• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite walking sound effect in a game?

Fou-Lu

Weird topic I know, but I am playing Shadow Hearts Covenant and it hit me that I enjoy walking around much more than most games just because I love the sound of Yuri's footsteps.

Freeman76

Demons Souls wearing medium armour, the jangle is real.

Mario 64 too, super cool.

Usually i find the walking sound effects quite annoying in games as a whole though.

Truthfully, no man's sky is also very satisfying to walk around/run around/traverse on foot. The subtle camera shake, snappy controls & footstep sounds are all work together to make it very enjoyable.

Karak

Witcher 3's variation depending on material and which foot, as well as the weight crack on ice.

daftstar

Bloodborne immediately comes to mind as there's no music aside from boss fights and the sound of footsteps really standout. Feels strangely satisfying too especially when echoing on wooden/cobblestone floors.

samsirus

Neo Member
Action Quake 2 had really great running/walking sounds. The thunk when dropping down from high places is the best.

mokeyjoe

Truthfully, no man's sky is also very satisfying to walk around/run around/traverse on foot. The subtle camera shake, snappy controls & footstep sounds are all work together to make it very enjoyable.

Yeah, I especially like the audio in caves. I enjoyed reading on Twitter how he made some of the sounds.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Crisis Core had nice sounding footsteps. It's actually one of the first things that stood out to me about that game. That sounds weird to say. It's true, though.

Goo

Link walking through the swamp in Zelda 2. First time I noticed a foot step sound effect in a game.

The worst for me is "Lux" from 7th Saga. In that rpg you can pick one of 7 characters to play as, but if you pick the robot, every step in the game is accompanied but a mechanical sound. I could never stand to play as him...

eifer

Mario 64
Destiny

Also, what is it about most Japanese games where they just totally fail at footsteps? Walking on dirt? Sounds like you're wearing tap dancing shoes on a tile floor.

Top Bottom