• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'You, sir, shut up!’: Republican congressman shouts down a constituent at town hall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

‘You, sir, shut up!': Republican congressman shouts down a constituent at tense town hall

15844819_10158007163515597_744339822776642420_o.jpg
A Republican congressman from Texas is caught in a firestorm after he told a constituent to ”shut up."

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) was speaking Saturday at a town hall event in Frost, a small town not far from Arlington, when he said he opposed federal legislation protecting women from violence, because it is a state issue. The crowd erupted over Barton's remarks, and the moment was captured on video.

”Violence against women — that's a national issue!" an attendee shouted. ”That is an issue that impacts everyone, everywhere — not only in this country but everywhere."

That comment spurred more loud reactions from the crowd, with one man in particular prompting this from the congressman:

”You, sir, shut up."

The crowd responded with a combination of apparent anger and applause, with one attendee screaming: ”What is that? You don't tell anybody to shut up! You work for us!"

”I appreciate the interest and participation at every town hall meeting I host," Barton said in a statement. ”These are unscripted live meetings. Over the weekend in Frost, one gentlemen continued to speak over myself and many others who were seeking recognition in orderly fashion.

”I did, however, return to him for the last question of the meeting and allow him the opportunity to voice his concerns."

Chris Lewis told the Star-Telegram that he was the constituent Barton called out at the town hall, and he acknowledged he'd perhaps gotten a little too vocal.

”Passions were rising," Lewis, a teacher, told the newspaper. ”Honestly, I was speaking out of turn."

Of Barton's exhortation for him to shut up, Lewis said, ”I've heard worse."

Chaotic scenes have been playing out in Republican town hall events across the United States. ”Swarming crowds and hostile questions are the new normal" and ”an early indication of how progressive opposition movements are mobilizing against the agenda of the GOP and President Trump," The Washington Post reported.

On his Twitter account, Barton noted, ”I work for the people of the 6th District of Texas and am honored to represent them in Washington."

A 32-year veteran of the House, he represents the Arlington area, in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.

Metaroo

Rudeness aside... How in the hell would violence be a state issue? Are conservatives serious?

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy didn't know the tail side of anything dealing with law. He got in office, made it up as he went along, and now can decide his own facts when its most convenient for him.

Damaniel

Banned
Rudeness aside... How in the hell would violence be a state issue? Are conservatives serious?

State issue in this case = I don't agree with banning the thing in question.

You have to wonder just how much Congressman Barton likes beating his wife...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Reminder, this was the same dickhead that apologized to BP for our ocean getting in the way of their oil back in 2010.

10th amendment. Anything not in the constitution is under the control of the states. Which constitutional provision gives the federal government power in this area?

That is the argument anyhow.

Amir0x

Banned
This is so Texan that even the guy who was told the shut up was like "ya know I got out of line I deserved it."

Chris Lewis told the Star-Telegram that he was the constituent Barton called out at the town hall, and he acknowledged he'd perhaps gotten a little too vocal.

”Passions were rising," Lewis, a teacher, told the newspaper. ”Honestly, I was speaking out of turn."

Like an abused spouse who has been abused so long they don't know different. Backward ass state

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.) was speaking Saturday at a town hall event in Frost, a small town not far from Arlington, when he said he opposed federal legislation protecting women from violence, because it is a state issue.
How much do you have to hate women to argue that not beating them is a state issue?

On his Twitter account, Barton noted, “I work for the people of the 6th District of Texas and am honored to represent them in Washington.”
Oh, nevermind. He works for them and is honored to represent them. Carry on.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
GOP - "Hey, women, we want what's best for you!"
Women - "Ohh, good, does that mean you support federal legislation protecting women from violence?"
GOP - "Lol no, we gonna make it illegal for you to decide what to do with your bodies! Ohh, and we gonna cut funding to Planned Parenthood."

This is so Texan that even the guy who was told the shut up was like "ya know I got out of line I deserved it."

Like an abused spouse who has been abused so long they don't know different. Backward ass state

seriously if i was that guy's wife and heard that's how he responded, i'd grab him by the balls and pull him close and whisper-call him a pussy. grow a fucking pair man ffs

Zophar

They've gotten way more open about their contempt for voters since Trump rolled into town, across the country. No surprise here.

devilhawk

There are many, many laws that you think are national but, in fact, are on the state level.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked how little people know the role federalism plays in our legal system.

Pretty soon they're just going to start killing and eating these guys. The fuckery is almost too much for the public to bear.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I should reiterate that there is a video of this, and it's good. Because I don't see it being mentioned that much in this thread or in the OP.

TheOGB

Banned
I hate that these guys have made "states' rights" effectively translate to "Stop telling me to clean my room MOM, I DO WHAT I WANT"

EGM1966

So a state could decide that violence against women is okay? What about a state that decides civil disputes are decided with a duel at dawn? Or a state that says an age of consent of 11 is fine?

C'mon US I thought you were better than this. Women's rights are clearly a national issue. What's up with the Republicans with this shit?

I mean telling one to shut up is straight up no way any representative should talk to someone but he did let him speak his mind later and the guy said he was at fault.

the eventual answer to the outbursts isn't even mentioned. (we can guess it though).

Times are weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom