• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

tumblr_md3fsjoLXK1rsw1yf.gif

I love how kids that grew up in the 80s were apparently persevering testosterone driven game-completing machines. You all know you pussies called up the Nintendo Power hotline in tears.

Spoiler; Your dad beat it for you, and your memory is inaccurate. 2 year olds are fucking dumb.

Back in the day 1994 I got stuck half fucking year in the game searching path for Maridia! :((( I was 4 years old.. None helped me to beat this game..

knkng

I was able to beat this game when I was 2. Super Metroid has made me the person I am today.

Hoo boy. It drives me crazy when friends make these kinds of statements and then actually try to defend them as being legitimate (like you have been doing). It just shows that you have zero experience with children and don't even know what a 2-year-old is. At that age you are learning the intricacies of walking, running, sorting by color, forming a complete sentence, etc. But no, of course you were a genius child with the coordination of somebody triple your age because you said so, so it must be true...

Sorry, these kinds of statements just get under my skin.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A few friends of mine used to give me the "I beat _____ when I was 3!" shtick when I was in grade school.

I was always in a league of my own compared to them when it came to video games, and I always knew they were full of it. :p

Eusis

Ha, I had a good deal of trouble with him. It takes quite a few hits from the beam to finish him and there is not much room for error. Once I switched to missiles it weren't so bad.
Yeah, he's nigh-impossible to dodge (or I suck now) and you're not very highly powered yet. It's just kind of a brutal all-you-got slugfest you hope to come out on top of.

Eusis

I love how kids that grew up in the 80s were apparently persevering testosterone driven game-completing machines. You all know you pussies called up the Nintendo Power hotline in tears.

Spoiler; Your dad beat it for you, and your memory is inaccurate. 2 year olds are fucking dumb.
You're discounting older siblings there! Or Game Genie, not that that would help much here.

Anyways you can actually link these two points somewhat: a lot of us may have had Nintendo Power or some other magazine, maybe even the actual strategy guide, and so it wouldn't even occur to us to ask for help because we spoiled ourselves on how to get past this one section and did so. These guys are getting the virgin experience we may have never had.

Meanwhile for me beating games I think it was stuff like SMB3 and Duck Tales at 5 (maybe on Duck Tales, if not then then a bit later) and Little Mermaid at 6, but SMB3 had warp pipes (though I think I beat each of the stages eventually), and Little Mermaid was probably balanced so little girls who normally don't beat games could beat this. Had other Capcom games too like Duck Tales and Nemo (I think, I can't actually remember the ending of that so maybe that WASN'T beaten.) Sure wasn't beating games like Super Metroid at 2 at any rate, the original I played at like 3 and only got as far as the corridor with the long shot, probably stuck because I had no missles to open the door yet.
Just realised there's now a MiiverseShitPosts twitter account, full of gems like this:

bkp5mpnceaainqa.jpg

https://twitter.com/BadMiiversePost/status/336214826990833664
At this point I do wonder how many are joking, and there is something of a problem with that area and the water physics. If the water were, like, an inch in-game lower jumping from the mostly exposed ground would be way less of an issue.

TentPole

If I played it without watching anyone first then yeah, I wouldn't have ever come close to beating it. It's not like I got 100% completion or spedrun or anything.

You don't understand. At 2 you would not have even developed the motor skills necessary to beat the game. It simply did not happen.

WhyMe6

Koren

This part is awesome. It took me quite some time to get past this room. I knew what I had to do, but executing it was difficult for me as a kid. I love how this room teaches you the following: (1) running/jumping for extended jump and (2) introducing water and its properties.
Yep.

I've just thrown an hour into it, and when I arrived in this room, I missed the jump twice. I can understand why people can be surprised there and think at first it can't be done.

I wanted to make a make a quick run, but I made a pretty big mistake after the ice beam...
I was too eager to go back up through the vertical shaft that go back to the surface, picking spazer and power bombs, even if I knew I needed the grappling beam to go to the right there. I completely missed the passage that go to Crocomire, I don't know why... The power bombs even made me want to go to Maridia through the tube, but without the gravity suit, that's an awfully bad idea

I don't know why I've made this one. Maybe because last time I played I made a sequence-break there (but even if it's an interesting one, it's longer in time AFAIK)

I at least feel comfortable saying that after putting 5 hours into this, the controls are terrible. There is no getting used to it. There should be more complaints about that.
You can re-map them if the options on the file select screen. Speedrunners like to do that (or at least used to).

edit: so you RUN past it? didnt know you could run either... lol. also, someone said that room was optional but when i got into it i couldnt get back sooo...
Thats a different room once you get a powerup (ironically, running is the cause). Well actually there are two areas like that. If you can't figure out the escape (it is kind of shown to you in a way to make you try it and figure it out yourself) there is no save point so you can load from a previous save.

What I love about super metroid is for first time plays it's a real thinking game, you need a lot of thought until you learn what you have to do and where items are.

It's going to stump a lot of people, even I had trouble with the game with my first few attempts to beat it.

As funny as this is, I have a hard time believing that if the Internet existed back when this was released we wouldn't have seen the same stuff back then. Such a wonderful experience like playing A Link to The Past for the first time. After seeing all these OT's about Super Metroid all I want to do is bust out the Wii for a playthough of this masterpiece.

Koren

You can re-map them if the options on the file select screen. Speedrunners like to do that (or at least used to).
Even better : Wii U emulator let you map absolutely any U Pad button to any SNES button.

The problem with the in-game settings is that aiming up/down can ONLY be assigned to L and R. Problem: I don't like having dash, jump and charge on 3 face buttons. So I used to put dash on L, but that means I had to ditch aiming down :(

That's the first time I can play Super Metroid with the controls I truly want (that being said, two-layers button remapping can become a bit complex to handle). Even better, I have aim up/down on R/ZR, which feels natural.

Too bad you can't map a proper missile buttons, like on recent metroids (that is definitively an improvement of controls, the select/fire/cancel is truly bothersome)

Eusis

Sums ups whats wrong with todays gamers lol. So quick to rush to the internetz
It's better than just putting a game down entirely, plus we don't know how long they waited, or if they just need some guidance at the start before they got rolling akin to training wheels.
What gave these kids an idea to play Super Metroid on their Wii-U? That reality in itself is impressive.
When it became marginally more expensive than getting candy out of a gumball machine. Hell maybe it's cheaper, I haven't followed the prices on those in a long time.

Koren

I seriously don't remember a time where I got stuck in Super Metroid...
I remember well at that time spending probably an hour exploring before thinking to
break the glass tube in Maridia with a bomb... In fact, I had though about it, after seeing broken tubes, but I was thinking that the animation would be impossible to do with tiled graphics, and I didn't even try... When I tried, and it worked... mind blown. There's so many nice little graphical touches in Super Metroid!

Same with the
thief's dungeon
in A Link to the Past... I went to the good room, but
didn't went in the light

Of course, in the 80s - early 90s, sometimes you were stuck, but usually, a couple of hours and you would find the solution. And if not, there were still magazines (I remember a "bottle in the sea" in a local magazine, Tilt, where readers were sending questions about games, mostly computer ones), telephone services (including Nintendo one), and also, here, Minitel services (think a kind of low-bandwidth internet using phone lines and teletext) to get answers.

When there were not tips in the game box (actually, in Zelda SNES, there were a couple of tips printed on a sealed sheet of paper for people stuck, I found that solution quite nice and clever).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Am I the only one who thought the post was a joke/hyperbole? In that he was either mocking those who said "I beat it when I was X age", or that he did beat it very young but maybe more like 7 and not 2 obviously.

Neo Child

Banned
its pretty awesome that we have miiverse for this. seems like the community is really good as long as neogaf stays out of these miiverse posts

Cels

i was inspired by this thread into doing a 3 hr speedrun for this game.
yes i know 3 hr isn't all that fast but i haven't played the game in years

still got it.

Ι don't understand why it is considered bad for a game to be hard. I also love Prime but thankfully you could turn hints OFF. With them ON its like hand holding again.
I think that hand-holding and actually telling you mission objectives are different things. Hand holding would be telling you exactly where to go, how to get there, etc. Metroid Prime does not do that; it just tells you what room you should be heading towards, and nothing else. You have to figure the rest out yourself. It's pretty much perfectly balanced. With hints off, though, it would have been quite frustrating (and probably would require a walkthrough at some point, either that or I might have stopped playing sooner). No way would I ever play it that way. Sometimes I didn't need to be told where to go, but but other times they were useful.

Some people love the idea of exploration. Exploration means that you will get stuck, that you have to think a little, to backtrack etc. If a game based on exploration doesn't make you fear that you might get lost if you are not careful, then it's a badly designed "exploration" game.
The idea of wandering around lost without any idea of where I'm going or what I should be doing is NOT fun, and I don't want to have to do that. If I have an objective, okay. But wandering around, maybe without a map or without a good enough map, and without knowing where I should be going, or what I should be doing? That's awful, and I HATE doing that in games. I like exploring while I'm going through an area the first time, as long as there are maps and such so that I know where I'm going if it's not a linear game, but that stuff is something entirely different. And yes, that's a major complaint of mine about some RPGs, and gets me to drop games. And it's worse when, like in some parts of Super Metroid, there's really no way to know where you should be going unless you happen to attack the correct wall or something like that. Come on. You can't see how that is questionable game design? There's a reason why that went away, and it's not just because gamers want straight-line games, or something. It's because that kind of design isn't exactly universally loved. I mean, even one of the worst such offenders, Milon's Secret Castle, got a much more straightforward game as its SNES followup. I haven't played that game so I don't know if it's better than the first one, but the point is the design change. And Super Metroid did tone that stuff down a lot versus the NES game... they just kept in some elements of it.

Oh, and you can certainly get lost in Metroid Prime and the GBA games, for sure. Other M is probably the only one where you really can't. Getting that balance right is very difficult, certainly, but some games manage to get it right...

Metroid is a game that tries to put you in the boots of someone who has to explore a creepy planet, completely alone. You will get lost but thankfully not very much. You are supposed to be lost for a bit. Its part of the atmosphere. You are not suppose to find everything in front of you. OtherM did that and it sucked.
Zero Mission and Prime did it right. Super Metroid's more archaic than those games in design, and that's why I didn't have quite as much fun with it. I still liked it overall, though.

Some of the responses to this are pretenious and suck ass.

Some these people are kids playing Super Metroid for the first time! I thought players on NeoGAF would be excited to see the next generation actually WANT TO PLAY a Super Nintendo title. And yet I see a good portion of dragged out mockery.

Don't get me wrong, Its funny. Im not saying you can't have fun with it (Its a great meme) but some of these response's are degrading. Why are others trying to humiliate young players from exploring this hobby? A good community doesn't haze its young members. At most, it scolds them when they aren't behaving as a member with class.

The growing problems with the gaming community is directly caused by the gamers themselves, I can't help but notice.
I agree with all of this.

nkarafo

Oh, and you can certainly get lost in Metroid Prime and the GBA games, for sure. Other M is probably the only one where you really can't. Getting that balance right is very difficult, certainly, but some games manage to get it right...
I wasn't going to comment on your post until you mentioned OtherM. This piece of crap has nothing to do with Metroid. I'm not sure if you ment that you liked it. But it seems to me that you just don't like non linear games where you must explore and use your wit to advance. Metroid games (except OtherM) are those kind of games.

I wasn't going to comment on your post until you mentioned OtherM. This piece of crap has nothing to do with Metroid. I'm not sure if you ment that you liked it. But it seems to me that you just don't like non linear games where you must explore and use your wit to advance. Metroid games (except OtherM) are those kind of games.

I have not played Other M, but don't want to on the basis of how badly it destroys Samus's character going by what I've read of it.

As for the gameplay, that it's a dpad-only game in 3d sounds quite bad, but as for whether I'd enjoy it otherwise, no idea.

nkarafo

but as for whether I'd enjoy it otherwise, no idea.
Based on what you said, i'm sure you will. Its a pretty linear game with little to no exploration until the second, "secret" ending where it lets you explore but just a bit, as everything is pointed on the map anyway. You don't even have to look for the mandatory suit upgrades, they are handed to you automatically as you follow the instructions the game gives you.

Based on what you said, i'm sure you will. Its a pretty linear game with little to no exploration until the second, "secret" ending where it lets you explore but just a bit, as everything is pointed on the map anyway. You don't even have to look for the mandatory suit upgrades, they are handed to you automatically as you follow the instructions the game gives you.

Uh, if you think that I said I think those things are the best kind of design, you're not paying attention to what I said... I said that Metroid Prime 1 with the help-system on is pretty much ideal.

I do have no problem with linear games, and do sometimes find them more fun than nonlinear ones (like, I've never liked Bethesda RPGs all that much... but Zelda is my favorite game series. Not sure if I'd count that as linear or nonlinear, though.), but I certainly do enjoy some exploration, as long as there's a good mapping system and the game isn't forcing me to re-explore the same areas over and over and over. If I actually want to, okay, but I shouldn't be forced to.

nkarafo

I do have no problem with linear games, and do sometimes find them more fun than nonlinear ones (like, I've never liked Bethesda RPGs all that much... but Zelda is my favorite game series. Not sure if I'd count that as linear or nonlinear, though.), but I certainly do enjoy some exploration, as long as there's a good mapping system and the game isn't forcing me to re-explore the same areas over and over and over. If I actually want to, okay, but I shouldn't be forced to.
Well Metroid's "thing" is finding places you can't reach, that tease you with visible paths or items and the satisfaction you feel when you finally get the suit upgrade that allows you to go there. That means backtracking is an important part of the design. You also feel how stronger Samus gets because you revisit areas and the enemies are easier to kill.

Peagles

You don't understand. At 2 you would not have even developed the motor skills necessary to beat the game. It simply did not happen.

We only had a Sega Master System, but my brother was 2 when we got it and he beat plenty of games on his own, including Wonder Boy III which most seasoned gamers had trouble with at the time.

I don't doubt he could've beaten Super Metroid too.

Jobbs

Banned
We only had a Sega Master System, but my brother was 2 when we got it and he beat plenty of games on his own, including Wonder Boy III which most seasoned gamers had trouble with at the time.

I don't doubt he could've beaten Super Metroid too.

I've watched small children grow up and tried to get them into video games, they play them pretty well at 5 and 8 but at 2 there was nothing happening. I can't even picture a 2 year old playing a video game in any real way. they're just too young to use the controller.

when it comes to toddlers playing video games for real, I'll believe it when I see it.

Peagles

I've watched small children grow up and tried to get them into video games, they play them pretty well at 5 and 8 but at 2 there was nothing happening. I can't even picture a 2 year old playing a video game in any real way. they're just too young to use the controller.

when it comes to toddlers playing video games for real, I'll believe it when I see it.

Unfortunately I can't show you proof, we were too poor to own a video camera back then :(

He was better than me, and that is saying something. I didn't start playing til I was 4 though when my best friend got a Sega. I guess it was just a combination of being exposed at a young age, having someone to teach him (me), and being a generally intelligent and fast developing kid.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I still find this shit adorable. Good on Ninty to price this so low, so that kids grabbed it out of pure impulse.

Top Bottom