• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X Localization Changes for Character Models

Mithos

I think expecting Japanese voices is a huge mistake unless it's a game without much dialogue. The fact that Wii U isn't using BR discs has a big impact in that regard, assuming it isn't just a licensing issue.

The "Wii U Optical Disc" Nintendo are using have the capability of 25GB, they do not support the Blu-Ray standard though, and can therefor not call the disc Blu-Ray. If the Wii U Optical Disc's can support dual layer or not is not known as of yet.

This is similar as how the Wii Optical Disc wasn't really a DVD, but had the same storage capacity.

Mik317

"yeah but you can't make yourself muscular...so its fine to take it out" is not a good defense. Yes, they should have had a weight slider, arm sliders, and generally be more detailed. But that never was in the game. People are missing the main issue people have with this decision...the fact that something that was in the game was removed for flimsy reasons. It has been repeated multiple times and ignored but if it was truly removed because of sexualization (I don't like that but that it is fair enough), then they failed because its still there.

The fact that we are talking about is fanservice bad or not, or progression is meaningless. Regardless if you think it shouldn't have been in the game in the first place ( I also disagree..yeah its for fanservice but there is some good that comes from it that outweighs losers in there basement ...a point also ignored), it was in the game....and people aren't happy w/ its removal.

i don't see how that is confusing thing. Its not the end of the world, nor do I expect to fight Nintendo to bring it back, but I just want people to understand the true issue people or at least I am taking with it.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Not even that considering the way they did it. At least use something that looks like wool and not some ready for war metal chest plate covering her whole upper body. Again, every "evil pedohile" could just create his own character, make it appear even younger than Lin (which isn't hard since her body looks 20) and give it every skimpy shit outfit in the game. Their method doesn't even make sense.

Unlocking costumes is the most motivating thing ever in such a game, so is role-playing and just giving every character outfits based on whatever you feel like, the last trailer even shows exactly this.

I think you're misunderstanding. That image of her censored version that made the rounds recently was pretty misleading since it was a mix of various armour parts you can equip your character with, making the outfit look like a garbled mess of clothing. The focus of that image wasn't the entire set of revealing armour, just the chest part which had cloth added to it to make it less revealing. Here's what the actual Western Lin looks wearing a full bikini set compared to the image you're probably reacting to (from a video posted in the OP, mind you):
csj4mawwsaawzox5yqm2.jpg
8q0puif.png
The left one is just a mixed armour set, that's why it looks like a mess. The important part was the chest piece having cloth added to it. On the right is Lin as she looks wearing one of the full bikini sets (or just underwear? Not sure. Revealing either way.)

They basically "added wool" to hide some very naughty bits indeed, so no need to go overboard with your reaction.

No, people bringing the same ignorant arguments over and over without making the barest effort for educating themselves with the basics of feminism 101 is literally what makes these threads go on an on. I just have no energy to do it all over yet again.

You're welcome.
You're wrong about one thing, though, my post was condescending but at no point was I propping myself up. Perhaps , while you're soul searching, reflect on why did you project that on me?

No projection necessary for they are inextricably linked. By doing one, you do the other, even if you don't think so that's how everyone else will see it.

So you're saying women who have breasts that size look terrible?

Nooo, the character creator seems to add breast size as if she's wearing some push-up bra making the breasts perfect round shapes. Doesn't exactly look natural, it just looks awkward to me. I don't even know what the bigger size chest look like with some of the skimpy bikinis in the game, but I don't think it'll look that great/natural. And that's the fault of the character model, not the breast size itself.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I think expecting Japanese voices is a huge mistake unless it's a game without much dialogue. The fact that Wii U isn't using BR discs has a big impact in that regard, assuming it isn't just a licensing issue.
The wiiU is using 25GB discs, they just cant call it blurry because it's technically not

I get that there's no space on the disc for a Japanese audio track but I'd have hoped it could be downloaded. I'm guessing since they didn't intend to have it on the disc they may not has licensed (?) the JP voice actors performance for use outside of Japan. I mean I get that it's the same company but I'm sure there's probably additional royalties if you use their performance for extra versions of the game.

Hopefully I'm totally off base and there's a day one patch for added voices and the bust slider.

... I can dream right?

Eila

I get that there's no space on the disc for a Japanese audio track but I'd have hoped it could be downloaded. I'm guessing since they didn't intend to have it on the disc they may not has licensed (?) the JP voice actors performance for use outside of Japan. I mean I get that it's the same company but I'm sure there's probably additional royalties if you use their performance for extra versions of the game.

Hopefully I'm totally off base and there's a day one patch for added voices and the bust slider.

... I can dream right?

I doubt very much anyone at Nintendo is ever going to comment on that, let alone patch them in. Some people sent tickets complaining about it, but there was no campaign to really hit the news.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

... I can dream right?

That's never gonna be patched in. I like the idea of Japanese audio but what makes the English audio worse is that they aren't British as fuck any more, which actually gave the original Xenoblade's localisation a lot of charm.

Depending on how it's done I wouldn't use the Japanese audio anyway. If this game has so many mid-battle comments as the first one did, it might just be too distracting to read a bunch of subs on the already pretty busy battle HUD, which is problem I've noticed while playing Drakengard 3 with Japanese audio: When combat's keeping me busy I'm liable to just not read the subs and miss what they're saying. Although Drakengard 3 has more action oriented combat, of course.

Zekes!

As much as I like the British voice acting of Xenoblade, for X it'd make little sense since the colony is New Los Angeles. Maybe a British voice here or there would have been fine.

maybe the British voice acting would have been even better because it's New Los Angeles

That's never gonna be patched in. I like the idea of Japanese audio but what makes the English audio worse is that they aren't British as fuck any more, which actually gave the original Xenoblade's localisation a lot of charm.

Depending on how it's done I wouldn't use the Japanese audio anyway. If this game has so many mid-battle comments as the first one did, it might just be too distracting to read a bunch of subs on the already pretty busy battle HUD, which is problem I've noticed while playing Drakengard 3 with Japanese audio: When combat's keeping me busy I'm liable to just not read the subs and miss what they're saying. Although Drakengard 3 has more action oriented combat, of course.

Yeah, I would have preferred if they used the same accents that they had in the first game.

I don't really care that the colony is called Neo Los Angeles or whatever. It's hundreds of years in the future and accents change over time. Just compare the kind of accents you'd hear 50-100 years ago in NA compared to today. Pretty stark difference, it would be even more pronounced hundreds of years in the future so using NA voice actors doesn't actually make sense over the European ones that we had in Xenoblade Chronicles imo.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
As much as I like the British voice acting of Xenoblade, for X it'd make little sense since the colony is New Los Angeles. Maybe a British voice here or there would have been fine.

maybe the British voice acting would have been even better because it's New Los Angeles

Should've just written the story to be in Proto Neo New Los Angeles III run by British radicals who banned all other accents and dialects.

Or New Paris, I guess.

Top Bottom