• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your fondest childhood PC game memories

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
250px-MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg

Very atmospheric game. Engrossing as a kid.

e3m11_02_small.jpg

My dad strafed for me while I held down the fire button. I was 5 :)

HalfLife_PC_01.jpg

Seeing the Half-Life intro with my dad as a kid in a pitch black room at night with nothing but the light of the computer monitor was a truly magical experience. I was scared and in awe. Even after I had the strategy guide and was able to get to Blast Pit on Easy, I had to stop playing because I was too scared to go on.

Ah, I also really liked Ultima Online, circa 1997-1999. It will always be the best MMORPG for me. You really could do nearly anything. I sort of want to play it again now, but on a free shard. The game really went downhill once PKing was eliminated. Any semblance to an Ultima game has now completely vanished. Ah well.

My favorite Cliffy B game is still Jazz Jackrabbit.

Also, Dean Dodrill who made Dust An Elysian Tail, did apparently the cinematics of the second game.

Jack_AG

Banned
This thread makes me sad. I loved gaming in those days - getting to see the advancements and experience them... it felt like learning to fly every single time. Today's technology moves faster and is expected. Nothing surprises like the early years of computing.

I miss those days of being a child. Now i'm just a 34 year old nerd.

My favorite Cliffy B game is still Jazz Jackrabbit.

This, this, a thousand times this.

IMHO it's a bloody shame that he never produced more games of this genre after the excellent 1st and the 2nd installments. He had to go all shooty bang and pander to the dudebro demographic after that with the Unreals and the Tournaments and the Gears after Gears after Gears.

I cry when I think of the modern age Jazz with UE3 graphics we'll never see thanks to the obsession with shootybang games.

Aesius

This thread makes me sad. I loved gaming in those days - getting to see the advancements and experience them... it felt like learning to fly every single time. Today's technology moves faster and is expected. Nothing surprises like the early years of computing.

I miss those days of being a child. Now i'm just a 34 year old nerd.

I agree. I'm a good bit younger than (26), but I remember how magical PC games were for me from 1995-2000 or so.

Also, that Age of Empires II screenshot on the first page hit me like a ton of bricks. That game was my LIFE for about two years.

Also, that Age of Empires II screenshot on the first page hit me like a ton of bricks. That game was my LIFE for about two years.

O/T but in the first installment the upgraded priests were easily the most awesome unit in the game. Unless you cheated of course, with the nuke troopers (e=mc2 trooper) and jackbenimble.

Wynnebeck

Banned
First playing Doom in 94 on my father's work computer while he was off doing something in with his co-workers. Game scared the hell out of me as a kid but I was hooked on games ever since lol.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well never had computer at home so at school oregon trail for the apple 2. Also coding simple games out of magazines was very fun. My personal favorite was taking the educational games and messing with them. Either replacing questions or making a wrong answer the right one. I might of been suspended from school for something like that maybe.

lordy88

256px-Homm3boxart.jpg

Diablo_II_-_Lord_of_Destruction_Coverart.png

This is basically what I would call my childhood. I played these two games sooo much! Remember playing Heroes 3 at a friends house once and I just couldn't wait until we could play it again next time. I kept dreaming and talking about it for 2-3 weeks or so, so my mother finally caved and bought it to me without me knowing and when I got it I was so thrilled and excited, I still remember that feeling! :)

Replace mother with father and there's my childhood as well. I am even have video proof at my 10 year birthday party of one my friends saying "Heroes 3 match upstairs! HEROES EXPERTS ONLY!" moments after blowing out the candles. We were OBSESSED.

And Diablo II was, well, Diablo II.

terrisus

where_in_time_is_carmen_sandiego_main.gif

Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego.
Sure, I played Where in the USA and Where in the World a decent amount on school computers, but, Where in Time was the one that we got for our home Tandy-brand 386 computer in 1992.

the-treehouse_1.gif

Treehouse. Another game for our Tandy, although the game was one my sister had chosen, still plenty of memories around it.

dysentery.gif

Oregon Trail. Yeah, this happened too often.

gfs_50105_2_45.jpg

And then, when we got our second computer in 1996, a blazing fast Pentium 166 with a massive 2GB hard drive, this was one of the first games I wanted to get for it as soon as it came out.

friday

I am going to put this in sorta chronological order.

My dad was into Sims so I spent a lot of my early years playing WWII fighter sims and racing sims

aces-over-europe-3.jpg

Next came Doom I & II. Not age appropriate at all, but you know the deal.

DOOM-LOGO-psd69220.png

A whole lot of Motocross Madness 1 & 2. First time playing both of these was a big OMG moment, so much fun! The first time I drove off the map was amazing. It was also the first game we need a GFX card for.

Motocross-Madness.gif

Age of Empires was amazing with cheat codes.

age%20of%20empires%201%20cheats%20supercar.jpg

Diablo II for months and months.

Diablo_II_Coverart.png

I think the last game of my childhood was Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. I had really enjoyed the early ones on PSX and AA took it to another level.

Medal+of+Honor_Allied+Assault+4.jpg

Man those were the days.

antitrop

Yes! I love this game but it drove me nuts as a kid. The birthstone puzzle and the part where you had to light your way through a cave with berries took me forever to figure out.
I never much cared for puzzle games as a kid. Not that style of puzzle game, they never felt fair to me.

samwizered

Here's a few. I have my father to thank for most of these.

Quake
What can I say? It's Quake. Extremely memorable game.
pFe7m.jpg

Crusader: No Remorse
I remember plating this quite a bit until my mum snapped the disc because she accused it of making my brother and I violent with each other. This was before I managed to get her to see video games in a better light.
oU5ok.jpg

Theme Hospital
I loved this one. It was very challenging for me at the time, but my dad and I would always laugh at the ridiculous diseases. My favourite was bloaty head syndrome.
1vwl6.jpg

Fatal Racing
This is a fairly obscure but fun one. Crazy racing game with corkscrews, massive jumps, and exploding cars.
eL0F0.png

Caesar III
To this day, still one of my favourite city builders. Very deep, complex, and challenging. I always got really jealous of the cities that my dad was able to make. I've gotten better since then, but it's still pretty difficult.
YwPpE.jpg

Worms Armageddon
Still the best Worms game ever made. I still play it online sometimes. I also used to play it with my friends on the shitty computers in the computer lab after school.
vuziq.jpg

Dune II
Another one that my dad and I loved.
Skj9C.gif

batfax

and Outlaws, released later using the same engine.

and then, after spending hours and hours making the perfect city I'd blow it all up with an Apache in Sim Copter.

And a dozen other shareware episodes of games like Keen IV, Halloween Harry, Duke I & II, Hocus Pocus, Biomenace, and Crystal Caves.

Lemmings - I remember the game being hard, so I just let them die for the hell of it half the time lol.
jMQuKGQ5wAHtm.jpg

Oregon Trail - Played this many a time while I was in 4th grade. Was the best.
j6KCfsT9vPqW6.jpg

The best, earliest memories. Lemmings especially. Finding the key to some of those early levels, then making good use of the knowledge as I climbed the difficulties was amazing.

Especially the first game in the series. It's idea of "photo realistic" graphics may seem laughable today, but in 1994 the whole game world was amazingly engrossing.

caesar3.jpg

Caesar III
To this day, still one of my favourite city builders. Very deep, complex, and challenging. I always got really jealous of the cities that my dad was able to make. I've gotten better since then, but it's still pretty difficult.

Caesar III was amazing.

Anyone who thinks Caesar III is bad ass is a friend of mine. Caesar III is so much more elegant than Caesar II. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDIQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fplebs.ytmnd.com%2F&ei=dub0UO2eMoWi2wWUzIFA&usg=AFQjCNGHGW0jprfrbYVmaYmIpO7cE4PVCQ&bvm=bv.41018144,d.b2I&cad=rja

lexi

Banned
hgj6e.jpg

I feel like I have so much to contribute. This game definitely sticks out for me, and is the first game I remember finishing. (Captain Comic)

I played this in 1989 on an IBM XT.

SparkTR

Playing Doom with my Dad, I controlled the shoot button while he moved around everywhere. I also loved all those Apogee games like Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, Blake Stone, Crystal Caves and Bio Menace. That was pretty much my equivalent of a SNES or Genesis.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
e3m11_02_small.jpg

My dad strafed for me while I held down the fire button. I was 5 :)
Duke Nukem 3D
Jazz Jackrabbit
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

I think I love you guys. Each one of those games is a masterpiece, though I prefer JJ2 to the first one.

This, this, a thousand times this.

IMHO it's a bloody shame that he never produced more games of this genre after the excellent 1st and the 2nd installments. He had to go all shooty bang and pander to the dudebro demographic after that with the Unreals and the Tournaments and the Gears after Gears after Gears.

I cry when I think of the modern age Jazz with UE3 graphics we'll never see thanks to the obsession with shootybang games.
Unreal Tournament 99 and 2004 are great, but I think the same nevertheless. I'd literally kill for a new Jazz Jackrabbit. Somehow I feel like Hell Yeah! is a spiritual successor to it (and a great one at that), but it's still not the same as the real thing.

It's one of my biggest dreams to launch Steam one day and be greeted with a "Jazz Jackrabbit Returns is now available for pre-order. Purchase it now and get access to the original versions of Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2 on Steam." message.

Beck

Three come to mind

Wolf (I kept dying)
zHZcq.jpg

One Must Die 2097 (I didn't know what I was doing)
l3usl.jpg

Hocus Pocus (Music)
1IAYm.png

shogunduk

wolfenstein-enemy-territory.jpg

It's more of an early teen-hood memory (that's when I started PC gaming)...I played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory religiously back in the day. It's the only game I've played in which I was a serious member of clan and did the whole tournament/scrim thing. I haven't dedicated myself to any other game like I did Enemy Territory...though that's probably because I have so many games to play these days...

wolfenstein-enemy-territory.jpg

It's more of an early teen-hood memory (that's when I started PC gaming)...I played Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory religiously back in the day. It's the only game I've played in which I was a serious member of clan and did the whole tournament/scrim thing. I haven't dedicated myself to any other game like I did Enemy Territory...though that's probably because I have so many games to play these days...

I remember playing this all the time. I remember trying to play it a few years ago and it's been modded so much that every time I tried joining a game it would require a new mod. I really wanted Splash Damage to remake the game, Brink disappointed me and I never play Quake Wars. I don't have a good computer now, so I haven't tried any similar games.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Hope someone can tell me the name of this game.

It was a colorful, cartoony, humorous 2D World War 1 dogfighting game. It was like Red Baron's Flying Circus or something like that. Or a made up name that was supposed to be imitating the Red Baron. Something along those lines. Like some super-German stereotype kind of name.
Have you managed to figure this one out?
I'm not sure I actually played the game in question, but your description made me curious. Is it by any chance on this list?
http://wwiaircombat.com/articles/history-of-wwi-flight-sims-game-list

This thread makes feel all warm inside.

I could add so many more games, but I just wanted to include this one since I haven't seen even the genre mentioned:

pharaoh.jpg

Pharaoh_image11.jpg

One of those games where you don't realize the sun has already risen.
:D
I just got this game's sequel (ZEUS) on GOG during their holiday sale!

1347956648_computergames-vivendi-zeus-gold-master-of-olympus-poseidon-pc33725.jpg

zeus_screen001.jpg

They also have Pharaoh and its expansion Cleopatra, and there are even some fan-mods on GOG forums that allow the games to run at high resolutions! Pretty cool stuff ;)

It took until a P75 until we got a pc in our house (always Amiga prior to that) but I remember going round to my uncle & aunties's on a Saturday night and playing this all night:
34356-omnicron-conspiracy-amiga-screenshot-game-starts-in-bedroom.gif

The Omnicron Conspiracy
It played like a severely gimped version of a Space Quest game but still managed to keep me entertained enough!

MysticX

One thing is for sure back in the 90's before 3dfx came in to town. You would rock if you had the best soundcard of all. i had one of the newest back in the 90's and with Full Throttle and C&C i was king of sound! And off course with 3dFX it costed in dutch gilders back in the day long before the euro's. It costed 400 gilders. That was expensive but Unreal and Quake 2 made the games amazing. With 8mb on board memory. Amazing memories :D

Gravis Ultrasound?

ghibli99

We didn't get a PC until the early '90s, although we had an Apple //e since '84. First games I got for our PC (a 386/33 w/ VGA card and SoundBlaster) were:

Stellar 7 -- Cool update to the Apple original. Digital voice at the beginning blew me away at the time.

F29 Retaliator -- Great modem head-to-head. You were screwed, though, if your opponent wanted to be a jerk and just keep shooting you down while you tried to take-off.

So many others, but those really stand out.

TheContact

UO and then DaOC were my fondest memories. Despite buying WoW on Day 1, I never had as much fun and pain as I did with UO and DaOC.

ultimaonline-4.jpg

daoc.jpg

Top Bottom