• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your fondest childhood PC game memories

Nekofrog

Banned
the original monkey island. still an experience that has yet to be topped, although curse of monkey island came VERY close.

twinsen, too.

Seda

Ah, that brings me back. I would practically do it WarioWare style with my friends and just do a lot of games in short bursts.

Which reminds me of another game I played the shit out of as a kid. One Must Fall 2097. Sure it doesn't hold up like Street Fighter 2, but at the time it was damn fun to play through. The RPG-like stat upgrading system was cool too, as were the environmental hazards and the post-match news reports and mechanic chatting.

omf4.gif

omf5.gif

omf6.gif

I loved this game

I wouldn't say "childhood" as I was a teenager when I got my first PC in 1994, my Packard Bell 486 66Mhz with Windows 3.11, 4MB of RAM and a whopping 420MB hard-drive.

Before that I'd had a C64, Sega Megadrive and Amiga, the PC seeming a bit shit in comparison at the time.

That said, my first game was MegaRace - which came free with the PC. But I also "borrowed" Wolfenstein 3D from a friend and had a ton of fun with that, my first FPS experience. Later it was all about DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, Rise of the Triads etc. But I also had a few shareware CDROMs, crammed with the likes of Apogee games etc, so that kept me busy.

I later upgraded my PC, got a 3Dfx card and enjoyed the likes of Grim Fandango, POD and Unreal.

Overall though, I don't miss my PC days at all. Every time I venture back in to the world of PC gaming I only end up disappointed or frustrated with driver issues etc. I just love the plug-and-play and comfy-couch nature of console gaming far too much to ever return. But I do have some good PC memories.

asa

Loving this thread, so many good memories and games!

Some Finnish freeware/shareware games me and my friends played a lot back then: (download link in the name for each game!)

Liero (like worms but in real time)
Liero.png

Tapan kaikki (This is really similar to Hotline miami)
the_ultimate_tapan_kaikki1.jpg

Triplane trumoil (amazing same keyboard multiplayer game)
Triplane_Turmoil_screenshot.png

Rally-sport (ultimate time trials game)
images

slick 'n slide (top down multiplayer racing, this game was the end for multiple keyboards)
slicks_1.gif

Assault trooper (I had almost forgot this gem! Stumbled it again while searching links to upper games! this was duke nukem meets commandos style game, real time combat and very good level editor! I spent countless hours with this game.)
Assault%20Trooper_2.png

n0n44m

great thread !

Commander Keen: Goodbye, Galaxy! (first game I remember playing)

Stunts (track editor! didn't speak a word of English yet but that's what your mother is for right)

Falcon 3.0 (didn't know wtf I was doing but it was awesome anyway, and man that manual was nice!)

That CD my uncle gave me with hundreds of pirated DOS games ... man must've taken me 2 years to play all of those

Command & Conquer (first game I actually bought myself, all of my friends bought it ASAP after seeing it)

FIFA 98 Road to World Cup (and a lot of the later iterations)

Tomb Raider II (got our first 3D accelerator for this game)

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit (downloading modded cars all evening, then put them on floppies and trade them with friends at school the next day)

after that it was high-school , which basically meant multi-player only (Q3, UT, BF1942, CS) ...

edit : crap I forgot about this one...

grand_prix_2_coverartvfxvu.png

Exile550

Tomb Raider II (got our first 3D accelerator for this game)

Yes me too! I played the first 2 levels without one, then one day I start the game and found that the graphics had improved without knowing why. My dad had bought a Voodoo card without telling me. It was a great surprise!

ShaneB

I wouldn't say "childhood" as I was a teenager when I got my first PC in 1994, my Packard Bell 486 66Mhz with Windows 3.11, 4MB of RAM and a whopping 420MB hard-drive.

Heh, you had me beat! Had a 486 33MHz, 4mb and an even smaller 120mb hard drive. It had a garbage netscape navigator shell that was awful until it eventually got removed and then I started to learn to use windows 3.1 and dos.

Sid Meier's Pirates!
&
Test Drive
... on the AMIGA

Fast forward a few years
Doom
Fast Forward a few years
Duke Nukem 3d
Fast forward a few years
Interstate 76
Fast forward a few years
CounterStrike

woober

i have to say starcraft, we had 4 computers between my house and my grandparents house connected on lan, my dad, uncles, and me had some pretty epic battles back then.

I guess that's what made me a "true pc gamer".

starcraft-box-art.jpg

Awww yeah. I remember doing no rush 20 minute money maps on this as a kid.

megalowho

This thread, I love it so much. Chip's Challenge, Scorched Earth, Ski Free, The Learning Company, Carmen Sandiego, Day of the Tentacle.. a lot of what I'd post has been mentioned, and plenty that I'd totally forgotten about.

Mixed-Up Mother Goose may not have been my fondest, but it was definitely one of the earliest games I remember playing start to finish alone and it planted the seeds for a lifetime of point and click adventure game enjoyment.

iUe62uLcst0bh.png

Going over to my friend's house who bought everything Maxis and trying to figure out how the hell to progress in SimAnt and SimEarth was pretty memorable. SimAnt especially was straight up messed up.

tumblr_m3hfslAksg1qa2t6ho2_500.gif

Also I remember Christmas Lemmings fondly because I picked it up on a floppy disc in a plastic bag at my first computer show, back when those things were the place to be for the hottest latest in freeware and shareware.

iTQFspJF8eETf.gif

Parallacs

"MOM! DAD! DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE! I'M PLAYING A MODEM GAME!"

EEEEEEE
BRRRRR
ARRRRR
ARUU ARUU ARUU

The lengths we went through to play deathmatch back in the day. I feel so bad for my parents.

Monkey Island 2. It came on 5 or 6 3.5" floppy disks and took up a whole 12Mb out of my 42Mb hard drive. And then the Mix'n'mojo 'copy protection' (which IMO has not been topped in 20 years).

Doom. Who can forget their first time?

Reyne

320614ageofempirestheri.png

Age of Empire. Could sit for hours just doing random stuff. Ah, and the sequel too. As it happen, I never played any more Age of Empire after the second one. Guess it was then I started spending all my time and money on console games.
Still replay this game from time to time though.

Hypatia

Lets see, there was that text adventure on the ZX Spectrum? Or was it the Commodore 64?

...I remember loving that game though.

I loved playing Baldurs Gate. I have very fond memories of that but sadly I only got to play it when I went to my Aunties. She had a great taste in games.

Oh man, she had Command & Conquer too, I loved the hell out of that as a kid.

Ah, and Age of Empires! That was such a great RTS.

StayDead

RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/2 and Total Annihilation for me.

vHmj7.jpg

Hours upon hours upon hours upon hours were spent playing them.

When I grew up it transitioned into Broodwar and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (Broodwar still being my favourite PC game of all time, Total Annihilation a close second).

Seeing Doom for the first time in a CompUsa store. Was blown away by it.

Another good one was when I visited my cousin in Maryland and his friend brought over Sim City and showed the natural disasters and monsters destroying the cities. Was blown away....again.

Ahhh the memories. <3

Tenck

Since I'm relatively new to PC gaming, I have to say Halo 1 on PC. Being able to play something that wasn't a flash game was amazing.

Pooya

I remember playing a lot of this with my brother for quite some time, a lot of fun.

Return Fire

fotoreturnfirefmr6d.jpg

I wish this got some form of modern release or remake, there is nothing quite like it.

Nokterian

RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/2 and Total Annihilation for me.

vHmj7.jpg

Hours upon hours upon hours upon hours were spent playing them.

When I grew up it transitioned into Broodwar and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 (Broodwar still being my favourite PC game of all time, Total Annihilation a close second).

Man this nostalgia rush..it gives so mutch goosebumps in this thread.

Here have some The March Unto Death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBTZqO83WQ

I have a lot memories from my childhood.

Darkforces,Warcraft,Stunts,Doom,Wolfenstein 3d etc etc.

All these games had me a pc gamer since the first i played Wolfenstein 3d on PC. And i played before that other games on the pc but i cannot remember what kinda games to where. I played so many games in that time and lots and lots of hours and years after that.

suikodan

My first PC games:

another-world-18.jpg

I saw a report on Eric Chahi and that he developped it alone, yada yada. I was just too excited to play it as my first PC game.

14368-links-386-pro-dos-screenshot-harbour-town-on-the-green-hole.gif

My first PC had a SVGA card (wow!!!) and could run this game. We had a lot of fun playing this game.

Animekatt

Wacky Jacks - A goofy gameshow-esque game that me and my bro would spend hours on. It had awesome music
jjFNSIseNfXYT.jpg

5 a day Adventures - I can't remember how we got this game, but man, learning about the fruits and vegetables was oh so fun.
jbmvBWQhQFtEhA.jpg

Lemmings - I remember the game being hard, so I just let them die for the hell of it half the time lol.
jMQuKGQ5wAHtm.jpg

Oregon Trail - Played this many a time while I was in 4th grade. Was the best.
j6KCfsT9vPqW6.jpg

Mario is Missing - I didn't know this game got a lot of flack for being boring. I played the SNES version more, because for some reason our mac version never worked. I learned a lot about the different countries in the world as well. Apparently the birth of Weegee was from this game.
jXfEuAgoG1utT.jpg

Dinopark Tycoon - I remember spending so many hours on this gem. We had this in school, and I would always be the last to leave the class room, since I wanted to make sure an egg would be hatched lol.
jb24tsAar3T3WV.jpg

Sora_N

Mario is Missing - I didn't know this game got a lot of flack for being boring. I played the SNES version more, because for some reason our mac version never worked. I learned a lot about the different countries in the world as well. Apparently the birth of Weegee was from this game.

Man, I played the SNES version through at least 4 times when I was a kid, was addictive to just keep finishing it. I don't remember any of the content though. It was sort of an adventure. The things I remember most are the odd-looking npcs and the music.

mario-is-missing-20080807011907377_640w.jpg

mario-is-missing-05.png

Tsunamo

"KA-BOOM! Ha ha, that'll teach 'em." Loved the announcer in that game, along with all its physics and destructibility. Bungie was always good at making blowing things up more fun than it normally is.
Yeah. I never was much of a fan of the genre but I absolutely loved it, (and Bungie because of it and later Halo CE) and sunk so many hours into it.

Lime

Great, great thread. I just have to contribute with some of the stuff that I can remember from the Golden Age back then:

Mechwarrior 2: 31st century combat
The intro completely floored me back then - I remember getting the demo in a PC Player magazine in 1995 and my life was never the same again
mwintroj8q2c.gif

mwolfi5r6v.gif

mw2_064qnuu0.png

Battlezone
This game was so hard to play at the time - I had a difficult time managing units, engaging enemies, resource-collecting. But boy, this game was way ahead of its time. It's still unsurpassed as a RTS-FPS-TPS hybrid (more than the later Sacrifice game)
bzone_d3d92011-04-122wluwd.png

Command & Conquer
Along with MW2 also one of my first self-bought games as a kid. I loved the contemporary military aesthetics and the FMVs in between missions intrigued me to no end.
commandconquer1lov1.jpeg

Red Alert
The chrono tanks, man.
redalertbtpyw.jpg

Diablo 1
The "Fresh meat!" moment was standout to me.
diablo1n5rqj.jpg

KKND
One of the competitors to C&C back then, but it was mainly fun in MP matches against my friends
kkndkkpc8.jpg

Homeworld
Still one of the best RTS singleplayer campaigns to this day.
homeworldn9o0c.jpg

MDK
I was so frustrated that the install of this game made up 152 megabytes at the times. It was insane.
mdkk2qnk.jpg

Mechcommander
Love the loadout management, the salvaging and the pilot RPG mechanics. I still play this regularly every year.
mechcommanderulqaq.jpg

Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries

I lost count of how many times I was staring at the big box in the PC store at the time until I finally had enough money to buy this game.
mercsintroreojv.gif

special_1996_11_mechw89u6x.jpg

Dungeon Keeper
Amazing fun
dungeonkeeper10eprx.jpg

Half Life
The cinematic single-player campaign before Call of Duty.
hafllife37ry5.png

Quake
The amount of multiplayer matches over IPX networks back then :D
quake1hmpjf.jpg

Heavy Gear 2
I discovered this game through the CGI trailers on the Activision games I had. Great and fun game!
heavygear5io1a.jpg

Raptor
I had a shareware version, but I still spent so much time on just that single level.
raptor41prw.gif

Dark Reign
Amazing intro and innovative AI at the time (search & destroy comes to mind).
darkreign1gow9.jpg

Dark Forces
I actually played this before I had any direct experience with the Star Wars films, but I found it really entertaining.
darkforcesejoib.jpg

Fallen Haven
I bought this on a whim because the cover looked amazing. Unfortunately the game wasn't as impressive.
fallenhaven6fpgf.jpg

Theme Hospital
I returned to TH last month and it still holds up. Great, great game design.
themehospitalnppjg.gif

Total Annihilation
My brother bought this for me as a Christmas present, but I originally wanted Dark Reign back then. After the intro and first couple of maps I was proven completely wrong.
totalannihilation1yo67.gif

Turok 3DFX
First game that I saw utilizing 3DFX. It blew my mind at the time.
turok3dfxjir54.jpg

Warcraft 1
Despite only 4 unit selections and no grouping, it was still a great, great game, despite the OP Warlocks.
warcraft1-3d8qi4.gif

Warcraft 2
I played this to no end when being sick
warcraft2ozr5d.png

Z
Difficult as fuck, but the FMV made me come back to the game.
z74qd0.png

Interstate '76
Again a game I discovered through the CDs of Activision. I loved the setting
interstate76nitropackqkqmf.png

Worms
This might be Schorched in a different coat of paint, but the amount of weapons, maps and customization made it so fun to play against friends.
gfs_62820_2_1biqp8.jpg

Honorable mentions, but probably already posted in this thread:
Wing Commander 4, Warzone 2100, Uprising: Join or Die, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Starcraft, Syndicate, Duke Nukem 3D, Tomb Raider, Age of Empires

Top Bottom