• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

Synth

I fucking HATE the sound of "SNES" also... but it was said plenty even back in the day, so your premise is faulty OP.

UK here

SNEZ SNEZ SNEZ

You need two 's' to make a Sness sound, SNES has one 's', therefore SNEZ, like NEZ before it.

Super Nintendo? Ain't nobody got time for that.

-"Sness"

You probably guessed it before clicking on the thread but this is the real reason we're here, to deal with this problem. I want to believe that you weren't alive at the time and so you just don't know any better. Like how you bought a used "VHS Player" to play your "VHS's" and you collect "Vinyls". You weren't around at the time when it was common to hear "Super Nintendo" spoken in public and so when you see the shorthand "SNES" written somewhere it's natural to want to sound it out phonetically and then use it in conversation. Well, you're wrong. Stop doing that.

What I really don't understand are the monsters who, despite being old enough to have been there at the time, continue to propagate this filth. "Sness", "Sness", "Sness". I hear your disgusting voices on podcasts and YouTube videos. I never realized how bad it got until the recent news about the mini Super Nintendo. Where before I could see "SNES" in print and think nothing of it, now I hear your nasally voices every time, "SNESSSSSSSS". I'm going nuts.

If you take anything away from this thread it's to no longer say "Sness" and now, don't even use the shorthand SNES. Just say and write "Super Nintendo".

Thank God the Nintendo 64 doesn't have a horrible sounding acronym.

Almost everyone in the UK called it this then and will continue to now. And it's snez, not "sness", get it right.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
/snɛz/

deal with it

also i had one as a kid and im pretty sure this was how it was most commonly referred to in the UK so

big_erk

giphy.gif

bounchfx

anyone that says 'nes' or 'sness' is sub-human. it's either the nintendo or the N.E.S., and the Super nintendo or the super n.e.s. the rest is just a bastardization of human treasure

People who say sness are terrible. I wish we could ship them all to an island where they can live like the uncivilized monsters they are.

Snes is a UK thing I thought. That's all it was called here from wot I recall.

NES then SNES.

Britain will do.

Deja

All the kids on my estate called it a SNES growing up. It's pronounced "Snez".

SNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNES

Revas

As a kid I mostly referred to it as Super, but we'd also call it SNES or Super Nintendo. Snes just sounds really off to me.

tsundoku

my older brother had a sness and i played basically every game that wasnt a translated japanese game on the actual console first

its pronounced sness or s n e s deal with it

also the n64 has like one good game its barely a console

I will say the average gamer is currently young enough that they way the say it comes simply from how they heard it said by people on the internet (youtubers, podcasts, streamers, game review, etc). Forget commercials or boxes from the 1990s. We are no longer on an age where Kids can't say the names of their toys correctly since they can watch someone said it the proper way within seconds.

espher

Been around since before the NES, can confirm I call it S N E S as often as I call it Super Nintendo.

fite me irl op

Off topic but is SNES the best looking initials for gaming consoles? Especially when italiced. It almost has the perfect symmetry with the S in front and back and the NE fit quite nice next to each other.

javac

Super Nintendo and N.E.S separately all day every day, but I have a hard time pronouncing s' and NES and SNES just sound wrong when coming out of my mouth!

I say Super N.E.S.

Fight me in the parking lot.

But seriously, the worst are the people who still call it a "Super Intendo". There's a fucking 'N' in there, are you 5 years old? The Angry Video Game Nerd does this and it drives me crazy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Super Nintendo

Mega Drive

what the fuck is a Genesis?

molnizzle

Let's focus on the English speaking part of the world where the system was released under one clear distinct name, or so it would seem.

- "Super Nintendo"

Easy. It's what it says on the box. It's what everyone you knew called it. Say it in a store and they know exactly what you're talking about. This is the correct way.

- "Super N.E.S."

Look, you're not wrong but this was really only said in TV commercials. I have to imagine that in addition to saying Super N.E.S., you probably also say "Game Paks" and take the requisite 15 minute break for every 1 hour of play as instructed in the manual. Also, I'm just gonna lump in "S.N.E.S." people here as well because I don't hear it very often and compared to the final group in this list, you sound like angels

-"Sness"

You probably guessed it before clicking on the thread but this is the real reason we're here, to deal with this problem. I want to believe that you weren't alive at the time and so you just don't know any better. Like how you bought a used "VHS Player" to play your "VHS's" and you collect "Vinyls". You weren't around at the time when it was common to hear "Super Nintendo" spoken in public and so when you see the shorthand "SNES" written somewhere it's natural to want to sound it out phonetically and then use it in conversation. Well, you're wrong. Stop doing that.

What I really don't understand are the monsters who, despite being old enough to have been there at the time, continue to propagate this filth. "Sness", "Sness", "Sness". I hear your disgusting voices on podcasts and YouTube videos. I never realized how bad it got until the recent news about the mini Super Nintendo. Where before I could see "SNES" in print and think nothing of it, now I hear your nasally voices every time, "SNESSSSSSSS". I'm going nuts.

If you take anything away from this thread it's to no longer say "Sness" and now, don't even use the shorthand SNES. Just say and write "Super Nintendo".

Thank God the Nintendo 64 doesn't have a horrible sounding acronym.

Nothing but cold, hard facts in this post.

Europe, we will now accept your apology for the "sness" atrocity.

Jezan

Most people in Mexico call it "Super " if they need more details then it's "Super Nintendo".

Like: "Yo tenía el Super "
aka.: "I had the Super (Nintendo)"

Or

"Quieres jugar Super ? Tengo el Killer"
"Do you wanna play Super (Nintendo), I have Killer (Instinct)"

But most people would call it Sness when reading the initials.

I want to believe that you weren't alive at the time and so you just don't know any better. Like how you bought a used "VHS Player" to play your "VHS's" and you collect "Vinyls". You weren't around at the time when it was common to hear "Super Nintendo" spoken in public and so when you see the shorthand "SNES" written somewhere it's natural to want to sound it out phonetically and then use it in conversation. Well, you're wrong. Stop doing that

What is this nonsense

Top Bottom