• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada moved Square Enix's offices based on advice from a fortune teller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikujiro

I think people here are seriously underestimating how prevalent superstititous beliefs are amongst business and political leaders. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg in terms of important people making crazy decisions based on dumb shit.

Yeah, but everybody will ignore your post.
While I think Wada is useless, basing decisions on fortune telling is nothing surprising, especially in asian culture. A chinese friend of mine before moving asked a fortune teller what was the best day to do it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I agree with Stump. There are business people who believe in superstition. There are cases when elevators don't have the 13th floor, rather it skips to the 14th.

What about 13-2?

Still unlucky.

Versus XIII will probably be reverse unlucky... Unless they scrap the name. :p

This is old news. What's more interesting to me, is that as a young man working at a music store, Uematsu went to a fortune teller. He was told that in the very next week a meeting would take place that would change his life forever. The next week he met Hironobu Sakaguchi and the rest is history.

so1337

whatswrong.gif

Riposte

I think people here are seriously underestimating how prevalent superstititous beliefs are amongst business and political leaders. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg in terms of important people making crazy decisions based on dumb shit.

I hear this is more so true among Japanese businessmen.

EDIT: Also I don't put too much weight into this. Sounds a bit apocryphal.

Ravidrath

As ridiculous as this sounds to us, this kind of thing is not uncommon in Asia.

For example, in Hong Kong geomancers are frequently consulted to turn around struggling companies.

The Asia Pacific arm of a big company my dad worked for did it during a restructuring. They did things like put curtains over windows that had a "curve that a sword," grouped people by their astrological sign, did elemental realignment, etc. New employees had to do things like "enter the building from the west door at precisely 1:00 AM, stay 15 minutes and leave."

Takuan

Definitely. Superstition is alive and well in East Asian culture. My buddy's been going to the same fortune teller every year and, for what it's worth, he's done very well for himself under his direction despite having meager credentials for his industry (investment finance, undergrad degree, no major certifications).

Einhander

How strange. I wonder if they'd all move back to that building if the fortune teller misinterpreted the fortune. Everyone would be settled in and "time to pack up, guys. False alarm."

gunbo13

Wada: "Should we make a proper Chrono Trigger sequel?"
Fortune Teller: "No, it will bring grave misfortune."

They're moving to a new building in a different area of Shinjuku in a few months.

Maybe Wada has been visiting the fortune teller again...

I know why the FF7 remake hasn't been released yet: the fortuneteller told Wada to launch it only after 2015. It's been ready since 2007, though. He's just waiting. :p

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Why is this dipshit still in charge of ruining things at S-E?

* In Japan, it's much harder for shareholders to oust managers than in North America or Europe
* Wada has a nice-sounding background in investment banking. He's probably good at communicating with other businesspeople, banks, etc. and convincing them that he's not hopelessly incompetent
* Lots of Japanese game companies are doing badly, so Wada's failure isn't as conspicuous as it should be

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The fortune teller probably told him that Matsuno was a curse to Square Enix and Toriyama will bring in good fortune and luck.

You know what, she's probably right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom