• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 1 & 2 HD (Wii U) screenshots

Until proven otherwise, yes.

Show me the quality of Uncharted 3 and we will talk.

Wow.

I understand the Wii U isn't going to look as good as the PS4/Infinite but you cannot honestly believe that the Wii U isn't going to have games that are going to look better than what the PS3 can do. That's just being stupid.

Do you *honestly* think the Wii U has less power than the PS3?
Of course not, but that doesn't mean that they're equal in all areas. The ps3 just might be better suited to running ports like this. IIRC the ps2 had ports of dream cast games that didn't run as well either and we all know the ps2 was more powerful overall. We can't just attribute this to "lazy developers"

Do you *honestly* think the Wii U has less power than the PS3?

There's no question it's less powerful in at least a couple of areas. RAM bandwidth for one.

But of course we don't know the exact specs of the Wii U because Nintendo won't release them, which may be a smart PR move but it in turn fucks over third party developers. So instead of blaming developers for being "lazy," how about you direct that blame towards Nintendo for creating this situation in the first place?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Graphics comparisons of HD remasters based on 800 × 450 images? Only on Kotaku!

Unless these are in HD form somewhere, then carry on...

There's no question it's less powerful in at least a couple of areas. RAM bandwidth for one.

But of course we don't know the exact specs of the Wii U because Nintendo won't release them, which may be a smart PR move but it in turn fucks over third party developers. So instead of blaming developers for being "lazy," how about you direct that blame towards Nintendo for creating this situation in the first place?
What would developers do differently if they knew an additional number or two? They still need to test real world performance either way. Not every CPU performs the same on the same clocks or whatever.

Kimawolf

So would you say the PS4 is less powerful than the PS3 due to the Cell being so beastly?

Gannd

Banned

Show me a game on the PS3 that looks like Uncharted 3 and isn't a closed linear "cinematic experience". Uncharted is so shallow the graphics aren't impressive to me at all. Small game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Graphics comparisons of HD remasters based on 800px × 450 images? Only on Kotaku!

Unless these are in HD form somewhere...

Even so you can't miss the lesser textures. You can't mask that with blur especially when the images are clear enough to make that comparison.

Uncharted pot shots? Ok.

Alexios

Even so you can't miss the lesser textures. You can't mask that with blur especially when the images are clear enough to make that comparison.
Maybe lesser texture filtering, not lesser textures, and yes you can miss it depending on how they re sized and compressed the images since they're clearly not native res. Otherwise it wouldn't be a HD release.

qko

But Iwata is in charge now, surely things will change on that front right? right?

You'd think if Iwata was being all chummy with Nagoshi showing the excitement of this being released in Japan, he might want to show the same excitement to localize it for NA? I hope so.

Rolf NB

Graphics comparisons of HD remasters based on 800px × 450 images? Only on Kotaku!

Unless these are in HD form somewhere...
Kotaku's popup image viewer shows them in 1200x700 ...

It's good enough to discern that the PS3 version runs in higher resolution. Probably 1080p vs 720p. Texture assets seem exactly equal. Any apparent texture blur in the Wii U version is probably caused by lower resolution, especially on inclined surfaces.

E.g. look at the ground texture in the big street overview shot. It's completely equivalent at the bottom. But if you let your eyes wander off the white sideline on the right sight, behind the first lady, you see blur kicking in on the Wii U shot.
Super-long story short: downsampling from a higher render resolution not only produces edge AA, but also AF.

So, texture sharpness distribution is the second indicator for higher res on PS3, while at the same time the equivalent sharpness on oblique and very close surfaces suggests equal texture assets.

crinale

Those are original images from 4gamer. They are both 1080P

WiiU:
5tqTlMk.jpg

PS3:
I2tHVFd.jpg

Ridley327

I play the game, I see the dead online. You can't fool me with nonsense PR talk. It hasn't even outsold the shitty pack in title at retail. Wii U owners, you suck.

There's about 2500 people on right now. That's not dead at all.

Unless your metric for liveliness is COD on 360 numbers, in which case, what the hell is wrong with you.

I play the game, I see the dead online. You can't fool me with nonsense PR talk. It hasn't even outsold the shitty pack in title at retail. Wii U owners, you suck.
It's actually IR talk, not PR talk. At retail it's done around 60-70k US in Mar/Apr and is one of the better performing retail games digitally in the west (probably due to early supply constraints). Not amazing numbers, but it's likely already outsold every Yakuza game ever released in the west.

Alexios

That's awfully low for being the only good game on the console.
Huh?

The numbers don't seem far removed from the best times of Tri which sold great (and was pirated). Not that I think the Wii U game sold as good but the population certainly doesn't indicate bad sales contrary to your claim.

iMerc

monster hunter did great in japan in relation the system's user base.

i have yakuza 2 on ps2. will buy this compilation if the price is right.

Mileena

Banned
MH1 on the PS2 was lucky to get 1000 on a good day.

It's a niche game, dude; always has been and always will be.
Not the best comparison. When MH1 came out I had never heard of the series, now MH3U is one of my favorite games. Like comparing CoD1 players to Black Ops 2. No doubt the series is far more popular now than when MH1 came out.

Alexios

Not the best comparison. When MH1 came out I had never heard of the series, now MH3U is one of my favorite games. Like comparing CoD1 players to Black Ops 2. No doubt the series is far more popular now than when MH1 came out.
Based on what? Yes, it's more popular in Japan, offline, no, it's not that much more popular in the West, with the Wii game selling the best yet, getting pirated on top, and still not having many more concurrent players.

Dunno what your point is anymore. Wii U doesn't even have that many owners to blame them for any hypothetical lack of sales.

Wouldn't surprise me if the game looks worse as Sega probably had like 3 guys port this because its going to sell like 15k, but we should wait for more high quality footage

What would developers do differently if they knew an additional number or two? They still need to test real world performance either way. Not every CPU performs the same on the same clocks or whatever.

Obviously but it does mean they could get quicker results, as they'd have a much better idea of what they're working on from the very beginning, instead of stumbling around in the dark at first. It's not exactly a help, is it?

To me, the lack of such a simple and easy piece of documentation just illustrates where Nintendo's priorities are: Nintendo above all others. If they cared about third party support, they would have done the same thing Sony's been doing with the PS4. Gather feedback from developers and try to design the most developer friendly system you can.

So would you say the PS4 is less powerful than the PS3 due to the Cell being so beastly?

In terms of that one aspect? Sure, when used properly. But the PS4 is so much more powerful in other areas that it's completely irrelevant, whereas you can't say the same thing about the Wii U and PS3. So I assume you're fine with conceding that the Cell is far superior to the Wii U's CPU then?

Alexios

Obviously but it does mean they could get quicker results, as they'd have a much better idea of what they're working on from the very beginning, instead of stumbling around in the dark at first. It's not exactly a help, is it?
It wouldn't be a help regardless. People know to shoot for roughly PS360 level with potential for better shaders, textures, etc thanks to known specs. Anything else needs real world tests regardless of numbers.

And of course a budget if one is to fully explore and exploit vs doing a quick port that may end up either way on any system depending on who is doing it and with what kind of resources available.

The system just doesn't align with most 3rd parties' idea of what they want to do in the next gen just as the Wii didn't align with that either. Did they put more effort on that knowing the specs?

No, not for the most part, not in a significant way that you can't give its actual mainstream success as a reason for. An additional number wouldn't change that for Wii U.

IrishNinja

ah, at least the later pics werent so bad

Ahh, I see. It's another lazy port.

honestly, there's not gonna be a whole helluva lot've effort here beyond getting it on the tablet, sadly
i'd happily buy this if it was localized, seeing as how the PS3 version might every easily be lost in the generational shift

Why Yakuza and not another SEGA series like Jet Set Radio? Too much sense?

because JSR just got an HD port on nearly every system, and Yakuza's awesome? might also wanna test the waters on the franchise with a new community, JSR's a classic but let's not pretend it's a series now

not to pile on here, but for better or worse, i think we can start talking when the real first party offerings show up - PS3 looked kinda assy its first year out too, wasnt till UC1 i was personally impressed

not all of us wanna hunt monsters much meng

klee123

Well, I suppose any support is better than no support I guess.

Can't see thing doing anything other than poor worldwide though.

Top Bottom