• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your fondest childhood PC game memories

Still remember walking in on a friend, when he tried out this game:

[Movie]To%20Beautiful%20To%20Die%20(1988)_02.jpg

It worked like the Epyx games - you wiggled the stick around as fast as you could. His mom also walked in on him one time and broke the disk :D

ManiacMansion_Animation2.gif

First game I ever played! I managed to play through it somehow, but didn't even speak english back then. No idea how I did that. GREAT game!

simcity-2000_5.jpg

Sim City 2000 was blowing my mind back then!

duckroll

An uncle of mine also had an Amiga at the time, and whenever I was visiting I would play some games on it. That's how i got to play stuff like...

Dark Castle (fucking awful game I kept trying to complete but the controls were just total ass):
GTfid.png

Marble Madness (tons of fun!):
kRs9v.gif

Rick Dangerous (this was the favorite thing I would play on the Amiga since it had the most in common with console games I played at the time):
hJ0uR.png

So. Much. Nostalgia.

Not a fond memory but trying desparately (via boot disk lol) to get Crusader: No Remorse to work on my shitty PC.

remorse5.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh the tears.

By the man who made Leisure Suit Larry:-

Absolutely adorable and charming game that I enjoyed to bits when I was little. Came bundled with my IBM Aptiva desktop that was powered by an Intel Pentium 166 Mhz processor with 16 MB of EDO RAM and a massive 2.5GB Hard drive.

The first world was the best so to speak, everything flowed together in the Lands Above. Some of the puzzles in the second world were fiendish to say the least for me... Pergola, the Third Area seemed more like an intermission of sorts with a love interest and seemed rather rushed. The puzzles in the fourth world stumped me for quite a bit until my cousins came along and solved it for me. The ending with the revelation of the identity of Lycentia and the protagonist plus the connection they had blew my mind at the time.

Sim Tower

Spent hundreds of hours on this masterpiece. Getting that 5 star rating seemed unattainable for me at the time.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Some of my early PC memories involve playing hours upon hours of Monopoly on our 286 computer with a CGA monitor. Other games I also played were:

Striker (my dad loved to play this too):
gCbje.png

oh totally forgot this one.

Also Airborne Ranger:

dos_airborne-ranger_1164.png

zsswimmer

My brother and I started playing Runescape right went it went into from Runescape Classic -> Runescape 2 (3d version). I mean we did everything together, grind together, PK'd together, killed monsters together.

We played that shit so much that I actually would dream about being crazy rich in Runescape :lol

One of my first PC gaming memories (not including some trackball games I played in kindergarten) was playing one of the Commander Keen games and Scorched Earth on a friend's PC in grade 2.

Sjge0.png

Not long after that I was introduced to Warcraft, and subsequently Warcraft II. To be honest the most captivating thing was seeing the map editor in WC2, it made me want my own PC to let my imagination run wild with all the things I could create. Around that time my step-brother would also regale me stories about how he and his buddy networked PCs and played Doom, and it just sounded so rad.

A few years after that I finally got my own PC and was enlightened to Quake and Team Fortress, and those were just magical fun times.

anybody else?
853557-challenge_of_the_ancient_empires_screenshot_super.jpg
I played the shit out of that and Midnight Rescue in elementary school.

Hells yeah. Came here to post this one. Loved talking trash by the diner just before I took some fool's pink slips ha ha!

2115106-qs_super.jpg

I spent an entire school holidays (2 weeks) eat, breathing, and sleeping Wing Commander III. Wake up, play Wing Commander III, go to bed, repeat. Choosing your wingman was always the hardest part!

Major defining moment was getting Doom II to run on my first PC. It had minimum specs for RAM, so I spent AGES tweaking config.sys and autoexec.bat, trying to load drivers into extended and high memory. The feeling of satisfaction when it actually booted up for the first time is probably why I'm a software developer today.

Moff

So. Much. Nostalgia.

Not a fond memory but trying desparately (via boot disk lol) to get Crusader: No Remorse to work on my shitty PC.

remorse5.jpg

Ahhhhhhhhhh the tears.

good news for you, head over to gog.com and find perfectly running old pc games for just a few bucks. I recently played the crusader games from there too.

duckroll

I'll also like to say that I'm not ashamed to admit that years later when we got a Pentium system with a CD-ROM, I also played many games in these two series:

SDYvJ.jpg
Xv9bW.jpg

I was also playing stuff like Command and Conquer, and I've played normal adventure games before that (Day of the Tentacle is my favorite, I've also played Hugo and Hugo 2, Full Throttle, etc) there's something really addictive about playing edutainment with really good production values. I just felt the need to bring these series up since I'm sure most people won't! Lol. Don't judge me! :D

XaosWolf

Earliest? Some Super Mario ripoff game. Too many of those to single it out.

Also, at my dad's workplace:
images

Fondest? Not a PC game, but playing GBC and SNES emulators with my brother. =)

MedIC86

Whacky weels, Little big adventure 2, monkey island 3, descent

Also i have fond memories of seeing the Unreal engine in person. it was a 233 mhz, 128mb ram, quad speed cd player computer, such insane specs for those times.

szaromir

Banned
When I was 8-13 years old I was playing almost exclusively strategies and city building games (or other economy sims). So this was my childhood with PC gaming:

I played through the campaigns in some of them, in others mostly skirmishes or individual scenarios.

Dylan

civ-1.jpg

In some ways I still prefer the original Civilization to the sequels. I spent an ungodly amount of hours on the first game; and actually learned a lot about history which was always my favourite aspect of Civ.

Subspace%20Continuum.gif

Yeah dude, this is what I used to consider a "class based online multiplayer shooter". Probably the most fun I had online right up until TF2.

Going into the dollar store with my buddies, buying as many shareware floppies as we could afford for an entire weekend of shareware roulette.

duckroll

Subspace%20Continuum.gif

Yeah dude, this is what I used to consider a "class based online multiplayer shooter". Probably the most fun I had online right up until TF2.

OH MY GOD! I remember this game! At first I was like "this is like Star Control 2 without any of the strategy stuff, why would I play this?!" but the more I played the more addictive it got. Really great design, awesome multiplayer, agrahgfrihafga. Memories all flowing back now. :D

Mr_eX

My family didn't get a PC until I was 16. So my fondest memory was probably playing Oregon Trail or Number Munchers in school on an Apple II

xenist

Tie Fighter. The "twist" mission. The whole game of course was genius but I remember that mission from start to finish, even now.

ryz

Came here to post Day of the Tentacle, Little Big Adventure aka Relentless, Warcraft 2, Lost Vikings, Commander Keen and Doom. Was not disappointed.

3413-keen1.jpg

dott_AJ_Dec2011_1.jpg

17028-72256-LostVikings04jpg-550x.jpg

little-big-adventure.png

ss02.jpg

doom.jpg

Also:

Gobliiins, Gobliins 2, Goblins 3

_gobliins2_chicken.jpg

Time Commando
time-commando-windows-95-game-activision-mid-90s-1996-bear.jpg

Icomp

256px-Homm3boxart.jpg

Diablo_II_-_Lord_of_Destruction_Coverart.png

This is basically what I would call my childhood. I played these two games sooo much! Remember playing Heroes 3 at a friends house once and I just couldn't wait until we could play it again next time. I kept dreaming and talking about it for 2-3 weeks or so, so my mother finally caved and bought it to me without me knowing and when I got it I was so thrilled and excited, I still remember that feeling! :)

Z3M0G

Star-Wars-X-wing-vs-Tie-Fighter-Patch_1.jpg

Blew my mind wide open.

Was the only PC game I recall playing as a "child"... if I was as young as I think... I didn't touch a PC until high school, otherwise.

Edit: Except for C64... but I didn't really play it enough to matter...

Going into the dollar store with my buddies, buying as many shareware floppies as we could afford for an entire weekend of shareware roulette.
Ah, that brings me back. I would practically do it WarioWare style with my friends and just do a lot of games in short bursts.

Which reminds me of another game I played the shit out of as a kid. One Must Fall 2097. Sure it doesn't hold up like Street Fighter 2, but at the time it was damn fun to play through. The RPG-like stat upgrading system was cool too, as were the environmental hazards and the post-match news reports and mechanic chatting.

omf4.gif

omf5.gif

omf6.gif

Muku

Games I'd post like Dark Forces, Orgeon Trail, Number Munchers, Sim City 2000, Wolfenstein, Commander Keen and all are posted. But one fond memory of a game I've not seen mentioned anywhere, but Crimson Skies brought to mind was Red Baron. I loved that game and played it all the time. I'd love to see it released on GOG or something. Just recently picked up during their winter sale Sim City 2k while on sale. Such awesome memories with that game.

EDIT: I should say I'd like to see the MAC version of Red Baron released. Just realized it's up on GOG for Windows. Ugh. Can't wait until they add more Mac stuff.

Top Bottom