• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT2| Welcome to New L+A a.k.a. Read the Frakkin' Manual!

Golnei

Probably a dumb question, but is there no UI indicator for when you acquire division points? Whenever I complete a division task, I see an Experience Points update, is that the same thing?

When you get them, they're displayed on the enlarged division icon underneath the minimap and above the Skell Fuel gauge; at the end of the row of the smaller division icons.

Frodo

I must confess, I made a team with Phog, H.B. and Gwin (need to raise his affinity) and they are all wearing swimsuit sets.

The females members of my party are always dressed accordingly when I use them, though. Feels good to reverse the tables for once. Thanks for adding the option to change Fashion gear.

What's the easiest way to increase survey percentage for a region? I want to make sure I can do Cauldros quickly enough so I can get Mia.

Just finding items/killing the tyrants for each hex?

When you get them, they're displayed on the enlarged division icon underneath the minimap and above the Skell Fuel gauge; at the end of the row of the smaller division icons.
So that's what that is, thanks! And the row of smaller division icons will indicate which division effect you are currently receiving, right?

Frodo

What's the easiest way to increase survey percentage for a region? I want to make sure I can do Cauldros quickly enough so I can get Mia.

Just finding items/killing the tyrants for each hex?

Installing probes would be high on my priority list. But if you are asking what should we do on top of that, yes, that would be it.

Xenoboy

Got introduces to yet another Alien race through a side-quest. Well, at least they're doing something of worth. I like them though.
It's the Orphions

TheFatMan

I finally got my Skell (don't judge me I've been busy! lol).

I was hoping it would be more powerful, but perhaps the level 30 models will be more imposing.

I didn't play the first Xenoblade but I'm enjoying this even playing it single player only. Not sure what it is, but I find the combat and classes interesting, the plethora of systems is imposing but most of it is just kind of set it and tweak as you go which helps a lot, and the fights get more interesting as you progress.

Gotta afford a skell before I can really place this in my GOTY list though. I really am enjoying this as much as TW3 for mostly different reasons, and even if slow feels a lot less like you're wasting time than Fallout 4, so that's sorta where I'd place it :p

Hello friends!

I got Xenoblade Chronicles X, among other things, for Christmas, and would like to share some of my first impressions. I'm about 4 hours in, by the way, just finished Chapter 3 (or was it 4? I just got the talking vegetable guy).

The game is incredibly obtuse and new user unfriendly. It's relentless in not sharing basic information and to catch up to speed I called my best friend (who has played the game for 80 hours and still doesn't know a lot of the basic stuff) and watched all of Nintendo's Survival Guide videos (which explained a fair amount but still reflects poor onboarding design). What mildly irks me is that the game often says "Don't forget to do X!" when I hadn't known that X existed in the first place or needed to be tweaked. For example, before the first Tyrant, the game told me to not forget about leveling up arts and to not forget about equipping my best weapons, the former which I didn't know I could do and the latter I didn't know I had picked up anything of the sort. Online guides say "it's not well explained but do X,Y,Z" which just reflects how obtuse the game is. Not to mention how loose and arbitrary the combat system feels. It takes some a lot of adjustment. As someone who feels that intuitive design and new user friendliness are some of the most important qualities for a game to focus on, it isn't a good look.

Even with all of this, the game is strangely very compelling and every time I'm away from it, I look forward to playing it some more. I like the world and how natural and varied the enemies feel in the environment. It feels very dynamic and fluid, and entering an area I shouldn't isn't met with arbitrary restrictions, I just get eaten alive by a bunch of monsters saying "You've stepped in the wrong neighborhood". It's exciting and I don't ever feel like I'm lost, which is great because I look forward to exploring the world and getting lost is possibly my least favorite aspect of gaming (which is why Metroid is by far my least favorite Nintendo franchise). I also really really like the methods of surveying the land, it reminds me of the cell towers in Watch Dogs, which I also really like. There's a ton of flexibility in how I operate and as someone who loves playing a game my way, it's awesome stuff.

I'm also marginally intrigued by the story (even though it's completely drowned by its own exposition, but to be fair there's a LOT of ground to cover) and find the characters endearing (even though they're poorly animated and voice acted). I want to know more about the world and the situation itself, and I look forward to playing a small role in making the planet a better place (which is why I picked Mediators). Unhappy at the tease of negotiating with aliens just for the aliens to be like THERE WILL BE NO NEGOTIATIONS WE KILL HUMANS NOW. I was excited about diplomacy, oh well. Lastly one minor thing I really love is that the game tells me my progress in the Chapter so far. I like knowing how far I'm trucking and the game telling me "You are X/5 done with this chapter" is always a nice thing to see.

Overall, I'm enjoying myself even though the game is very flawed. I look forward to playing it some more!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The game is incredibly obtuse and new user unfriendly. It's relentless in not sharing basic information and to catch up to speed I called my best friend (who has played the game for 80 hours and still doesn't know a lot of the basic stuff) and watched all of Nintendo's Survival Guide videos (which explained a fair amount but still reflects poor onboarding design). What mildly irks me is that the game often says "Don't forget to do X!" when I hadn't known that X existed in the first place or needed to be tweaked. For example, before the first Tyrant, the game told me to not forget about leveling up arts and to not forget about equipping my best weapons, the former which I didn't know I could do and the latter I didn't know I had picked up anything of the sort. Online guides say "it's not well explained but do X,Y,Z" which just reflects how obtuse the game is. Not to mention how loose and arbitrary the combat system feels. It takes some a lot of adjustment. As someone who feels that intuitive design and new user friendliness are some of the most important qualities for a game to focus on, it isn't a good look.
This guy is why games have tutorials for every single little thing nowadays. Sorry, but you didn't notice what you picked up?

Kyzon

Hello friends!

I got Xenoblade Chronicles X, among other things, for Christmas, and would like to share some of my first impressions. I'm about 4 hours in, by the way, just finished Chapter 3 (or was it 4? I just got the talking vegetable guy).

Even with all of this, the game is strangely very compelling and every time I'm away from it, I look forward to playing it some more. I like the world and how natural and varied the enemies feel in the environment. It feels very dynamic and fluid, and entering an area I shouldn't isn't met with arbitrary restrictions, I just get eaten alive by a bunch of monsters saying "You've stepped in the wrong neighborhood". It's exciting and I don't ever feel like I'm lost, which is great because I look forward to exploring the world and getting lost is possibly my least favorite aspect of gaming (which is why Metroid is by far my least favorite Nintendo franchise). I also really really like the methods of surveying the land, it reminds me of the cell towers in Watch Dogs, which I also really like. There's a ton of flexibility in how I operate and as someone who loves playing a game my way, it's awesome stuff.

I'm also marginally intrigued by the story (even though it's completely drowned by its own exposition, but to be fair there's a LOT of ground to cover) and find the characters endearing (even though they're poorly animated and voice acted). I want to know more about the world and the situation itself, and I look forward to playing a small role in making the planet a better place (which is why I picked Mediators). Unhappy at the tease of negotiating with aliens just for the aliens to be like THERE WILL BE NO NEGOTIATIONS WE KILL HUMANS NOW. I was excited about diplomacy, oh well. Lastly one minor thing I really love is that the game tells me my progress in the Chapter so far. I like knowing how far I'm trucking and the game telling me "You are X/5 done with this chapter" is always a nice thing to see.

Overall, I'm enjoying myself even though the game is very flawed. I look forward to playing it some more!

IMO the manual helps a TON! I referenced it a bunch while playing. It explains just about anything you'd need to know, and anything else it explained by the game... except for what combos to use with overdrive >_> unless I missed that part.

Frodo

I feel the game was a little bit too obtuse, but I do rather that than something like FFXIII, that takes 20 hours to stop holding your hand.

Riki

This guy is why games have tutorials for every single little thing nowadays. Sorry, but you didn't notice what you picked up?
The curse of the button mashers.
I get that the game doesn't explain every little thing, but it explains a lot more than what people in this thread (and Twitter) seem to think.
Like people still not getting how setting probes work despite there being a big long quest line to show exactly how it works.
Or people at level 40 not leveling arts and skills when it tells you to do it in the first 5 hours before your first major fight.
Like, yeah, there's a lot of stuff to do, but if you aren't just mashing through, it's pretty simple.

Narras

Are there any major differences between Skells of the same weight besides stats? I was thinking of buying the level 30 Mastema and wasn't sure what the differences it had compared to the Amdusias I already own. If it's just looks, that's cool too.

Pretty much preparing for chapter 10. Tried that and got pretty much smacked down. Literally.

Also, I wish the manual for the game was like those old super thick books of older games. It'd be kind of nice to know exactly what all these abilities of every weapon/armor do. I'm pretty much assuming with things like Melee Attack Up, the bigger the number the better. lol

Not sure what the convention is here when it comes to squads, but I added about fifty of you to my list when the game came out and I tend to hop into whichever squad seems to have several people on it at once when I log in.

Put in about 60 hours in the first week and got as far as chapter 10, but haven't had much time to play since. I do love the game but I think the overwhelming boundlessness of exploration starts to dissipate once you get the flight module and snag all the mining nodes you can, even with all the handcrafted complexity in the landscape in the form of verticality and caves. But I've come to terms with chipping away at a few quests here and there from here on in, and maybe finishing the story by February.

I find that I actually rather like the structure of the experience. This is the complete DVD box set of video games—a few big episodes a season, spread out over quirky divergences into the life and times of minor characters that get you slowly acquainted with a very large cast. The affinity gating can be a bit rough, and I still don't like the collection quests that don't have any map guidance and practically require the GAF spreadsheet, but on the whole I find the game more fun to sit down with and play than the first Xenoblade, if not as charming or memorable. Here I'm never stuck pushing from point A to B for two hours straight without much else to do for progression.

Are there any major differences between Skells of the same weight besides stats? I was thinking of buying the level 30 Mastema and wasn't sure what the differences it had compared to the Amdusias I already own. If it's just looks, that's cool too.

default equipment :p

-Horizon-

The electronic manual seriously helps with a lot of the things that the game just glosses over. Of course, there are still a lot of things that the game doesn't explicitly explain.

Like I only learned more about overdrive and how that works like yesterday when an npc talked about how to chain certain types of arts together whether you are trying to extend the time or to do more damage. I still don't really get it but its hidden there in the game.

Also, I wish the manual for the game was like those old super thick books of older games. It'd be kind of nice to know exactly what all these abilities of every weapon/armor do. I'm pretty much assuming with things like Melee Attack Up, the bigger the number the better. lol

If you go engineering augments, and have at least one of the mat to make that mod, it'll explain what it does there.

The thing that sucks is some mods which are great for players (i.e. Melee attack/range attack), are worthless for skells. Also, some mods at the same rating for players, are either better or worse for skells. Front Attack XX is +25% for players, but +50% for skells.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The electronic manual seriously helps with a lot of the things that the game just glosses over. Of course, there are still a lot of things that the game doesn't explicitly explain.

Like I only learned more about overdrive and how that works like yesterday when an npc talked about how to chain certain types of arts together whether you are trying to extend the time or to do more damage. I still don't really get it but its hidden there in the game.
They throw overdrive in your face after you beat chapter 5

Vena

Volkampf had a nice boost on Christmas.

He's now sitting at a cool 206k. Pretty good performance all in all.

Ugh I fucked up. I started chapter 12 before realizing I dont have enough money for a lvl. 50 Skell. I wanted to take care of some affinity quests before finishing the story since I usually dont have the motivation to play a game afterwards.

I guess I'm just gonna complete as many normal missions as possible. I'm surprised how much story and insight there is on those conversations. I do want to go through the heart to hearts of all the major characters and as many affinity missions as possible. Im not ready to leave Mira yet ;_;

There's some good heavy sets, but it is a shame most are hamstrung by certain design concerns - even when they're not turning the female armour into sexy Halloween costumes based on the male one, some are just kind of ugly (but that's obviously entirely subjective) - combining the two, the options do narrow. I do really like some of the Wrothian armour (Ga Jiarg's set in particular) and the (Orphean?) arm set that looks like it was ripped off the Light Suit, though.

And I ended up doing the same as you in regards to some of the characters - the casual clothes help so much; especially compared to the options in the first game. That one set of leather pants fits Murderess so well.

Six Stars is the Wrothian AM. The male heavy armor is awesome and similar to Ga Jiargs.
I know what you mean about the light suit, some of them look straight out of Metroid.

How do you get the leather pants? I have Lin wearing the Bargain Jacket with her default shorts and it looks really good. Very casual and fits her character. I havent changed her outfit since I got that jacket.

I got the red leather jacket and it looks great.

Kyzon

So, this is now my favorite weapon in the game.

cyjVZ8U.jpg

-Horizon-

They throw overdrive in your face after you beat chapter 5

They might have thrown a splash screen or two but I don't remember it.

All I knew was that the option was unlocked in the arts panel when you go into combat and that it cost 3000TP. That's all I remembered from that point >.>

I didn't know anything about chaining at all.

Nope, didn't notice! The text is so tiny when I pick up things and I have no idea what is useful or not, that I don't take the time to read everything I pick up. Wish they'd make a big deal out of getting your first weapon though. If they were like "HERE IS YOUR FIRST WEAPON, EQUIP IT IN THIS MENU", I wouldn't have criticized it for that!

And I'm fine with tutorializing everything, as long as the tutorials are engaging and interesting. I'm 4 hours in and the game is still knee deep in tutorial mode and that's okay. That's not a bad thing. My problem is that the game has so much to it on a surface and depth level that the existing tutorial isn't adequate enough to cover what I think is important.

IMO the manual helps a TON! I referenced it a bunch while playing. It explains just about anything you'd need to know, and anything else it explained by the game... except for what combos to use with overdrive >_> unless I missed that part.
Yupp, I'm gonna read it the next time I play, even though I think that's poorly designed (and hypocritically wished that the manual existed physically in my game case). I think the game should teach you better without stopping all pacing to do your homework, but I'm invested in enjoying this game more so I'm fine with that!

I feel the game was a little bit too obtuse, but I do rather that than something like FFXIII, that takes 20 hours to stop holding your hand.
You spoke the magic words friend, considering that FF XIII is my least favorite game of all time. But not necessarily the criticism I find with it. I'd rather a game hold my hand than be obtuse. Obviously, I'd prefer neither, but given the option I'd prefer the former!

I swear Kirsty is like a drug dealer or something. Shes always in the sketchiest places by herself with that smug look on her face and her cleavage showing through her suit blazer. Mad sleazy

Finalow

Are you serious? I can get 105000 using two less duplicators but using two G2 booster instead of G1 and G2. Layout as so:
WVW69irgebAuyOEplT

It makes me sad how many people use that crappy 4 duplicator layout instead because internet told them it was good.
ok but where's the second G2 booster

found a messed up tyrant level 96 mech
saw this one tiny prone pretty much drained its health to zero but it stayed alive and Nardacyon, the Shadowless shows up
smh
why are these harder than the end boss?

Mandelbo

Put my name down in the OT spreadsheet, add me if you feel like it! How would I go about joining a GAF squad? If I must be part of a squad and get social notifications about it, I'd rather join one here than get notifications about completely random people.

Golnei

How do you get the leather pants? I have Lin wearing the Bargain Jacket with her default shorts and it looks really good. Very casual and fits her character. I havent changed her outfit since I got that jacket.

It's a random quest reward - I think it's listed as Redesigned Jeans? You probably have them already, it's this one:
K25znQY.jpg

I need to find a better matching top.

I should try something similar for Lin - at the moment, I'm using her default with one of the later palette swaps of Elma's leg armour. The colour scheme matches really well, but it is a little plain.

Edit: To clarify, I meant something similar to your Lin outfit. Not the leather pants.

Clawww

Finally got my whole team skelled out. Anyone quickly wanna explain the cockpit zoom mechanic? Didn't notice any prompts or anything on screen, can't remember anything in the manual

I got this game on the 21st. I'm about 14 hours in, and I've completed up to Chapter 4.

Me: Level 16
Elma: Level 16
Lin: Level 16
Irina: Level 17
The rest: Level 15

Am I at a good pace?

Golnei

Finally got my whole team skelled out. Anyone quickly wanna explain the cockpit zoom mechanic? Didn't notice any prompts or anything on screen, can't remember anything in the manual

It's random, as far as I know. All it does is reset all of your Art cooldowns.

found a messed up tyrant level 96 mech
saw this one tiny prone pretty much drained its health to zero but it stayed alive and Nardacyon, the Shadowless shows up
smh
why are these harder than the end boss?

that is
1 of the 4 superboss, meant for postgame kill like Telethia

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So I'm still pre-chapter 12 and I finally hit level 50. Bought 2 new skells and tricked them out. Anyone have any tips for weapons I should be farming and where to do it? I'm still a few million off my 3rd skell and want to deck my guys out in good ground gear before hitting the finale so I've got the time needed to farm while I wait for my money to build up again.

It's a random quest reward - I think it's listed as Redesigned Jeans? You probably have them already, it's this one:
K25znQY.jpg

I need to find a better matching top.

I should try something similar for Lin - at the moment, I'm using her default with one of the later palette swaps of Elma's leg armour. The colour scheme matches really well, but it is a little plain.

Edit: To clarify, I meant something similar to your Lin outfit. Not the leather pants.
One of the jackets is leather. I gave this combo to Murderess.

this game is such a snuff film

Bihabba is all casual about people falling out of the sky dead and shit

"This world is kinda fucked up... Yes?"

Who are they?

Queen, Telethia, Luxaar's Dropshit (?), and someone else?

the 4th is what I had in spoiler above no?

Mistle

It's kind of sad that, through normal game progression, I won't be able to tackle all those cool massive Tyrants you have to avoid early on and throughout. I just assumed that by end game I'd be strong enough to take them.

But reading about all the farming and such you have to do to get superweapons or the Ares 90, only to then 1 shot them all (which is fun in an overpowered way but to me would just be boring..), is a bit disappointing. But I guess that's pretty normal for postgame/MMO sort of things.

I wanna be at a point where 1) I don't have to spend tens of hours farming 2) I can battle Tyrants and not one shot them, but still take them down as if they're bosses.

I love the game, but I think once I finish up the main story+affinity missions and most of the normal missions, I'll be calling it quits.

Haunted

It's kind of sad that, through normal game progression, I won't be able to tackle all those cool massive Tyrants you have to avoid early on and throughout. I just assumed that by end game I'd be strong enough to take them.

But reading about all the farming and such you have to do to get superweapons or the Ares 90, only to then 1 shot them all (which is fun in an overpowered way but to me would just be boring..), is a bit disappointing. But I guess that's pretty normal for postgame/MMO sort of things.

I wanna be at a point where 1) I don't have to spend tens of hours farming 2) I can battle Tyrants and not one shot them, but still take them down as if they're bosses.

I love the game, but I think once I finish up the main story+affinity missions and most of the normal missions, I'll be calling it quits.
The main story and the time you have to invest in that is maybe two thirds of the game, probably even less.

Monster Hunter is a good comparison. When you're done with the story boss and village quests, the real game starts.

Though I'd argue that Xenoblade doesn't have a good time/reward balance for the post game stuff. Too much repetition and grinding for not enough payoff.

Top Bottom