• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite lesser-known arcade games?

Valtox said:
never played D&D but Knights of the Round was good! I remember levelling up with the blonde guy. At a certain point he becomes bald:lol
A bald Lancelot? That'd be pretty interesting sight. Are you sure? Not that I couldn't be wrong, but I was sure Lancelot keeps his long golden hair all the way through, yet Percival always show off his shiny bald head.

Lancelot, Arthur, and Percival from left-to-right.
knig-5.gif

big_z

Red Scarlet said:
Wasn't that called Joe & Mac on the SNES? Wonder why it was renamed. Caveman Ninja sounds cool.

Yeah it was. I don't know why they renamed it but the arcade we played on had caveman ninja on the housing but joe & mac in the game... odd.

Here's a few other good ones.

Toobin
vToobin'.png
yToobin'.png

California Speed -non shit version
1072270826.jpg
xCalifornia_Speed.jpg
yCalifornia_Speed.jpg

Alien Syndrome
vAlien_Syndrome.png
xAlien_Syndrome.png

Aliens
vAliens.png
yAliens.png
1107358055.jpg

We cashed in $20 for quaters to finish aliens :)

Does anyone remember a top-down driving game where you were driving across various states of america, delivering packages or something?

Oh, and I loved this:

4826b91.jpg

2hzmmn4.jpg

Outrunners, Moonwalker, Alien Storm, Elevator Action Returns, Darius Gaiden, Outfoxies, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, Cadillac's & Dinosaurs(seriously this is Capcom's best beatemup), Shock Troopers 2, Windjammers, Sunset Riders, Daytona USA(I can't pass by a machine without taking the top time in Seaside Street Galaxy..or at least trying to)

Oh yeah every shooter by Cave and Raizing is required, especially ESP RA DE and Armored Police Batrider

Valtox

KyanMehwulfe said:
A bald Lancelot? That'd be pretty interesting sight. Are you sure? Not that I couldn't be wrong, but I was sure Lancelot keeps his long golden hair all the way through, yet Percival always show off his shiny bald head.

Lancelot, Arthur, and Percival from left-to-right.
knig-5.gif
Not Lancelot, Perceval.
The Perceval I know is blonde in the beginnig.
In Knights of the Round, he loses hair when he levels up a lot. And becomes like that one you posted. If you are interested I will install MAME and catch a picture of it.
He's blonde and with the parting in the middle, and uses the axe. Then he goes bald.

big_z said:
It came out on the snes.

The hell it did. That was just a action/platformer where you played as the Predator only. No 3-P Co-op, no human characters, and the levels weren't even the same. Two totally different games.

eso76

Not really my type, but this title deserves some more popularity:

kov_b.png

A well crafted D&D Rip Off, with Dinasty Warriors settings. Interesting game.

Dimahoo

vertical scrolling shmup with a fantasy theme. hard as nails. fun as fudge. blessed with a great engrish intro.

They came from underground.
The earth was really hollow!
Now we are under attack by the Gobligan empire!
Who's gonna stop them?
They are the tough bounty hunters.
Are you great?
We are great!
DIMAHOO
1051200531.jpg

Rad Mobile
1054032535.jpg

Segas first 32 bit game and also the very first appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog (dangling from the rear view mirror).

neopokekun said:
Rad Mobile
Segas first 32 bit game and also the very first appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Tough game as well. The cops were ruthless! If you got pulled over the cop would walk up, talk some smack, and then hulk-smash your car into Oblivion.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
plagiarize said:
Dimahoo

vertical scrolling shmup with a fantasy theme. hard as nails. fun as fudge. blessed with a great engrish intro.
QFT. Played it in a roller rink about 4 years back. Great stuff.

Joe Molotov

Red Scarlet said:
Wasn't that called Joe & Mac on the SNES? Wonder why it was renamed. Caveman Ninja sounds cool.

What's really odd is that the PC version was called "Joe & Mac: Caveman Ninja". Best of both worlds, I guess.

Grifter

Knights of the Round got an SNES port, IIRC, but I always hated those scaled down conversion. (Nobody's hair changes).

Loved Windjammers and its use of SF2 motions. :lol

I always thought Forgotten Worlds never got enough love. The arcade cab had that sweet metal wheel that you spin to aim.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The Outfoxies is one game I recently discovered... mentioned a couple of times in this thread. Arguably the inspiration for the Smash Bros series, it's a 1 on 1 fighting/platforming game with 2D graphcis and constantly changing level designs and random weapon drops that you can use against your opponent. The levels themselves are the real stars... for example, one board takes place in a plane and you can actually get into the cockpit and tilt the plane in an attempt to knock the opponent off the stage. And another level takes place in an aquarium, with a shark tank and a whale hanging overhead, that eventually falls into the tank, displacing water everywhere. It's highly recommended playing.

Munin

Heavy Smash.

Awesome Speedball clone with different perspective. Looks great, music's not bad as well and most importantly, plays great, Just tons of fun, although it's not very deep.
hvys0008ea8.png
hvys0003yl9.png

ccharla

Ronabo said:
I, Robot

vI,_Robot.png

The first videogame using 3-D filled polygons.

I actually played the real deal of this when I was 9 or so. It was at a truck-stop of all places.

We just got an I, Robot in our office arcade! Along with Blaster!, one of Eugene Jarvis's lesser known games. Blaster is awesome, although I am still 12 waves from ??PARADISE??, meaning I basically suck at the game.

My favorite obscure game is Aqua Jack -- forward scrolling boat shooting love...

yAqua_Jack.png

Red Scarlet said:

I liked the arcade version better. It kept the name Caveman Ninja for the PC port, but I don't know which version it resembles more and many PC arcade ports of the time are not so great.

bjork

neopokekun said:
Rad Mobile
1054032535.jpg

Segas first 32 bit game and also the very first appearance of Sonic the Hedgehog (dangling from the rear view mirror).

Didn't this get a JP Saturn release, as Gale Racer or something like that? Only heard of it, never saw it or heard anything about how accurate it was.

Rayne.S

Banned
bjork said:
Didn't this get a JP Saturn release, as Gale Racer or something like that? Only heard of it, never saw it or heard anything about how accurate it was.

Errr ... it was terrible....near unplayable and without the pneumatic cabinet it loses its appeal FAST ! Pretty cool Sonic though ( even had Knuckles and Tails in the Saturn version. Saturn Version was one of the three launchtitles i think...)

WasabiKing said:
This game was so much fun, my arcade had 8 players linked. Never knew what the **** I was doing though, lol.

It's the only game that I had legitimate arcade competition with. All the other kids were doing the fighters, but my friend and I would always get our names (entered as Han Solo and Chewbacca, because we were little Star Wars dorks) into the 1 and 2 spot on the high score list each time we went to the arcade. We had a rivalry going for a long time with Wedge Antilles and Jek Porkins, and after a few months, we finally ended up at the arcade at the same time, and played some four player Space Lords... one of the neatest experiences of my life!

There was something about Bagman that I and some friends kept replaying back in the early '80s arcades. None of us ever got very far, and the pacing was slow, yet quarters kept going into it...

Bagman.png

Oh, and yes, definitely Space Duel as I saw mentioned earlier. Great 2-player game.

robot

Some mentioned, some well know...but my personal fav:

Shock Troopers 2
Windjammers
Outfoxxies
Tokyo Wars
Captain Commando

and the mother of all baseball arcade games:

vBaseball_Stars_2.png

wBaseball_Stars_2.png

jgkspsx

Bagman qft. The clone I grew up playing was Ca$hman... it probably still informs my platformer tastes today.

Tron is by no means obscure, but it was one of the best arcade games of its time (or any :)). Amazing cabinet and cockpit designs, as well.

Journey is crazy fun, but not very skillfully crafted. The WTF factor is a big part of why it holds up.

Pooyan is anthologized on the PSX Konami Collection, but it's bloody cracked, and great.

Zaxxon was a high-profile game, but due to Sega's abuse (Zaxxon 2600 port, Zaxxon 3D) heaped on neglect (Motherbase 2000), it's mostly forgotten. Can't wait for the PS2 release this Fall :)

Edit: And Prop Cycle! I would have bought an exercise-bike console for a home version of that :lol

Mr Jared

Prop Cycle

Prop_Cycle_1pl_Deluxe.jpg

I actually won a tournament for this game. . so I consider myself to be the worlds greatest Prop Cycle player. . since I doubt there were any others.

Shakatto No Tambourine

img_5_281.jpg

Superior to Samba De Amigo in every way and yet the only home port of it was to PSOne with the Mini Moni license. Sigh.

Bishi Bashi Champ

sbbc.gif

Best multiplayer arcade game ever!

Trog

mini_cabinet.php

Also known as Pac-Man with dinosaurs.

Jesus how could i forget this:

THE GRID

Awesome FPS-type game where 3 people could deathmatch eachother with all kinds of kickass guns and powerups. Not sure how to post screen caps, otherwise I would.

I'd kill to have it released on Xbox LIVE Arcade. It'd be perfect. I used to hit this arcade in Atlanta where they had it set up for 25 cent play. The thing almost always had people on it. It was fun and cheap so its no surprise. I bet they made more with it at 25 cents than they would have at like 50 or 75.

Remy

flyersm.jpg

obstacle.png
ironman.png

armwrestle1.png
intr2.png

Boot Camp makes me proud to be an American.

If you've never played it, it's basically a mash of everything Konami did in the late 80's. Track & Field, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Rush'n Attack, it's all in there.

The game made you do chin-ups if you screwed up. What more needs to be said?

Man, there's an awful lot of games in here that I wouldn't consider to be lesser-known at all... But, maybe that's because I'm an old ****er and a lot of you are 18-25, or something. Good picks on the games, anyway.

I loved the last, real mission of Boot Camp. Fun Track & Field/Hyper Sports-like game from Konami. Can't believe I forgot about Bagman/Super Bagman...lots of fun with that one.

Bit-Bit

Help me out GAF. The arcade game is made by capcom. It's like a road rash with trucks and cars and part fzero but with only like four vehicles. There would be jumps and everything. But I don't remember the name. Its something Storm. I think.

Bit-Bit said:
Help me out GAF. The arcade game is made by capcom. It's like a road rash with trucks and cars and part fzero but with only like four vehicles. There would be jumps and everything. But I don't remember the name. Its something Storm. I think.
Sounds like LED Storm to me. Pretty cool game.

As for G.I. Joe, it's a improved version of what Devastators was. I really liked both.

Jiguryo said:
Black Tiger / Black Dragon
Atomic Runner Chelnov
The Combatribes
Vendetta
Mercs / Growl
Power Drift

I know Black Tigers is on capcom collection 2
I know both Mercs, growl, and Powerdrift had home conversions.
Mercs and growl were on the Genesis. Mercs was also on capcom generations and Capcom generations.
Power Drift was on the the satuurn in Japan, and on the PC Engine in Japan, and even had an early PC conversion.

Top Bottom