• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phenomic

So as I've read this thread I've noticed that a ton of people are pretty unhappy with the results of what happened and how Kotaku has handled this story, which may or may not be valid, but as I sit here I wonder what exactly does everyone think the best way to handle this really is for any of the major game news aggregates.

I guess I will start by posting my current feeling on the situation and say that I'm not angry at Kotaku because they never ran the story has 100% fact. It said rumor from the start and with some of the posts I've seen I get the impression that this is never good enough. In my personal preference when I read something that says "Rumor" I know it's at least something I should take with a grain of salt, but at least I get the information and I can get the information and feel somewhat informed.

Sure... in this case apparently the guy was wrong for whatever reason, and they gave some information that ended up being false, and for me I feel like they at least moderately owned up to it.

So GAF, I'm curious is it truly better to never run a story early if there is even the slightest chance that it turns out that it might not be 100% true, even if you get someone you believe to be legit, or someone who would be able to obtain and have access to that piece of knowledge?

Would you all really be happier knowing that the only news we got was straight from a PR press release or a conference and then reported by the journalists?

*Edit* I will add that the above statements are under the impression that information wasn't made up and their actually was some legitimacy within the source given. Obviously a story should never be published when the information is just bogus.

Thats pretty much what i thought the whole purpose of the rumor was.

To me it is a good job form kotaku.

The purpose of the rumor was for Kotaku to get more hits. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Kotaku's "sources" were Kotaku themselves. I'm glad at the final outcome and SE's comment, but let's not thank Kotaku for a completely accidental and latent effect of their...ahem.."quality journalism."

576228_10151948193585398_1958860818_n.jpg

Seance

Banned
I'm sure I'm not the only one here who'd play the Versus XIII demo MORE than XIII-3 itself. (If a demo ever got bundled with XIII-3, that is.)
Some off you FF fans are out of your damn minds. What makes you think versus13 is even better than 13? What do we know about it? Hows the combat system? Better than 13s?

SMH

reKon

Banned
I kind of forgot about this game until this whole false story came up. In fact I didn't even know that they've unveiled a lot of the gameplay for this. That's how busy with school I've been :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkZvdT3QS4k

This game looks sick though. There's no way they would have cancelled a game like this, which they've put so much work into just going off that gameplay trailer.

TDLink

Some off you FF fans are out of your damn minds. What makes you think versus13 is even better than 13? What do we know about it? Hows the combat system? Better than 13s?

SMH

Well we have already seen from trailers that Versus 13 has an action battle system (which is rumoured to be, and kind of looks like, the Kingdom Hearts system). We have also already seen multiple "open" areas of gameplay...which is already better than a hallway. Better in any regard is going to be subjective of course.

Muffdraul

SMH

I won't live in the world where FFvsXIII isn't better than FFXIII.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
My guess is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the game has been outsourced and probably saw a platform change too.

I don't believe Kotaku would blatantly lie about the story and their sources insider perspective should be easy enough to confirm, but there was likely some missing information. There's no denying that development for this game has been troubled. We also know that something happened sometime before March that changed their promotional plans, leaving nothing being shown and no indications of something to come. Has there been any denial of or challenge to previous rumors stating that resources are being redirected away from Versus to FF15? With next-gen at our doorsteps, it makes sense to me, that they'd be gearing up their own teams for it.

Takao

Banned

SMH

It is not Final Corridor 13 for starters. It's an action RPG as well, so you're looking at combat more akin to Kingdom Hearts than traditional Final Fantasy.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It is not Final Corridor 13 for starters. It's an action RPG as well, so you're looking at combat more akin to Kingdom Hearts than traditional Final Fantasy.

Wouldn't it be funny if the game ended up being just like 13 and there is only 1 open field area and the "airship" is just an area select. We all know how open world kingdom hearts is right? :p

Seance

Banned
Oh just saw the gameplay trailer. Real time combat system looks neat, but not exactly traditional is it?
Is there an english dubbed trailer?

SMH

Why don't you look up the game before making stupid inflammatory posts?

Kingdom Hearts combat is a kind of mashy, all style no substance system though, isn't it? I hope the team at Square manages to evolve the system in a way where I actually have to somewhat use my brain.

Also Final Corridor 13 didn't have traditional Final Fantasy combat and I believe said combat system was actually praised by critics, no?

but yeah I don't think there's any chance in hell that Versus will end up worse than that trash

Kaizer

Banned

To which he would not find much since Square Enix has barely shown anything of it. Sure there was that one trailer that looked sorta cool with combat resembling Kingdom Hearts somewhat, but yeah, we really don't know jackshit about this game. I'm hoping it'll be better than FFXIII as well, but I'm tired of coasting on blind faith.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Honestly as much as they have shown of the combat system I would say the slower paced kh look it had going for it was worse than FF13's combat system. But who know's how crazy it could get later on. FF13's combat system was dull as fuck at the start as well

At the same time there is really not that much shown still. I remember everyone being super excited for ff13 too from just trailers and stuff.

Frillen

The purpose of the rumor was for Kotaku to get more hits. I honestly wouldn't be surprised in the least bit if Kotaku's "sources" were Kotaku themselves. I'm glad at the final outcome and SE's comment, but let's not thank Kotaku for a completely accidental and latent effect of their...ahem.."quality journalism."

In all fairness. If you had worked at a news site which makes a living on hits, you would from time to time make articles with the sole purpose of getting exactly that, hits.

DJIzana

Oh just saw the gameplay trailer. Real time combat system looks neat, but not exactly traditional is it?

Awfully quick change of heart there, eh bud?

Yah... now you see why. No further words need to be said! xD

Takao

Banned

Hence the name. XIII was supposed to be the traditional Final Fantasy, with this game being versus it in a battle.

Aeana

13 was turn based, it had traditional combat

ATB isn't turn-based, it's time-based. It's menu-driven, yes, but ATB is similar to a cooldown-based system, just in reverse where your turns have a cooldown instead of individual actions. Turn-based is FF10.

Honestly as much as they have shown of the combat system I would say the slower paced kh look it had going for it was worse than FF13's combat system.
I might be remembering this wrong but didn't Nomura/someone say that the combat footage in the trailer was slowed down quite a bit and that the real thing would be a lot faster?

The combat in the trailer from last year looks wonky as shit, very, very early in production, no doubt nothing like how it will be in the final release. I have every bit of confidence in Nomura's vision for the combat system and whatnot, however, following games like Birth By Sleep (best action RPG combat ever!)

DJIzana

The combat in the trailer from last year looks wonky as shit, very, very early in production, no doubt nothing like how it will be in the final release. I have every bit of confidence in Nomura's vision for the combat system and whatnot, however, following games like Birth By Sleep (best action RPG combat ever!)

I'm curious to see EX Arts & Summons in action!!! (If they still exist, that is.)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
And KH3D.

Honestly as much as they have shown of the combat system I would say the slower paced kh look it had going for it was worse than FF13's combat system. But who know's how crazy it could get later on. FF13's combat system was dull as fuck at the start as well

At the same time there is really not that much shown still. I remember everyone being super excited for ff13 too from just trailers and stuff.

There was quite the backlash when people played the demo and realized they were just walking down a corridor with pre-set battles. I don't remember FFXIII hype ever being quite at the same level as Versus except for when both were just short CGI trailers.

Persona86

Banned

Looked wonky, but the style and atmosphere of it all was almost perfect.

ATB isn't turn-based, it's time-based. It's menu-driven, yes, but ATB is similar to a cooldown-based system, just in reverse where your turns have a cooldown instead of individual actions. Turn-based is FF10.

ATB is turn based. You take turns you cant constantly attack.......

Its turn based

there are many forms of turn based

but as long as you cant constantly attack its turn based

ff vi has atb too, and it as well is turn based

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
And KH3D.

Having played KH3D i ... um... yeah. :/

It's becoming XV isn't it?

i'm with you on this one - yes. If this really is the big banner title we are lead to believe it is - and if it is 6 years of effort then why on earth would you saddle it with the FF13 moniker which is already suffering sales wise?

so what happens is - the rumours that have been doing the rounds for about 6 months turn out to be true: FF13V is in fact FF15, Kotaku picked up the rumours and ran with it after getting some credible confirmation, FF13V is -but isn't- cancelled. Wada isn't caught out, neither technically are Kotaku, it becomes a stalemate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom