• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite 16 bits platform game?

.Anema

I like MM2 and MM3 quite a bit more than the X games. Probably has a lot to do with nostalgia, but many 16 bit sequels suffer from "super" syndrome. Bigger sprites etc but just not as tight as the earlier entries. I can see people preferring the X series... probably time to replay the whole series for me so I can reappraise!

Yeah, maybe you should replay the X saga. Besides of the "nostalgia" feels, MMX4 is one of the perfect entries in the Megaman universe. Give it a try, especially with Zero!

not even one Super Metroid mention yet smh

We need some love to Metroid, Megaman and Sonic here! hahaha.
Also, no love for Aero the Acrobat?, C'mon!

umihara kawase

UmiharaKawaseJ032.png

maybe not my absolute favourite 16-bit platformer, but still one that I love that is very unique and just so damn charming.

Crisium

1. Super Mario World
2. Donkey Kong Country 2
3. Yoshi's Island
4. Sonic 3 and Knuckles
5. Donkey Kong Country

Though I am very conservative about what constitutes a platformer. Super Metroid doesn't count in my head.

I wish I could rate Sonic 3 and Knuckles higher, it really is amazing. But the top 3 SNES games are just too good.

sephiroth7x

Sorry, this thread finished with SMW...

Though i do love me a bit of Donkey Kong Country and Bubsy (More nostalgia than pure brilliance)...

This thread is no fun because everyone brings up the same games. Dig a little deeper people!

Earth Worm Jim, Aladdin, Castle of Illusion... This era was bursting with platformers.

nkarafo

yoshi_790screen003.jpg

s3k_title.png

1138226-dkc2.png

Can't decide which...

And i do not consider Super Metroid a platformer. Its an adventure/shooter with platforming elements. That's good because everyone should just pick Super Metroid otherwise. At least now there are a few games contending to keep the thread interesting.

Celine

I'm the only one who differ between sidescrolling action game and platform game?

Oh well, a few great platform game rarely cited:

Doremi Fantasy (SNES)
Do-Re-Mi%20Fantasy%20-%20Milon%20no%20Dokidoki%20Dai-2-full.png

Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure (SNES)
rainbow2.png

Sparkster (SNES)
sparkstersnes-1.png

Aladdin (SNES)
snes85.png

Wagyan Paradise (SNES)
gfs_8505_2_2.jpg

The misadventure of Flink (Mega Drive)
fli2.png

High Sea Havoc (Mega Drive)
captnhavoc01.png

World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
world_of_illusion_starring_mickey_mouse_&_donald_duck.gif

New Adventure Island (PC Engine)
63695-New_Adventure_Island_%28USA%29-7.jpg

.Anema

I'm the only one who differ between sidescrolling action game and platform game?

Doremi Fantasy (SNES)
Do-Re-Mi%20Fantasy%20-%20Milon%20no%20Dokidoki%20Dai-2-full.png

Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure (SNES)
rainbow2.png

Sparkster (SNES)
sparkstersnes-1.png

The misadventure of Flink (Mega Drive)
fli2.png

High Sea Havoc (Mega Drive)
captnhavoc01.png

You're my man!
And that's why I made this thread, I mean, Joe & Mac, Aladdin, Megaman, Metroid, Earthworm Jim, Jurassic Park 2!
There's a lot of awesome games, going only for SMW it's kinda disappointing...

Celine

You're my man!
And that's why I made this thread, I mean, Joe & Mac, Aladdin, Megaman, Metroid, Earthworm Jim, Jurassic Park 2!
There's a lot of awesome games, going only for SMW it's kinda disappointing...
I've updated the post with a few I forgot.

ElTopo

Banned
Probably Sonic 3 & Knuckles

zckW1ZZl.jpg

This. Sonic 2 and 3/Knuckles are probably the greatest 16 bit platformers ever made. Mario is fun, but Sonic had style. Emphasis on "had."

Rocket Knight is a good choice. Damn fine game.

Do you guys think Out of This World/Another World counts? I mean, it's technically a platformer.

Ristar is another fantastic game. Too bad it was ignored. I'd rather see Ristar incorporated into the Sonic universe and seeing the two of them team up rather then Sonic clone #3 or Amy Rose (ugh).

Had a lot of fun with Donkey Kong Country and it's held up well. I don't like the sequels at all, I think it's because they don't actually have Donkey Kong as a playable character (I never liked Diddy).

I had Super Adventure Island on the SNES. Never completed it though - wasn't skilled enough back then! So many memories coming back - that music: da daa da da, du du da da da da da!!!

ChrisD

As a kid, Yoshi's Island was one of my brother and I's favorite. Years later we would get Sonic Mega Collection on GameCube and completely fall in love with Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It's so hard to choose just one of them. Yoshi's Island has the better visuals and more laid-back collection aspect, but Sonic 3aK has the amazing soundtrack and better stages.

Will have to cheat and go with both. They are different systems, after all.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
As expected there's a Sega and Nintendo hegemony.
I'll remedy with my favorite Amiga games:

-Superfrog
super_frog.gif

-Fire and Ice
Fire_and_Ice-2.png

-First Samurai
First_Samourai-3.png

I really miss platformers with big non-linear maps :(

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This thread is no fun because everyone brings up the same games. Dig a little deeper people!

Earth Worm Jim, Aladdin, Castle of Illusion... This era was bursting with platformers.

The thing is, the questionw as for the favourite platformer (i.e. the best one), not good but less popular ones (though I think this would be more helpful). The best ones from my perspective are:
1. Yoshi's Island: Gorgeous, fresh gameplay mechanics, basically inventing the collectathon before 3D platformers were a thing. On top of that it has highly imaginative and varied level design. The best game ever made!
2. Super Mario World: Does this need reasoning? The best game series there is at one of its absolute high points. Refined, classic mechanics and secret-ladden levels, also introducing Yoshi.
3. Sonic 2 - The perfect pacing, well-thought-out gameplay mechanics and high speed make it an instant classic.
4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - The pacing is not as great as it is in Sonic 2, but it offers a lot more content and still is one incredible experience.

I actually think DKC is not a really great game, clumsy, full of stupid secrets, it absolutely pales in comparison to DKC2 and especially the Retro DKCs.

1. Mega Man X (not even close)
2. Super Mario World
3. Donkey Kong Country 2
4. Mega Man 7
5. Yoshi's Island
Honorable mention: Super Adventure Island II

NuKERxyz

Noone played Pitfall the mayan adventure? Its one of the most memorable games from my Genesis.
Also loved SMB ans Sonic.

Edit: almost forgot, Spot goes to Hollywood.

The thing is, the questionw as for the favourite platformer (i.e. the best one), not good but less popular ones (though I think this would be more helpful).

Yeah, true. A general platformer celebration thread would be nice! (I'm sure one already exists somewhere on here)

not even one Super Metroid mention yet smh

I'm sure that's more to do with people not immediately thinking of platformer when they think of any Metroid game, even though there are some platforming elements. When I think of platformers, I think of more pure platformers. That disqualifies Mega Man as well for me.

Anyways, first post is what I would say. The Sonic and DKC were great, as was SMW2, but SMW was absolutely magical.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I find the platforming parts of Castlevania IV very good, don't know about it being "the best" but I think it's pretty darn good in the genre.

.Anema

The thing is, the questionw as for the favourite platformer (i.e. the best one), not good but less popular ones (though I think this would be more helpful). The best ones from my perspective are:
1. Yoshi's Island: Gorgeous, fresh gameplay mechanics, basically inventing the collectathon before 3D platformers were a thing. On top of that it has highly imaginative and varied level design. The best game ever made!
2. Super Mario World: Does this need reasoning? The best game series there is at one of its absolute high points. Refined, classic mechanics and secret-ladden levels, also introducing Yoshi.
3. Sonic 2 - The perfect pacing, well-thought-out gameplay mechanics and high speed make it an instant classic.
4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles - The pacing is not as great as it is in Sonic 2, but it offers a lot more content and still is one incredible experience.

I actually think DKC is not a really great game, clumsy, full of stupid secrets, it absolutely pales in comparison to DKC2 and especially the Retro DKCs.

What? Are you saying that the retro DK are better than the DKC saga?
O-M-G!

Yeah, true. A general platformer celebration thread would be nice! (I'm sure one already exists somewhere on here)

I was thinking about that, maybe we need the "NeoGAF platformer appreciation thread".

Footos22

World of illusion and zool were my 2 favs.
Probably couldnt stick em now tbh. Where as super mario world is practically timeless.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
What? Are you saying that the retro DK are better than the DKC saga?
O-M-G!
Yes, I am, in particular leaps and bounds above 1. The mechanics are way more fluid, the controls less clumsy, the collision detection so much better it is no match, the pacing and flow of the levels markedly superior.
I was thinking about that, maybe we need the "NeoGAF platformer appreciation thread".
I'de be on board :).

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The thing is, the questionw as for the favourite platformer (i.e. the best one), not good but less popular ones (though I think this would be more helpful).
Favorite != "best" (best for who? best on what?) different people have different tastes, story and culture, thinking that Mario is the absolute best for everyone is just being narrow minded.

If it's not limited on Sega and Nintendo games/consoles it could be an awesome idea.

Top Bottom