• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 3 | Official Thre

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Vard said:
Not 100% confirmed but the trophy for it is absent. The pessimists believe that means it's cut, while the optimists believe it's still in but SEGA just didn't want players to have to learn mahjong (& shogi) to get all the trophies.
This is what I'm hoping, I spent 20 minutes reading the manual in Y2.
Then again, and again and again....

I just don't get it. And I want to!

jaekwon15 said:
is it confirmed whether March 9th is the NA ship date or release date?

Well Gamestop called me letting me know FF13 will be available on Tuesday, but no mention of Yakuza; I'm fearing for the worse, and that it'll be in stores Wednesday =(

hamchan

Aurelius

I’m also really looking forward to this game. Thehut.com shipped my order yesterday so it should hopefully reach me at the end of the week. I loved Yakuza 1, and although I bought Yakuza 2 I’ve never played it (PS2 was already in storage).

But this is the first game that I’m hyped for despite the marketing efforts and decisions from Sega. It’s like they are doing their best to not sell me this game.

I never played a Yakuza game until I played the demo for 3 and I found it to be pretty fun. I'm interested in how the game progresses though. Does the combat open up further into the game? I don't mean like those finishing moves, I mean core combat.

The karaoke mini game was wayyy too much fun.

ElyrionX

Never played a Yakuza game before and I just tried the demo.

On one hand, the game is really goofy and unpolished. The animations are terrible and the combat and the gameplay mechanics feel like something from the PS1 days. In this day and age of HD graphics and surround sound and movie-like experiences, it's kind of strange to see games still using text bubbles with no spoken dialog and even transitioning between cut-scenes with and without dialogue. It feels almost surreal.

On the other hand, it feel strangely fun and addictive and the game has the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics that only a Japanese dev can dream up and it's a pretty nice break from the typical blockbuster Western games that have come to dominate the Western gaming industry in recent years.

I'm not sure what to think.

Vard

Scythesurge said:
I'm interested in how the game progresses though. Does the combat open up further into the game? I don't mean like those finishing moves, I mean core combat.

Yea, you learn a lot of new moves and combos as you gain experience. In the second one it shows your completion ranking for learned moves, and I think there were about 130 or so total that you could learn. I imagine the number has gone up for the 3rd.

Vard said:
Yea, you learn a lot of new moves and combos as you gain experience. In the second one it shows your completion ranking for learned moves, and I think there were about 130 or so total that you could learn. I imagine the number has gone up for the 3rd.
Oh wow, that makes me a lot more interested in the game. If only I had more time :(

androvsky

Well, someone from the Netherlands got a copy early and is posting some impressions on gamefaqs. Apparently there's 16 minigames in the completion list, compared to 20 in the Japanese version. So that covers mahjong, shogi, AnswerxAnswer... does the massage parlor count as a minigame?

And if it does count as a minigame, does that mean they cut mahjong and shogi but kept hanafuda?

edit:
Looks like you can go into the mahjong and shogi buildings, but can't actually talk to anyone.

Well Amazon have dispatched my FFXIII order but not Y3. Their delivery estimate seems to be next week, but they were saying the same thing about Heavy Rain, they estimated tomorrow, but I got it last Friday. I'm desparately hoping the same will happen here. God knows when I'll get around to playing it, but I just want to possess it, to finally have it be real.

If theyve cut out the massage parlour, that would seem to suggest this wasn't a budget or time thing at all but some content nazi's decision on whats best for an american version, since the massage parlour has a trifling amount of translation work required, hardly any at all and is a complete basic mini-game.

To people that have just tried the demo, keep in mind that this game is an action RPG more than anything. It resembles an action game in a lot of ways, but you level up, explore, do side quests, and you can grind from random encounters.

Rather than comparing the battle system to other action games, you have to look at it from an RPG perspective. As an action game, the battle system is pretty good. As an RPG, the battle system is the best you can find.

I love these games.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The game never had an 'official street date' so I bet the shipments are all wonky like when Afrika was shipping to different places on different dates.

Sometime this week Sega! Argh!

Oozinator

Banned
dallow_bg said:
The game never had an 'official street date' so I bet the shipments are all wonky like when Afrika was shipping to different places on different dates.

Sometime this week Sega! Argh!
on the US official website it says "Shipping March 9th" while on the UK version it's "OUT 12 March"

My copy of this shipped from TheHut with FF13 on Friday, FF13 came today, but I guess TheHut used second class postage for Yakuza 3 as release day is Friday... Hopefully get it tomorrow.

FF13 was sent with 1st class.

Drahcir

Did anyone else pre-order from Amazon? The shipping date on the Yakuza 3 page on Amazon says March 9th, but when I pre-ordered it last week, the page where you review your order before you submit it said estimated ship date March 15th! I did select the Free Shipping option but I don't ever recall a pre-order shipping out almost a week after release with that shipping option. Too bad it didn't have the Release Day shipping option.

vocab

Drahcir said:
Did anyone else pre-order from Amazon? The shipping date on the Yakuza 3 page on Amazon says March 9th, but when I pre-ordered it last week, the page where you review your order before you submit it said estimated ship date March 15th! I did select the Free Shipping option but I don't ever recall a pre-order shipping out almost a week after release with that shipping option. Too bad it didn't have the Release Day shipping option.

Don't waste your money on release day shipping period. When Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2 came out, I used free shipping, and I got it the next day for free. The estimate ship date is so off it's hilarious.

ElyrionX said:
Never played a Yakuza game before and I just tried the demo.

On one hand, the game is really goofy and unpolished. The animations are terrible and the combat and the gameplay mechanics feel like something from the PS1 days. In this day and age of HD graphics and surround sound and movie-like experiences, it's kind of strange to see games still using text bubbles with no spoken dialog and even transitioning between cut-scenes with and without dialogue. It feels almost surreal.

On the other hand, it feel strangely fun and addictive and the game has the atmosphere and gameplay mechanics that only a Japanese dev can dream up and it's a pretty nice break from the typical blockbuster Western games that have come to dominate the Western gaming industry in recent years.

I'm not sure what to think.

I've played Yakuza 2 and Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan (which sadly won't be available here. The story was awesome!!!). Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan still had the trappings of the PS2 era. I would have loved full fledged audio dialog, but you take what you get. All sega has really added is more mini games and some minor additions to combat (Kenzan was obviously different due to the time period). The strength of the series will always be it's story with it's twist and turns.

As far as the hostess club stuff, it sucks that it's not in there. But seriosuly, I lost tons of money spending time in those clubs with those women to no avail in Yakuza 2. Even though there is an option to date them outside and get some action if you answer the right questions, you will spend loads of money to get there. If you really think about the concept of those clubs, it's really strange to people outside of Japan. It's like prostitution without the sex. Why even bother? But it is a staple of Japanese culture and they should have left it in the game regardless of whether we fully understand it or not.

Fodder76

LiK said:
Gamestop emailed me the preorder bonus code for the Challenge pack already. pretty quick.

I just got mine too, but I've not yet received any shipping confirmation. Has anyone that ordered from GS? I hate buying from them but I did it this time because of the $5 off and the extra Challenge Pack, so I don't know how speedy they are about getting new releases out.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Gots my code to! How does it work? Do I enter like I would a PSN card? Should I wait until I get the game to do the installation and then download the challenge stuff? I guess the game will ship on wednesday and be at my door thursday like how S&SASR and Lunar were the past two weeks.

Edgeward

Lindsay said:
Gots my code to! How does it work? Do I enter like I would a PSN card? Should I wait until I get the game to do the installation and then download the challenge stuff? I guess the game will ship on wednesday and be at my door thursday like how S&SASR and Lunar were the past two weeks.

Yes, enter it like a psn card code. Don't know if installing it before doing a game install affects it, if anything.

LiK

Lindsay said:

you can redeem the code and d/l now and just install it. when you get the game, it should work like all other types of DLC.

i just checked my GS account online. it's not shipped yet either. maybe i should just cancel now and order it from amazon instead, lol....

edit: o wait, i got free overnight shipping so i better not cancel...hehehe

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Edgeward said:
Yes, enter it like a psn card code. Don't know if installing it before doing a game install affects it, if anything.
LiK said:
you can redeem the code and d/l now and just install it. when you get the game, it should work like all other types of DLC.

Thanks! I never got a dlc before so idk how it works hehe. Is it a really big file? I already had to clear out space for the install =_= plus theres also dlc codes that come in the game box right? I hope I don't have to clean the fridge again!

chifanpoe

I called my GS, they told me it would be at the store on Wednesday. Kind of a bummer was just going to pick up FF13 and it tomorrow... now two trips needed :(

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
dallow_bg said:
You can download it now, it's just an unlock file at 100kb.

Wow really thats all? All of the dlc must already be on the disc then. Thats one localization change I can approve of!

I'm currently finishing up the first game and quite enjoying it despite it's flaws. I'll then be unwrapping the second game and playing that through (I bought it almost a year and a half ago :lol ). I expect to finally crack the package of Yakuza 3 in about 3 weeks but I'll be picking up my pre-ordered copy this week. I have a feeling it's going to be a fairly rare game.

By the way - how much of an improvement can I expect on the second game vs the original?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Lindsay said:
Wow really thats all? All of the dlc must already be on the disc then. Thats one localization change I can approve of!
Yeah, since the DLC was delivered as patches in Japan, it's likely it's all built in already.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
CloakedPuppet said:
Shit-yeah! :D
Haha, yeah, that's all you pretty much need to know.

Lots of the quirks are fixed in the second, combat much improved. Definitely better than the first, you should play it.

I wanted to use my best buy gift card to get this game and it seems for some reason that none of the best buys in Los Angeles will be receiving this title tomorrow. WTF Sega? They are really sending this title out to die.

shwimpy

Loudninja said:
For a game that could well have been overlooked for a Western release entirely, the removal of a few minor elements, while frustrating, is a small price to pay. What remains is a relentlessly enjoyable action-RPG, which offers a unique insight into Japanese culture despite its exaggerations. The Western version of Yakuza 3 might have suffered a few heartbreaking cuts, but it's still intriguing at every turn and shouldn't be missed.

Can't fucking wait!

Miburou

Well, got my bro to try the demo, so hopefully now he'll buy it.

I would replay the game in English, except part 4 is out next week, so I'll be busy with that instead. :D

dallow_bg said:
Haha, yeah, that's all you pretty much need to know.

Lots of the quirks are fixed in the second, combat much improved. Definitely better than the first, you should play it.

Oh - I definitely plan to. It'll be hard resisting playing the 3rd game but I know I'll enjoy it that much more when I get to it.

Top Bottom