• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your fondest childhood PC game memories

Pooya

going from MechWarrior 2 to 3 was quite amazing for me, huge graphic jump xD

they had really great CGs at the time. great games.

MajorGravy

Neo Member
Half-life blue shift (first half-life game I played it was a cd-rom version)

Rollercoaster tycoon was fun too.

that game with the mouse that gets the cheese and the cat chases you in a maze.

pinball space cadet

My childhood consisted of mostly console gaming.

Remember playing Mech warrior as well. That was fun. :)

Eideka

Banned
Of course, also listed it a few pages earlier. I've lost count how many times i've beat this game.. so good!

Ah, sorry I missed that !

Fantastic game, I'm kinda sad we don't get those anymore.

The industry has changed....For better and worse.

skarabrae

Banned
I could name a bunch of games that have already been listed here, but ultimately the game that really got me from the moment I started playing it was TIE Fighter. I even bought a flight stick just so I could play the game that way!

LhYED.jpg

Loved the voice acting, loved the photorealistic graphics in the story scenes... and that story. And IMUSE! Wow. Had fun times with this game.

Colin.

I only got my own PC during the Christmas of 2000. But here is some of the games I remember fondly:

1.jpg

The+sims+free+download+games.jpg

Rayman-2-The-Great-Escape-Sega-Dreamcast-Gameplay-Screenshot-2.png

commandandconquer.jpg

And who could forget the instant XP classic:

pinball1.jpg

LOOM_Cover_Art.jpg

Loom.png

Loom.. I just couldn't put my finger on the name until I opened this thread. Held so many fond memories for me as a child. I even remember asking my dad for help at the time as it was his game. Too bad he became uninterested in games as I grew more fonder of them.

sp3000

Missionforce Cyberstorm

Utterly fantastic turn based strategy. It's like XCOM with mechs and has one of the best storylines in a strategy game.

Cyberstorm41Jan071900.jpg

Cyberstorm18Jan071446.jpg

After what happen to the bioderms in this game, it's no surprise that it leads to the events in the Tribes game.

Battlezone 2

Took what made the original game great and expanded it. RTS/FPS hybrid that still has no real successor.

8403_full.jpg

Unreal

Epic's singleplayer magnum opus
unreal1.jpg

Command and Conquer Red Alert

Still my favorite CNC game, and probably the darkest as well. Before Red Alert 2 became ridiculous, this game took itself pretty seriously. The first soviet mission had you gassing an entire village of civilians.

Command+&+Conquer+Red+Alert+(5).jpg

I think my first PC game memory was getting Age of Empires II: The Conquerors for Christmas, without the original game. I think it was February before I got to borrow AoE II and actually play it.

ugoo18

Abe's Oddysee
4.jpg

and Foobar vs the DEA (Granted it was for Macintosh but still fond memories of being the only person in my primary school class to beat the entire game lol)
foobar-versus-the-dea-114.gif

Ah, so much nostalgia. Some of my faves already mentioned (Rick Dangerous, Ultima, Test Drive, Leisure Suit Larry, Dune). Let me add:

Eye of the Beholder:
Eye%20of%20the%20Beholder%20(DOS).jpg

Xenon 2:
xenon_2_-_megablast_pc_screenshot.png

This picture also reminds me of childhood and being totally psyched by getting new PC games:

Playing Commander Keen, Battle Chess, Leisure suit Larry, King's Quest etc. was all nice and stuff.

However, I will never forget the moment when I first played Dune II. RIP Westwood, fuck you EA.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I didn't have a pc growing up. So my pc gaming memories are a bit on the short side. Two of the games that I loved, and was addicted to; Hot Dog Stand, and Roller coaster Tycoon.

shuri

Banned
Those games are from an era where the PC was truly the master race compared to consoles. It always crack me up to see the lamers posts from modern pc-only gaffers who gloat about the pc master race, when they are pretty much playing identical ports of console titles, just in higher resolution.

They are behind by just about a decade or two and missed the era were pc games were impossible to make on consoles, and were far more imaginative and complex.

From 1986 to 2002, the dominance of pc gaming was flawless. Now, it's just resolution bullshit and console ports; and people are actually excited and gloating about this. Consoles games ports were seen as inferior stuff on the pc platform, and not really worth playing.

abunai

I played the shit out of Flying Tigers.
The soundtrack was amazing, the game was kind of simple though.

320366-flying-tigers-ii-dos-screenshot-devastating-the-enemy-base.png

aaaww shit and Codename: ICEMAN. How could I forget about that. I got so confused by the submarine section when I was 5 or so. Spent forever trying to beat that with my friend, was so good to finally do it.

Codename-Iceman-screenshot.gif

Dizzy-4U

Prehistorik 2: Never finished it but I played it for months.

prehistorik-2-screen17mac1.png
prehistorik-2-1993-lvfut4.jpeg

Lotus III: One of my favorite racers ever. The music was godlike (I think they reused some of them in Top Gear for the Snes).

83d18a605601c08cd6b1fo1z2a.jpg
lotus-pc-game-dos-dosj0jrz.jpg

Metal Mutant: Super hard for me back then. I was amazed by the graphics and the ability to swap between 3 robots.

metal_mutanturq0c.png
metal_mutant_ss_03ldqcj.jpg

Ultrabots: My first CD-Rom game. I think I never beat the 2nd mission, but man, it sure looked good (one of the first 3D games I ever saw).

ultrabots_38wzic.png
ultrabots-016erbyo.png

Boogdud

Ditto Lime's post.

Plus Tie fighter, and the original X-wing series. I think those were the pinnacle for me.

The falcon series was pretty amazing as well.

Myriadis

The first game I ever played on PC was some point and click adventure that was basically a huge advertisment for some company that produces milk. It had the mascot of that company as the protagonist and I really remember enjoying it as a kid. Joe Danger or something.

And Spy Fox. Enjoyed it once, but now I hate that game because my sister played it again and again.

Otherwise, I played a ton of Freeware games, but mostly RPG Maker and Zelda Classic games. There wasn't much else, as I only had an old 300mhz Athlon with a stunning 2MB graphics card and 64MB of ram.

Speaking of freeware games, anyone remember this game?
163164722_d27c6254bcmpce1.jpg

Lure of the Temptress!
I spent two hours to get out of the jail. My first experience with more challenging adventures.

Oh, I just remembered one of the greatest top-down space shooters of all time:

Tyrian 2k
Good thing it's freeware now. Played it not too long ago and it is still absolutely great. Huge game with many campaigns and alternative paths.

MysticX

such an awesome thread

Master of Magic:
magic143.jpg

mom4.gif

mom_kalipressure.png

mom3.gif

if you haven´t tried this one out, then go to Gog, they have it there.

and this game needs a serious remake, I remember back in the day when people wanted it ported to the DS.

My childhood mostly consisted of playing games I shouldn't have.

Doom
Wolf 3D
Leisure Suit Larry
Duke Nuke'em
Many cheesy variations of Strip Poker

I also played a lot of

4D Sports Boxing (why this? I don't know.)
Kings Quest
Monkey Island
X-Wing
Wing Commander
Tie Fighter
Darkforces
many many many more.

antitrop

Tyrian is hilarious to me because it takes place in the year 20,031, but apparently in eighteen-thousand years they still use names like Trent Hawkins.

Nokterian

Al those pictures...i played a lot of them. Nerd chills down my spine. I am still playing old games from GOG.com but also got C&C The Ultimate collection for my birthday 2 week ago. So much fun to play it all over again. And from everyone posting Total Annihilation. This year we go back and bigger then ever with Planetary Annihilation.

Lime

BattleZone was so far ahead of its time, it's ridiculous.

That game was amazing.

Word. It's proof that game development and design aren't necessarily "cumulative", meaning that games do not necessarily become "better" or increasingly complex, open-ended and feature-rich. I still haven't seen a successful TPS/RTS/FPS/Simulation hybrid like Battlezone except for maybe Sacrifice (and that was 13 years ago!).

alf717

We got our first computer back in 98. It was a Compaq Presario 5150. I remember the first game I played was Incoming it didn't really have much of an appeal on me but the graphic were real smooth and the game play was good. I played a bunch of other titles from Eidos and EA like Tomb Raider 3 and various racing games from EA like Need for Speed SE and Moto Racer. Then my brother hooked us up with Half-Life. Honestly I kind of ignored it at first but when I played it I was pretty amazed. Picked up Unreal and Deus Ex later on as well. Still remember being disappointed with how FFVII turned out on PC same with FFVIII. Then came along my first big purchase the 3DFX 3000. Picked up the AGP version and had to return it cause I didn't have the an AGP port for it. Picked up the PCI version and was really please with the way my games looked. Unreal looked fantastic and Half-Life the same. Deus Ex was another game that amazed me. I still remember playing in a clan with my school buddy for TFC, my first play of CS beta 5.2 and playing over dial up with Total Annihilation.

Nokterian

Does anyone remember this one? I still have it original. Played sooo many hours with this and also ahead of it's time. Making ships upgrade them,making planets for your people,boosting your economy. Exploring the galaxy's to conquer or diplomatic with other aliens. A dozen of aliens to choose from.

ascendancy-promo-art-comp1b.jpg

Lime

Al those pictures...i played a lot of them. Nerd chills down my spine. I am still playing old games from GOG.com but also got C&C The Ultimate collection for my birthday 2 week ago. So much fun to play it all over again. And from everyone posting Total Annihilation. This year we go back and bigger then ever with Planetary Annihilation.

I am certainly also looking forward to Planetary Annihilation, but if we are going to compare it to Total Annihilation, then PA will probably lack in the singleplayer department. Moreover, I personally preferred the art style of the TA units compared to the Lego/Fisher-Price look that PA is going for, but it isn't that a significant drawback.

Spending most of my time in Ultima Underworld 2 labeling maps and just exploring. Never made it too far, but damn it sure had a nice map editor. I think my playing that game is why I ended up loving King's Field and Soul Series so much.

antitrop

When our family got our first PC in 1997, my father took me to the CompUSA and we hit up the bargain bin for games. Turned out to be the greatest thing ever because my father only had to spend like $50 and we left with like at least 7 or 8 PC Gaming classics. I'm trying to remember the specs of that '97 pc. I think it was a Pentium 200mhz, 32mb RAM, and a few hundred megabytes of HD space.

I can barely even remember which ones, but there was Ripley's Believe it or Not: Riddle of Master-Lu, System Shock 1, one of the Ultimas, the original X-Wing and Tie Fighter (not X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter), and a few others.

Totally awesome.

Also my grandfather got me the Blade Runner Westwood adventure game for Christmas that year (just a few weeks after it was released). I was fucking 12 in 1997, so I hadn't seen the R-rated Blade Runner film prior to playing the game. That game was incredible, and when I finally watched the movie a few years later it improved my understanding and appreciation of the game significantly.

In 1998, I received Rainbow Six (along with StarCraft 1 and Trespasser) for Christmas. Trespasser needs no mention, we all know it's one of the stupidest, most disappointing games of all time. StarCraft also needs no mention, its legacy speaks for itself. Rainbow Six was noteworthy because I was not aware of the 3D Accelerator requirement when I asked my parents for the game, but my father did end up investing in a 3D Monster II 16mb Voodoo 2 card so we could play the game. I still have that graphics card.

Before having my own family PC, I do have plenty of fond memories of playing Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Commander Keen games etc on PCs at my friend's houses.

Fxp

Does anyone remember this one? I still have it original. Played sooo many hours with this and also ahead of it's time. Making ships upgrade them,making planets for your people,boosting your economy. Exploring the galaxy's to conquer or diplomatic with other aliens. A dozen of aliens to choose from.

I remember playing that. But MOO2 was way better :)

Raptomex

NFS_III_Hot_Pursuit_(PC,_US)_cover_art.jpg

The first game I ever modded. Played it so much. Also, it let me add cars, not just replace textures and stats but actually add vehicles. I downloaded this bus, terrible handling but it would demolish anything in it's way and never lose speed. So fun. Ever since then I will play any NFS with cops. I'm not a fan of racing sims but if it has cops in it I'll give it a shot. I do love arcade racers like Mario Kart, though.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Memories.... I still have the disc with most of my favorite games from when I began my PC gaming...

dosgms_zpsdd39979b.jpg

Hugo House of Horrors
367_teaser__big.jpg

Executioners
Executioners.png

Halloween Harry
072405_hh_screen1.jpg

3 Point Basketball
3-point-basketball_17.png

Skunny Karts
tumblr_lnzz8u4Fpl1qjtls0.jpg

Jet Fighter
jetfighter-ii-advanced-tactical-fighter_4.png

Gaze upon the veiny throbbing glory of the manliest controller in the history of gaming. The reason we don't see this anymore is because I think it's in prison.

KL47o.jpg

Vzt8H.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Remember going to a small local PC store called "Comp Mart" in Port Jeff Station, when I was shopping for my first-ever PC (a Confirmation present). And they had boxes and boxes of all old PC games with those huge boxes and manuals and other things. The store long closed and is now a Dollar Tree, which sucks because I now live 5 min down the road from it :p

Also I remember playing a game called Entomorph made by SSI (who made the old D&D games), and it had a bitchin redbook buttrock soundtrack not unlike the Ys series.

Top Bottom