• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

redcrayon

I'm 30+ from UK. I and literally everyone I knew at the time called them NES (pronounced Nezz) and SNES (pronounced Snezz).

Whatcha got OP?

:p

Well put. Ness was a Loch monster from Scotland and laterly a Nintendo character from Earthbound.

And pronouncing Snez as 'Sness' would have been offence worthy of several months of ridicule in my schools (grew up in Yorkshire then Channel Islands)
What I find interesting is that it spread all over the UK fairly quickly- in this thread alone you've got people from Scotland, the North, the Midlands, your good self and then me (grew up in Hertfordshire) confirming it. To me that implies it's probably down to a cultural thing preferring to shorten a phrase to a 'friendlier' perceived informal reference, rather than the greater regard given to the precise 'official' name in the US, in the same way that the BBC was 'the beeb', an umbrella a 'brolly' or a Spectrum is a 'speccy'.

Having said that, although some credited Bad Influence for 'SNEZ', Urban Dictionary suggests Your Sinclair magazine coined 'Speccy', so maybe it was the media after all!

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Here in Scotland, it will forever be called the Snez.

I'm popping into my local game store this afternoon to ask them if they have any pre-orders left for the Snez Classic. It wouldn't ever have occurred to me to ask in any other way.

I didn't call it anything--I was a Sega kid.

You want to start something pal?

OP needs to check his facts. Nearly every box (both US and Europe) says that it contains a Super NES control deck, not Super Nintendo.
And that picture from a T-shirt (I think) is only half the logo, it should have Entertainment System in a red bar underneath it.

Call it whatever you like.

What I find interesting is that it spread all over the UK fairly quickly- in this thread alone you've got people from Scotland, the North, the Midlands, your good self and then me (grew up in Hertfordshire) confirming it. To me that implies it's probably down to a cultural thing preferring to shorten a phrase to a 'friendlier' perceived informal reference, rather than the greater regard given to the precise 'official' name in the US, in the same way that the BBC was 'the beeb', an umbrella a 'brolly' or a Spectrum is a 'speccy'.

Having said that, although some credited Bad Influence for 'SNEZ', Urban Dictionary suggests Your Sinclair magazine coined 'Speccy', so maybe it was the media after all!

Yeah, reckon there's a lot of truth in that, really well put.

I grew up in London and then the South Midlands and it was Snez in both schools.

Dread to think what will happen when people find out about Maccie D's...

Feffe

Anyone not saying "Super Famicom" is wrong by they way. Just like "A Link to the Past" is a fake title and the third Zelda is called "Kamigami no Triforce". Castlevania? I don't know what you are talking about, but Akumajou Dracula is a great series

Z..

Here in Scotland, it will forever be called the Snez.

That is the case pretty much everywhere in Europe. I'll take the chance to remind our North American friends that we outnumber them 2 to 1 so "snez" isn't that crazy when you think about it.

Famassu

I might refer to it as Super Nintendo or sometimes I'll say SNES much like I say NASA like NASA, not N. A. S. A. or The National Aeronautics and Space Administration.

Anyone not saying "Super Famicom" is wrong by they way. Just like "A Link to the Past" is a fake title and the third Zelda is called "Kamigami no Triforce". Castlevania? I don't know what you are talking about, but Akumajou Dracula is a great series

Sssh.

D.Lo

I read UK magazines back then (CVG, Total, Sega Power, Super Play) and many of them also called Nintendo 'Ninty'.

But I just took a look at an old Total and they called it the 'Super Nintendo' and 'Super NES' at least in this issue.

Ronin7th

Neo Member
Londoner now residing in Scotland. Super Nintendo is way too long and pronouncing SNES, Sness instead of SNEZ will get you a raised eyebrow. Or a tut. It's on par with calling a Scone (sconn), a (scone) up here. Bad form OP.

SomTervo

Is that a stealth title edit?

Es En Ee Es?
Su-per Nin-ten-do?

e65.gif

SNESS. It's one syllable. You barely have to open your mouth to even make that sound. It's beautiful!

Yes, baby

Mostly use "Super Nintendo." Once in a while "Super N.E.S". When I was a kid, "S.N.E.S"

But good lord, never "sness"... not even once

I never heard "snes" until podcasts. When I was a kid, we just called it Nintendo or super Nintendo. Genesis was either genesis or just Sega.

Nes and Snes as words still feels like a weird internet only thing to me. I've never met a person in real life who refers to them in this way.

I feel like everyone called it the Super Nintendo when I was a kid including myself. Then when emulators started taking off I feel like the world slowly shifted to SNES.

Also lol at the title change

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Loool title change

je voudrais deux bouteilles du jambon

Omelette du fromage

La snesse

ElfArmy177

It's super Nintendo, wtf is wrong with GAF? I've never heard sness, only S.N.E.S at times. People are fucking weird, sness doesn't even sound like a word, more like you're having a seizure

Jashobeam

i grew up in that era and no one I knew called it Sness, we said each letter "S" "N" "E" "S", because we used to call the original nintendo "N" "E" "S", never "ness" like a whole word. or we called it Super "N" "E" "S".

It annoys me when I hear it referred to as "sness" and I instantly lose a bit of respect for anyone that does.

Can we just stop for a second.

There are a whole bunch of people bad-mouthing Sness, Snesssssss and La Snesse. Fine, people who use those terms are straight-up cunts (sorry but that's an empirical truth). However, I don't see too many posters admitting to that. The war on Sness is a fake war.

The real options are:

ess en ee ess
Super en ee ess
Super Nintendo
and...

Snez. That's Snez with a zed. Not this minority Sness bullshit. Snez.

I get the feeling that people are lumping the Sness morons in with the glorious Snez massive. Don't tar us with that brush goddamit. We hate Sness as much as you do.

Top Bottom