• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |HOPE for Western Release?| Can we make some noise?

Xhorder

On a positive note: Sega did report an income jump for the first quarter of it's fiscal year. So it seems they have money they can spend.

A digital only release for Yakuza 5 could be something they are willing to risk. How much have the other games sold in the west, it wasn't that bad, right (except for Dead Souls)?

Source: Polygon

JoeFenix

I wonder how long a game like this would take to localize if this Rainfall thing ends up panning out.

Definitely would be a 2014 release at this point.

Yawnier

Banned
I wonder how long a game like this would take to localize if this Rainfall thing ends up panning out.

Definitely would be a 2014 release at this point.

No idea, but it definitely would be a 2014 release if they were to just start localization this month or next.

Astarte

I'm glad Yakuza 5 has a healthy lead, but I still don't know why rainfall would let the voting to last so long.

Meant Japanese, don't know why I typed translated :s
How bout the driving?

So far its all been real easy to understand for me. I have a google translated Japanese Wiki guide that sums everything up nicely (bar the story) so gameplay wise I've not had any issues so far.

They don't need to announce a localization at TGS, but it's possible they're going to announce one during TGS.
Even if the event itself is in Japan, focused on Japanese games a lot of western people interested in Japanese games would be with their eyes fixed on the internet searching for news.

They would be sure to reach a vaster audience even announcing it with the usual blog post, so it's a possibility.

Haledos

Banned
So far its all been real easy to understand for me. I have a google translated Japanese Wiki guide that sums everything up nicely (bar the story) so gameplay wise I've not had any issues so far.

Well, that's cool I suppose. At least I have a backup if Sega ends up fucking us over.

klee123

Sorry to bump this, but personally I think at this point, another publisher should try to have a shot of the translation. I distinctly remember at one point that Atlus was interested, but this was before the Y3 western release was announced.

The only problem was that Sega sat on the series like a bunch of selfish pricks and didn't want anyone else to touch the series.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sorry to bump this, but personally I think at this point, another publisher should try to have a shot of the translation. I distinctly remember at one point that Atlus was interested, but this was before the Y3 western release was announced.

The only problem was that Sega sat on the series like a bunch of selfish pricks and didn't want anyone else to touch the series.

They did, and it apparently bomba'ed. Of course, they also probably don't want to have a situation where something they do license away turns into a big hit and they can't get any money from it.

Yawnier

Banned
Thought I would bump this seeing as voting in the poll should come to a closing fairly soon seeing as we are sort of reaching the end of summer, and to also say that Yakuza 5 is in the lead by about ~2000 votes in the operation rainfall poll. Which is a healthy lead I think.

That is all. Poll closes Sept 27th according to an update.

Link

cj_iwakura

Should just close it now and get it over with.

Maybe Sega could do a facebook interest poll like they did for Project Diva? Might not get nearly as devout a turnout though, Yakuza's more cult(and that's saying something).

Eusis

Maybe Sega could do a facebook interest poll like they did for Project Diva? Might not get nearly as devout a turnout though, Yakuza's more cult(and that's saying something).
I'll be surprised if that had a serious impact on the localization decision, if anything I'd kind of expect the inverse meaning they did to validate themselves, not to test the waters.

Contacting this guy might do more good than that poll

Moments ago, Adam Boyes introduced the latest addition to the Third Party Relations family at Playstation, a new group that I get to captain called Third Party Production. The Third Party Relations team at PlayStation is well known for developing solid relationships across this industry, and this new group will work closely with our publishing partners to bring their beloved IPs to some new places. This means you’ll see even more great games on PlayStation platforms, including new IP’s, ports, and localized products. In addition, our partners who are currently in production will have us as a resource to strengthen their development process, ensuring quality and consistency on all Third Party projects.

I will share more with you as our adventures continue and new games are made available. In the meantime, let me know in the comments what you want to see on PlayStation (PS3, PS4, PS Vita). Or contact me on Twitter through the ingenious and mesmerizing handle of @giocorsi — original I know, but man is it solid.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...-playstation-via-third-party-production-team/

Sorry to bump this, but personally I think at this point, another publisher should try to have a shot of the translation...

imo, that publisher should be sony. this series just gets better, gameplay-wise, & better looking with each release. sony passing on the yakuza series is reminiscent of their passing on demon's souls - they don't seem to see the quality, & the potential...

unless, of course, it actually is just sega making unreasonable demands / being fucked-up :) ...

^ I saw that some gaffers earlier tweeted that guy about Y5, hopefully it does some good.

There are also quite a few people asking for Yakuza in the comment section of that blog. Even though i'm biased, I think Y5 should take priority over most games considering that it's part of an going series where the story connects from one game to the next. Missing out on a chapter is pretty annoying. Especially one as big as this one.

Coxy

not like their facebook polls are worth a shit, still waiting on mah Guardian Heroes

There are also quite a few people asking for Yakuza in the comment section of that blog. Even though i'm biased, I think Y5 should take priority over most games considering that it's part of an going series where the story connects from one game to the next. Missing out on a chapter is pretty annoying. Especially one as big as this one.

not to mention, it's as high quality a game, production-wise, as just about anything else available...

Yawnier

Banned

Yep, I fully agree.

yami4ct

Which is true but TGS ain't what it use to be.

This year, TGS is more relevant than usual. With the big console launches coming down the pipe and Japan has had very little next-gen titles focused on their territory announced, it's a safe bet a lot of that is holding for TGS. I could easily see Sony pushing out Yakuza as a part of a big "exclusive to Playstation push". Put it up there with Puppeteer, Gran Turismo 5, Beyond and maybe a couple other titles and it'll be a good little PS3 section. Now, that's not a sure bet but it's a better bet than usual.

DeVeAn

Are we going back to the 16-bit days of imports? Why are so many Japanese titles simply not coming over to the West? This is driving me crazy since most of what I want happens to be Japanese.

Yakuza Ishin would make me get a PS4 ASAP!!!

Eusis

Are we going back to the 16-bit days of imports? Why are so many Japanese titles simply not coming over to the West? This is driving me crazy since most of what I want happens to be Japanese.

Yakuza Ishin would make me get a PS4 ASAP!!!
A combination of that market shrinking or not growing as fast as western games did, and the fact a lot of these games are way more localization intensive, we NEVER saw anything with scripts the size of Yakuza's or Trails in the Sky in the 16-bit days because nothing but a CD rom could even hold them.

Though it really, REALLY doesn't help that a few of the companies that are relatively reliable in those days now aren't, Square Enix the worst by far.

contacted that dude begging for some Yakuza, I did the best I could voted back than too for some Yakuza Sega just hates us ;;;(

I hope so.

I ordered the Japanese version and translated all the parts I didn't know with a notepad and dictionary. I would REALLY prefer to finish it with the translating already done :)

R.I.P

SEGA ‏@SEGA 2h
Join us at @NY_Comic_Con for a Panel w. Kikuchi-san, Exec. Prod. of the Yakuza series! Learn how to win merch at http://bit.ly/seganycc

So could this mean anything?

tumblr_inline_mtlfrsuiO41qlbkes.gif

j/k, not going to get my hopes up :(

SEGA ‏@SEGA 2h
Join us at @NY_Comic_Con for a Panel w. Kikuchi-san, Exec. Prod. of the Yakuza series! Learn how to win merch at http://bit.ly/seganycc

So could this mean anything?

is anyone here going? it would be certainly be interesting to hear what they'll talk about at the panel. If anyone here is going, hope they ask about Y5...and maybe about Valkyria Chronicles 3 (put it on Vita!) or even PSO2.

Hmm... is that Yakuza guy working on any other games for Sega right now that he might be there representing?

Don't want to get too excited here.

Hmm... is that Yakuza guy working on any other games for Sega right now that he might be there representing?

Don't want to get too excited here.

He's working on Ishin right now. He seems to work for the Yakuza team specifically now, so the only other recent game he worked on was Binary Domain.

Top Bottom