• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite space ship designs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soqquatto

come on, the Eagle!
VrsoqWr.jpg

mclem

The space ship from Avatar

Isv.jpg

Most plausible interstellar spacecraft committed to film, by my reckoning.

I'm reminded of the description of the design of the Discovery in the novel of 2001.

The spherical pressure hull formed the head of a flimsy, arrow-shaped structure more than a hundred yards long. Discovery, like all vehicles intended for deep space penetration, was too fragile and unstreamlined ever to enter an atmosphere, or to defy the full gravitational field of any planet. She had been assembled in orbit around the Earth, tested on a translunar maiden
flight, and finally checked out in orbit above the Moon.
She was a creature of pure space - and she looked it. Immediately behind the pressure hull was grouped a cluster of four large liquid hydrogen tanks - and beyond them, forming a long, slender V, were the radiating fins that dissipated the waste heat of the nuclear reactor. Veined with a delicate tracery of pipes for the cooling fluid, they looked like the wings of some vast dragonfly, and from certain angles gave Discovery a fleeting resemblance to an old-time sailing ship,
At the very end of the V, three hundred feet from the crew-compartment, was the shielded inferno of the reactor, and the complex of focusing electrodes through which emerged the incandescent star-stuff of the plasma drive. This had done its work weeks ago, forcing Discovery out of her parking orbit round the Moon. Now the reactor was merely ticking over as it generated electrical power for the ship's services, and the great radiating fins, that would glow cherry red when Discovery was accelerating under maximum thrust, were dark and cool.

The movie of 2001 didn't quite sucessfully convey that, but Avatar's a good rendition of that sort of design.

Guardians of the Galaxy had the cooler ship in years.

Guardians_of_The_Galaxy-Milano-004.jpg

They are no good pictures sadly, and you have to see it in action to know what makes it unique.

Eclipse-class star destroyer from Star Wars.

Has a death star superlaser on its stem running at 2/3 power that can crack a planets crust. Just love the front of this ship. I'm glad they didn't just go with "SSD but bigger"

The Kushan corvette class ship designs from Homeworld always struck me as brutish, functional workhorses and I love them for it. No elegance to their shape, just "cram as much armor and firepower into as small a space as possible."

heavy_corvette1.jpg

Tempest_firing.jpg

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
gotta also say the Borg cube is too cool: straight to the point, no frills, just a geometrical weapon of destruction

Borg_cube.jpg

xam3l

Guardians of the Galaxy had the cooler ship in years.

Guardians_of_The_Galaxy-Milano-004.jpg

They are no good pictures sadly, and you have to see it in action to know what makes it unique.

This. I loved the design of this ship only after watching the movie. The way it moves looks like its alive, organic... Just awesome.

BC-304 - Stargate Atlantis and later SG1

1389652556769ipdtk.jpg

Blah, fiction is so lame. Let's get some real space ships up in dis bitch! /semi sarcasm

Still my favourite, even for all it's many, many shortcomings.

The SS looks the way it does primarily because it's designed for controlled atmospheric reentry with aerodynamics. It looks so different from the more utilitarian designs you see on conventional STO rockets - the aerodynamic considerations make it look more like a plane than a rocket.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
35074_aj.jpg

Shame there's so few pictures (and even fewer good ones) of The Bebop, but I guess it is quite forgettable. Big ugly grey ship that you never seem to see from any angle other than side-on, and most scenes set inside are in the same room. But the ship is unique, has lost it's way (it's actually a fishing trawler spaceship hybrid), and is a bit damaged, just like everyone aboard.

The best starship designs are those that can be easily drawn by a third grader during free time on manila paper. I drew so many star wars ships.

Santiako

rshtv-830-yellowstone-nostalgia-for-infinity.jpg

Nostalgia for Infinity, from Revelation Space. The ship is ancient, decrepit, near sentient and kilometers long and it's riddled with the Melding Plague. It also carries tons of inteligent weapons that nobody understands anymore.

I completely fell in love with it.

rshtv-830-yellowstone-nostalgia-for-infinity.jpg

Nostalgia for Infinity, from Revelation Space. The ship is ancient, decrepit, near sentient and kilometers long and it's riddled with the Melding Plague. It also carries tons of inteligent weapons that nobody understands anymore.

I completely fell in love with it.

That is not how I pictured it AT ALL lol.

I love the TIE Defender, much due to the of my love of the X-Wing series.

xMs1GfN.jpg

A close second is Xizor's Virago. It just oozes cool.

eEaISLb.jpg

To me, the Millennium Falcon is king/queen. Most of the Star Wars ships are great though. The Normandy ships are cool looking as well - I've often been tempted to buy one of the models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom