• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

Sophia

thetrin said:
Try close to 100+ hours.

Yeah, you're looking at 100 hours easily. Some of the reviews/impressions I've read have maxed out the clock timer (99 hours) on their first playthrough, and there's a New Game Plus mode.

It's just THAT massive.

RPGCrazied

Anyone good at making Avatars? I really want a Shulk one, but google I can't find any whatsoever. I tried making my own, but it stinks.

Bel Marduk said:
Wow, so there was a beta map in the game that didn't make it in for some reason even though it was mostly completed. I think this area was in the first Monado trailer. Too bad.

Minor spoiler from part of the ending cutscene btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l86GCaqZuxY

Wow. All the different paths, things to be discovered...levels left on the cutting room floor in this game seem so much more compelling than actual finished levels of many games (like FFXIII). I haven't been this hyped about a new release for a long time, probably since FFXII.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Bel Marduk said:
Wow, so there was a beta map in the game that didn't make it in for some reason even though it was mostly completed. I think this area was in the first Monado trailer. Too bad.

Mother of God. This is amazing!!! This game just blows my mind the more I watch it! I NEED THIS GAME NOW!!

adroit

Since we have some time to kill until August 19, how about some recreational speculation? Here goes...

If this game had been designed and developed by exactly the same people but had been made for the 360 and/or PS3 instead of the Wii, do you think the game would have been released in the Americas? Or do you think Microsoft and/or Sony would make the same decision Nintendo of America has (so far) made?

Edit: Yes, I know Monolith Soft is controlled by Nintendo. This is a hypothetical question. In a parallel universe where Monolith Soft developed this game for a different platform, they'd obviously not be in the clutches of Nintendo. :)

Well, PS3 fans seem to want it three times as much.
2jdi6bb.jpg

Solune

RPGCrazied said:
Anyone good at making Avatars? I really want a Shulk one, but google I can't find any whatsoever. I tried making my own, but it stinks.
If this suits your needs you can use it if you like.
qtJH1.png

adroit

Lord Ghirahim said:
Well, PS3 fans seem to want it three times as much.
Ha! Took me a moment to figure out why it's in the search suggestion list three times: different code points for the same Latin letters ("ps") and Arabic numeral ("3"). The "ps3" looks slightly different in each of the three cases. Interesting!

donny2112

adroit said:
If this game had been designed and developed by exactly the same people but had been made for the 360 and/or PS3 instead of the Wii, do you think the game would have been released in the Americas?

Yes, absolutely. Microsoft has brought over about everything. Sony has the Xenogears history, so they would've brought it, too.

Now, if it was a third-party publishing, maybe not, but for 1st-party studios, only Nintendo is really hemming and hawing about worldwide releasing. *shrugs*

Hiltz

Had Microsoft published Last Story, it would have most likely come out within days of each other for the North American, European and Australian release. Japan would have naturally gotten it months sooner.

With Blue Dragon, Microsoft had the Japanese version come out over 6 months ahead of its overseas date. Lost Odyssey had a tighter worldwide release date with Japan only getting the game 2 months earlier.

Microsoft did a good job with handling Mistwalker's titles on the 360's overseas release. Of course, Microsoft doesn't have nearly as many titles to handle as Nintendo does or another platform to support.

squall23

Bel Marduk said:

I'm more surprised at the fact that it took this long to find this, no offence to the person that actually did find it. I'm amazed at it, it's just that you would think some of the Japanese players would have found this long ago.

Luigiv

Ultratech said:
Damn, that's pretty impressive for a beta map.
Wonder why they decided to cut it from the final version of the game...
I would assume it's either because they ran out of time and/or felt including the area into the plot would have hurt the games pacing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
adroit said:
Ha! Took me a moment to figure out why it's in the search suggestion list three times: different code points for the same Latin letters ("ps") and Arabic numeral ("3"). The "ps3" looks slightly different in each of the three cases. Interesting!

Yeah, each one is a different combination of single byte and two-byte characters.

ps3
ps3
ps3
ps3

etc...

Also, if anyone knows of any good settings to get this running near perfectly in Dolphin, please let me know!

Sophia

Luigiv said:
I would assume it's either because they ran out of time and/or felt including the area into the plot would have hurt the games pacing.

Given the design of the game, and what we've read in interviews, it was probably because they ran out of time.

desu

So for anyone thinking "Wow this looks amazing", well you guys are in luck because the whole game is like this :D.

So when I heard about the whole Operation: Rainfall story, I decided to watch some gameplay of Xenoblade. Needless to say, I really want to play this game. I've never really been a big JRPG fan, but I did play and love Final Fantasy XII, and the combat system in Xenoblade looks very simular to it. This will probably be the game I unbox my Wii for. I just need to make my Wii region free since it doesn't look like it'll get a release in North America, which is pretty lame.

Question I have is for anybody who has played it or beat...I know the vast majority of doors to houses in this game are closed. But are there ANY doors in towns that do open? I love going inside people's houses in RPG's. And I would love some kind of tavern area in the game to talk to NPC's. It seems like there is none of that, but the game has everything else.

desu said:
So for anyone thinking "Wow this looks amazing", well you guys are in luck because the whole game is like this :D.

This is going to sound very silly and very dumb, but I've actually started studying Japanese again since this whole thing began. Then maybe I can get to work on some other games that haven't seen release stateside...

Plus, I may be in the minority, but I actually really like the Japanese font used in the game.
1046327-rvl_monado_02ss01_e3_super.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Beta area doesn't look like much of a loss. Just more grass plains. I guess those towns might have been interesting had they been finished and populated. Oh well..

Still, love how they've done their low tech yet good looking foliage in this game. Wish the Zelda team had asked these guys for tips on making trees. Skyward Sword trees are eh.

weeaboo said:
That's impressive :O

Even a beta map in Xenoblade put the entire Final Fantasy XIII to shame

Shows how easily they could have made "HD Towns" Just give me an open field, a small town, a couple of buildings, an Inn and some NPC's to talk to and shop. Is it so much to ask?

creid

Lord Ghirahim said:
You're quoting a post from June. We know Greece isn't the only country getting the posters now.
Ah OK. I quoted it because I had seen it posted several times before, and I don't know where it originated from.

RPGCrazied

Solune said:
If this suits your needs you can use it if you like.
qtJH1.png

I'll use it for awhile! Thanks! :)

Man, so close, yet so far. Times like these I wish I lived in Europe. I have to wait another month or so after the release. America gets the shaft here.

I'm very excited about this game. For those who already have played it or have seen a lot of material (I'm in a media blackout right now), could we say that Xenoblade is for Japanese RPGs what Elder Scrolls is for Western ones? In terms of scale and sidequests, I mean.

Reveirg

I keep hearing about how the game is 100 hours long. Doesn't it get old after a while? I always lose interest at around max. 50-60 hours even for games I love.

How is the pacing? What keeps your interest? Does the story remain interesting and is a good motivation to move forward? Or is it only the gameplay and exploration?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Reveirg said:
I keep hearing about how the game is 100 hours long. Doesn't it get old after a while? I always lose interest at around max. 50-60 hours even for games I love.

How is the pacing? What keeps your interest? Does the story remain interesting and is a good motivation to move forward? Or is it only the gameplay and exploration?
If you just do the story it will probably be a lot shorter. Almost certainly 60 hours or less. The game has a ton of quests and optional content, and combined with the scope of the world it can give you a lot of extra play time. Somebody who has actually played it can correct me or clarify.

Zornica

Banned
chaosblade said:
If you just do the story it will probably be a lot shorter. Almost certainly 60 hours or less. The game has a ton of quests and optional content, and combined with the scope of the world it can give you a lot of extra play time. Somebody who has actually played it can correct me or clarify.

it took me 65 hours and 5 minutes to complete the main game without doing any sidequests on my first playthrough. but i kinda ran through it, so it will take an average 70+ hours to complete i guess. i am not even sure what kept me going. it was just to much fun to quit - story and gameplaywise.

desu

Zornica said:
it took me 65 hours and 5 minutes to complete the main game without doing any sidequests on my first playthrough. but i kinda ran through it, so it will take an average 70+ hours to complete i guess. i am not even sure what kept me going. it was just to much fun to quit - story and gameplaywise.

Really that long? I had like 70-80h but I did tons of quests and exploring.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Reveirg said:

Honestly I'm the type of person who gets tired of games around 50 hours. I usually prefer them to be 20-40 hours and break up longer games by taking several month breaks in between. I had no problems sinking 150 hours into Xenoblade. I became so obsessed while I was playing the game, everything was interesting. Even the side quests were interesting because so many of the NPCs had interesting stories, I wanted to see more.

Zornica

Banned
@desu: i cant read kanji, so its kinda hard to tell what to do sometimes :p + spent too much time with gem crafting (at least 8 hours or more... stupid minigame -_-) and grinding (uniques for books). i suppose if you ignore everything not mainquest related it would take around 50 - 60 hours. but srsly, who does that?

desu

Zornica said:
but i kinda ran through it

Zornica said:
spent too much time with gem crafting (at least 8 hours or more... stupid minigame -_-) and grinding (uniques for books)

My girlfriend said "How can you spend 8 hours gem crafting?".

Anyway, I guess our definition of running through a game differs here. Running through the game isnt really spending tons of time with useless stuff and grinding, grinding and grinding. Honestly I think you can finish it much faster ;).

wsippel

Banned
Franchuzas87 said:
I'm very excited about this game. For those who already have played it or have seen a lot of material (I'm in a media blackout right now), could we say that Xenoblade is for Japanese RPGs what Elder Scrolls is for Western ones? In terms of scale and sidequests, I mean.
That's not really a bad comparison. Closer to Morrowind than Oblivion, to me at least, but yes. It's a huge, strange world, with tons of weird shit going on and there's so much to see, try and explore. And it has tons of loot as well - something Elder Scrolls never got right. It's not quite Diablo in that regard, but loot always motivates me.

wsippel said:
That's not really a bad comparison. Closer to Morrowind than Oblivion, to me at least, but yes. It's a huge, strange world, with tons of weird shit going on and there's so much to see, try and explore. And it has tons of loot as well - something Elder Scrolls never got right. It's not quite Diablo in that regard, but loot always motivates me.
You made my day, sir.

wsippel

Banned
Franchuzas87 said:
You made my day, sir.
It's also nothing like Elder Scrolls, though. What they have in common is a strong sense of wonder, adventure and exploration (which is what I loved about Morrowind, and which Oblivion was severely lacking), but the actual games are very different animals.

Started this today.

Played about 40 minutes and Im impressed!
Usually I dont like rpgs like this and final fantasy but I'll defently give this a go.

Looks very nice on Dolphin.

Top Bottom