• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Kitase talks Final Fantasy VII Remake progress, battle system and more

this game should have been treated like a new FF game. All focus from square should have been on this game. The Biggest best team working on it

Make it into one single game no damn episodes. It would sell just as much as any other new FF game and then some.

Since it's a SquareEnix title, I assume the last episode will be released on the next generation consoles too and more likely to see a complete edition.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
this game should have been treated like a new FF game. All focus from square should have been on this game. The Biggest best team working on it

Make it into one single game no damn episodes. It would sell just as much as any other new FF game and then some.

It is though. That's what this is... it's a massive trilogy (or more) of full size FF games, each of which is essentially as big as a mainline entry.

DKHF

Good God Square Japan routinely announced their games too fucking early!!!

Back in 2013 they announced KH3, it's 2017 and we still have no release year in sight! There's a very real possibility that Naughty Dog will deliver two critically and commercially successful triple A titles (Uncharted4, TLoU2) and one side story (Uncharted Chloe Edition) in the time it took Square to pump out KH3.
A team working with the latest in home console technology for the last decade is a lot faster at console game development than a team transitioning from 3DS to PS4 with a hugely ambitious game. How embarassing!

/s

KHlover

Banned
And this is why you buy a console when the game you want is actually released, not when it's announced. By the time FF VII R releases you'll be able to buy a standard PS4 for like 100 bucks and a PS4 Pro for 200 something.

I'm still holding out for KH3 before I get my PS4, if I were to buy a used PS4 for it right now I'd already pay under 200 bucks for the console.

BocoDragon

When y'all are out here wondering if the final part will ever be released 10 years after part 2 I don't want to see any complaining.

The alternative is a single game that will take an insane amount of time, or will be compromised in a big way.

Splitting it up into multiple parts helps with the sanity of SE's long-ass development time. It doesn't add to it.

It's interesting how everyone put the "multiple episodes" math together in their heads differently. Some people look at it and think "they're blowing it up into much more game!" But I look at it and think "making that PS1 scenario in modern detail is way too much for a single game project..... they're going to tackle it in chunks because otherwise it'd be impossible to realize".

When this game got announced, I made a joke about which would get released first-- The first episode of this, Shenmue 3, or The Winds of Winter. Nearly two years later, we are no steps closer to figuring it out.

I mean, one thing that struck me is if there's a delay of even 6 months to a year between episode releases what's to stop people overlevelling on part 1? I'll go on the assumption that later episodes might scale in difficulty..

liquidtmd

Banned
"We are very confident that this time next year, we will have another piece of concept art to show you on par with what we showed you a few days ago"

Maybe it's just a semantic thing, but I don't think it's appropriate to call FFVIIR episodic if it's going to be a year (or more?) in between installments like many seem to believe, especially if they end up charging full price for each episode. I don't think they've addressed pricing though.

So if I get mega bored and grind lvls in the first episode, does that mean ill be basically overpowered for the next two? If so that's pretty unfortunate honestly. Guess I might have to curb my natural tendency to grind lvls

BocoDragon

There is something so seriously wrong with SE's internal teams. Jesus.

I do think there's something wrong.

If they want to make games this ambitious, they should be Ubisofting it with teams around the world.

I know VIIR is being completed with help from CyberConnect2 but yeeesh....

Maybe it's just a semantic thing, but I don't think it's appropriate to call FFVIIR episodic if it's going to be a year (or more?) in between installments like many seem to believe, especially if they end up charging full price for each episode. I don't think they've addressed pricing though.

Do you think it's wrong to call Star Wars episodic?

Telltale style "episodic gaming" is a johnny-come-lately use of the word. If it's broken up into pieces, it's episodic.

See also: Xenosaga. Ogre Battle. Games with episode numbers that are released years apart.

UrbanRats

Again, i fully believe they'll never finish this.
Yeah they'll release ep 1, maybe even a second one years later, but by the time they arrive to the end, the gaming landscape and SE itself will be so different, that it will go the way of Half Life 3.

BocoDragon

When was the last mainline/major FF without development trouble?

Their pattern is to cope with a disastrous development cycle by re-using tech and assets in sequels later. Which FFVIIR has built-in already with the episodic structure, I guess.

Sounds about right.

(to answer your question, FFX of course. Considering what SE's dev cycle has become, the fact that they got the very full and complete next-gen game FFX out near PS2 launch is amazing).

I guess XI, technically? I actually don't know much about the lead-up to that project.

Sure.

Square Enix is going to Hitman this. Break it into three huge volumes, but release each volume over the period of a year in five or six episodes

No way. That would be even worse than the current plans. Just make a trilogy with each part about spaced 2 years apart. If each release is around 35-40 hours long and has a solid cliffhanger to bridge to the next installment it could work.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I don't understand what this means, as in a port of the original ?

No, Compilation of FFVII was a line of FFVII-related media (Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, Crisis Core).

They're saying they don't have any plans to do new spin-off games or movies. They're just focusing on the remake.

jiggle

So if I get mega bored and grind lvls in the first episode, does that mean ill be basically overpowered for the next two? If so that's pretty unfortunate honestly. Guess I might have to curb my natural tendency to grind lvls

power reset
or level cap

kobu

The alternative is a single game that will take an insane amount of time, or will be compromised in a big way.

Splitting it up into multiple parts helps with the sanity of SE's long-ass development time. It doesn't add to it.

It's interesting how everyone put the "multiple episodes" math together in their heads differently. Some people look at it and think "they're blowing it up into much more game!" But I look at it and think "making that PS1 scenario in modern detail is way too much for a single game project..... they're going to tackle it in chunks because otherwise it'd be impossible to realize".

We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Luckily I'm not a big ff7 fan and the original game is always there for people who want to see how the story ends if the wait between releases gets crazy.

Guys it doesn't matter when we actually get to play it. The important thing is that Sony got to announce it at their E3 conference two years ago for MAXIMUM HYPE.

Do you think it's wrong to call Star Wars episodic?

Telltale style "episodic gaming" is a johnny-come-lately use of the word. If it's broken up into pieces, it's episodic.

See also: Xenosaga. Ogre Battle. Games with episode numbers that are released years apart.

Calling something episodic has a certain connotation that implies a series of connected stories released on a regular schedule. So no, I don't consider Star Wars or Xenosaga episodic, at least not in that sense. The fact that Stars Wars has episode in the title is a superfluous detail, as it could just as easily be called Star Wars IV: A New Hope. It's an aesthetic.

The reason Telltale games, Life Is Strange, and other similar titles are episodic is because the individual installments have a structure that in itself isn't complete while also generally ending on a cliffhanger. Not only that, those developers try to have a fairly regular release schedule with a month or two in between episodes so people don't completely forget what happens.

Otherwise, should we consider every movie series episodic?

It was REALLY exciting okay.

I was as hyped as anyone else. A few minutes later the probable reality set in, however.

I think with game development, where it can take so long to make a game, that they shouldn't treat it like movies where you have just a few months if that of principal photography. Games take years to make. This was announced already almost 2 years ago and it doesn't sound like they've made much progress. That's absolutely stupid.

I still don't know why it has to be episodic. Ff7 isn't that big.

Remaking it in the way that most people want to see it remade? Uh, yeah, it's gonna be pretty big. :p

I don't have a problem with it being episodic if it allows them to reach higher ambitions-- just as long as it does turn out well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I was as hyped as anyone else. A few minutes later the probable reality set in, however.

I think with game development, where it can take so long to make a game, that they shouldn't treat it like movies where you have just a few months if that of principal photography. Games take years to make. This was announced already almost 2 years ago and it doesn't sound like they've made much progress. That's absolutely stupid.

Not necessarily. Don't make excuses for SE's poor development ethics. They're remaking a pre-existing property using a ready licensed engine and all they can show for it after months and months is one poster.

Not necessarily. Don't make excuses for SE's poor development ethics. They're remaking a pre-existing property using a ready licensed engine and all they can show for it after months and months is one poster.

They do, though, especially large projects like this. I think taking a while to make a game is fine, but they don't have to announce them so early.

It is though. That's what this is... it's a massive trilogy (or more) of full size FF games, each of which is essentially as big as a mainline entry.

Hmm is it really?
I have a feeling they will cut corners and cut things out due to lack of time and funds.

Is this game getting the same budget as final fantasy XV did? I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong but it just feels like that.

ZeoVGM

Banned
They do, though, especially large projects like this. I think taking a while to make a game is fine, but they don't have to announce them so early.

We should absolutely have seen more of the game by now. Games do take a while but they announced it almost two years ago and we saw a "gameplay" trailer a little over a year ago.

Now we get a poster.

rockyt

They seem to announce a game when scribbles on a piece of toilet paper is what it seems like to me without any production started.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It must be the only developer in the world not learning from past mistakes. When they will reset to 0 all the management of this company?

BocoDragon

Calling something episodic has a certain connotation that implies a series of connected stories released on a regular schedule.

Really? It doesn't have that connotation for me.

Some episodes have regular schedules (i.e. telltale or in the midst of a TV season), but I don't think of it as a requirement of the term "episodic" at all.

For me, episodic merely connotes a single unified story told in parts.

So no, I don't consider Star Wars or Xenosaga episodic, at least not in that sense. The fact that Stars Wars has episode in the title is a superfluous detail, as it could just as easily be called Star Wars IV: A New Hope. It's an aesthetic.

These are titles that have the word "episode" in their title, and I understand that you're saying it's an aesthetic... but they are the poster child for using "episodes" in their respective mediums.

So if we're talking about "connotations"... Star Wars probably owns the worldwide connotation for the concept of episodes.

Otherwise, should we consider every movie series episodic?

If they attempt to add up to a cohesive whole...... yes. Stuff like Harry Potter or Back to the Future movies or Game of Thrones books, certainly.

Series that really feel like separate stories even if in the same universe, i.e. Evil Dead or Mad Max... sure, they are not particularly episodic.

Frumix

Suffering From Success

That's exactly the problem though. Why is it a large project? Does it have to be so large? If it is, how can they set up their production and marketing process to manage it? They already spent years on failures like these, with no clear direction, roadmap or even a vision of what they want to do.

We should absolutely have seen more of the game by now. Games do take a while but they announced it almost two years ago and we saw a "gameplay" trailer a little over a year ago.

I'm in complete agreement! It was simply announced too early. By too early I mean like almost 2 years too early.

That's exactly the problem though. Why is it a large project? Does it have to be so large? If it is, how can they set up their production and marketing process to manage it?

A large project is a large project regardless of how its managed. It's going to be a large project because it's a modern remake of a game that has a very large scope. That being said, I think they're pretty awful at managing projects.

Top Bottom