• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yasuke (Anime) | Season One Out Now

AfricanKing

In a war-torn feudal Japan filled with mechs and magic, the greatest ronin never known, Yasuke, struggles to maintain a peaceful existence after a past life of violence. But when a local village becomes the center of social upheaval between warring daimyo, Yasuke must take up his sword and transport a mysterious child who is the target of dark forces and bloodthirsty warlords.

Reviews :

Rogerebert - https://www.rogerebert.com/streaming/netflixs-yasuke-is-a-bloody-history-trip

In 1579, a Black slave arrived in Japan with an Italian Jesuit missionary. Awestruck by his black skin, daimyō Oda Nobunaga, a Japanese feudal lord, acquired him as a servant under the belief ink covered his body. The two formed a quick bond, and Nobunaga bestowed the name “Yasuke” to him. Yasuke rose from servant to nobleman to samurai. Through a series of gruesome campaigns, which witnessed untold slaughter, Nobunaga worked to unite Japan. The 6’ 2” Yasuke accompanied Nobunaga on his travels, but following the feudal lord’s suicide, a death precipitated by a coup, Yasuke disappeared from the history books.

New York Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/28/arts/television/yasuke-review-netflix.html

A partial list of the marvels in Netflix’s samurai anime series “Yasuke” includes sorcerers, a shape-shifting woman-bear, astral-plane duels and giant robots in feudal-era Japan. But the novelty that its characters are most surprised to encounter is a Black man who speaks Japanese.

Yasuke (Lakeith Stanfield, “Judas and the Black Messiah”) is a real-life figure, an African who in the 1500s served under the shogun Nobunaga Oda (Takehiro Hira), who came close to unifying Japan under his rule. (On their first meeting, Nobunaga assumes that the hue of the man’s skin must be inked on.)

“Yasuke,” whose six-episode first season arrives Thursday, is loosely based in its title character’s history. (Very loosely based; I refer you again to the giant robots.) But if you are expecting a sober historical drama, this artful genre mash-up from LeSean Thomas (“Cannon Busters”) offers both less than that and an eye-popping amount more.

Netflix Link

AfricanKing

Animation looks a little rough on the framerate, but otherwise not bad. Flying Lotus soundtrack is a nice plus.

I've read a bit of the Yasuke story before. Wikipedia has an extensive background:

More historical drama would've been cool on this one instead of magic and mechs, but it's anime so yeah.

Yeah I was hoping for a Vinland Saga type show with less magic and fantasy but it seems good so far.

AJUMP23

Some real history and then fantasy I may have been sold. I would probably have preferred just a total real history anime.

Fbh

Would have preferred if it was more grounded in reality and told a story based on the actual historical records of him serving under Nobunaga.
But the trailer makes it look like the show actually starts with Nobunaga dying and its all just going to be some made up fantasy show.

I'll give it a chance but seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity given the concept

showernota

Is there a Netflix anime that doesn't have mumbly muddled VOs?

I think Castlevania was when it started. Everyone sounds like they're speaking while exhaling a suppressed burp.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a Netflix anime that doesn't have mumbly muddled VOs?

I think Castlevania was when it started. Everyone sounds like they're speaking while exhaling a suppressed burp.
I think this is a voice direction problem. I know for sure that Lakeith is capable of way more and better from his past work, but he must have been directed to voice act in this half-asleep manner.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I would have dug this if it was more grounded. I get you need to fictionalize and dramatize to fill in the gaps but giant robots and magic powers feel at odds with the historical bits and the Yasuke character.

Plus there's so much good drama to be mined from the real history, not just Yasuke's life but the rise of Nobunaga and fallout of his death. That would have been so much more interesting

Dynomite

Man! *Sigh* i hope they do the live action version Chadwick was supposed to be in ... Just film it with Someone like Michael B Jordan or maybe Chiwetel Ejiofor.
It would totally work if they stick to one far out aspect like supernatural, or magic girl. But they cant toss everything together like the anime.

Top Bottom