• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

Gaspard

SNESSsss is horribly caucophonic but it is one syllable and convenience beats all in some minds.

I wasnt there really so I call it Super Nintendo, but all my friends do call it snesss and it's kinda grating.

I called it a "sness" for a long time... I was also born in 1998 so I've got a bit of an excuse, however I have been calling it the "Super N.E.S", is "Super Nintendo" the proper way to say it?

I have always said Nintendo and Super Nintendo. Occasionally we would shorten to the N.E.S. Super N.E.S variation, but it was rare. Anyone that calls it a damn Sness/z is just....

nVO8sqy.gif

styl3s

S.N.E.S is how the cool kids say it.
Every kid at school and all my friends always referred to it as S.N.E.S including myself.

Saying it that way makes the most sense to me but that's because that's how everyone referred to it kind of like how everyone i know refers to 2017 at twenty seventeen not two thousand and seventeen. That being said i know a lot of people who just refer to it as SNES or super nintendo. Never heard super NES.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Do y'all remember when Garnett Lee pronounced it "Ess Ness" on Weekend Confirmed and the crew roasted him lol.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I alternate between "Super Nintendo", "Super NES" and "SNES", with the latter two involving me pronouncing each individual letter.

Pronouncing it "Sness" is just wrong.

You don't go around saying "Fubehaye" for FBI, or "Neeyehpeedeh" for "NYPD".

Nahsah says hi.

Ah, touche.

S.N.E.S is uncomfortable to pronounce in some languages/accents. (the world is not America yet)

Super Nintendo is the short full-ish name, but sometimes you want something shorter, so Snes.

I'm a Super N.E.S. speaking type person thing, personally.

I don't quite get what you're trying to say about me there OP. I say carts though.

weekev

Banned
It's a SNES pronounced sn-e-z if you didn't call it that I'm gonna say your a bit of a weirdo. No one asked to play Super Nintendo.

It was Super Nintendo when it was on the market, but basically as soon as I started referring to NES by its acronym (i.e. when I started using the internet to talk about games) I started saying Super NES also, because NES was no longer just a "Nintendo" with "Super Nintendo" being its only successor.

I sometimes will just pronounce each letter (ess en ee ess) but I'll never say "sness."

Metal-Geo

I alternate between "Super Nintendo", "Super NES" and "SNES", with the latter two involving me pronouncing each individual letter.

So how should one pronounce FUBAR, SNAFU, NASA or GAF?

Gonna play some maireeo on my sness.

I say "Super Nintendo" 90% of the time and "Ess-En-Ee-Ess" occasionally. Never sness. I'm no hillbilly.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Nahsah says hi.

Sness is wrong though, since the final s is hard. It rhymes with fez, which is good because fezzes are good.

Every time one of those fuckers on Giant Bomb says "Sness", I shudder like other people do when someone scratches fingernails down a chalkboard.

But what can you do? You realize this thread isn't going to change a single mind, right?

molnizzle

It's a Snez. Always has been, always will be.

Maybe in the Soviet Union.

God's children of freedom knew it by its real name. Super Nintendo.

Every time one of those fuckers on Giant Bomb says "Sness", I shudder like other people do when someone scratches fingernails down a chalkboard.

This bugs me too because they're not even European. They have no excuse for using that filth.

sonto340

I got a snes for Christmas and my parents who were born in 1957 called it a snes and I still call it a snes and I'll fight to the death to say it as snes

Top Bottom