• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can we just stop for a second.

There are a whole bunch of people bad-mouthing Sness, Snesssssss and La Snesse. Fine, people who use those terms are straight-up cunts (sorry but that's an empirical truth). However, I don't see too many posters admitting to that. The war on Sness is a fake war.

The real options are:

ess en ee ess
Super en ee ess
Super Nintendo
and...

Snez. That's Snez with a zed. Not this minority Sness bullshit. Snez.

I get the feeling that people are lumping the Sness morons in with the glorious Snez massive. Don't tar us with that brush goddamit. We hate Sness as much as you do.

Yes, a poor OP has made this distinction between Sness and Snez unclear.

That and anything other than Snez is wrong.

panda-zebra

Banned
S... N... E... S... I can only picture a dalek saying it that way.

Where mega drive has a punchier but genuinely sublime cellar door quality to how it flows from the tongue, speaking out the painfully staccato Su-per-Nin-ten-do leaves my face tired from dealing with... everything.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
This is an important issue and I'm glad to see the community finally tackling it. The sloppy, hissing noise pollution that is "ssnesss" should have been nipped in the bud in the 90s.

It's a game console called Super Nintendo or S.N.E.S., not an onomatopoeia for smearing fresh dogshit onto dry leaves.

Joffy

Neo Member
I got a SNES for my 7th birthday and I still call it SNEZZ. Fewer syllables for the win. It's why I'm buying an Exbwonx later this year.

Smax

It's Super Nintendo or Sness for short for me.
Super N.E.S. or S.N.E.S. is too clunky you might as well say the full 'Super Nintendo' orally.

Drac84

I lived through the Super Nintendo era in Australia

giphy.gif

Back then we called it the Super Nintendo, the Super Ness, and yes, the Sness.

When the mini classic was announced my first instinct was to call it the Sness. Come at me.

Someone tell me the logic of SNEZ?>?>>>>

Why the fucking Z sound of all things?

There's an ess at the front and and ess at the end but it one becomes ezz for some reason?

THAT. MAKES. 0. SENSE.

Well now I call it 'snez', not quite 'sness' but that could be an accent thing (I'm British)

& Yeah we had one when I was like 4years old and it was already an oldish system then. No idea what we called it back then, probably just Nintendo?

I'm gonna keep calling it 'snez' though :)

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I always said Super Nintendo.

Typing it out, SNES. This just fits better especially if talking about the NES with it.

Sness just doesnt sound right.

There's an ess at the front and and ess at the end but it one becomes ezz for some reason?

THAT. MAKES. 0. SENSE.

We often say something like "says" as "sez" "Tommy sez this though" to cut it short but writing would be says. We also have lots of slang names like Baz Daz Mez Caz for Barry Catherine Carry Darren and so on.

redcrayon

We often say something like "says" as "sez" "Tommy sez this though" to cut it short but writing would be says. We also have lots of slang names like Baz Daz Mez Caz for Barry Catherine Carry Darren and so on.
True. My classmates Gary, Terry, Sharon and Jeremy were Gaz, Tezza, Shaz and Jez respectively when I was at school (and probably much to the chagrin of their parents!). In U.K. Newspapers at the time you also had Paul 'Gazza' Gascoigne (footballer) and Michael 'Hezza' Heseltine (politician).

https://english.stackexchange.com/q...with-azza-azzer-a-standard-cockney-nicknaming

Ever since we got one back in 91, we always either called it Super Nintendo or Super NES. I've never even heard "sness" ever in my life up until maybe hearing it on a Giantbomb or some other podcast. Sounds so wrong.

How is it anything besides S.N.E.S? I honestly hate the overuse of the word cringe but when you heart them on YouTube saying ssnesss it's like what do you call a VHS then or DVD?

Synth

How is it anything besides S.N.E.S? I honestly hate the overuse of the word cringe but when you heart them on YouTube saying ssnesss it's like what do you call a VHS then or DVD?

Oh for the love of god, how can so many people repeat the same nonsense? You speak the individual letters for abbreviations like DVD and VHS because they don't phonetically work when spoken as a word. This isn't the case with SNES, just as it isn't with ISO, BIOS or LASER.

The slightest bit of actual thought makes the difference obvious, and it's just embarrassing for anyone that makes the argument tbh.

I've always wondered why people thought it was fine to spell out S-N-E-S in normal conversation.
Like let's go play S-N-E-S.

It's long and dumb.

Dunkley

I refer at it as Super Nintendo when talking IRL, S-N.E.S. (because for some reason I do a weird pause before the NES) when talking in online voice chat (distinction there is with former I speak in German, and the latter in English), and last but least, I call it SNES in text.

Oh for the love of god, how can so many people repeat the same nonsense? You speak the individual letters for abbreviations like DVD and VHS because they don't phonetically work when spoken as a word. This isn't the case with SNES, just as it isn't with ISO, BIOS or LASER.

The slightest bit of actual thought makes the difference obvious, and it's just embarrassing for anyone that makes the argument tbh.

Don't get offended because you pronounce things wrong.

Taker666

THAT. MAKES. 0. SENSE.

It makes perfect sense.

Think of words that end with the letters "nes" - Tunes, drones,cones, planes, fines, shines,shrines, lines, mines, tones, runes, prunes.

When spoken they all end with a Z sound.

Hell, Ubisoft named a whole series of games based around the S at the end of a word sounding like a Z (Petz- Dogz, Catz, Tigerz, Dolphinz, Hamsterz, Bunnyz, Monkeyz).

mindatlarge

As a kid growing up with one in the US, 'til now, I have always refereed to it as the SNES, in acronym form. Like others have pointed out, I think referring to it as the Snez was a more UK thing early on that gained popularity among other people as time has gone on, maybe due to sites like YouTube where there is a diverse cultural pool of content creators.

Top Bottom