• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi. WTF Nintendo?

scitek said:
I didn't want to upset him. Mario kills a lot of Yoshis.

Many people in this thread complain of Yoshi turning into DURP DURP.

But do they realize that even the original Yoshi would always run into a pit? When was he ever not a durp?

It's the arms. He went from looking like a dinosaur with short stubby arms (good look) to looking like a dude in a dinosaur furry suit. I can't unsee his arms now. Why did I look at this thread :(

GCX

MidnightScott said:
I don't like his voice in Mario Galaxy 2. Something changed...like when he does the flutter jump..

He does this kinda whiny voice.
Nintendo recorded new Yoshi voice samples first time in a decade for Galaxy 2.

Boney

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
I liked the design Rare used for Adventures. Assault wasn't bad too, but Command just looked too simple and cartoony IMO.
Command looked like shit. It's amazing Brawl managed to make it look good.

why are you people destroying the beautiful innocence of yoshi's story for me

21e6fko.jpg

yoshi will fucking murder you all now

fernoca

I like it..the changes gave him some more personality..plus he still makes his "SNES noises"..along with the "cute ones"..
But come on..does a thread like this..deserve 6 pages with nearly 300 replies.. ? :lol :lol

UraMallas

BocoDragon said:
STFU cynical GAF.

OP is completely right. They changed the Yoshi character.. Much like green eyes Sonic and his awful furry friends, or Mario Sunshine cutscenes, something has completely changed, compared to the original design, which obscures the original appeal of the character.

The look isn't the main problem.. But the noises he makes went from iconic videogame coolness, to some sort of spazzy baby noises.

There is a split from the original design, and it's awful.
Aaaaaand then you launch in to a cynical tirade. GG.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Subliminal said:
WAAAH WAAAH MY VIDEO GAME RIDEABLE DINOSAUR WITH A LONG TONGUE THAT EATS FRUIT AND POOPS OUT EGGS DOESN'T LOOK REALISTIC
Did you people even read the OP when you decided to quote this bullshit?

Where the fuck is OP complaining about realism?

SlipperySlope said:
Many people in this thread complain of Yoshi turning into DURP DURP.

But do they realize that even the original Yoshi would always run into a pit? When was he ever not a durp?

I find it funny that people think his design has become too "baby/ child like".

. . . The damn thing is a new born in the games once you crack open it's egg. He should be durppy and kiddy looking IMO :p

DonMigs85

Black-Wind said:

. . . The damn thing is a new born in the games once you crack open it's egg. He should be durppy and kiddy looking IMO :p
Only the special colored ones that need to be fed to grow are infants. The others are grown Yoshis magically sealed into eggs by Bowser (or maybe the Koopalings or Magikoopa.)
Lawd what am I saying

Black-Wind said:

This has already been said to be false. There are baby Yoshis in SMW, and Bowser imprisoned the ridable Yoshis in eggs in SMW.

It's Mario canon.

DonMigs85 said:
Only the special colored ones that need to be fed to grow are infants. The others are grown Yoshis magically sealed into eggs by Bowser (or maybe the Koopalings or Magikoopa.)
Lawd what am I saying
Jaded Alyx said:
This has already been said to be false. There are baby Yoshis in SMW, and Bowser imprisoned the ridable Yoshis in eggs in SMW.

It's Mario canon.
Seems I stand corrected. 0_o

Didn't know Mario had a story pass "Peach gone!?!?! That big green Bastard is gonna get it!!".

But now that I think about it I DO remember that Yoshi spell thing . . .)

Black-Wind said:
Seems I stand corrected. 0_o

Didn't know Mario had a story pass "Peach gone!?!?! That big green Bastard is gonna get it!!".

But now that I think about it I DO remember that Yoshi spell thing . . .)
CANON

DonMigs85

Jaded Alyx said:

It's Mario canon.
Speaking of Mario canon, seems the only games with direct plot ties or references are SMB3 to Mario World, Super Mario Land to Wario Land 2, Luigi's Mansion to Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy to Galaxy 2.

Gilby

DonMigs85 said:
I liked the design Rare used for Adventures. Assault wasn't bad too, but Command just looked too simple and cartoony IMO.

I think you're confusing "simple and cartoony" with "downs-syndrome-y".

Yoshi is only part of the problem! Mario himself looked so friendly here:
519824_28403_frontjpg.jpeg

and in SM64:
super-mario-64-virtual-console-20070131013938559_640w.jpg

But now...he looks sooo serious and cold. :(
supermariogalaxy460.jpg

;(

In Mario Sunshine both designs were incorporated, the newer when Yoshi was standing, the older when rided by Mario. Sunshine has always been the best Mario game.

Before:
image234053_5p62g.T200.jpg

After:
a2329i1_SMS-2_w.jpg

clav

Yoshi melted and died like the witch from Wizard of Oz when he touched water.

So no. Sunshine still blows.

selig

Banned
My mind cannot comprehend...a thread...about...Yoshi...this long?! And it´s not even about admiring his design, it´s an actual discussion with people arguing about whatever. :/

selig said:
My mind cannot comprehend...a thread...about...Yoshi...this long?! And it´s not even about admiring his design, it´s an actual discussion with people arguing about whatever. :/
Have you read it?

Top Bottom