• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have three options

If the proportions of who chooses what are roughly equal, we can build a new society where the limbless sensors and the senseless movers pair up to reteach all human knowledge to the amnesiacs.

Give it a generation and we're back.

If I had to pick...probably my arms and legs. I already don't use them as much as the other 2 choices, plus in my new civilization I'll get to ride around on a blind, deaf person proclaiming knowledge to the ignorant.

Memories, atleast you can make new ones. With no arms and legs or hearing and seeing you basically cant. Sucks that i would lose some great memories but atleast you have a chance to start anew.

Vuze

Memories is probably the easy choice for oneself imo but obviously the most dramatic for your family and friends. I'd probably choose arms and legs. Prosthetics will get there at some point and a lot of stuff is manageable by voice. But then again, if everybody had to decide between one of these, my plan of getting highly functional replacement limbs will prolly not work out lol

____

I would say memory/history, but then I'll have never been born and I wouldn't know my family. I'm not okay with that.

I would give up memories, however I assume I wouldn't know who my wife and children are anymore so no thanks on that. I would give up my arms and legs.

I would give up memories, however I assume I wouldn't know who my wife and children are anymore so no thanks on that. I would give up my arms and legs.

And what happens when you wake up and they have chosen memories? So you know who they are but they have no clue who you are. You are now just the crazy guy with no arms or legs asking why they wont help you?

And what happens when you wake up and they have chosen memories? So you know who they are but they have no clue who you are. You are now just the crazy guy with no arms or legs asking why they wont help you?

That is a risk I am willing to take.

Also my children are 3 and 9 months so if the memory wipe happened to them they are young enough in that it wouldn't affect them that much. How does a 9 month old even decide this? lol.

Thud

I can deal with losing sight, but hearing as well is quite cruel.

Would pick memories and existence. A new life can be build on that.

>all evidence of my history

uh. Do other people count as that? Am I vaporizing everyone I've ever talked to?
if that's not the case, memories.

That is a risk I am willing to take.

Also my children are 3 and 9 months so if the memory wipe happened to them they are young enough in that it wouldn't affect them that much. How does a 9 month old even decide this? lol.

Lol you havea point. memory wipe for them is basically nothing. but then what happens if your wife picks the same as you. How are you taking care of those kids.

You are best taping a photo of you and your wife and kids to yourself at all times. Pick memory loss and hope that your humanity kicks in when you wake up, see two defensless kiddies and a picture of you as their dad. Then go from their. You lose 9 months of memories of the oldest but still get the rest of your life. You wife will do the same and together you regrow your bond and create many of new memories.

Memory loss is the only answer that makes sense.

LordKasual

Banned
1) I assume we're talking about "Movie Amnesia" where you keep your language and knowledge of objects, but just don't know anyone or anything specific anymore? Because losing all history and memories forever would essentially mean that you died and never woke up. So this option basically just rebirths you, it would be neither good nor bad as long as you're okay with your current self no longer existing.

2) Everyone who chooses this option becomes Helen Keller.

3) Everyone who chooses this option becomes a cripple who likely won't be able to take care of themselves without #1.

The entire population will be either deeply confused idiots, people who can take almost zero information from the environment, or people who can barely interact with the environment.

No matter what you choose, humanity would probably never recover from this.

Rebuilding humanity would probably be entirely up to the people who chose #3. #2 people would only ever be useful in the presence of a #1 being guided by a #3.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Arms and legs.

2 and 3 could teach 1 how to do things again. Teachers are a thing.

You're not going to remember that you have a family though.

Yes but they’re going to remember me. It didn’t say losing my memory was going to turn me into some freak incapable of accepting help

Edit: just realized the choice would be presented to everyone. I was previously under the impression it would only be me. My answer wouldn’t change. I wouldn’t want to live through such chaos so wipe the memory of that which was me and let this sob figure things out on his own... no longer my problem :(

With no memories or even evidence of my own existence, whoever wakes up would not be me at all. Why should I care about this perfect stranger's survival or happiness? This being with my body might make new memories or whatever but I would essentially be dead. Might as well not wake up at all.

I guess it's the most altruistic "my body would be the most helpful to the people around me" option. But I'm not even confident that the new me would actually turn out to be benevolent and not be some cannibalistic maniac or something.

Choosing memories seems utterly insane to me. You essentially asking to lose "you". You as you know it might as well be dead.

Like, it's not like you'll forget a few embarrassing things and still know who you are as a person. That's a total reset and everything about you, your values, experiences, etc, will be gone. It seems like easily the worst one.

This is no fun. If you're taking away something, you have to give something in return. For instance, lose your limbs, gain telekinesis. Something like that.

So with options two and three chances are you die of dehydration after being unable to get to a water source.
More likely with option 3 than with option 2.

Although I wish I could amend option 2 to Lose "sight and speech", but this discussion is already going so I'll just keep it as is.

T.v

We are our memories. Losing every memory would be no different to you than dying.
Still sounds like a better deal than the other two though.

If this is true memory loss, you won't know shit. Not even how to hold your poop. Your presence on the planet is wiped. You are nothing to any one.

I not sure how so many of you are choosing this. Jesus.

No arms and legs for me. Prosthetics are making great strides.

Choosing memories seems utterly insane to me. You essentially asking to lose "you". You as you know it might as well be dead.

Like, it's not like you'll forget a few embarrassing things and still know who you are as a person. That's a total reset and everything about you, your values, experiences, etc, will be gone. It seems like easily the worst one.

OK lets phrase it a different way.

Option 1 is, as you say, basically death. Its painless and its over. Someone will still be using you body but it wont be you as you know.

Option 2 and 3 are also basically death with some form of utterly misserable existance before you die in probably some horrible way.

You need to understand this option is given to everyone on the planet. You are entering mad max hell on earth life when everyone wakes up. utter chaos. You think the deaf / blind and quadriplegics will live any sort of worth while existance in that situation.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
memories easily.
you cant miss what you dont know.

also i would be vastly superior to anyone choosing option 2 or 3

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Humanity instantly falls apart with 2 and 3 so it's gotta be 1.

Should really restrict 3 to "lose your legs only" and 2 to "lose your sight only".

Apathy

Memories. Already half blind, had to have surgery for it and my biggest fear was being completely blind because of an error m would rather be dead than blind.

bosseye

If this is true memory loss, you won't know shit. Not even how to hold your poop. Your presence on the planet is wiped. You are nothing to any one.

I not sure how so many of you are choosing this. Jesus.

No arms and legs for me. Prosthetics are making great strides.

A lot of you aren't picking up on the fact that this is everyone in the world choosing an option.

So you choose to lose your arms and legs because you can have prosthetic options fitted; who is doing the fitting? The memory wipe crazy people, the people with no arms or legs or the deaf blind people?

Good luck getting those false arms and legs sourced, sized and fitted....

Kenstar

I pick no limbs lol I'll just walk into the fully staffed kaiser Permanente in the apocolypse world and have them fit me with prosthetics paid for by my still functioning insurance company somehow

my memories are VERY important I'll have you know

A lot of you aren't picking up on the fact that this is everyone in the world choosing an option.

So you choose to lose your arms and legs because you can have prosthetic options fitted; who is doing the fitting? The memory wipe crazy people, the people with no arms or legs or the deaf blind people?

Good luck getting those false arms and legs sourced, sized and fitted....

Then we all lose.

The 'No limbs' will require assistance, which they won't get from the mindless blank slates or the people who can't see or hear them. If they work together they can maybe rebuild as a limbless society. That's a big maybe tho.

The blind and deaf will have functionality in their immediate area(kind of like how you can navigate your room in pitch blackness), but won't be able to do anything out the house.

The memory-less are dead the moment they wake up.

Top Bottom