• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 |OT| Rage Your Dreams

Conezays

Started this a few days ago end enjoying so far.

One question regarding the controls though, are the taxi/related sections essentially impossible to do well in with a Dual Shock 4? I can't seem to avoid things like sudden braking, acceleration, etc.

Those are done by slowly taking pressure off/slowly putting pressure on the trigger buttons. I don't know if playing with a DS4 still allows that.

Conezays

Those are done by slowly taking pressure off/slowly putting pressure on the trigger buttons. I don't know if playing with a DS4 still allows that.

Thanks, I figured. Is that stuff mainly relegated to side content though? I'd prefer to use the DS4 but if it renders lots of the game unplayable then I'l grab the DS3 from the closet.

Thanks, I figured. Is that stuff mainly relegated to side content though? I'd prefer to use the DS4 but if it renders lots of the game unplayable then I'l grab the DS3 from the closet.
I think it's only the side stuff that relies on that.

But playing a Yakuza game without playing the side stuff is like eating a sandwich without the bread IMO.

aravuus

Yeah, play the taxi quests with a DS3. It has some amazing stuff in it.

Everything else can be played just fine with a DS4 as far as I know.

Conezays

Thanks for the suggestions.

Into Part 2 now and quite enjoying it. This is surely the best looking PS3 Yakuza title, eh? Kind of surprised at how good some of the locations and faces look, barring some minor framerate hiccups thus far. Thought it would be a bit tough going from Yakuza 0 earlier in the year to this, but no issues for me.

Amusing Part 2 spoilers:

A snowmobile chase into a fight with a bear? Only this series, lol.

This series is something special.

But yeah, Yakuza 5 really is the PS3 game where they SIGNIFICANTLY upped their facial animation game. Yakuza 0 and Yakuza: Ishin on the PS3 are no slouches either, but because they also have PS4 versions, they get overshadowed.

Going from Y0 to Y5 isn't an issue, it's the PS2 games where the real issues arise. And now we've got remakes so that's not an issue!!

Conezays

This series is something special.

But yeah, Yakuza 5 really is the PS3 game where they SIGNIFICANTLY upped their facial animation game. Yakuza 0 and Yakuza: Ishin on the PS3 are no slouches either, but because they also have PS4 versions, they get overshadowed.

Going from Y0 to Y5 isn't an issue, it's the PS2 games where the real issues arise. And now we've got remakes so that's not an issue!!

For sure, lots to praise in the series. Hey, I even had a soft spot for Dead Souls :p 5 is the only one I hadn't played, barring the Japanese-only ones which I have waiting on my shelf.

A snowmobile chase into a fight with a bear? Only this series, lol.

Your underselling that bit. Don't forget the massive prison brawl and subsequent breakout of said prison. The series certainly doesn't do anything in half measures!

And yeah, the game looks excellent for the most part. I also had some minor frame rate issues here and there (nothing too annoying) and the texturing at certain points was pretty bad. But at the same time there are some really pretty moments in the game...

Conezays

Your underselling that bit. Don't forget the massive prison brawl and subsequent breakout of said prison. The series certainly doesn't do anything in half measures!

And yeah, the game looks excellent for the most part. I also had some minor frame rate issues here and there (nothing too annoying) and the texturing at certain points was pretty bad. But at the same time there are some really pretty moments in the game...

Hah, fair enough. I've really enjoyed
Saejima's
sections in both 4 and 5. They both offer different gameplay scenarios and vibe, etc. Not all of it's amazing in either game, but I appreciate the change in scenery and design.

GutsOfThor

Holy fuck, Saejima's part of the game is absolutely terrible. I'm thinking I may just have to read or watch a synopsis of what happens after because playing through this shit is pure torture.

Top Bottom