• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada: Final Fantasy Versus XIII not cancelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
With a 6 year wait, next we see this game I bet it's going to be radically different.
Hell they might have changed it to the point where it's ties to 13 are severed.

Which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing!

Gameplay looked good last year, but nothing ground breaking.

Kyoufu

He just has that special something, when he walks into the room people notice him, girls want him, guys want to be him. He's probably using Lynx.

He's SE's best male character design since Squall in terms of sex appeal. As you say, girls want him, guys want to be him.

Don't think anyone felt that for Zidane, Tidus or Vaan.

Versus could be huge if done right.

dramatis

He's SE's best male character design since Squall in terms of sex appeal. As you say, girls want him, guys want to be him.

Don't think anyone felt that for Zidane, Tidus or Vaan.
Uh. You mean main male? Because Balthier could melt pants. And I guess Snow had nipples.

I personally don't find Noctis particularly appealing. But that's my reaction to pretty much the whole cast so far.

Kyoufu

Uh. You mean main male? Because Balthier could melt pants. And I guess Snow had nipples.

I personally don't find Noctis particularly appealing. But that's my reaction to pretty much the whole cast so far.

Yeah, main male obviously.

But Snow? Fucking lol. No guy wants to be Snow.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

Balthier = James Bond type pants melting

Noctis = Boy Band type pants melting

Guess which one has more fans that are louder and more obnoxious? :p

Shit the whole group he is with looks like cheesy pop stars from a jpop/kpop group
Oh and who the hell likes snow?

volpone

Banned
Guys.

What if Versus is Final Fantasy XIII-3 now?

What if Versus as we know it has been cancelled and it's assets have been reappropriated for Lightning's happy ending? (for real this time)

What if Toriyama is laughing to the thought of Marlene's underwear right now while Nomura weeps over years spent, birthdays missed, that were all for nought?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Guys.

What if Versus is Final Fantasy XIII-3 now?

What if Versus as we know it has been cancelled and it's assets have been reappropriated for Lightning's happy ending? (for real this time)

What if Toriyama is laughing to the thought of Marlene's underwear right now while Nomura weeps over years spent, birthdays missed, that were all for nought?

Wouldn't make sense, as the 13 series is obviously going to stick with it's combat system. It suddenly turning into an action game would be derp

Pretty much confirmed from what he said on Twitter just now. He laughed about the rumor and then went on to say they finished a regular meeting on the game, saw some towns presentation and whatnot.

Sorry, but the way you and him phrased it just rubs me the wrong way. They might've as well cancelled it and he is doing damage control, while allowing the subject to die over the next several years, exactly as Kotaku article mentioned. Point stands we didn't see anything from the game for a very, very long time. That doesn't seem like a game is in development.

He is tweeting about the city he was shown. Then show the damn screenshots!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
He is tweeting about the city he was shown. Then show the damn screenshots!

I always got annoyed when people got butthurt about stuff like this in general. He doesn't have to show anyone shit. He just closed off some bad rumors and made a statement that the game is still in the works. Why does he have to show you the progress? Are you his boss? No? Oh then well that sucks. Be happy he responded in that way at all. He could of just said "The rumors are false"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I guess it comes down to... do you want to see more unfinished work such as the Jan. 2011 trailer? Or would you prefer seeing the game closer to the final version? Personally I'd prefer the latter.

I guess it comes down to... do you want to see more unfinished work such as the Jan. 2011 trailer? Or would you prefer seeing the game closer to the final version? Personally I'd prefer the latter.

Me too..............

but then again id like to see english dq x, bravely default, dq 1 monsters

Why does he have to show you the progress?

To maintain people's interest in the game? Caring for your community and keeping them updated goes a long way, and doesn't cost you a thing.

Are you implying that after 1.5 years of extra development time the game is not closer to being finished? I would assume a year and a half is a good time to showcase major improvements.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To maintain people's interest in the game? Caring for your community and keeping them updated goes a long way, and doesn't cost you a thing.

This can backfire, this can backfire very badly

Are you implying that after 1.5 years of extra development time the game is not closer to being finished? I would assume a year and a half is a good time to showcase major improvements.

Maybe they will maybe they won't. They have other games they are pushing as well. The game will most likely be shown off with one final huge CHECK THIS SHIT OUT GUYS major trailer showing a lot of the games systems and such. Which is fairly common. If things are still undecided on some aspects of the final game I would expect it to be held back a bit and no I doubt they want to show off 1 or 2 screen shots for their big reshowing

This can backfire, this can backfire very badly

How so? You control how the information will get released. Simply give the fans a timeline with updates e.g. "next update will take place around TGS", "look forward to more information next month!". I really don't think making a few screenshots, a photo of concept art, and putting this together is too much to ask from a company such as S-E.

What gets me the most is how great S-E is promoting Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman Absolution. Even at the beginning of the year we saw news, regular updates, etc. I understand this is probably run by Eidos people in Europe, but the difference is astonishing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How so? You control how the information will get released. Simply give the fans a timeline with updates e.g. "next update will take place around TGS", "look forward to more information next month!". I really don't think making a few screenshots, a photo of concept art, and putting this together is too much to ask from a company such as S-E.

What gets me the most is how great S-E is promoting Sleeping Dogs, and Hitman Absolution. Even at the beginning of the year we saw news, regular updates, etc. I understand this is probably run by Eidos people in Europe, but the different is astonishing.

Let's look a bit into the past how much of a FF game have you seen after it was announced up to the point where it's 4 months away from launch in Japan. :p Pretty much what we've gotten at this point. Maybe you are confusing the old days where japan got the games damn near a year in advance and thus the localization stuff was flooding with info and such in magazines.

Let's look a bit into the past how much of a FF game have you seen after it was announced up to the point where it's 4 months away from launch in Japan. :p Pretty much what we've gotten at this point. Maybe you are confusing the old days where japan got the games damn near a year in advance and thus the localization stuff was flooding with info and such in magazines.

Sure, I agree with you that's how S-E always does thing. Previously however the position of jRPGs was not challenged by cRPGs, iOS gaming, etc., etc. 10 years ago people were just starting to get Internet, build online communities, etc. S-E needs to catch up.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
do you want to see more unfinished work such as the Jan. 2011 trailer? Or would you prefer seeing the game closer to the final version?

Tbh, the next Trailer I want to see from Versus should come with a release date. That way I can be sure the shown gameplay is going to stay the same for the final product, even if it disappoints me.

elysianalartist

Neo Member

Yeah I have to agree as a girl gamer. Balthier is the main reason I enjoyed ff12 and kept playing through. Then Ash took the front seat to the story :(

As of now I prefer Balthier's look to Noctis.

Emitan

Yeah I have to agree as a girl gamer. Balthier is the main reason I enjoyed ff12 and kept playing through. Then Ash took the front seat to the story :(

As of now I prefer Balthier's look to Noctis.
Ashe > Balthier

Balthier is cool but does nothing for lesbians :p

Persona86

Banned

Personally the less I see, the easier the wait. The less I see the more fresh and exiting the game will be when it's in my hands.

Anyone feel like you already know too much about games before you buy it these days? I blame the internet. ;)

Pranay

I think it just depends on where the target market is, games like Yakuza and Tales of Xillia probably get nothing from Sony for being exclusives, because Sony don't benefit from them. Versus' contract would have been signed early '06 at least, it's probably very favorable. Who knows, at this point, staying exclusive or going multiplatform wouldn't surprise me. A PC SKU certainly would though.

Xillia and One piece did get bundles.

These games do matter a lot to Sony in Japan

luca1980

Banned
what about something new in style like a ffxv team 4 release?

You were wearing your bias on your sleeve, is all. Not that there's anything wrong with that... I thought it was kawaii ^_^!

Whenever anyone says this I'm reminded of that Seinfeld episode every time...

Anyway, I think the coming months will be an interesting time regardless of what happens.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think it just depends on where the target market is, games like Yakuza and Tales of Xillia probably get nothing from Sony for being exclusives, because Sony don't benefit from them. Versus' contract would have been signed early '06 at least, it's probably very favorable. Who knows, at this point, staying exclusive or going multiplatform wouldn't surprise me. A PC SKU certainly would though.

Co-marketing dollars.

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't think that at all. If anything the models and animations look like a step down. There's an almost plastic look going on in some of the scenes. Liking the game is all fine and good, but I wouldn't go trashing 13 as a way to prop it up based on a couple videos.

i disagree. the running animation and clothing physics seem more natural, based on this footage from tgs 10. (starts around 50 secs in)

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/x6ijld/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-tgs-10--japanese-fabula-nova-crystallis-trailer

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
He definitely did up until the 2011 one. Now... it doesn't seem AS visible.

sasuke.jpg

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
yo stephentotilo, thanks for checking in but it would be nice if you respond to more intelligent replies next time rather than wasting your efforts on posts like that.

also glad to see unnamed source teasing diminish, the only thing I really need to hear is more oblique advice from Aeana on whether it's a good idea for me to break down and order SMT1&2 from ebay or not
Thanks for chiming in randomkid.

Muffdraul

Can somebody explain why they think Sony has some kind of involvement with Versus? Because they obviously didn't with FFXIII.

I assume the idea is that Sony is/was paying Squeenix to make Versus a PS3 exclusive.

I don't know about that, but I always figured Squeenix announcing/unveiling FFXIII and FFvsXIII (whole FNC thing in general) at E3 2006 was down to pressure from Sony.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony does co-marketing for COD and AC as well. That doesn't mean they have any influence over those games.
So, in this example, you mean 'involvement' to be influence over the product?

Sony have the right to refuse the title be released on their platform, as they do with any game, but that's it, more or less. There are various first party rules all games have to follow, but they don't have any direct influence as far as has been reported.

So, in this example, you mean 'involvement' to be influence over the product?

Sony have the right to refuse the title be released on their platform, as they do with any game, but that's it, more or less. There are various first party rules all games have to follow, but they don't have any direct influence as far as has been reported.

Yeah, I'm seeing people post about exclusivity contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom