• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yoshi's Woolly World |OT| It's So Fluffy I'm Gonna Die!

Malus

After getting a little more time to listen to it (due to dying repeatedly in Boss Rush), "Vs Miss Cluck the Insincere" is my favorite track in the game. Not by a lot though.

I take it back, Frozen Solid and Chilled is the best.

Just flipping through the sound test lol.

Yukinari

After getting 100% in this game i gotta say the special levels are so good that they top any special level from 2D Mario. They almost feel like Rayman Origins/Legends.

Visuals, music and difficulty of the game in general are better than Epic Yarn. I feel like the hype for Epic Yarn was only because it was a new console kirby title. Woolly World also shits on its contemporaries like DS and New Island.

Idk does this game get better? I beat the first world and I found it to be bland as hell. I loved Yoshi island on the Snes and yoshi world N64.

jgwhiteus

Slowly working my way through this game when I have time; just finished World 1 after re-doing levels to make sure I had all yarn pieces and flowers (not bothering with stamps or those heart thingies though...) And then 1-S appeared, and... what the crap, how did the difficulty spike so much? Also, I never knew it was possible for Yoshi to do repeated flutter-jumps to avoid falling in pits; I felt I was constantly mashing the A-button in 1-S while waiting for water platforms to appear.

Really enjoying the game so far, there's a lot of creativity and charm in the levels - honestly I probably wouldn't have picked this up if it wasn't for the green yarn Amiibo, but I'm glad I did.

2-S was...surprisingly not as bad as 1-S. I only missed the first flower on the first go, but other than that, I got through the whole thing in one life. I just took the collectibles before guiding the Monty Mole, so it took me one try.

Josh5890

The GF and I finished World 1 yesterday. This game is a fun 2D platformer that deserves the love it gets. (So far at least)

Idk does this game get better? I beat the first world and I found it to be bland as hell. I loved Yoshi island on the Snes and yoshi world N64.

I mean, if you loved those games, yet this isn't grabbing you, perhaps your tastes have changed in the years since playing those. I'd say that if you aren't having a good time by World 2, your opinion is likely to stay the same.

NateDrake

I let my mother borrow my copy of the game last week as she loved Yoshi's Island on SNES. Went by to visit today and she's on World 5 and loving the game. She tries to collect all the yarn in the levels to see the different Yoshi designs.

Had to chime in, considering some of the other replies you've been getting. I was like you. Midway through World 1, I was beginning to wonder if I'd wasted my money on yet another milquetoast Yoshi sequel. It wasn't until World 2 where the game really started grabbing me with really clever level design and mechanics. I'm currently on World 4, and absolutely loving it -- even went back to World 1 and am enjoying it way more the second time around (I'm actually searching for the hidden items, whereas before I couldn't be arsed).

Oh, and the game's one of the few platformers that's an absolute joy to play co-op. My gf and I were in stitches playing it together over the weekend. I'd say stick with it :)

ASIS

Had to chime in, considering some of the other replies you've been getting. I was like you. Midway through World 1, I was beginning to wonder if I'd wasted my money on yet another milquetoast Yoshi sequel. It wasn't until World 2 where the game really started grabbing me with really clever level design and mechanics. I'm currently on World 4, and absolutely loving it -- even went back to World 1 and am enjoying it way more the second time around (I'm actually searching for the hidden items, whereas before I couldn't be arsed).

Oh, and the game's one of the few platformers that's an absolute joy to play co-op. My gf and I were in stitches playing it together over the weekend. I'd say stick with it :)
How's the difficulty in co-op? I'm sure it's no DK but I'd hate it if was like the first 6 worlds of SM3DW, difficulty-wise.

Thanks. I'll get to world 2 today. I just wasn't exactly enthralled by the game from the first levels overall. I had just bought Captain Toad a week before and I loved it immediately so yeah.. I'll see.

Edit: Okay I just played up to level 2-3. Level 2-3 was really nice. Put a legit smile on my face at the end.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yo woollyGAF this game's taken me by surprise. I'm at the end of world 2 and each level has been a blast. This platformer is fresh as those sealed Woolly yoshi amiibos I got lying around.

Maybe my expectations were really in check from that Yoshis Island game on 3DS

doofy102

I finally like the game, and here's why: It wasn't as fun when I didn't give a shit about the gems. I cared about the flowers/yarns but not the gems. When I crave gems, the game feels so different. Watching that stamp counter go up mid-level is tense.

Adaren

Been playing co-op and just got to World 6. If it weren't for Bloodborne, this would undoubtedly be my GOTY. Absolutely fantastic.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Such a lust for wool

TripOpt55

Finished this tonight. What a wonderful game. The yarn aesthetic is so cute and makes for a consistently great looking game. And this is some damn fine exploration-based platforming. Really impressed with all the mechanics/level design ideas they are introducing. I am going to go back to try to unlock some of the secret levels and more of the different Yoshis. Definitely the best Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island.

jb1234

2-S is absolute fucking bullshit.

Edit: FINALLY beat it. Pissed me off. Anyway, I'm just a sliver under 10 hours, up to 5-4 and I've 100% the first two worlds. Great game and the levels are getting more and more creative as I advance.

Joei

2-S is absolute fucking bullshit.

Edit: FINALLY beat it. Pissed me off. Anyway, I'm just a sliver under 10 hours, up to 5-4 and I've 100% the first two worlds. Great game and the levels are getting more and more creative as I advance.

Omg, 2-S pissed me off so much, took me like an hour or so, 3-s was a pain too.

My thoughts on the game as well. I'm in world 4 and have 100% on everything through world 3, been a really enjoyable game, more so than I originally thought.

Anyone like using the different skins for Yoshi? My favorite by far is the Mega Man Amiibo skin. I love the blue on him and the general design.

jb1234

I've changed my mind on the music in the game, especially the further in I get. The snow levels in particular have delightful, happy tunes.

jb1234

Man, 3-S is pissing me off. It took me several tries to even beat it and getting 100% is proving to be very challenging.

jariw

Man, 3-S is pissing me off. It took me several tries to even beat it and getting 100% is proving to be very challenging.

The S levels get increasingly more difficult during the game, but in various ways. 4-S is a challenge to complete, while 5-S is a challenge to 100%, for example. The diversity of the S levels is one of the best things of the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've 100%ed the game, and I still want to keep playing it. I kinda can't believe how well it turned out. It's incredibly satisfying on its own, and it's the follow up to Yoshi's Island I've wanted all this time.

It's kinda weird. I feel like if this was the last game to come out on the Wii U, I'd be completely satisfied with that. It's a masterpiece.

It seems like the library's copy was unfortunately stolen while it was on the hold shelf for me. They extended my pick-up date when they couldn't find it (and I'd searched well myself), then called other libraries when I came back, but it hadn't been sent anywhere by accident.

I feel bad for them and wish they'd put games behind the counter. But they don't want to be bullied into that.

Ended up getting a code from a friend, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Hopefully this weekend. It got some good reviews.

Been playing a bit and after the ok first world i am starting to enjoy it, its been picking up

lots of dawwwww moments and fun platforming B^)

better than yoshis new island and thats all that counts

jb1234

It seems like the library's copy was unfortunately stolen while it was on the hold shelf for me. They extended my pick-up date when they couldn't find it (and I'd searched well myself), then called other libraries when I came back, but it hadn't been sent anywhere by accident.

I feel bad for them and wish they'd put games behind the counter. But they don't want to be bullied into that.

Ended up getting a code from a friend, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Hopefully this weekend. It got some good reviews.

I'm surprised that your library lends out games to begin with. I'm jealous.

mrmickfran

3-S was freaking awesome except for those bloody moles. Can I start a petition to ban Monty from future Mario titles?

The spiky guy before that gave me more issues. He kept getting stuck.

I had to YT that part. I didn't even try lol

EDIT: Gamecube Yoshi is the best Yoshi.

KooopaKid

Banned
The scratch level was my favorite! So cool! A shame only a handful of levels were really creative and playing on the fabric mechanically and not just visually. Solid platformer overall.

mrmickfran

That curtain level was straight out of DKC.

Sooo good.

Also, playing through 4-S has made me realize that I would probably hate this game if you had to collect all the items in one go. Thank God they changed that.

zroid

Banned
I finally played Up Shuttlethread Pass last night, and I remembered that it had caused some divisiveness here earlier.

I liked the stage a lot actually, my only problem with it was that one section where
you had to slowly ascend a moving platform was pretty annoying. The platform just moved way too slowly and you had to cover too much distance on it, especially since I had to re-do it multiple times after falling or needing to grab collectibles and whatnot.

In general though I enjoy the stages where you have to flip between the two planes.

codhand

digging it so far, but i cant help but feel that Kirby's EY, with his amorphous abilities, is better suited to the whole yarn theme. also the various vehicles and things you could become in EY was a unique touch.

I am in love with this game!
This must be one of the most beautiful looking games I've ever seen. The woollen world feels very authentic and alive. Nintendo really knows how to put out a great art style.

Gameplay feels solid too, and surprisingly challenging. I'm only at the half of world 2 but 100%ed every level so far.

The only things I dislike so far are some of the hidden 'winged clouds' (which make you jump at every corner so you don't miss one) and the bonus games (I don't see the point of them and I accidently pick them at the end).

Joei

I finally played Up Shuttlethread Pass last night, and I remembered that it had caused some divisiveness here earlier.

I liked the stage a lot actually, my only problem with it was that one section where
you had to slowly ascend a moving platform was pretty annoying. The platform just moved way too slowly and you had to cover too much distance on it, especially since I had to re-do it multiple times after falling or needing to grab collectibles and whatnot.

In general though I enjoy the stages where you have to flip between the two planes.

The music in world 5, and that level specifically, is phenomenal. I love sitting back and having world 5 theme play in the background.

Neiteio

This game is marvelous.

I bought it the day it came out (complete with fuzzy wuzzy Yarn Yoshi amiibo — D'AWW!), but I've only been playing it when one of my best friends is over. We're going through the entire game in co-op.

We usually hang out on Friday nights, so it's been slow going, but we're now on the fourth world. And man, what a game. Part of me does wonder if I'd burn out on it if I played it regularly... but taking my time with it, it's just a wonderful experience.

You definitely need to let go of any OCD completionist tendencies to fully enjoy it, though. There's just so much STUFF to find. We're focusing on the Wonder Wools first (best collectible in a Mario game? Quite possibly!) and the Flowers second. Not too worried about the stamps, lol.

Everything in the game has such a good feel to it... And I just realized I unwittingly made a pun! But it's true: From the way the fabric floors deform under Yoshi's feet, to the addictive unraveling of walls and enemies, it's a very tactile game. And OMG, the motorcycle minigame is ridiculously fun. It could be a full-fledged game in its own right. YOSHI CYCLE!

Also, the soundtrack is a sleeper hit. Between this OST and the one in Transformers: Devastation, there has been some great music this quarter. :)

Top Bottom