• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Kitase talks Final Fantasy VII Remake progress, battle system and more

That's exactly the problem though. Why is it a large project? Does it have to be so large? If it is, how can they set up their production and marketing process to manage it? They already spent years on failures like these, with no clear direction, roadmap or even a vision of what they want to do.

It needs to be a large project to get this game working. It's a huge overworld that's need to be created so we can explore. I'd be fucking pissed if this turns out being some crappy fucking path type game. It needs to be open world like the original.

vareon

At this rate they'll repurpose the remake as a Visual Novel using super high quality CG assets meant for in-game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hmm is it really?
I have a feeling they will cut corners and cut things out due to lack of time and funds.

Well, I think that's true for any FF game of the modern era -_-

Is this game getting the same budget as final fantasy XV did? I doubt it. I hope I'm wrong but it just feels like that.

I don't know if comparing budgets is helpful (seems like apples and oranges comparing a singular 10 year project to a project envisioned as being of multiple parts from the start)

But essentially each part in the VIIR project will serve as a mainline FF release as far as their dev resources and hopes for revenue are concerned.

Sanctuary

I still don't understand the point of episodic releases. It literally feels like beta testing a game in development.

BocoDragon

I still don't understand the point of episodic releases. It's literally feels like beta testing a game in development.

That's like saying FFXIII is a beta test for the XIII trilogy in development.

Which is true... resources for the first game will be channelled into future games.

But part 1 of VIIR alone will be 30-40 hours no doubt. The worries about "beta testing" don't make sense if a single part is a full game experience.

Although he can't say much at the moment, he also stresses they won't be removing any parts of the original FFVII that were well received, such as the Materia system.

The hell? Were they thinking of taking out one of the CORE things about this game? Its not FF7 if I cannot mix and max materia around, where I can get that off chance of using magic counter to get Knights of the Round 4 times

Mythos

Depends on the team headlining it. I'm honestly not sure there'll be too much time between FF7 remake and 16 at this rate.

They are really terrible about managing projects, we used to get FF games every 2 years. KH, FFVIIR, FFXII Remasters. Tabata's Team is working on FFXV and DLC... yeah no FFXVI for a very long time. >.>

Reallink

They're going to release this when PS4/Xbone are on their deathbed, it'll look a generation old, fail to meet sales expectations, and the rest of the episodes will be canceled.

Sanctuary

That's like saying FFXIII is a beta test for the XIII trilogy in development.

No, it's really not.

But part 1 of VIIR alone will be 30-40 hours no doubt. The worries about "beta testing" don't make sense if a single part is a full game experience.

Yeah right. Give me a break. My first playthrough of FFVII when it was first released was 47 hours, and that included killing the weapons. They aren't going to make the remake two and a half to three times the size of the original.

Yeah right. Give me a break. My first playthrough of FFVII when it was first released was 47 hours, and that included killing the weapons. They aren't going to make the remake two and a half to three times the size of the original.

I mean, straight out of the horse's mouth they said the planned completion time for each VII episode was going to run roughly that of an entry in the XIII series. Looking at the content of the original and imagining it brought up to modern standards and combining that expectation with the knowledge that they plan to add new content on top of it, it doesn't seem like a stretch.

A Year Ago:

How's production going?

Kitase: ”We're at the stage where we can say we're finally getting started. We have ideas regarding battles, too, but it will take time to drop them into the actual game."

Today:

Kitase says. ”We can now see the line of quality that we're aiming for more clearly, but there's still a ways to go."

Maybe next year we can get another artwork.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No, it's really not.

I don't believe that was the norm.

mp1990

Banned
maybe they'll just cancel it and do FFXVI with cloud 🤔

but then they'll replace aerith with a girl that looks just like aerith but people will complain anyway

People are worried about the episodic released because we're afraid of another Half-Life situation. We've been burned once and we're afraid to be burned again.

BocoDragon

No, it's really not..

It is, but you haven't grasped this project accurately.

This is going to be a series of full-length games based upon the VII story.

Yes, they will.

And it isn't even that they're puffing up an old game with extra content for the fun of it, or to justify multiple episodes. Translating the story/world of FFVII to modern game standards inherently creates a much larger project.

Let's consider a single area in FFVII.... say, Wall Market.

The original was 3 pre-rendered jPEGs with 10-15 simple polygon NPCs in it. Essentially 3 rooms, and a small handful of dialogue boxes that you could read faster than you read this post.

In a modern game, that will be a much larger space to be worthy of exploration and worthy of being a "town". 3 rooms won't cut it. And it will have unique NPCs with voiced dialogue, cinematically directed cutscenes, side quests, and tons of little visual and gameplay details. What was a 20 minute sequence in the original game might be 2-3 hours of gameplay or more.

Now apply that to every town, sequence, cutscene. Everything will get blown up 10x as a mere fact of being translated to modern game development.

If you wanted FFVII with a new coat of paint, they'd be done by now. Just re-render all the backgrounds and put higher poly characters on top. But that's not what this is. It's a new AAA game based on the original story.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I mean, straight out of the horse's mouth they said the planned completion time for each VII episode was going to run roughly that of an entry in the XIII series. Looking at the content of the original and imagining it brought up to modern standards and combining that expectation with the knowledge that they plan to add new content on top of it, it doesn't seem like a stretch.

Yeah and look how long they said XV would be compared to how long it actually is.

BocoDragon

I'm willing to put money down on XVI being announced before EP1 is out.

I'd be saddened if they didn't.

Most previous mainline FF games were announced before their own predecessor was even released (XIII was announced before XII came out in the west, XIV was announced before XIII, XV was announced before XIV...)

Yeah and look how long they said XV would be compared to how long it actually is.

You certainly could just assume every press release is a lie and you might even have a decent basis for believing so. This is a different team, though, with a higher pedigree than Tabata's team if only for the inclusion of folks like Kitase. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and take them at their word for now.

Conan-san

I ain't getting ATB out of this (and I really doubt SE of 2020 will have the balls to pull off so much 90's OVA Bullshit as OG FF7 does) so it really just behoves me to keep on trucking with the Steam release of FF7 and whatever mods I want out of qhimm.

Philippo

Wow, until recently i was pretty optimistic about this project, and that the first episode would come out soon (even this year given the anniversary of the OG game), but Kitase and Nomura's comments, plus the non-existent showing yesterday (although that might have been more fault of who wrote the event since nothing got properly shown), but damn...
I mean, you have a supposedly quick engine like UE4, you're outsourcing to shortening the dev times, and make it episodic right for the purpose of pushing out the early parts sooner, and after almost two years this is all they can say?

This is going to turn out like Versus XIII/XV, isn't it? If we get a Part 1 before the gen ends we're lucky.

At least let's hope that XVI is left in the hands of someone who isn't the familiar names always associated with slow developement.

black070

No, Compilation of FFVII was a line of FFVII-related media (Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis, Crisis Core).

They're saying they don't have any plans to do new spin-off games or movies. They're just focusing on the remake.

Well that's good news.. :p

.. and my hope for a FFVIII PS4 port continues.

Go_Ly_Dow

You already have the perfect blueprint to work with S-E, the original FFVII.

Any later than Q1 2018 would be very frustrating.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
If you wanted FFVII with a new coat of paint, they'd be done by now. Just re-render all the backgrounds and put higher poly characters on top. But that's not what this is. It's a new AAA game based on the original story.

In other words, another overly ambitious SE project with no clear design other than "we want it big, modern and cool". Even though none of this is necessary to appreciate the story or indeed the game.
Maybe just giving it a new coat of paint and tightening the screw here and there really is what they need to do...

Cloukyo

Banned
I'll probably still be gaming in a couple of years, and there are plenty of other games coming out in the meantime. I don't know why everyone is so frustrated.

All I want is for this to be GOOD, even if they have to take their time. Don't want a rushed/unfinished car crash like FFXV

I can't imagine how much work has to be put into this, honestly, I imagine converting the goofy plot of FF7 into something digestible today, with coherent storytelling and expanded plot, is probably harder than coming up with something from scratch. It makes sense that this game will take a long time to make. Hell, if episodic releases means this game will be the fucking biggest and most involving game of all time, spanning years of investment, all the better.

As long as they do it right.

The only news was ff6 my personal favourite has been mentioned by the studio. Yeah they announced ff7 way too early. Doesn't sound like they've made much progress other than confirming the games direction.

King Kye

Banned
Just a dumb publisher. They need to seriously shutup about this game for a while and hope people forget they announced it.

Same with KH3.

Fraxin

Wow, until recently i was pretty optimistic about this project, and that the first episode would come out soon (even this year given the anniversary of the OG game), but Kitase and Nomura's comments, plus the non-existent showing yesterday (although that might have been more fault of who wrote the event since nothing got properly shown), but damn...
I mean, you have a supposedly quick engine like UE4, you're outsourcing to shortening the dev times, and make it episodic right for the purpose of pushing out the early parts sooner, and after almost two years this is all they can say?

This is going to turn out like Versus XIII/XV, isn't it? If we get a Part 1 before the gen ends we're lucky.

At least let's hope that XVI is left in the hands of someone who isn't the familiar names always associated with slow developement.

People thought that UE4 would speed up the development. I think it's not luminous or unreal is the issue. It's Square being very slow in game development no matter what engine they use.

Top Bottom