• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoichi Wada moved Square Enix's offices based on advice from a fortune teller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
* In Japan, it's much harder for shareholders to oust managers than in North America or Europe
* Wada has a nice-sounding background in investment banking. He's probably good at communicating with other businesspeople, banks, etc. and convincing them that he's not hopelessly incompetent
* Lots of Japanese game companies are doing badly, so Wada's failure isn't as conspicuous as it should be

At this point though, I'm not sure what someone who would replace him would do differently though.

I mean, let's look at Square Enix's current strategy:

1.) Build (at least) nine major Western console game development teams, with most being in low cost but high quality locations. (5 Montreal, 2 Crystal Dynamics, 2 IO Interactive)
2.) Refocus their Japanese division on growing social/mobile/online sector in the region.
3.) For their remaining major Japanese handheld and console titles, attempt to restructure their development methodologies and technology so they can actually finish games in a reasonable time frame and on par with their counterparts.
4.) Attempt one other Japanese, global targeted console title, which is an action RPG.
5.) Also start up social/f2p/online/mobile efforts at their local branches in Europe and the U.S., targeted at their local and most compatible regions.
6.) Partner with outside teams to fill any console gaps in the West and social/mobile/online gaps in Japan.

So, ignoring their past and focusing on their forward going strategy, what do you think they should be doing differently at this point?

I'm not calling this strategy flawless, but I'm not sure how much would actually change with someone new.

RSLAEV

Who was the fortune teller?

LRxlQ.jpg

Foffy

Banned
If this is true, I can only imagine Wada using this fortune teller for much advice.

Maybe this explains the odd decisions by the company.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
At this point though, I'm not sure what someone who would replace him would do differently though.

1.) Build (at least) nine major Western console game development teams, with most being in low cost but high quality locations. (5 Montreal, 2 Crystal Dynamics, 2 IO Interactive)
2.) Refocus their Japanese division on growing social/mobile/online sector in the region.
3.) For their remaining major Japanese handheld and console titles, attempt to restructure their development methodologies and technology so they can actually finish games in a reasonable time frame and on par with their counterparts.
4.) Attempt one other Japanese, global targeted console title, which is an action RPG.
5.) Also start up social/f2p/online/mobile efforts at their local branches in Europe and the U.S., targeted at their local and most compatible regions.
6.) Partner with outside teams to fill any console gaps in the West and social/mobile/online gaps in Japan.

So, ignoring their past and focusing on their forward going strategy, what do you think they should be doing differently at this point?

I'm not calling this strategy flawless, but I'm not sure how much would actually change with someone new.
I could nitpick their strategy, but I think the real issue isn't strategy, but execution. I don't know Square's internal structure, or culture, or Wada's personal leadership qualities, but I suspect there's been something horribly wrong with all of those things for a long time, and Wada's ultimately responsible. Without knowing more details about the company's operations, I can still say that a company that had the old Square's resources, prestige, and brand equity wouldn't have fallen so far under a competent leader.

Well FFXIII and FFXIV went down on his watch. It seems to me that a lot of what you listed is aimed at fixing Wada's own blunders.

Labadal

These are good steps but they are coming very late in the console generation. They've had a solid output on portables and some good games on consoles, but then we have had games like Mindjack and the cancelled Gun Loco. Let us not forget that they didn't care about the PS3 for some time, not releasing a game like The Last Remnant. FFXIII took a long time to come out. Despite good sales feels like this is the FF game that have gotten the worst backclash. Type-0 took a long time to develop and Versus XIII is nowhere to be seen. FFXIII-2 might have had decent sales but I don't think players got a better opinion about the FNC games with this one. Then we have FFXIV, not played it myself, but the fact that they didn't have a monthly fee is telling. How will Dragon Quest X do. We must not forget this. It's an MMO, and after FFXIV this is a huge risk. How will this do saleswise?

They can turn it around as you said, if they keep on delivering on the portable side. Then they need to become more effective overall. While I have no interest in FFXIII-2, it is good to see that they can actually deliver FF console games. Their western studios could be a big help. These will help S-E in the future, maybe they could learn S-E a thing or two.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I could nitpick their strategy, but I think the real issue isn't strategy, but execution. I don't know Square's internal structure, or culture, or Wada's personal leadership qualities, but I suspect there's been something horribly wrong with all of those things for a long time, and Wada's ultimately responsible. Without knowing more details about the company's operations, I can still say that a company that had the old Square's resources, prestige, and brand equity wouldn't have fallen so far under a competent leader.

Well FFXIII and FFXIV went down on his watch. It seems to me that a lot of what you listed is aimed at fixing Wada's own blunders.

These are good steps but they are coming very late in the console generation. They've had a solid output on portables and some good games on consoles, but then we have had games like Mindjack and the cancelled Gun Loco. Let us not forget that they didn't care about the PS3 for some time, not releasing a game like The Last Remnant. FFXIII took a long time to come out. Despite good sales feels like this is the FF game that have gotten the worst backclash. Type-0 took a long time to develop and Versus XIII is nowhere to be seen. FFXIII-2 might have had decent sales but I don't think players got a better opinion about the FNC games with this one. Then we have FFXIV, not played it myself, but the fact that they didn't have a monthly fee is telling. How will Dragon Quest X do. We must not forget this. It's an MMO, and after FFXIV this is a huge risk. How will this do saleswise?

They can turn it around as you said, if they keep on delivering on the portable side. Then they need to become more effective overall. While I have no interest in FFXIII-2, it is good to see that they can actually deliver FF console games. Their western studios could be a big help. These will help S-E in the future, maybe they could learn S-E a thing or two.

Right, I definitely agree that they dug their own grave, it's just that I kind of feel there's not much else to be done except push forward with some sort of decent strategy and hope for the best.

I get the impression that Eidos is mostly run by Square Enix's European branch and that Japan kind of has ingrained issues that effect them from top to bottom, so changing one guy at the top probably wouldn't do much.

I mean, even just picking out the tech side, Square Enix's global Chief Technology Officer is from Eidos, and their new engine is being headed up by a bunch of people hired from different Japanese publishers and with a 30% foreign staff, so they seem to realize that looking outside the old company for help transitioning is a good place to start.

Judging by the last question here, and by this guy's statements here, their original staff seems to be making an honest attempt at learning from others as well.

Can they actually execute? I don't know, but they have to release more for me to be able to tell.

Ikael

I think people here are seriously underestimating how prevalent superstititous beliefs are amongst business and political leaders. I suspect this is the tip of the iceberg in terms of important people making crazy decisions based on dumb shit.

Freaking this. I have met in my life people who wields power and money , and not in a "I have got a sucessful business" sense, but rather as in a "I can nuke your town from the orbit and noone would give a fuck about it"; and swear to God, they really, really, really, really do believe on this stuff. Supernatural elements do have a mystic with power brokers.

Datschge

Wow, an active thread based on a 4 years old interview which basically reconfirmed the even older news that Square lost its soul when it moved to a new place...

V_Arnold

He must have made a lot of bad decisions, this is not - necessarily -amongst them.
You can have faith and be wise, and you can lack it, and still be a fucking idiot.

Was this the same one who said to put up a CG target trailer for a first-on-console numbered FF game that hadn't even fucking been started?

Or the one who said to kill Front Mission dead with a brainless action title?

Maybe the one who said to send KH on wierd-named spin-offs this generation.

Or the one who said to release FFXIV that was as if FFXI didn't exist?

Or the one who...

All SE employees ABANDON SHIP ASAP!!

Years behind.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
All about the Feng Shui

Pretty much. A friend's dad was all over offering Feng Shui consulting for businesses many years ago, and rich Chinese brokers, managers and CEOs were all over him. For them it was a service no less important than having running water in the building.

I can't see this interview, but I could have sworn I saw an interview with Uematsu speaking perfect English once. All I can find now is stuff being captioned.

I always wrote it off as typical outsider Haterade when people bashed Wada. But yea, not sure what to say about this. Pretty embarrassing.

Utako

Banned

Make art instead of pop videos with swords.

demigod

You guys mocking him are fools. Feng shui works and a LOT of asians believe it. If a business is in a bad location it will fail, if the place is haunted it will also fail. Not all fortune tellers are good, obviously Wada hired a cheap or phony one.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, people seriously think this is very stupid and/or different? It's quite common in Asia.

Hell, as someone put it, even US businessmen are guilty with it via "more professional sounding" people like analysts.

shaowebb

I am going into the game industry soon and I am against buying studios to steal their IP's and then closing them. Activision, and EA do this and it really hurts people and forces them to suddenly be unemployed guys with nothing to show for their time. However, at this point I'm to the point of saying someone should buy up and then fire off everyone at Square-Enix. From finding out how their teams refuse to cooperate with each other from one department of the team to the next, from the milking of the FF franchise with little concern for quality, from Nomura's terrible art direction for every character based entirely upon his obsession over certain models and fashions he wears...I just think this company has compartmentalized into a band of crazy uncooperative self important people that you can no longer be certain of. Who knows who is dependable there anymore from what I've read. People literally get told to do something then don't because "MEH!" to whoever told them is the attitude or because they think their ideas are better than the ones laid out on a game. Who knows anymore...

Just buy em, scrap em , and replace them with studios full of people that will work together on the games to finish them, who won't base art off of a love of their own closet and one style of face, and who won't make major company decisions based upon random superstitions or random advice. Structure is a joke there...so upset by how they have fallen. I'd buy em, fire em, and then sell their properties at a loss to mistwalker.

You guys mocking him are fools. Feng shui works and a LOT of asians believe it. If a business is in a bad location it will fail, if the place is haunted it will also fail. Not all fortune tellers are good, obviously Wada hired a cheap or phony one.

A lot of people believe it? Sure. A lotta people believe a lotta things. Saying "feng shui works" is a little much for me to swallow, though, especially when it's applied to business.

Rapstah

You might be trolling, but there's the issue that there is no such thing as haunted houses.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
A lot of people believe it? Sure. A lotta people believe a lotta things. Saying "feng shui works" is a little much for me to swallow, though, especially when it's applied to business.

You'd be surprised actually.

Honestly this thread could've gone worse (e.g. being racist on how Asian businessmen rely on superstitions).

You'd be surprised actually.

Probably not. I love theology/mysticism and all that but when it starts bleeding into the business world I can't help but raise an eyebrow. I'd feel exactly the same way if Epic games had decided to move their office on the advice of a bishop and I guarantee the response to that would be just as mocking.

A lot of asians. You're not asian so you wouldnt know

:lol

Is this old news? I'm sure I heard about this a year or so ago. But no one else is saying so, so am I just imagining?

Maybe I'm psychic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom