my biggest criticism of the game so far is the voiceless main character. So far I just don't care about what's going on in the story because I feel disattached when my character doesn't seem to be very interactive. I know there are plenty of other RPGs that do this but because of the way it's presented there's a disconnect for me.

Golnei

Doing Mia Heart 2 Hearts
My cat is a mimiosome D:

They make that clear as soon as you can get one; Matthias specifies
the pets you get from rescue missions are just mimeosomes of the real ones. I wonder if they're actual AI, or just being controlled by the subconscious of the original, like the humans; with the caveat of them both being conscious at the same time. Maybe it works differently for animals.

Just talk to her in the industrial disctrict after she moves to NLA.

...you don't have to do New in New LA? My life is a lie.

Nah, its not that one. It has really cool leg armor and everything is covered minus the little part in the back exposing the booty and a metal thong. They just had to make that booty pop out. The top has the claws and feathers on the shoulders with the middle area exposed. Ridiculous but hilarious in a way.

The light armor for most arent that great but the heavy armor is pretty decent. The orpheons have some cool heavy armor.

I like the black version of Elma's default. For a while I put her in a black tank and the black bottoms of the default. It looked pretty hot and badass in a non ridiculous way.

There's some good heavy sets, but it is a shame most are hamstrung by certain design concerns - even when they're not turning the female armour into sexy Halloween costumes based on the male one, some are just kind of ugly (but that's obviously entirely subjective) - combining the two, the options do narrow. I do really like some of the Wrothian armour (Ga Jiarg's set in particular) and the (Orphean?) arm set that looks like it was ripped off the Light Suit, though.

And I ended up doing the same as you in regards to some of the characters - the casual clothes help so much; especially compared to the options in the first game. That one set of leather pants fits Murderess so well.

Probably a dumb question, but is there no UI indicator for when you acquire division points? Whenever I complete a division task, I see an Experience Points update. Is that the same thing?

Anyway, I'm going to read up on a lot of the great links TheMoon put up, because I still feel lost on a lot of things. Having fun though!

Top Bottom