• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshinori Ono comments on Street Fighter 5 buttslap and related changes

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh please.
I'll accept the stupidity, but boredom has got nothing to do with this.
On the contrary, it's boring because it's such a creatively bankrupt cliché.

Boob/butt pose is an annoying pose to see (for some people) because it's yet another flag for gender inequality in society through objectification and sexualization
Well, of course, that's the main issue, it's just compounded by the fact that it's a ridiculously awkward pose to begin with.

Hyun Sai

In a interview with Director of Brand Marketing and Esports for Capcom, Matt Dahlgren... the changes were made because Street Fighter is a family friendly franchise and to keep a T rating.

Family friendly. <nods>

RG0BS1U.gif

Well, this makes much more sense than Ono explanation (unless something was lost in translation) and as the changes were made around the rating approval, it was not very difficult to guess. Good to have the confirmation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
RG0BS1U.gif

Well, this makes much more sense than Ono explanation (unless something was lost in translation) and as the changes were made around the rating approval, it was not very difficult to guess. Good to have the confirmation.

Makes sense in terms of appeasing the ESRB, but I don't think it makes sense in terms of actual content, relative to other games that do achieve an 'M' rating - games like Call of Duty or Mortal Kombat, where you commit mass murder or graphically disembowel your enemies. I mean seriously... that stuff is on par with playful buttslaps and muscle busters, and would push a T rating to an M? The priorities here seem off.

The ESRB, like the MPAA and RIAA, have really puritan sensibilities regarding sex-positive attitudes and violence. Blowing soldiers up in Saving Private Ryan? That's an R. Boobs in Showgirls? NC-17 :/

Neoxon

In a interview with Director of Brand Marketing and Esports for Capcom, Matt Dahlgren... the changes were made because Street Fighter is a family friendly franchise and to keep a T rating.

Family friendly. <nods>
To be fair, the ESRB can be dicks about this kind of stuff. We lost a Tharja trophy in Smash 4 because of them.

So they changed the game for everyone, because of the american rating system? I don't believe this.
Edit: Buttslap would push it to mature, but Hot Ryu and Chun are okay?

Pachinko

Don't forget guys and gals, the ESRB doesn't just slap a T or an M on a game, they also have the full content descriptors and it's likely the ass slap was apparent enough to add a "sexual content" tag on there that may not have otherwise shown up. I seem to recall they had a rating done a couple months back that had this board convinced the 2P bounce was there to stay so perhaps Capcom just wants to remove that from the equation ?

I still don't really understand the big deal. I got into the stress test on thursday for a few minutes and didn't really notice the difference. Certainly it doesn't linger so low for so long but between the animation and sound effects , there's no mistaking what's going on there. Literally all that's missing is those 12 frames of jiggling butt cheek , which are still happening, just below where the camera is looking now.

But here we are, 2 threads and hundreds of comments later.

America makes up a lot of their sales, so I wouldn't be surprised. If I recall, it was the ESRB who didn't take kindly to the upskirt shots for Peach & Tharja's trophy.

Okay, but why is it changed in Japan as well ( I guess?) or the rest of the world.
I don't believe the ESRB thing a second, it's the opposite of what Ono said, too.
I mean I can and will live with this, but it's laughable.

RM8

As I said, the ESRB thing makes the most sense to me.

- It was changed around the time the game got rated (this is the biggest one IMO)
- We know ESRB can be odd about these things: see Tharja's trophy
- People complained about Mika indeed... about her costume - which remains unchanged
- Matt Dahlgren's interview

In the end we'll never know, but I'm going this one.

Don't forget guys and gals, the ESRB doesn't just slap a T or an M on a game, they also have the full content descriptors and it's likely the ass slap was apparent enough to add a "sexual content" tag on there that may not have otherwise shown up. I seem to recall they had a rating done a couple months back that had this board convinced the 2P bounce was there to stay so perhaps Capcom just wants to remove that from the equation ?

I still don't really understand the big deal. I got into the stress test on thursday for a few minutes and didn't really notice the difference. Certainly it doesn't linger so low for so long but between the animation and sound effects , there's no mistaking what's going on there. Literally all that's missing is those 12 frames of jiggling butt cheek , which are still happening, just below where the camera is looking now.

Feels like a big chunk of discussion around SFV is its aesthetics, especially with anything related to the "Hot Edition" as of now. Things being removed from a game in-development that are liked, for whatever reason, is going to get talked about. Maybe with Mika there was a perfect storm of "a character fans have begged for and been teased about for years," "with how many people loved what was, before the alteration," the "why change/remove that but not other things so far," and "getting confirmation after all this time as to why they made that change."

Comments from the Capcom Brand Marketing Director will probably settle a lot of discussion about at least the R. Mika stuff, but I can never tell with GAF on things like this.

UrbanRats

On the contrary, it's boring because it's such a creatively bankrupt cliché.
No, because nobody gives two shits about other very common poses, like crossed arms or whatever, and they certainly don't become "boring clichès" because of that.
So the political implication is really the only spark here, which is a perfectly fine discussion to have, but when you try to imply that there's more to it than that, you get embarrassing mental (and literal, given some posts) gymnastics, like we've seen here, trying to argue whether a cartoon can bend its spine more than a normal human or not.

Bait for what exactly? I think I explained myself below that paragraph you quoted. Yeah, her ass is used as a weapon in the rest of the move, in a comical fashion, but the SLAP specifically was something more of a kinky extra, imho - and since that is the thing being removed, either Capcom or PEGI has the same thoughts about that.

Yeah, cannot have ass slapping in Street Fighter. Too kinky.

Y4kAowV.gif

melchior_

Here's the full quote:

Ah yes, "family friendly" fighting game Street Fighter where random strangers beat the crap out of each other in the most ridiculous ways possible.

That's what they say but it's the most ridiculous claim in the world and probably just PR. There are dozens of games under the sun with T ratings containing far, far more content than something like Mika's animations, even fellow fighting games like Guilty Gear or DoA are T-rated. The ESRB are lenient when it comes to this.

Actually....
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...available-pre-purchase-steam-pc-beta-details/

&#8220;ESRB Rating: Mature with Blood and Gore, Intense Violence&#8221;. It seems that Street Fighter 5 may have received a preliminary ESRB rating of Mature for the first time in franchise history, which is big news for the development of this new title. Though Street Fighter has its fair share of violence, it has never skirted above a teen rating, with "gore" being completely new for the franchise as well."

So yeah, it seems like it was quite possible this was done to ensure a T rating. It still seems a bit odd that a buttslap would bump it up to M but then I've heard the ESRB tends to be pretty inconsistent anyway.

PtM

Banned

This would have made most sense to me, but:

Actually....
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...available-pre-purchase-steam-pc-beta-details/

“ESRB Rating: Mature with Blood and Gore, Intense Violence”. It seems that Street Fighter 5 may have received a preliminary ESRB rating of Mature for the first time in franchise history, which is big news for the development of this new title. Though Street Fighter has its fair share of violence, it has never skirted above a teen rating, with "gore" being completely new for the franchise as well."

So yeah, it seems like it was quite possible this was done to ensure a T rating. It still seems a bit odd that a buttslap would bump it up to M but then I've heard the ESRB tends to be pretty inconsistent anyway.
There was no sexual content tag? Then how did the camera change help the ratings?

What GORE? Unless there's a cutscene where someone's chest get rips open with a shoryuken, I can't imagine there being a single bit of gore in this game.

melchior_

This would have made most sense to me, but:

There was no sexual content tag? Then how did the camera change help the ratings?

Good question! I'm curious myself. In any case, the game did have a preliminary rating of M and they didn't get an official T rating until shortly after the changes were made so, uh.......i dunno. D:

The blood and gore bit have me scratching my head as well.

Top Bottom