• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"y cant metroid crawl?" first time (Miiverse) players cry for help in Super Metroid

TentPole

Unfortunately I can't show you proof, we were too poor to own a video camera back then :(

He was better than me, and that is saying something. I didn't start playing til I was 4 though when my best friend got a Sega. I guess it was just a combination of being exposed at a young age, having someone to teach him (me), and being a generally intelligent and fast developing kid.

Even if he was some sort of genius baby and his mind could process what was happening fast enough his body would not be able to respond fast enough. You are misremembering. It is literally impossible.

Peagles

Even if he was some sort of genius baby and his mind could process what was happening fast enough his body would not be able to respond fast enough. You are misremembering. It is literally impossible.

Well he did, and no I'm not misremembering and neither is the rest of my immediate family, and the dates all line up with when we bought the system and stuff. Actually he's the only one who doesn't remember, probably because he was so young. It was so cute though cos he used to twitch his little thumbs in bed while he was dreaming. Like he was playing in his sleep!

Anyway just throwing my 2c in to say it's possible. Maybe a lot of toddlers don't have the capacity, I sure know a ton who don't. Some are crazy quick on tablet games though so I don't doubt they could have been good at the older games too.

Sophia

For what it's worth, I've seen some young children (2-3 year old toddlers) play a game before. I mean they get the basics down and stuff usually. I was capable of playing Super Mario Bros at that age too, according to my mother.

I refuse to believe that a two year old could beat Wonder Boy III, however. That just sounds straight out impossible.

Peagles

For what it's worth, I've seen some young children (2-3 year old toddlers) play a game before. I mean they get the basics down and stuff usually. I was capable of playing Super Mario Bros at that age too, according to my mother.

I refuse to believe that a two year old could beat Wonder Boy III, however. That just sounds straight out impossible.

Well it did have password save after all. In some ways that makes it easier to beat than Mario because you can re-load and try again as many times as you want. I definitely put in the passwords though, that was like another challenge in itself LOL.

We still have Lion-Man vs Hawk-Man arguments... :p

As an experiment I posted a picture at the noob bridge with a samus that had things like power bombs, varia suit, etc all which you can't get til past that point. Posted "how do I get across the bridge" and I got a few people trying to help me without realizing I had waaay too much stuff to be stuck at that point.

mantidor

A variety of posts I found

CGsgN7s.jpg

That last one is awesome.

I did get stuck in many places, you guys are being a bit harsh, the noob bridge has that name for a reason.

Jucksalbe

Banned
As an experiment I posted a picture at the noob bridge with a samus that had things like power bombs, varia suit, etc all which you can't get til past that point. Posted "how do I get across the bridge" and I got a few people trying to help me without realizing I had waaay too much stuff to be stuck at that point.

What exactly were you trying to prove?

epic troll man, you showed them

le epic trole master

i bet the controller was unplugged. oldest trick in the book, yet works everytime on lil kids.

nkarafo

This reminded me of a small article on N64 magazine about some anti-gaming news on a newspaper, showing a baby playing Goldeneye and trying to convince us that this violent, addictive game has a negative effect on his life. The newspaper posted a picture of the said baby complete in diapers (looked younger that 1 year old) near a TV, holding the N64 controller in a way that is impossible to play the game and on the TV they photoshoped a screenshot from the game, showing one of the later levels.

how do you sleep at night?

How?

HOW?

Rich!

This reminded me of a small article on N64 magazine about some anti-gaming news on a newspaper, showing a baby playing Goldeneye and trying to convince us that this violent, addictive game has a negative effect on his life. The newspaper posted a picture of the said baby complete in diapers (looked younger that 1 year old) near a TV, holding the N64 controller in a way that is impossible to play the game and on the TV they photoshoped a screenshot from the game, showing one of the later levels.

Fuck me

I remember that, and I swear I have the issue somewhere. Was hilarious.

Will scan it in if I find it.

I don't understand why so many people don't look at the controls before hitting Start. The Options and Controls screen is the first thing I go to in any game I ever play.

JavyOO7

The "Y can't I crawl" post is adorable...

I can't hate. This is what Miiverse is used for, stuff like this. If my internet was working steady I'd post there to help these kids/grown ups/whatever out.

nkarafo

iirc, it was the jungle level

Might be wrong.
Found the issue. Ill scan the picture. Its a bit low res, looks like the train level (still pretty late in the game). Its also an attack about games in general, not just Goldeneye.

scan.jpg

Text is unreadable in the magazine too but i resized the image because i only want to show the pics and not the article as its not allowed here. Sorry for the off-topic but i find the idea of children so young, playing games like this, a bit unrealistic.

Peagles

Lol I remember that article! I think we even had a spot on our 6 o clock news for it.
We all had a good laugh at how he held the controller.

mantidor

Where is the noob bridge? I see you guys talking about it but i dont remember being stuck in a bridge

its the first screen in this selection?

yup that would be the one.

Forest of illusion messed me up as a kid too, finding the exit was awesome though, the rest are just.. odd, it says "The End" what are these people expecting? I'm going to go with trolling honestly.

VariantX

I don't understand why so many people don't look at the controls before hitting Start. The Options and Controls screen is the first thing I go to in any game I ever play.

I also noticed that's literally the difference between people being able to cross that bridge in brinstar and falling down. If they don't even look at the button config, they never know that there's a dash button.

Raiden

Banned
Cant hate on these kids. Alot of them probably dont have english as their first language.

I got stuck for months in Goldeneye 64 2nd level because i had no idea what to do.

Margalis

Banned
Forest thing is totally understandable. I don't remember how the game teaches you that red levels have multiple exits, but I can totally understand not knowing that.

Also why was this feature missing from NSMBU?

Wait red levels are multiple exits...I really need to pay more attention to Super Mario World (and given NSMBU lacking those that sounds like Nintendo need to as well).

the rest are just.. odd, it says "The End" what are these people expecting? I'm going to go with trolling honestly.
Most modern games you hit a button on that screen to save and/or go back to the title screen. Heck in SMB1 after your "end" you can go back try a harder quest. So I don't find that particular one odd or trolling to be fair.

oatmeal

Banned
Unfortunately I can't show you proof, we were too poor to own a video camera back then :(

He was better than me, and that is saying something. I didn't start playing til I was 4 though when my best friend got a Sega. I guess it was just a combination of being exposed at a young age, having someone to teach him (me), and being a generally intelligent and fast developing kid.

I can.

www.murphman-studios.com/movies/nintendo.mov

I was 2 1/2.

Koren

I sympathize with the forest of illusion dude. I also had trouble at that point in the game.

Yep. 2 exit scenes are a joke
With the levels on Chocolate Island where the time gives different results (and with "bad" exit preventing you to advance, too), there will be additional questions on Miiverse...

Yes, you have to search a bit, but the special exits in Forest of Illusion are quite easy to spot (especially since there's a key in those, and IIRC the key is not really hidden)

Koren

That's nice and cute ^_^ But remember, kids, in a well-lit room and far from the screen...

Some friends have a boy, and he tried videogames when they visited me. If I'm not mistaken, he was able to play correctly Densha de Go (with the Densha controller), Kororinpa and Donkey Konga at the age of 4 (he's now 6 and managed to finish Donkey Kong Crash Course in Nintendoland).

That being said, I have no trouble imaginating a 2 years old child playing the first levels of Mario successfully, finishing Super Metroid seems a bit more far-fetched...

Dai101

Banned
With the levels on Chocolate Island where the time gives different results (and with "bad" exit preventing you to advance, too), there will be additional questions on Miiverse...

Oh yeah. Fuck those too, they were fun and all that but really, they frustrated me more than once.

ChronoX

Not Super Metroid but...

nuKSFjz.png

In all fairness if your first 2D Mario game was anything this or last generation, I can see why one would find Super Mario World to be more difficult. Also I have never beaten Super Metroid. I got stuck as well but maybe not in the same part as these guys. I think I was about an hour in.

Tizoc

YOU GUYS!

SEGA! RELEASE SONIC 3 AND KNUCKLES, TAXMAN GODPORT ON WII-U!
RELEASE IT!
tumblr_lntnq9JIKo1qdtw9eo1_500.jpg

RELEASE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Eusis

Looks like Pauly beat the game
Assuming this isn't an elaborate troll (I seriously doubt it, he really did post like a kinda dumb but well meaning kid) then it may end up as proof of how Miiverse really CAN help someone get through a game that otherwise wouldn't have.

Assuming this isn't an elaborate troll (I seriously doubt it, he really did post like a kinda dumb but well meaning kid) then it may end up as proof of how Miiverse really CAN help someone get through a game that otherwise wouldn't have.

I agree. It looks like that original post wound up having 282 replies/comments and he had been asking for help throughout. I didn't follow it much, but it's pretty neat.

elektrixx

Banned
YOU GUYS!

SEGA! RELEASE SONIC 3 AND KNUCKLES, TAXMAN GODPORT ON WII-U!
RELEASE IT!
tumblr_lntnq9JIKo1qdtw9eo1_500.jpg

RELEASE IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

I had a similar situation on Super Metroid the other day with a light elevator early in the game. The room above the one where you get the morph ball ability.

xandaca

I remember this from N64 magazine.

Thank you for mentioning N64 magazine. I just had a flashback of Jes Bickham and James Ashton 'recreating' GoldenEye on the streets of Bath and laughed for a good minute. Such fond childhood memories of that magazine...

the noob bridge has that name for a reason.
I can't understand why people have problems with that bridge.
First thing I do in every game and everyone should do it - check what every button does. Then you know that there's run button and on the bridge you realize that you gotta go fast.

edit: shit, I was reading few threads at once and hadn't noticed that this one is pretty old

Top Bottom