• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 6 is coming to the west

Haha I have no idea how someone can think like that...

- its a Yakuza game. Set in the 80's. THE 80'S...
- Kiryu and Majima are main characters... MAJIMA
- its Tokyo... IN THE FUCKING 80'S
- its Yakuza.

I'm almost more hyped for Yakuza 0 than 6, and I'm so so happy that we have a good 2-3 years of constant Yakuza content.
It's Kamurocho again, maybe it's just me though.

stn

With 6 coming west I don't feel bad about not buying 0 right away.
I'd honestly recommend buying any Yak game right on release even if you don't intend to play it right away. We're lucky to be getting everything West, I imagine every extra full price sale counts.

BBboy20

CyxcCwrUoAAeGN4.jpg:large
So...um...any plans on getting 2-5 on PS4 between that time frame?

IrishNinja

god, this is the best day since shenmue III got announced last year

for real, i felt confident about 6 after we saw 0 (physical no less!), but Kiwami was an outside hope that has me so very happy, that means the only one slipping through the cracks was Ishin, which is a shame but predictable at least.

this should really help keep momentum here in the west going, and i'm so hoping this year's JP chapter is a kiwami-like redo of part 2, so everyone can easily play the main series!

Awesome news!

I still need to play 5, but I'll get to it, and get Kiwami eventually. 6 looks awesome though, will definitely check it out eventually.

hamchan

It's crazy that we'll actually have Kiryu's whole story in English. Back during the time of Yakuza 2/3 I thought this series was pretty much done. Thanks to the creators and the fans for making this happen. Looking forward to so much Yakuza.

Squishy3

I really really hope the New Japan wrestlers make it over.

Fuck it, tweeted Gio about it. Maybe he can at least point me to someone who'd be able to answer that question

Peroroncino

Fingers crossed that people will actually buy it on release or digitally down the line and show Sega the series can thrive in the west.

I'll probably have nightmares tonight about Y0 doing so bad that they're cancelling 6 -.-

If you're like me and ignored the vast amount of Y6 footage because it might be 5 years off, check out the gameplay (overview) trailer.
So much amazing stuff in there. New location, too!

https://youtu.be/RYJ8V-K6lKE?t=12m28s
(link skips first 12 min story stuff)
dat 100 vs 100 gang battle
dat indoor destruction
dat cat befriending
dat live sex chat
dat shark fighting

hamchan

I guess this is also telling that they must have been happy with 5's sales and 0's pre-order numbers? Because two Yakuza games announced is nuts.

Jimrpg

If you're like me and ignored the vast footage of Y6 because it might be 5 years off, check out the gameplay (overview) trailer.
So much amazing stuff in there. New location, too!

https://youtu.be/RYJ8V-K6lKE?t=12m28s
(link skips first 12 min story stuff)
dat 100 vs 100 gang battle
dat indoor destruction
dat cat befriending
dat live sex chat
dat shark fighting

There's a lot of new stuff in 6, that i haven't seen... Jesus if they even get half of that stuff in and done properly it'll be incredible. Things like alleyways and little nook and crannies, fighting inside shops looks amazing, the gang warfare, even just the fighting looks HUGELY improved from 5, looks like a lot less response time between animations and has a number of crowd clearing moves.

Do we know if Y6 will be multiple characters again like Y4 and Y5 or will it be entirely Kiryu?

Never played a Yakuza game. Are they really good?

If you like brawlers (streets of rage) and (japanese) crime stories you'll like Yakuza. All the mini games are icing on the cake (some might say the cake).

boingball

Thanks to Sony bringing over Yakuza 5 Sega is now in full-out Yakuza for the West mode again. Yakuza 0, Yakuza 1 Remastered and Yakuza 6. I am happy but also worried that that is too much and Sega's expectation will not be fulfilled. I hope I am wrong. Will buy all three of them day 1.

The best two cities.
I completely agree.

Never played a Yakuza game. Are they really good?
Nah, they are not good. They are phenomenal. Read the first two posts in here to get a pretty good idea what this series is all about and why everyone should play it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319598

Sotenbori is in 0? I guess that'd make sense considering Majima. In that case I may push up my purchase. I really like the vibe of that city.
Yes, it is. And from what we've seen in the trailers and walkthroughs it looks absolutely amazing. Though the 80s Kamurocho looks just as stunning if not even more beautiful.

Zambatoh

The Yakuza 6 'previously on Yakuza' video gonna be like 2 tbs at this point

6's demo indicates that they've done away with these entirely and replaced them with text summaries.

Also for those who don't know, 5's ending actually bleeds into 6's story. So if you haven't played it already, get to it!

Jimm

New to the series. This is great!

I'll start with Zero (prequel) then play Kiwami if I like it, then I'll track down the rest!

epmode

Is the plot in Yakuza games actually good? Or is it more about the combat and zany mini games?

They don't really have a good plot but the characters are great and SUPER SERIOUS tone of the main missions contrasts with the nonsense so perfectly. The cutscenes are incredibly well produced too.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
No. But even if they did it would be difficult to track down right about now going by my past experience with the earlier titles.

Ah well. I've got 1, 2, 3 & 4 and kind of held off in the hopes that we'd get 1&2 HD remake before plunging back in to it again. Y0 hit that itch and is forcing me to buy a PS4.

However Kiwami getting announced with Y6 is superb. Would kill for a similar treatment for Y2.

Is the plot in Yakuza games actually good? Or is it more about the combat and zany mini games?

The PS2 ones have better stories than the PS3 ones because they switched writers, but the characters are always good. They just have some dumb plot twists.

FEkHrQv.gif

I'm hoping they're going to re-translate the script for Kiwami to bring it more in line with the original Japanese script. Yakuza 1's English script is so try-hard edgy, straight out of Sega's Shadow the Hedgehog era; the characters talk like teenagers trying to spite their parents who don't let them swear at home. It's so out of place next to every other game in the series.

I actually don't really like Yakuza 1, but I think it's mostly because of that awful localisation and the technical shortcomings of the PS2 version. I can't wait to get my hands on Kiwami and try it again.

Past

This is the biggest news that came out of PSX yet there's such a small amount of posts. Most of the replies are from the same dozen or so hardcore Yakuza fans that are in every Yakuza threads too, so sad. :(

Hesh

Sweet Jesus, I was crossing my fingers for Yakuza 6 already, but I had no idea Kiwami was even being considered. This is wonderful news.

IrishNinja

This is the biggest news that came out of PSX yet there's such a small amount of posts. Most of the replies are from the same dozen or so hardcore Yakuza fans that are in every Yakuza threads too, so sad. :(

we're spreading the gospel as best we can, man! the number grows everyday...i told john hardin, we know it's a niche series but there's a lot of room for growth here, i honestly think an action beat-em-up RPG in the vein of River City Ransom, SOR etc has way more appeal here in the west than it's caught so far, hoping to see more love!

Are there any sales numbers for 5 in the west? It must have been pretty substantial to justfy two more localizations.

well, we got 0's announcement first, and with a physical too! so yeah, while i feel pretty confident 5 only happened with it did with sony's help, all the magic that happened today is painting a great picture for the series out here going forward...we just really have to make sure to capitalize on it!

Top Bottom