• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

The production values are much, much better than XIII.

I don't think that at all. If anything the models and animations look like a step down. There's an almost plastic look going on in some of the scenes. Liking the game is all fine and good, but I wouldn't go trashing 13 as a way to prop it up based on a couple videos.

You have to wonder what the reason for the long dev time is. For The Last Guardian, we have been told of the ambitious and complex realtionship system between the boy and the creature.

Do we have any idea what "innovation" Nomura is cooking up here which may have been the culprit for the wait?

Well one of the big updates a couple years ago or so was about Noctis' outfit and shoes and who the fucking real life designer of the outfit was. If they have been focusing on every little thing like this the entire development cycle, then that would explain a lot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I don't think that at all. If anything the models and animations look like a step down. There's an almost plastic look going on in some of the scenes. Liking the game is all fine and good, but I wouldn't go trashing 13 as a way to prop it up based on a couple videos.

Pretty much this, the gameplay segments we have seen so far have not been that great. The concept of theme being action based is great though. But saying early footage with no so great animation is better than what we seen from two finished products is a little silly

bakedpony

I think it's just simply that it's a FF game in the vein of the older games - i.e., big open world map, lots of towns and dungeons and places to explore... basically a lot of content, which is something that made us all love FF games in the first place, amirite? A lot of games this gen have become linear to compensate for how outrageous the costs and development times would be to make a big open world game with the same amount of content as older open world games, like say PS1 era.

Edit: There were times when parts of Nomura's team were cannibalized to help XIII's production though. I'm sure it's happened on numerous occasions though.

Another thing this game has in common with TLG; small dev teams as mentioned earlier. And yeah it wil be great to see the FF we love back in its glory years with the big open world map. IIRC, was there mention of a day-night cycle or am I just crazy?

The open world thing is one reason people are excited about Ninokuni

Well I think another big thing that Versus has going for it is the overall feel and tone, something I should've explained more haha. I think comparing Versus to XIII is like... idk, XIII was kind of confusing and weird to me, at least with it's story and such. It took forever for anything to make sense or be fun. Also, I just didn't care for the characters or the world they were in. Now compare that to this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8cozto/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-dks3713-trailer

Everything is just mesmerizing. This is my favorite of the trailers/footage because of the music going perfectly with the game. If you don't get pumped for this, I dunno what will. Noctis and his friends are basically ready to go on an adventure. I want to know what is going on in the game world, and I want to see what they get caught up in, just from how awesome everything looks, both CG and gameplay.

Taruranto

The whole talk about the WM and the like would be COOOOL if Xenoblade, made by monolith that doesn't have near the ammount of people or budget of SE, wasn't released.

Well one of the big updates a couple years ago or so was about Noctis' outfit and shoes and who the fucking real life designer of the outfit was. If they have been focusing on every little thing like this the entire development cycle, then that would explain a lot.

I remember some news about Nomura changing the CG in Real Time CS then in CG again, or something like that. I dunno. Then they scraped the WM for something akin to FFXII... really, the post mortem of this thing is going to be fucking hilarious!

Noctis is a pessimist.

Why i'm not surprised.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
ATB is turn based. You take turns you cant constantly attack.......

Its turn based

there are many forms of turn based

but as long as you cant constantly attack its turn based

ff vi has atb too, and it as well is turn based

ATB has always been a time based system.

I'm pretty certain people used to call the ATB a time based, turn based system. I.e. Turns based on time rather than equal turns ala FF1 to FF3.

Emitan

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/8cozto/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-dks3713-trailer

Everything is just mesmerizing. This is my favorite of the trailers/footage because of the music going perfectly with the game. If you don't get pumped for this, I dunno what will. Noctis and his friends are basically ready to go on an adventure. I want to know what is going on in the game world, and I want to see what they get caught up in, just from how awesome everything looks, both CG and gameplay.

This trailer still gets me so hyped for it!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You have to wonder what the reason for the long dev time is. For The Last Guardian, we have been told of the ambitious and complex realtionship system between the boy and the creature.

Do we have any idea what "innovation" Nomura is cooking up here which may have been the culprit for the wait?

It was announced too early. Actual consistent development didn't begin until a couple of years ago.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm sure that's because they were working with a previous engine. You can't really compare an unfinished product to something that was released, I guess.

Pretty much this, the gameplay segments we have seen so far have not been that great. The concept of theme being action based is great though. But saying early footage with no so great animation is better than what we seen from two finished products is a little silly
But would it not be also silly to say they are lackluster when they are in fact in a alpha/beta stage?

I think the reason I'm already more keen on Versus, is that the battle system is in the scope of the environment, like FFXII, not a stage like FFXIII.

I can't believe that was almost four years ago. I also really liked this trailer.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/5z25lw/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-japanese-gameplay-reveal-trailer

I hope it does end up being like FF meets Yakuza, since a mafia is supposed to be involved.

Meelow

Banned
Huh, do people still think it's exclusive after it went from this:

PFjyH.jpg

to this?

IkBsx.jpg

Considering the same exact thing happened with FFXIII...

Good point, I would not be shocked at TGS if it was confirmed for Wii U and 360 as well.

Anth0ny

DQX is coming to Wii and Wii U.

I could see Versus XIII coming to Wii U. Considering it'll drop Holiday 2014 at the earliest. Wii U should have a solid install base by then.

Zeal

Banned
Definitely will happen for 360, I'd say. Thank god this thing isn't canceled.

TGS footage blowout or fuck off Square.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I can completely see this being pushed unto the Wii U and 360 systems in addition to the PS3 system. Most likely, the work to port the development over to these systems is already under way.

However, if they really aren't planning on even showing the tiniest bit of information at TGS then I reckon this might have a terrible effect on the game's reception upon release. No matter how great it is, people will not be satisfied because the dev cycle has just become too stretched.

StuBurns

Banned
maybe is a bizzare conclusion,but I cant trust him. I want to be wrong, we have been waiting 6 years for this game, this TGS is all or nothing for me.
As if you'd stand by that. They don't show it at TGS, but they show it at the next E3, and it comes out next year, and you refuse to play it because you wrote it off after it's no show at this year's TGS?

They can show it whenever they want, it won't make any difference.

DJIzana

The more people to experience this wonderful game, the better. I don't care if it'll come out on both. Exclusivity is pointless now-a-days.

As if you'd stand by that. They don't show it at TGS, but they show it at the next E3, and it comes out next year, and you refuse to play it because you wrote it off after it's no show at this year's TGS?

They can show it whenever they want, it won't make any difference.

Is not that I wont play it even if it is release it next year. But due to this rumor (Fake or Not), this TGS may provide some information regarding the status of the game. He mention to attend a presentation of the game,there is no better way to fully dismiss this rumor showing the game this TGS.

StuBurns

Banned
Exclusivity is pointless now-a-days.
Actually, it's not. Exclusivity typically comes with reduced (if not completely removed), platform royalties, and with co-marketing. If the additional SKUs are projected to make less than the improved returns on a single platform, it's still favorable for them.

DJIzana

Actually, it's not. Exclusivity typically comes with reduced (if not completely removed), platform royalties, and with co-marketing. If the additional SKUs are projected to make less than the improved returns on a single platform, it's still favorable for them.

Yeah, you're right. I dunno though... the way it SEEMS is the companies don't care as much. Like, all the games I want to play... are generally available for PC too, now.

StuBurns

Banned
Yeah, you're right. I dunno though... the way it SEEMS is the companies don't care as much. Like, all the games I want to play... are generally available for PC too, now.
I think it just depends on where the target market is, games like Yakuza and Tales of Xillia probably get nothing from Sony for being exclusives, because Sony don't benefit from them. Versus' contract would have been signed early '06 at least, it's probably very favorable. Who knows, at this point, staying exclusive or going multiplatform wouldn't surprise me. A PC SKU certainly would though.

DJIzana

I think it just depends on where the target market is, games like Yakuza and Tales of Xillia probably get nothing from Sony for being exclusives, because Sony don't benefit from them. Versus' contract would have been signed early '06 at least, it's probably very favorable. Who knows, at this point, staying exclusive or going multiplatform wouldn't surprise me. A PC SKU certainly would though.

Yep, all good points.

Maybe the return of FF7 coming back on PC is to test to see how well the FF franchise sells on the PC market in this current gaming age. (I'm probably far from correct but would be cool if they did choose to use that as a tool, potentially release more titles later for it!) =)

So I was curious about the platform credits after Peff's post about it changing from 'For Playstation 3 Only Worldwide' to just 'For Playstation 3' so I went back through the trailers to see how it played out:

In the 2006 Teaser Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3'
In the 2007 Dengeki Special Edition Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3'
In the 2008 DKS3713 Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3 Only Worldwide'
In the 2009 Advent Children Complete Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3 Only Worldwide'
In the 2011 Reveal Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3'

Note: I didn't include the 2010 Fabula Nova Crystallis Trailer because the credits only displayed the date for the January 2011 conference.

I'm not trying to derive any meaning out of this, I just thought it was interesting so I made a list.

DJIzana

So I was curious about the platform credits after Peff's post about it changing from 'For Playstation 3 Only Worldwide' to just 'For Playstation 3' so I went back through the trailers to see how it played out:

In the 2006 Teaser Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3'
In the 2007 Dengeki Special Edition Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3'
In the 2008 DKS3713 Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3 Only Worldwide'
In the 2009 Advent Children Complete Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3 Only Worldwide'
In the 2011 Reveal Trailer, it read: 'For Playstation 3'

Note: I didn't include the 2010 Fabula Nova Crystallis Trailer because the credits only displayed the date for the January 2011 conference.

I'm not trying to derive any meaning out of this, I just thought it was interesting so I made a list.

That's a good point actually. Didn't Nomura or Wada or someone say they haven't officially announce the game for North America? Obviously in that trailer... they did. Did anyone point that out before because yeah, Lavalamp that has quite some relevancy if not. :O

Ravage

Yep, all good points.

Maybe the return of FF7 coming back on PC is to test to see how well the FF franchise sells on the PC market in this current gaming age. (I'm probably far from correct but would be cool if they did choose to use that as a tool, potentially release more titles later for it!) =)

A PC version could be possible if it's running entirely on the Luminous Engine. As of now though, they're only utilizing it for the lighting so Versus will most likely remain console exclusive.

They probably put "For Playstation 3 Only" in a few trailers because these are the ones that released close to the reveal of the FF XIII for the 360.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
And why do you think that?.

Jesus tittyfucking christ - are we in parody zone now?

we have went from "STRING UP KOTAKU FOR THEIR UNFOUNDED RUMOURS" to "so why do you think Versus isn't coming to the Wii U?!"

.... FUUUUUUCK ME. lol.

Jawmuncher

With a 6 year wait, next we see this game I bet it's going to be radically different.
Hell they might have changed it to the point where it's ties to 13 are severed.

Which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing!

Ravage

With a 6 year wait, next we see this game I bet it's going to be radically different.
Hell they might have changed it to the point where it's ties to 13 are severed.

Which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing!

There was never much of a relation to start with. Aside from a central 'crystal mythology' theme (which is extremely vague) and how Versus 'black' theme contrasts with XIII 'white' theme, i can't think of anything else that links both titles together.

iLLmAtlc

I assume the PS3 Worldwide one was probably shown shortly after the FFXIII to 360 announcement? They probably felt the need to reassure all of the Sony fans because there was a pretty big meltdown all over the internet.

As a PS3 only owner I say who gives a shit what other consoles it's on. Just come out already.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jesus tittyfucking christ - are we in parody zone now?

we have went from "STRING UP KOTAKU FOR THEIR UNFOUNDED RUMOURS" to "so why do you think Versus isn't coming to the Wii U?!"

.... FUUUUUUCK ME. lol.

lol no kidding.

Port begging? Come on now guys, wait for an official announcement. They could have announced something last year when they revealed XIII-2 but they didn't. Things can always change, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom